Prickly

By My Side: Bonus Material

- October 25, 2005 -

"...and so, in light of how popular this new game was, something needed to be done about the probable extinction of the Golden Snidget, because it was evident that wizards everywhere would not stop playing Quidditch until there were not a single one of those birds left. It wasn’t until the head of the Wizard’s Council, Elfrida Clagg, declared the Snidget to be a protected species. A substitution for the bird needed to be found, and that is where Bowman Wright, a metal-charmer, stepped in...”

Kibum’s eyes drooped closed before he shook his head to wake himself up. Again. Why was History of Magic so boring? He glanced over at Minho to find him nodding off as well. Sighing, he sat up and tucked his feet underneath him as he sat back down. 

One of them had to stay awake and take notes, Kibum had just assumed it would be Minho when Binns said that they’d be talking about Quidditch today. Whatever, it was fine. Minho mentioned before Charms started that he had had trouble sleeping last night, so he needed his rest. 

“...there were several prototypes that proceeded the Snitch we know today, and it wasn’t until the March of 1384, almost a full year after Wright began his project, that the Snitch was approved as the replacement for the Golden Snidget.”

Kibum smiled when Minho leaned over, resting his head on Kibum’s shoulder. He stretched his arm out a little, hopefully making his shoulder a little more comfortable for Minho. The class dragged on and on, Kibum’s hand was aching by the time the bell rang to dismiss them. Minho didn’t start to wake up until the other students were packing up their things to head to lunch. 

He sat up, blinking slowly as the others were moving around them on their way out the door. “Sorry...” 

Kibum rolled up their notes with a frown. “For what?”

“Um...” He held his backpack open for Kibum to pack up their stuff. “I don’t know.” He yawned as he tried to fasten the top.

“Well, I forgive you, for whatever it was.” He glanced over and smiled at Minho’s sleepy grin. “Ready?”

“Yeah.” Kibum untucked his legs and moved to stand, but he grabbed the desk to keep his balance. “What’s wrong?”

Both his legs, from the knees down, were completely numb. He wiggled his toes as the prickly sensation slowly overtook the numbness. “...” Kibum sat back down, rubbing some feeling back into his legs.

“Were you sitting on your legs again?”

“...maybe.”

Minho sighed as he plopped down beside him. “I still don’t understand why you do that.”

“It’s comfortable!” Minho rolled his eyes as he turned toward him. “Like, in the moment, it is.”

“Sure, okay.” Kibum scoffed at the sarcasm in Minho’s voice and stamped his foot on the ground. The prickly sensation was blessedly gone. “You good to go?” 

“Yup!”