Husky

By My Side: Bonus Material

A/N: hi yeah, uh...sorry about the major delay in posting lmao...i was trying to write a fic for the SHINee Halloween thing and life got in the way and I kinda got really majorly blocked lol so I didn't finish that fic and I didn't write anything for BMS. Isn't that fun? lol, anyways I'm gonna pick Inktober back up again and finish out the prompts because I really love writing these bonus chapters for this fic. So, sorry again for the delay, but I'll be posting these as I write them~

* * * * *

- October 6, 2007 -

“You're just the cutest aren't you?"

Smiling, Kibum rolled his eyes as he closed them for a second. "Isn't that a sort of humble brag?"

"And?" Minho asked, scoffing lightly. Kibum looked over his shoulder, glancing down at Jwi. She was cradled in Minho's arms, batting at the stings of Minho's sweatshirt. "Aren't you gonna come say hello?"

"I'd rather not die, thanks."

"Stop being so dramatic."

"How dare you ask that of me?" Kibum let out a faux indignant huff as he turned back around to face the lawn. "We both know that's impossible."

Minho's high-pitched laughter startled Jwi, and she scrambled out of his arms and to the sanctuary of her home in Greenhouse Five. Kibum watched her peek through the dusty panes of the door before she scurried into the unseen depths of the greenhouse. With that, he stood, brushing off the seat of his jeans, and checked behind him to see if Minho was doing the same. He was.

"Let's hurry so we can get a good seat at the Three Broomsticks."

"What, are you hungry?" Minho asked as he walked up beside him. Kibum turned his head slowly, leveling Minho with a glare. Minho sputtered out a laugh and slung his arm across his shoulders, which made Kibum break his mock annoyance. He smiled to himself and let Minho guide them toward the path to Hogsmeade.

Minho whistled merrily between comments about how pretty the autumn colors looked. From Merlin's Beard to the Forbidden Forest and the swath of trees adorning the mountains that skirted the Black Lake, autumn was in full swing. A thick blanket of fog curled over the rocky shore and brushed into the lawn. If Kibum had let his mind get away from him, he might have started to imagine the Black Lake eating at the land and eventually swallowing Hogwarts itself.

The chill of the breeze huddled them closer together, both having forgotten to grab a coat before they left the castle. He would have preferred to be warmer, but...this was really nice, too.

They stumbled into Hogsmeade, teeth chattering as Minho's arm slipped away from Kibum.

"Do you want to go to Gladrags after we eat?"

"For what?" Kibum asked, his brow furrowing.

"Coats."

Kibum chuckled, looking away from Minho and to the crowd of students and townsfolk to hide his growing smile. "Are you really that cold?" Instead of answering, Minho let his teeth chatter just a little bit louder. Smirking, Kibum flicked one of the strings of Minho's hoodie and nodded towards the inn. "Come on, food will warm you up."

Minho trailed after Kibum, following him inside the Three Broomsticks. He was right, of course...just being in the inn would warm them up. A smug smile curled his lips as a blast of warm air enveloped him. He just glanced over at Minho before they moved to get in line to give their order, and Minho rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, we're warming up now, but just wait until we have to go back out there."

True, but Kibum would never admit as much. Regardless, he raised his eyebrows haughtily, almost laughing when Minho shook his head in amusement. "I'll go find us a table."

"Okay."

Minho came back with their usual lunch order, and their food filled them with warmth from the inside out. His fish and chips satisfied him wholly, so much so that he gave the rest of his chips for to Minho to finish up. They chatted a little while after they'd finished eating -- both with each other and Analecia and Gilbert and Marvin, who were sitting at the table behind them -- about whatever came to mind.

When Minho pushed away from the table, Kibum did as well, and he weaved between the tables after Minho on their way back out to the street.

"Oh, fu -- " he started to say as he found that the cold gray sky had turned into sheets of rain. Beside him, Minho sniffed, and Kibum looked up. Great, it was his turn to be smug. "Don't even say it, Choi."

"Say what?" he asked with an innocent couple of blinks. He let out an infuriatingly endearing cackle when Kibum smacked his shoulder before running out into the rain.

They made it to Gladrags relatively unscathed. Kibum shook the raindrops off of his sweater as Minho closed the door behind them. Instead of the usual monotone greetings from the owner, they were met with a distant yip.

Of a dog.

Kibum tore his attention away from the rack of clothes he had been about to inspect. "Did you…" His question was answered before he could even ask it when Minho's head turned at the sound of another tiny bark.

"Hello?" Minho called out, walking toward the back room.

“No, no, no -- “ the shop owner called out, and Kibum peeked over the top of the rack to see a tiny gray and white puppy bounding over to Minho.

“Oh my god.”

“Hi, baby!” Minho said, his voice all high-pitched like when he talked to Ember or Jwi or plants in herbology -- only sometimes with the plants, and that was only when it was the two of them within earshot. Privately, Kibum thought it was the cutest thing. “How are you?”

The puppy hopped up on Minho’s knee as soon as he was crouched before him, its tongue out and Minho’s hand as he tried to pet him. Kibum, smiling, knelt beside him and scratched the puppy behind its ears as he looked up at the rather exasperated shop owner. “Sorry about her. My daughter just got her a few days ago, and she and the Missus went off to Edinburgh for some supplies.”

“What’s her name?” Kibum asked, glancing down as she flopped over to get her belly scratched by Minho.

“Cass. Well, Cassiopeia, but she calls her Cass.”

He looked up at the sound of the bell announcing some rain-weary customers and sighed. “Don’t worry, sir,” Kibum said. “We can watch her for a while.”

“You sure?”

Minho dangled one of the strings from his hoodie just out of reach of her nipping mouth and nodded. Kibum lightly touched Minho’s side and started to move away. Minho looked up at him and a second later, scooped Cass up in his arms and carried her out of the way of the other customers and followed where Kibum was leading. She yipped as they passed by one of the mirrors in front of the changing rooms and Minho stopped. Whining, she wriggled to free herself from Minho’s arms and he hurriedly hunched over to let her down without hurting her.

Growling now, she cautiously drew nearer to the mirror and inspected herself while Minho plopped down on the floor, crossing his legs under him. “She’s really cute, isn’t she.’ The light touch of his finger on the curl of her fluffy tail wasn’t quite enough to distract her from her own reflection. His smile grew as she pawed at the mirror, the corners of his crinkling and the bridge of his nose scrunching as Cass bounded back toward him.

“Yeah...really cute…”

Kibum blinked and looked toward the variety of shoes on the other side of him when Minho glanced his way. He took down a pair of the dancing ones and set them on the ground, curious to see how Cassiopeia would react to them. He didn’t have to wonder long, because once the soles hit the floor, they started to do a jig and she hurried over to them, leaping between them and letting out a string of what he could only assume were excited barks.

He wasn’t sure how long it took to tire Cassiopeia out, but it sounded like the rain had let up by the time she had curled up, asleep, between them. The tips of Minho’s fingers kept brushing against the back of Kibum’s hand as he petted her fur, being careful not to wake her up. For a moment, Kibum wondered if he should move his hand or if Minho didn’t realize he was doing it, but…

“We should probably head back soon,” Minho whispered.

It took a couple of seconds for his words to register. “Why?”

“Dinner will be served soon.”

Kibum snorted and quickly quieted when Cassiopeia stirred. “Are you still hungry?”

“I had practice today, of course I am.” Kibum rolled his eyes, his breath catching when Minho’s fingers brushed against his as he petted her again. “We can stay here for a little while longer though if you want.”

Kibum gulped, his gaze tracing Minho’s profile.

Beams of muted sunlight pierced the room, painting stripes across the floor and their knees and Minho’s shoulder and ear. The slight curve of Minho’s smile drew him in, and Kibum caught himself before he leaned a little closer to him. It was strange, really, how still the room became when Minho’s smile grew as Cassiopeia yawned. Like there was nothing and nobody else in the room…

Minho’s eyebrows rose as he lifted his eyes to look at Kibum -- his only warning to avert his eyes before Minho could realize he had been staring. And he did; he immediately shifted his attention to Cassiopeia, scratching lightly behind her ears.

“Yeah, sounds good.”