Double

By My Side: Bonus Material

- October 29, 2005 -

The door to the Great Hall opened and closed, and Kibum and the rest of the Frog Choir looking down at Professor Flitwick as he walked toward them. “Ready?” Several of the others nodded, and Kibum gulped. “We’re on in one minute.”

Today was the first time the Frog Choir was performing in front of the whole school. To say he was nervous was a bit of an understatement. One of the toads behind Kibum croaked, Kibum jumping at the sound. 

Stacy tapped his shoulder. “What’s the song order again?” 

“Uh, Double Trouble, Prifma, and, uh, Pulsatione Campane.”

“Just those three?” Kibum nodded. “Right, we aren’t ready with In Noctem yet.”

Before he could respond, the door opened again and Flitwick snapped his fingers. Everyone found the place in the line and followed him out into the Great Hall. Kibum could feel each and every pair of eyes watching them as they walked out to stand in their formation before the dais. He searched the tables for Minho but couldn’t find him before Flitwick raised his wand.

Kibum shook his tambourine in time with the other handheld percussion instruments, steading his breathing before it was time for them to sing. Double Trouble was a classic Hogwarts song and the first song they memorized as a group. Prifma was sung partially in English and Latin, and Pulsantione Campane was sung entirely in Latin. It took them forever to memorize the Latin lyrics, but Flitwick seemed proud of them, so it was worth it.

His throat was completely dry by the time they finished singing. Flitwick gestured to the back room with his wand, and Kenneth led the back row off the dais. In the few seconds he had before he turned to leave, Kibum scanned the Hufflepuff table, finding Minho easily now that he was one of the only ones standing as he clapped. Kibum grinned as he turned to leave with the others. 

“Good job, everyone,” Flitwick said once the door was closed behind him. Kibum set the tambourine away as the others did the same with their toads, ravens, and drums. “Remember, no practice next Saturday, since we’ll be going to Hogsmeade again.” He waved them out of the room as he opened the door to the Great Hall again. “Go on now, enjoy your dinner!”

“Yes, sir!”

They filed back into the Great Hall and found their places at their tables, standing out in their robes among the sea of weekend casual clothes. Kibum sat down by Analecia, glancing across the table at Aaron and Callum. “What’d you guys think?”

All three of them were trying not to smile, which was concerning, but not as concerning as the guy next to him throwing his arm over his shoulder unexpectedly. "Hey!” Kibum tried to shove his arm off, but stopped when he started to laugh. Minho? He looked over at him, surprised that he hadn’t noticed his best friend was sitting beside him. “What...what are you doing over here?”

“I came to tell you that you did well!” Minho said as he dropped his arm from Kibum’s shoulder.

“Thanks! You didn’t have to...”

“Of course I did.” Kibum started dishing himself up some dinner, and Minho reached across the table to grab a fresh roll. “So, how was your day?”