Jolt

By My Side: Bonus Material

- October 30, 2005 -

The chill of the gray-sky seeped into Minho’s bones as he sat high above the Quidditch pitch on his broomstick. He shivered, glancing back over to where Kibum stood in the stands. 

“Ready?” Kibum called out, and Minho waved in response. A second later, a golden walnut shot across the field and Minho dove to catch it. He pocketed it, pushing off the ground when Kibum threw the next one in the opposite direction. Once he had caught all three, he flew up to where Kibum was and dug the walnuts out of his hoodie pocket. “How many more rounds?”

“Not sure,” he said, shoving away from the stands to go back to the center of the arena.

Minho kept going until his knuckles were red and his teeth were chattering and the sky began to drizzle. He flew back up to Kibum once he caught the last walnut, handing them over before he started to fly away again. Only...he jolted forward instead of backward when Kibum grabbed hold of his broomstick and holding him there.

“What.”

“Minho, come on, let’s go inside.” He frowned and tried to push Kibum’s hand off his broom, and when that didn’t work, he reached for the walnuts, only to have Kibum shove them into his pocket. “Come on, you’re ready. You’re cold, I’m cold, let’s go get hot cocoa or something.”

He shivered again, refusing to meet Kibum’s eyes. “Just one more round.”

“You said that two rounds ago.” Kibum held his hand up when Minho started to protest. “You’re ready, okay? You can only practice so much, you know?”

“...yeah.”

Kibum reached out, placing his warm hand over Minho’s cold one. “You’re gonna do great tomorrow. Win or lose, I know you’ll do your best.”

“I guess that’s true.”

Kibum squeezed his hand before he let go of his broomstick. “I’ll meet you downstairs.” Minho nodded before he left Kibum and flew down to the pitch, running to the Hufflepuff hallway once he hit the ground.