be as one

be as one
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mina watched as Nico slept quietly. The baby looked perfectly innocent, and Mina’s heart felt light. She wanted to lean down and place a kiss on her forehead. When Mina couldn’t sleep, she would always peek in on Nico, it had become a habit over the last few months. Watching Nico sleep just made her think of so many positive memories. Even if she hadn’t been in Mina’s life for long, she treasured every second of her baby’s life. When Nico would pull on one of their hair, when Nico would reach out for her with grubby hands, when Nico would giggle and scream Umma when Momo would play with her a little too rough for Mina’s liking, when she would snuggle into Mina’s chest, Mina loved every moment of Nico’s life. She also loved every moment of Nico’s pre life. Nico hadn’t been an easy pregnancy, the doctor chalked it up to the fact they were older, and she would have been easier to have at twenty nine. Mina sighed at the memory of Sana’s pregnancy, it had tested not only her patience, it also tested Momo and Sana’s.

 

 

When they were first trying to conceive, the treatment wasn’t working. It was frustrating for all of them. Every time Sana took a pregnancy test and it came up negative, they all felt the pain of failure. 

“Are you sure your okay?” Mina asked as she looked over her partner head to toe. “Do you need anything to eat? A back rub?”

“Minnie babe calm down. I just had a little food poising this morning.” Sana laughed as she unlocked the front door to their house. “Momoring! We brought take out!” They heard a thud before hearing the tell tale sound of their dog running towards them and Momo close behind.

“Hey guys!” Momo smiled, letting Mina and Sana shuffle into the walkway to take their shoes off. “What did you get?” Momo asked as she grabbed two grocery bags out of Mina’s hands. 

“I have some pizza in the car, those go in the freezer.” Mina looked at Momo with an amused smile as she carried the groceries towards the kitchen. “Sana you can go put the shampoo and conditioner away.”

“Are you sure? I can carry groceries if you need.” Sana offered, arranging her shoes next to Mina’s. 

“It’s okay, you can lay down for a second if you need.” Mina smiled at Sana and kissed her cheek.

“I was sick this morning, I’m fine. It was just uncomfortable to wake up throwing up.”

“You were the one who wanted to eat week old food, your fault for saying it smelled fine.” Mina rolled her eyes. “Go ahead, we got this.”

“Okay, I’ll be back, I won’t lay down but I’m going to change okay?” Mina nodded, Sana grabbing one of the grocery bags in Mina’s hands.

“Where’s Sa-chan going?” Momo asked as she came back to the entry way.

“She’s putting away her new shampoo and conditioner and changing.” Mina answered. 

“Oh did you remember to buy Hime’s food?”

“Yup, well let’s finish bringing the stuff in.” Mina sighed, smiling when she felt her dog sniffing her foot. Mina let Momo take the food in while she set up the dinner table. She couldn’t help but let her mind drift to Sana upstairs. She had been acting weird all day, and she had vanished for a bit during their trip to the grocery store.

When Sana returned with an unreadable expression, Mina and Momo broke apart to integrate her. She gave them a cryptic smile, saying it was time to eat. Mina and Momo both nodded and began eating dinner. Sana remained quiet through dinner, excusing herself to go get them some ice cream when they were finished. When she returned with a smile on her face, Mina knew something was up. She remained silent and ate her ice cream, grimacing when she felt a piece of paper in . She groaned as she removed the offending object from . 

“Read it,” Sana urged her. Mina looked at Sana suspiciously before looking back at the paper. Mina’s heart went double speed when she read the paper. 

“Are you-Is this real? This isn’t some creepy thing right?” Mina asked with shaky hands.

“I wouldn’t do that to you Minnie, it’s real.” Sana nodded.

“What?” Momo asked, clearly confused. 

“Keep eating,” Sana giggled at her. Momo nodded and took another bite of ice cream, pulling a piece of paper out before she ate it. 

Mina kept rereading her paper. On the wet piece of paper, in Sana’s neat handwriting, read the one thing Mina had been hoping to see for the past year. In fancy Japanese, using Sana’s fancy calligraphy pen that had been smudged from the ice cream and Mina’s spit but was still legible enough, read

 

I can’t wait to meet you in a few months mommy 

<3 your baby

 

“This is real right?” Mina asked asked one more time. Sana giggled at her and put a box on the table. She grinned as she handed it to Mina first, Momo still staring at her note dumbfounded. Mina hesitantly opened the box, picking up the pen shaped object inside of it.

“I took a blood test yesterday, this is easier to read,” Sana shrugged. Mina looked at the object in her hands. A positive pregnancy test. All Mina had wanted to see for months. 

“Sana, your? Really?” Momo jumped out of her chair and hugged Sana. “For real this time?”

“For real,” Sana grinned and brushed Momo’s bangs back, kissing her forehead. “I scheduled an ultrasound for next week.” Mina looked on, her heart swelling with love for the woman in front of her. Her lover. The mother of her child. 

“Can I come?” Momo asked, wrapping herself tightly around Sana.

“Of course you can babe,” Sana smiled at Momo. “Mina can come too.” Sana looked over at Mina, who had tears in her eyes. 

“I’ll go.” Mina muttered. 

“Mina are you crying?” Sana giggled. “Come here Minnie.” Sana smiled and held her free arm out for Mina. Mina stood up from her seat and hugged Sana tightly. Burying her face into the area between Sana’s neck and shoulder. 

“How far along are you?” Momo asked as she moved her hands to Sana’s stomach. 

“Six weeks apparently.” Sana answered, giggling from the ticklish sensations of Mina’s breath on her neck.

“A month?! And you haven’t taken any vitamins? Or gone to an ultrasound? Sana that’s not good you could-” Mina pulled her face away from Sana’s neck to look at her worriedly, Sana interrupting her nervous rambling with a finger on her lips and a gentle shh. 

“The blood tests showed no abnormalities.” Sana whispered. “The doctor said there’s an extremely low chance of anything going wrong.”

“Okay,” Mina looked into Sana’s eyes and saw the love and reassurance Sana was trying send to her and she melted just a bit more. 

“Hi baby,” Momo put her face even with Sana’s flat stomach. 

“They don’t have ears yet Momo.” Sana rolled her eyes, tousling Momo’s hair fondly.

“I don’t care.” Momo shrugged. “Hi baby, I just wanted to say we love you and can’t wait for you to be born.” Momo pecked Sana’s stomach and then her cheek. Sana nearly cried. 

“Momoring…” Sana whispered. “Your the sweetest.”

“Thank you I try.” Momo giggled, putting her hand on Sana’s stomach. Mina put her hand over Momo’s, feeling the warmth from Momo’s hand and Sana’s natural body temperature. “Guys, we're going to have a baby.” Momo muttered after a few seconds of silence. 


“Yeah,” Sana whispered. “Yeah, we are.” Mina still couldn’t believe it. 

After cleaning up the ice cream they made their way back to their room, cuddling together, with Sana in the middle. Mina and Momo’s hands were joined on Sana’s stomach, Sana giggling at first because it tickled but slowly calming down and falling asleep with her head on Mina’s shoulder. Mina and Momo looked into each others eyes once Sana fell asleep, communicating silently. They silently agreed on one thing, to protect Sana and their newfound precious cargo at all costs. 

 

xx

 

“Hey beautiful, do you need anything?” Momo asked anxiously as Sana groaned opened her eyes.

“Momo what the hell?” Sana asked as she sat up. “I literally just woke up.”

“Mina made you breakfast.” Momo ignored Sana.

“Great, but that doesn’t explain the nine am wake up call.” Sana narrowed her eyes at Momo. 

“You were awake.”

“Not entirely.” Sana whined. “You know I like to take my time.”

“Sorry,” Momo giggled. “I’m excited.”

“I can tell.” Sana laughed. “Glasses?” Momo nodded and grabbed her partner’s glasses off the bedside table. 

“Are you feeling sick at all?”

“Not really.” Sana shrugged. “That’s an improvement from yesterday.”

“Yesterday was scary.” Momo muttered. “We should ask your doctor, I know morning sickness is normal but you were throwing up for like two hours.”

“I’m sure it’s normal, morning sickness is it’s own kind of hell. Anyway, I’m hungry.” Sana rolled out from under Momo. “What did Mina make?”

“Crepes with fruit.” Momo smiled. “They smelled really good last time I checked.” 

"Great I'll go-" Sana cut herself off and slapped her hand over . She shrugged Momo’s hands off of her and ran to the bathroom, slamming the door behind her. Momo sighed, hearing the telltale signs of Sana gagging. Momo rolled off the bed and opened the door, sinking to her knees next to Sana and gently rubbing her back. Sana’s knuckles turned white from how hard she was gripping the side of the toilet and Momo hated how much pain Sana was in. She knew it was part of the process, but it hurt her to see Sana so sick. Sana pulled back after vomiting twice and fell into Momo’s arms. 

“You okay?”


“I’m fine.” Sana muttered, cuddling into Momo. 

“Are you okay with eating?” Momo asked. 

“I should be in a second, we can go downstairs some decaf tea might help my stomach calm down a little.” Sana muttered. She giggled when she felt Momo’s hand on her stomach, rubbing it softly. 

“Don’t cause Ka-san too much trouble baby.” Momo whispered to Sana. 

“They still can’t hear you, I’m only seven weeks pregnant.”  Sana laughed.

“Still worth it.” Momo shrugged. “Anyway, Mi-chan is waiting for us, let’s go.” Sana nodded and let Momo lift her to her feet, clinging to Momo’s shirt to help a bit with her imbalance due to the lingering dizziness. “You want to be carried princess?” Momo asked. 

“No thank you baby,” Sana smiled at Momo. “I can walk we’re fine.”

“Okay,” Momo flashed Sana a reassuring smile before kissing her temple. Once they reached the kitchen Sana pulled away from Momo and made her way to the kitchen to check in on Mina and make herself some tea. 

“Morning Sana, how are you this morning?” Mina asked smiling at Sana, who grinned at her and wrapped her arms around her. 

“I’m good, a little nauseous but I’ll make myself some tea to settle it.”

“Decaf?” Mina asked cautiously. 

“Of course,” Sana smiled at Mina, going over to her and kissing her cheek. “Thanks for breakfast babe.”

“Don’t eat until your stomach settles okay?” Mina looked Sana in the eyes. 

“I know Mi-chan,” Sana giggled. “I love you baby.” 

“I love you too Sa-chan.” Mina muttered, Sana unwrapping herself from Mina to make herself some tea. As she was boiling water, she shivered a bit. She forgot to grab her sweatshirt, and it was still chilly because of the early spring air. Sana smiled when she felt someone place a blanket on her shoulders, Sana pulled the blanket around her.

“Thanks Minnie.” Sana chuckled as she focused on her tea. 

“Your not allowed to get sick.” Mina muttered, going back to cutting up a strawberry. Sana giggled as she poured herself a cup of tea. 

“Minnie you want some tea?”

“I’m okay thanks Sana-ya.” Mina smiled at Sana as Sana wrapped her arms around her from behind. “Is the tea helping? I picked it out to help with morning sickness. “

“It is thanks,” Sana smiled, inhaling the calming scent of the tea.

“Do you think you can eat?”


“Yeah, I think I’ll be okay.” Sana sighed. “I’ll go help Momo set up the table, okay?” Mina turned and kissed Sana’s cheek shyly.

“Thanks for being so strong about morning sickness.”

“Oh Mina, it’s barely started.” Sana laughed, bringing her free hand to her tummy. “This little one will surely be causing us many problems in the future.” 

 

xx

 

Sana shivered as she felt a blue liquid gel being placed on her stomach. She knew it was cold, but she didn’t expect this. 

“You okay?” Momo asked. 

“Yeah it’s just startling.” Sana laughed it off, calming down as her doctor spread the gel across her stomach. 

“There’s your baby,” The doctor pointed to the blurry screen and all of their hearts collectively swelled. The baby was so tiny, nothing more than a tiny bean on the blurry screen. Sana almost cried, she couldn’t believe this moment was real. She had been dreaming of it for so long, and now, here they were. He heard Momo sniffle beside her and Sana swore there was a tear in Mina’s eye.

“How’s the baby?” Mina asked the doctor anxiously after a few seconds of every thing soaking in. 

“Your baby seems to be fine, I would put your due date around the last week of December, you can pick it out now if you would like.”

“You pick it?” Momo asked. “I thought you just had the baby when they wanted to be born.” The doctor laughed at Momo. 

“Well it’s not never certain, but your baby will be full term between certain dates, and you can pick hen you want your child to be born, for you guys it will be between December twenty ninth and January fourth.”

“Well my birthday is the twenty eighth, so I don’t think we want to twenty ninth.” Sana commented. “What about December thirtieth? Right before the New Year.” Sana suggested, looking at Mina and Momo. 

“That sounds good, you sure you don’t want to wait until the New Year?” Mina asked.

“Yeah, I want them to be born this year,” Sana shrugged. “The thirty first is fine too, but that’s also New Years eve, and I don’t know if I want to be in the hospital that night, wait you only have to spend on night in the hospital after giving birth right?” Sana turned to the doctor.

“So long as you and your baby are healthy yes.” The doctor nodded. “So would you like to schedule your due date for the thirtieth?"  

“Momo?”

“I honestly don’t care, so long as the baby is healthy they could be born any day.” Momo answered. 

“Than sure, go ahead a schedule us for the thirtieth.” Sana smiled at the doctor. 

“Sounds good, so your due date is set for December Thirtieth 2034. Now that that’s taken care of would you like to hear your baby’s heartbeat?"

“Of course,” Sana smiled, feeling Mina tighten her grip on her hand. The doctor reached over to the monitor and suddenly the sound of weak beats were coming from the monitor. They all fell silent, listening to the faint heartbeat. There weren’t words to describe what they felt, it was so overwhelming. 

“It all sounds good, your baby is nice and healthy, any questions?” Mina, with shaky hands due to her trying to hold back tears, reached into her pocket and pulled out a list, causing Momo and Sana to laugh at her. 

“I have a question, is it normal for people to make lists of questions?” Momo laughed. “Or is it just because Mina is a nerd.”

“Oh don’t worry I’ve seen lists before, once I had an expectant father call my personal phone , don’t ask how he got my number lord knows how he got it, at two in the morning to ask if his wife could spicy foods.” The doctor rolled her eyes. “Which by the way, yes you can. Though it may upset your stomach.”

“Mina no doing that.” Momo laughed at her partner. 

“Yes if you have a burning question between appointments email me or drop by and ask.” The doctor looked at Mina. 

“Alright cool thanks, may I ask my questions now?” Mina asked. 

“Of course, go ahead.”

“Great, what type of vitamins do you recommend? Should I get multiple or is one enough? Is it a myth that she can’t eat seafood? How much rest does she need a day? How many times should she take vitamins a day? What foods are best for her? Are there stretches and exercise you recommend for her? She’s been having extremely bad morning sickness should we be concerned?” Mina asked quickly. 

“Most prenatal vitamins should work, there aren’t really any that are bad. She needs only one multi vitamin twice a day. Yes she needs to cut back on seafood consumption mercury is bad for the baby’s brain. I recommend you stay off your feet every once in a while, especially later in your pregnancy. Vegetables and fruits are best, but protein is also important. I’ll print out a list of good stretches and exercises, they will of course change as the pregnancy progresses, I’ll update them as you go. Morning sickness varies per person, some get it bad others only have it for a few weeks, but generally speaking the worse the morning sickness the healthier the baby. Does that answer everything on your list?”

“Surprisingly yes, your good at this.” Mina smiled at the doctor.

“I’ve been doing this for ten years, I’m experienced.” The doctor shrugged. “Also I was the same way when my wife was pregnant, dear god I’m a doctor but it never prepares you. Anyway, I’ll print out a couple ultrasound photos for you to take home, would you also like a digital copy sent to your email?”

“Yes please,” Sana smiled before turning to Mina and Momo once the doctor left the room.

“Guys, that’s our baby.” Momo laughed. “Our baby.”

“Our baby.” Sana repeated. Mina still had tears in her eyes, and Momo looked at her with all the love in the world.  Sana never wanted that moment to end.

 

xx

 

On the way home, Momo made them stop by a craft store, returning with a pale yellow book. 

“Isn’t it a little early for a baby book?” Sana asked with a laugh. “They haven’t been born.” 

“It’s not a baby book it’s a pregnancy book,” Momo nodded. “For like pictures of the baby’s growth and such.”

“Awe, that’s sweet,” Sana giggled and kissed Momo’s cheek. “Don’t you think it’s cute Mina?” 

“It’s cute, I just don’t know if I want to get into scrapbooking when you two eventually forget about this, I knit, but I’m not a grandmother.” Mina rolled her eyes. 

“At least, not yet,” Sana teased. 

“Oh god our baby isn’t even born yet.” Mina laughed. “We will not become my parents when our child is all grown up okay?”

“In what aspect?” Momo asked with a small head tilt, Mina almost kissed her. 

“The ‘oh Mina-chan you need to hurry up and have kids’ and ‘Mina-chan your not getting any younger, your brother has three kids you can have at least one right?’ Aspect.” 

“While you can shut them up now,” Momo grinned at Mina, putting her hand over her’s. “Cause we’ll have a baby in December.” 

“Yeah we will.”


“I’m a little pissed the treatment just happened to work so my birthday and the baby’s birthday will be so close.”  Sana pouted. “Silly baby, you should have decided to come into our lives earlier.” Sana put her hand on her stomach. She still found it really weird that there was a living thing inside her. It hadn’t quite hit her yet, the magnitude of being pregnant. The magnitude that she was carrying her, Mina, and Momo’s baby. That it was growing inside her stomach. The magnitude of the fact they were going to have a baby. Sana wasn’t sure it would until she went into labor. Her mom told it didn’t hit until she saw Sana for the first time. She wondered, would it be the same for her? 

“Hey, don’t listen to her, we’re happy you came into our lives at all.” Momo turned to Sana.

“Anyway we need to stop by the pharmacy on the way home, so we might as well get go to the grocery store while we’re in town, is that okay?” Mina asked, finally taking the car out of park to put it in reverse. 

“Sounds good,” Sana shrugged. 

“So Sa-chan, do you have any weird cravings yet?” Momo asked. 

“Hm, no not really, I guess I’m not far enough along for that.” Sana shrugged, giggling. Her hand was still resting on her stomach, and Momo wanted to reach over to put her hand over Sana’s. 

“Tell us when you do get cravings though okay?” Mina asked. 

“Will do Mi-chan, but I’m fine right now.” Sana nodded. “Anyway, we should probably you know tell our parents. They’ll be excited to be grandparents.”

“Your parents will be,” Momo added. “I’m not calling mine.”

“Are you sure you don’t want to call them baby?” Sana leaned towards Momo, straining her seatbelt, looking her in the eyes and scanning for any conflict on Momo’s pretty face. 

“I’m sure babe,” Momo put her hand on Sana’s cheek. 

“If you sure.” Sana responded. “I love you and support you either way.”

“I know.” Momo muttered. “I love you too. And Mina, in case you felt left out I love you too.”

“Thanks Mo, I love you.” Mina laughed. 

“Hey I love Mina!” Sana pouted. “I love both of you.”

“Well I love all three of you.” Momo proudly declared.

“Well we love you too.” Sana moved Momo’s thumb from her cheek to place a gentle kiss on the pad. Mina looked at the two briefly before turning her attention back to the road. She loved them so goddamn much.

 

xx

 

Sana gets excused from grocery duty and she uses the time to call her parents, snuggled on the couch with a mug of decaf tea, her laptop resting comfortably on her knees, and a dark chocolate bar to munch off of. Hime had her chin in Sana’s lap, her eyes closed and her ears lowered as Sana absentmindedly her fur.

All Mina and Momo could hear from the living room was the sound of screaming coming from Sana’s computer speaker. They had never heard that kind of reaction out of Sana’s parents, and they knew it was a good sign. 

Mina checked in after putting the frozen food away, trusting Momo with the snacks, probably a bad idea but she was curious about Sana’s parents. She heard her partner speaking in quick Japanese. 

“My due date is around December thirtieth.” Mina caught, making her way over to Sana’s side to wrap he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter