Discovery

By My Side: Bonus Material

- December 24, 2006 -

Even in the snow and wind, the smell of the freshly baked pastries and steeping tea permeated the air around Madam Puddifoot’s shop. Kibum ducked behind Minho when another blast of wind buffeted them, sniffing and rubbing the numb tip of his nose. The bell jingled as Minho opened the door, his cheeks rosy as he looked back over his shoulder with a smile. 

God, this decor...the chintzy wallpaper, the soft and romantic lighting, the various shades of pink covering, well, everything. He glanced up, side-stepping the mistletoe that hung above the door. 

“Just our usual, right?” Minho asked as the door closed behind them. 

“Uh, yeah.” If he could physically stop the blush creeping over his face, he would. Honestly, why did they still come here? They both knew what this shop meant...maybe it was because none of the other shops sold hot cocoa. He didn’t miss the curious and knowing glances of the other patrons, and he inwardly cursed his increasingly red cheeks.

Kibum gulped, avoiding Minho’s eyes as they stepped up to the counter. He mumbled their order -- “Two hot chocolates, to-go, please.” -- to Mrs. Puddifoot, and stepped back while Minho waited at the counter for it. 

He stuffed his hands in his pockets, glancing over at the door when the bell jingled again, only to do a double take. Professor O’Neely walked inside, snowflakes falling to his shoulders and the floor as he ran his hands through his hair. His eyes somehow looked bluer, if that was even possible, a smile sparkling in them as he raised his hand and kissed the hand he was holding. 

Kibum blinked slowly, his gaze dragging from O’Neely to Professor Chanin, whose eyes were shining as she smiled up at him. 

What. 

Wasn’t he married? 

He glanced at Minho, who was picking up their hot chocolates from the counter and turning. Only, he froze when he spotted O’Neely and Chanin, who were still hand in hand and oblivious to their surroundings, until...

“Professor?” Minho asked, his voice quiet and small. Kibum’s gaze flicked from Minho to the professors as he stepped over to where Minho was, pulling him aside as he didn’t look away from O’Neely. 

“Mr. Choi! And Mr. Kim!” O’Neely said, his broad grin never dimming. “What a surprise!” Kibum glanced at Professor Chanin, then their joined hands, and then back to O’Neely. Minho must have done the same because O’Neely laughed as he glanced down at Chanin. “I suppose our secret is out, love.” 

“It was only a matter of time,” she said, sighing with a smile. “Don’t worry, boys. We’re married.”

Kibum opened his mouth in a silent oh. It all made sense, now, given the way they acted around each other during meals. Minho still seemed surprised, given that he hadn’t moved since he saw noticed them. Chanin took O’Neely’s wallet out of his coat and patted his chest as she walked past them to the counter to order their own drinks. 

“So, what are you two doing here?” 

“Oh,” Minho chuckled nervously, glancing over at Kibum as he passed him his drink. “We like the hot chocolate.” Kibum reluctantly met O’Neely’s eyes, averting them immediately when the professor glanced between them, his smile growing. 

“It is very good.” 

Kibum huffed a laugh and grabbed Minho’s elbow as he pulled him for the door. “We’ll leave you alone now, Professor.” He let go of Minho’s arm as he met O’Neely’s eyes again. “Merry Christmas,” he said, and Minho opened the door as he mimicked Kibum’s farewell. 

“You too, boys!” 

The door clicked closed behind them, and Kibum took a sip of his cocoa as Minho stopped a couple of steps outside. “I mean, I knew he was married, but I never thought...” 

“It makes sense if you think about it.” 

“Yeah.” Minho sighed, looking slightly forlorn as he surveyed the village. When he glanced over at Kibum, he switched the hand he was holding his cocoa in and reached over to fix Kibum’s scarf and beanie. “Are you cold? Do you want to go to the other shops?”

“Mm.” Kibum hid his smile behind his drink and he took a sip. “Sounds good.”