december is no longer lonely

be as one
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Nico!” Sana squeals, catching the baby’s attention. Nico looked up from her spot on the floor and happily crawled towards Sana. Sana opened her arms and picked her up, swinging Nico in her arms. Nico laughed and latched onto Sana. 

“Ka-san!” Nico squealed. 

“Hello sweetheart,” Sana giggled as kissed Nico’s cheeks. 

“Hey Sana, welcome home.” Mina’s mom smiled as she came into the room from the kitchen. “Nico missed you a lot.”

“I can tell.” Sana giggled. 

“Mommy! Umma!” Nico called, expecting her parents to respond. 

“They’ll be here in a second baby, they are getting our bags,” Sana pressed another kiss to Nico’s forehead. 

“Ka-san,” Nico whined.

“I know kiddo, it was a hard few days for you.” Sana giggled. “It must have been so difficult to be spoiled by your grandparents. Anyway, thank you so much for watching her.” Sana addressed Mina’s mother. 

“Of course, Nico’s a good girl.” Mina’s mother smiled. “My husband is taking a nap, she was with him for a while so she has quite a bit of energy right now.” Nico squealed when sana bounced her in her arms.

“I can tell.” Sana giggled.

“How was your trip?” Mina’s mom asked.

“It was good, Mina-chan is great at surfing.”  Sana giggled as Nico pulled on Sana’s long hair. 

“I remember,” Mina’s mom chuckled. “Here.” Mina’s mom handed Sana a stuffed dragon and Sana muttered a quick thank you and untangled Nico’s tiny fingers out of her hand and entertained her with the dragon. 

“Nico!” Nico squealed when Momo called her name. “My baby, come here- Oh hi Mrs.Myoui,” Momo bowed to her mother in law when she saw her. 

“Hello Momo-chan,” Mina’s mother laughed at her. “You can call me auntie Momo-chan.”

“Yes Mrs.- Auntie.” Momo stuttered, rubbing her nose against Nico’s while Sana still held the baby.

“Anyway, I’m going to wake up my husband, you guys are just in time for dinner.”

“Thank you Auntie,” Sana smiled. 

“Of course, what else is family for?” 

 

xx

 

Over dinner Mina decides to feed Nico her dinner of baby food and cut up pieces of chicken. 

“How has Nico been eating?” Mina asked as she fed Nico another spoonful of baby food. 

“She did spit out the beef I tried to feed her.” Mina’s father laughed. “But otherwise she’s been good.”

“Yeah she does that, I tried to give her a piece of hamburger and she refused, she kept spitting it out.” Momo laughed.

“It’s better than when she used to throw up milk all over us.” Sana laughed. 

“Oh yeah I remember that,” Momo laughed.

“That’s why you guys only have rice milk.” Mina’s mom muttered. 

“Yeah, Nico didn’t take to normal milk well and so all of us decided to try rice milk because it has the least of allergens.” Mina nodded. 

“You guys are doing a wonderful job with her, god knows we were a mess with Kai.” Mina’s mother laughed. 


“We were a mess too.” Sana nodded. “The first week Nico was home was, chaotic to say the least.”

“Really?” Mina’s mother laughed. 

“Yeah, there was a lot of messes.” Momo laughed. “Remember that time Mina forgot how to change a diaper at three am?”

“That was so funny,” Sana laughed.

“Guys,” Mina pouted.

“What happened?” Mina’s mother asked with a smile. 


“Well…”

It had been the first week since they had taken Nico home, and none of them had been getting a lot of sleep. Especially Mina. They had meant to switch off but Momo slept like a log and Sana still had a bit of residual exhaustion from her long labor. Mina had stepped up but she herself wanted nothing more than a long nap where a crying baby didn’t wake her up every hour. She had just put Nico to sleep with a bottle Sana had prepared earlier and she thought she would be quiet for a while.

Mina had closed her eyes for three seconds when the baby monitor went off again. She groaned and rolled off the bed, lazily making her way back to the nursery. She thought she might as well put a bed in Nico’s room, they already had started keeping the doors open. Mina groaned when she saw the crying baby, picking her up and rocking her in her arms. Nico was so cute, with her tiny baby features (Mina loved Nico’s tiny little nose and lips and eyes and arms and Mina just loved how tiny and cute Nico was), but when she was crying Mina just wanted to shut her up. Mina swayed Nico and tried to whisper something soothing to her before sniffing around the baby and crumpling her nose when she realized Nico had a dirty diaper. Mina groaned and took Nico to the changing table. She fished out a clean diaper and yawned, eyes drooping shut. Nico’s sobs woke her up, Mina nodded and slipping off Nico’s onesie. Mina yawned wiping her eyes and closing her nose. Mina tiredly tried to change Nico’s diaper, but in her exhaustion she made multiple mistakes that made the baby cry even more. Mina just wanted to fall asleep on the floor. She was so tired and frustrated and she wanted to sleep. Mina groaned, she wanted to be anywhere but here. She was hoping muscle memory would carry her through changing a diaper but she didn’t realize Nico just hadn’t been in their lives long enough for it to be muscle memory.

“Mina baby,” Sana laughed as she came into the room. “Your making a mess.”  Mina woke herself up and nodded. 

“Huh?”

“Go wash your hands baby, I’ve got this.” Sana giggled.

“No it’s okay.” Mina yawned. 

“Baby,” Sana nodded. Taking over for changing the baby and quickly getting the baby clean and lifting her up, cradling Nico’s head to her chest. “Go clean yourself up and get some sleep okay?”

“But-”

“Mina.” Sana said in a commanding tone. “Go.” Mina nodded and sleepily made her way back to her bed, falling into Momo’s warm hug and falling asleep. Sana was able to get the baby to sleep quickly, rocking her back to sleep and kissing her tiny head before making her back to the bed and smiling when she noticed how asleep Mina was. She cleaned her hands off with a baby wipe and nodded, mentally commenting she had two kids before laying next to Mina and kissing her cheek and hugging her as she fell asleep.

 

“So basically my daughter forgot how to change a diaper?” Mina’s mother laughed. “Mina.”

“Mom I was tired!” Mina protested, a blush on her face.

“Every new parent is tired, but not every new parent forgets how to change a diaper honey.” Mina’s mother nodded.

“Mommy!” Nico protested and reached for a bite of food. 

“Oh sorry princess.” Mina feeds Nico a spoonful of mashed carrots and put a few pieces of chicken on the tray of her high chair. 

“Nico is such a sweetheart.” Mina’s mom smiled. “You guys are doing great with my youngest granddaughter.”

“She doesn’t have to be the youngest,” Mina’s father smirked. 


“Nope, she is.” Mina nodded. “Barking up the wrong tree ask Kai if you guys want another baby.”

“Fine.” Mina’s mother laughed. Momo was about to open until Mina glared at her, Momo shutting and taking a bite of her meal. 

“Nico baby why don’t we take a bath?” Sana broke the silence, picking up the messy baby and wiping her face clean of the baby food with a baby wipe. 

“Have a good bath cutie.” Mina’s mother waved at Nico, Nico laughed and Sana used her hands to wave her baby hand.

xx

 

Once Mina’s parents leave, a fridge full of cooked Japanese food ready for them to reheat and eat. They give Mina’s parents a gift of French wine an delicacies as a thank you gift for taking care of the baby and Nico is just happy to have her parents back.

They easily fallback into the normal routine, not much changing other than the beautiful rings on their fingers.

One morning, Momo decides to bring it up again. Nico is in Sana’s arms on the floor, Sana holding Nico’s hands and helping her stand and take a few steps. 

“Nico-chan!” Nico perked up at the mention of Momo and whined until Sana let go of her hands and let Nico try to waddle towards her. Nico almost got there, falling at the last minute and Momo catching her and pulling her close and kissing her face. “Good girl,” Momo swayed Nico in her arms and made Nico laugh. 

“She’s getting better at walking,” Sana smiled, crawling over to Nico’s side and kissing her daughter’s face.

“Yes she is,” Mina smiled as she worked on her latest knitting project. 

“Hey so you know how I asked if we would talk about adoption?” Mina paused and Sana froze at Momo’s question. “Is now a good time?” 

“I have been thinking about what you said,” Sana exhaled. “Adoption is complicated, like really complicated. It would take months to even get anywhere.” Sana paused. “But, I grew up as an only child, and well I thought a lot about how that would affect Nico. When I was little I always wanted an older sister or brother, and never understood why I couldn’t have one. I don’t want Nico to feel like that, and well I know even if we adopt an older child they will probably want an older sibling too, but I don’t want another baby and if we wait too long it will be weird for Nico. Of course I plan on telling Nico about adoption if we go through this. That’s my number one rule, we communicate with Nico and the possible adopted child, no secrets, no sugarcoat. That’s how people get their hearts broken.”

“Wow, I couldn’t have said it better,” Momo smiled swaying Nico in her arms. “I agree.”

“Research first, I’m not saying I’m not okay with it, but research comes first. The process is long, and we have to consult each other multiple times.” Mina added. “Nico has to meet the person too, she can be, picky.” Nico giggled as Momo stood up with her in her arms. 

“Well she’s selective on who to give her love too.” Momo smiled. “Who wants to go on a walk?”

“She’s not a dog sweetheart,” Sana laughed at her wife and jumped to her feet. “Speaking of the dog, if your going on a walk take her.”

“Of course,” Momo nodded. “So while we’re in an adopting mood can we adopt another dog?”

“Nice try honey,” Sana smiled and kissed Momo’s cheek.

“That was cute,” Mina giggled. “Leave Nico though she sneezed the other day when I had her out with me so she’s either getting sick or has allergies.”

“Aww but I wanted to play spaceship with her again?”

“What is spaceship?” Sana asked. 

“Don’t want to know.” Mina nodded. “Come here Nico.” Nico giggled and reached for her Mommy, leaning over in Momo’s arms, Mina pulled Nico onto her lap and Nico cuddled into her giggling.  

“Do you guys want to go out to dinner tonight?” Sana asked, laying on the couch next to Mina and kissing her cheek. 

“Sure, but Nico needs a bath and possible diaper change.” Mina nodded. “And Momo go ahead and walk the dog now she gets restless right around this time.”

“Okay,” Momo nodded, kissing Nico then Mina. 

“Where’s my kiss?” Sana pouted.

“Later."

“No now,” Sana pouted.

“Stop being a child sweetheart Nico is watching you,” Momo chastised. “Your setting a bad example.”

“Kiss me,” Sana pouted. “Please,” Sana’s voice went up an octave and she pouted cutely. 

“Fine,” Momo groaned and leaned down to leave a small kiss on Sana’s puckered lips.  

“Thank you Momoring,” Sana smiled. “I love you.” Momo blushed at the sudden confession and ran away. 

“She’s so cute,” Sana giggled. 

“Adorable,” Mina laughed as Nico squirmed in her lap. “Come on baby, bath time.”

“Nico-ya,” Sana lifted the child and swung her around in a circle. “Bath time.” Nico babbled something vaguely like the word bath and Sana kissed her before standing up. “We should team up, she’s messy.”

“Your right,” Mina nodded. “Hey, if we do adopt another kid, we need to have an agreement, they need to be treated equally?”

“Of course,” Sana nodded. “I may not have had any real siblings but I understand that it can be hard but important to treat kids like equals. But

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter