Safe

By My Side: Bonus Material

- June 26, 2009 -

The night swirled around them, the pinpricks of light that made up the stars them into the blackness. And then, all at once, they were standing on solid ground. Solid floor, more like, as they had apparated back to Kibum's bedroom.

"I'll go get the dittany," Jonghyun said in a loud whisper as he hurried past them, the light from his wand illuminating the dark stairs.

Kibum didn't let go of Minho, even though neither of them were dizzy, as he guided him to the bathroom. He sat him on the edge of the bathtub, making sure he straddled it as he leaned against the wall. His hand shook as he flicked on the light, though not from fear.

He thought he had been angry with Damien when he found out, but this? What he was feeling? It made his fight with Damien feel like a relaxing picnic on the castle grounds. He looked back at Minho -- who was watching him, his red-rimmed eyes wide -- and dragged his hands through his hair before he sat down before him.

His skin was still red and smarting, from what exactly, Kibum wasn't sure. A slap, most likely. There was a thin red strip cutting through his bottom lip, the skin beneath ballooned and a bright purple.

More than anything, Kibum wanted to go right back to Manchester. Try out a few hexes. Maybe an Unforgivable Spell or two. He'd figure it out when he'd get there.

But, the fire roaring inside him died as soon as he met Minho's gaze.

Minho didn't need him angry right now -- he could save that for later -- he needed comfort. He needed peace.

Jonghyun stomped up the steps, searching Kibum's bedroom before he realized they were in the bathroom. "You guys really need to organize your potions cabinet, I swear to Merlin," he said as he practically tossed the Essence of Dittany to Kibum.

"I can do it tomorrow." Kibum leaned back, grabbing the roll of toilet paper and setting it between him and Minho as he scooted closer to him. "Do we have Draught of Peace or some Sleeping Draft?"

"Seriously?"

"Jjong -- "

"Fine, fine, be right back."

Kibum rolled his eyes as he returned his attention to Minho, who was trying not to cry. "Do you want to talk about it right now?" he asked as he unraveled some paper and dumped some of the dittany on it.

Minho pressed his lips together and started to shake his head, but he ended up wincing instead.

"Hey, don't do that yet, you'll just hurt yourself."

"No ."

Kibum sniffed a soft laugh as he lightly cupped Minho's sore cheek to hold him steady as he dabbed the dittany to Minho's lip. Green smoke billowed between them, but when it cleared, the swelling was visibly going down as the cut was coming back together. He turned the toilet paper around, drying the tears off of Minho's cheeks.

"You're safe, Min. He can't come here."

"I know," he said, but fresh tears still formed and fell. Kibum wiped away the redness and the blooming bruises with another swipe of dittany and the following green smoke. He crumpled up the paper, tossing it in the general direction of the rubbish bin. "You missed."

"Shut the up."

Minho chuckled before he looked away, rubbing his eyes. When he looked up, he didn't meet Kibum's gaze. Instead, he let out a long sigh. "It's my fault. I shouldn't h -- "

"Minho." He looked back at Kibum, his chin wrinkling as he tried not to cry again. "Whatever happened wasn't your fault. I guarantee it." He reached out, an ache piercing his heart when Minho flinched. "I'm so sorry, buddy…" Minho leaned into his palm, then, once he let Kibum touch his face. He swiped away more tears with the pad of his thumb. "Mom will know what to do when she wakes up, okay?"

"Okay."

Jonghyun came back up the stairs, breathless now. "I could only find a little Sleeping Draft."

It was a tiny vial, and only about half full at that. "Here," he said as he uncorked it, passing it to Minho. "Take some, it'll help."

Minho drank about half of what was left before he passed it back to Kibum. He knocked it back before he held out the rest to Jonghyun, who took him up on the offer and finished off the vial.

"Let's go to bed, yeah?" Kibum said, Minho's cheek before he dropped his hand. Nodding blearily, Minho stood and followed him to his bedroom.

"Do you want me to sleep downstairs?" Jonghyun asked as he trailed after them.

"No, it's okay. We can all share."

Jonghyun hopped in first, and Minho crawled in after him, flopping over on his back as Kibum slid in beside him. Jonghyun flicked his wand toward the light switch, the light immediately turning off. Minho rolled onto his side, making more room for Kibum, then slipped his arm around Kibum's middle and snuggled closer, his head resting on Kibum's chest.

Kibum held him, rubbing his back as he did. It didn't take long for Minho to drift off, and Kibum was soon to follow him, right after he pressed a kiss into Minho's hair.