CHAPTER 8: A Strange Night

PICK ME! NEKKOYA! - Choi Yena and Jo Yuri - (Produce 48 Love Story) -IZ*ONE -

 

[[YURI’S POV]]

 

 

Today was the finally the day where we all started to get practice for our first mission. Some of us got confused on some parts of the choreography especially the Japanese trainees since this was a different training for them and Korean training system was extremely hard. After the exhausting and confusing practice in the main studio, we all went to our class.

 

 

They suggested an efficient and effective way to optimize our time practicing by doing it with pairs before our vocals and dance training class. I think it was a good idea as long as that girl at the other side of the corner of this room was not my partner and I got a bad feeling about this.

 

 

“When you got your papers, don’t open it yet. Let’s wait everyone to have their own papers. Let’s open it together at the count of three.” Chaeyeon suggested.

 

 

When I picked my paper in the box, I took a quick peek of it. I think it has a curve on it.

 

 

“Everyone, got their own paper?” Chaeyeon looked around to check if everyone had their own papers.

 

 

“Okay. I will start counting.”

 

 

“Three”

 

 

“Two”

 

 

“One”

 

 

Everyone was so busy finding their own partner while I’m just standing at the corner because I got a little dizzy when I moved around so much. Maybe because I got tired easily because of the first class at the main studio and I just came from sickness last night. I’m still recovering but I needed to practice hard. Also, I want to preserve my energy so I’ll just wait if someone shouts the same shape as I had.

 

 

All of them got their own partners and they started practicing already. I looked at the other side, and I saw Yena. She’s not moving at all. It seemed like that my bad feeling was right. I was about to go to her but I backed down because this girl ain’t losing to that girl.

 

 

She slowly walked up to me and stood beside me.

 

 

“Do you have a heart?” She asked me without looking at me.

 

 

“Are you trying to tell me that I’m cruel?”

 

 

“What? No! I mean do you get the same shape as I am.” She looked at me and shook her head a little.

 

 

“Yes.” I showed her my paper with a heart on and I’m not looking at her.

 

 

“Do you want it?” She returned her sight at the front.

 

 

I bit my lower lip to prevent from smiling. I needed to stay on character.

 

 

“What do you mean do I want it?” I looked at her with a serious face.

 

 

She sighed and grabbed my hand and opened it then she put her paper on it. She looked at me and words started to come out from .

 

 

Hold my heart.”

 

 

I was about to smile but I crumpled the paper on my hand.

 

 

“I won’t forget what happened last night.”

 

 

SHE.FREAKING.SMIRKED

 

 

WHAT A CREEP.

 

 

“What the heck! Why did you crumple my paper?!  You were just supposed to hold it for me for a while! I was just about to tie my shoes.”

 

 

“WHAT? Who do you think I am?! Your assistant?! Besides, you even didn’t tell me in the first place! You should put it somewhere else like the floor or something.”

 

 

“Oh. I’m sorry. I thought your hand is a trash bin or something.” She chuckled.

 

 

I shook my head at her and my mouth slightly opened in disbelief.

 

 

“Here!” I grabbed her hand and returned her crumpled paper on her hand. “Your heart is yours!”

 

 

“I don’t want it.”

 

 

 

She paused for a while...

 

 

 

She looked me in the eyes..

 

 

 

.. and she continued speaking again.

 

 

 

“I want yours.”

 

 

 

“I... asfjdfks... I uh...dhfjskf...fkgklllf...” I murmured some random words I couldn’t even understand.

 

 

 

I took a step backward.

 

 

 

I looked at the ground to compose myself.

 

 

 

My face got warmed.

 

 

 

Am I blushing?

 

 

 

Oh no. I shouldn’t be.

 

 

 

This feeling was so warm.

 

 

 

It felt good.

 

 

 

I paused for a while and took a big breath.

 

 

 

I grabbed her hand again and I showed her my paper with a heart on it.

 

 

 

I met her eyes.

 

 

 

I gave her my softest and sweetest smile.

 

 

 

 

“IN YOUR WILDEST DREAMS! ER!”

 

 

 

 

I saw her face suddenly changed from expectant to disappointed. I burst out laughing. She’s really cute.

 

 

 

She quickly grabbed my paper from my hand and put it inside her pocket.  She was about to run but I held her arm to prevent her from running.

 

 

 

“Hey! Give it back!” I’m trying to reach the pocket of her shorts.

 

 

 

“Nope! You won’t get this back.” She’s really good at teasing and she’s strong.

 

 

 

“That’s mine!”

 

 

 

“Not anymore!”

 

 

 

“You’re a thief!”

 

 

 

“No, I’m not but you are!”

 

 

 

“Duuuh! I didn’t steal your heart!”

 

 

 

“You already did for a long time already!”

 

 

 

“What the heck are you talking about?! We just met like yesterday!”

 

 

 

“Ugh! Why don’t you get it!?”

 

 

 

 

“Get what? I already told you for nth time! I’m not your freaking assistant! Why do you always ask me to get something for you?!”

 

 

 

 

“Uggghh!” She facepalmed so hard.

 

 

 

 

She took a quick big sigh before speaking up again.

 

 

 

 

“Have mine then.” She grabbed my hand and she’s trying to open it forcefully so she can put her crumpled paper on it. She looked slightly pissed and I’m slightly happy but I’m trying my best to hide it because she’s really cute when she’s like this.

 

 

“I don’t want to. I want mine back.” I’m trying my best not to open my hand while trying to maintain my serious poker face.

 

 

“Fine!” She gave up and let go of my hand. Her lips were poutier when she’s pissed and I almost smiled.

 

 

“But here’s the deal.” She continued.

 

 

“Okay. Keep going. I’m listening” 

 

 

“Since you destroyed my....”

 

 

“Correction! I didn’t destroy it.”

 

 

“Fine! Jeeeez!  Since you ‘UNINTENTIONALLY’ destroyed my heart, your heart is mine from now on for compensation purposes. Alright?”

 

 

I quietly whispered to myself. “Compensation purposes my . Just say directly that you really want it.”

 

 

“What did you say? I can’t hear you.”

 

 

“Nothing!” I grabbed her paper on her hand. “We’re quits. Okay?”

 

 

“Wait! What did you said first?!”

 

 

“Are you deaf?!”

 

 

“I’m not! Why are you always talking to yourself? Are you possess or something?!”

 

 

“What did you say?!”

 

 

*** YENA AND YURI CONSTANTLY BICKERING AT THE BACKGROUND ***

 

 

“Children” Eunbi sighed.  She ignored us and went to Chaeyeon.

 

 

“Hey, do you think it is still a good idea if we let this two teamed up?” Eunbi pointed at us.

 

 

“Yeeeeah. Maybe. I think so. As long as we don’t see blood dripping off their bodies yet, I think it’s all good. It seems like there are getting along together really well.”

 

 

They both ignored us and continued practicing again.

 

 

“You know what. We can’t finish anything if we were like this.” Yena crossed her arms.

 

 

“I know.” I crossed my arms too.

 

 

“So can we just set aside for a while what happened last night and let’s just practice?”

 

 

“Fine! Just don’t touch me. You ert!”

 

 

“Ugggghh! Jeeeeez!”

 

 

We both started practicing. I taught her and she taught me at some parts of the choreography. We helped each other in the best we could despite of the endless bickering during practice.

 

 

“Yuri you should move your hips like this! You look like a possessed kid who’s using a hula hoop. ”

“Shut up! I know what I’m doing!”

 

 

 

“Yena in this part, you should pump your chest like this. Where the hell are you looking at?! You ert!”

“What?! How would I know if I won’t look at you doing that?!”

 

 

 

“Yuri! You should step your foot here. Why are you stepping on my foot?!”

“I’m stepping on what’s mine!”

“What?”

“What? I mean.. Uhhhh.. I mean..  it.. it’s because you invade my personal space! That’s why I’m just stepping on what’s mine!”

 

 

 

“Yena you should only jump three times! Do you even know how to count?! It’s 1-2-3!”

“Oh . I thought it is 1-4-3.”

“What?”

“What?”

 

 

After an hour or two of practice, I never knew I would survive practicing together with this girl. To be honest, the endless bickering was most exhausting than the actual practice itself. She sat on the ground at the corner. She buried her face with the paper that has the lyrics of the song on it that she’s holding. I went outside to go the water station to get some water because I was really thirsty. As I went my way there, Si Hyun saw me.

 

 

“Hey Yuri! Are you going to get some water? Can I join you?” She smiled at me.

 

 

“Yeah, sure. No problem” I smiled back and we continued our way there.

 

 

“So how’s practice with Yena as your partner?”

 

 

“Wait. How did you know that she’s my partner?”

 

 

“Oh. I just see the both of you practicing together when I passed by at your practice room. It seems like both of you are going along together really well, huh.” She grinned at me.

 

 

“Uhhhh... Yeaaah? I think so?” I scratched my head a little. I felt something wrong here.

 

 

“Why? Are you not sure? Is there something happened?”

 

 

Suddenly, we felt someone came from behind and squeezed herself on the space between me and Si Hyun. She then put her arms on our shoulders.

 

 

“YOOOOOWWW! WAZZZUUUUPPP!” Sian greeted us enthusiastically.

 

 

“What the fu...!” I held my chest out of shock. Si Hyun laughed at us.

 

 

“So where are you guys going?” Sian asked us.

 

 

“We’re going at the water station. Are you coming?” Si Hyun replied.

 

 

I just listened to their conversation. I also noticed that Sian also put her arm on Si Hyun’s shoulder. Since when did these two become close to each other? Did they know each other before? I wondered.

 

 

“Nahhhh. I’m good. I already drank water.”

 

 

“By the way, is your foot okay now?”

 

 

“Yup. I just put cold compress to it last night. I’m relieved it didn’t hurt anymore the next morning.”

 

 

“Last night?” I joined their conversation. “What did you do last night?” I asked Sian.

 

 

“Oh! Ummmm... Errhh... I uhmmmm.. I actually...” She subtly looked at Si Hyun.

 

 

“She uhmm.. She ju.... She just slipped at the common bathroom.” Si Hyun answered while avoiding my eyes.

 

 

“I see. It’s good to know your foot is fine now, Sian.” I patted her hand on my shoulder. I really felt that there’s something off here.

 

 

“Thanks! By the way, so what happened about you and Yena’s talk last night?” They both grinned at me. It’s creeping me out.

 

 

“Uhmmm. It actually didn’t turn out well.” I scratched my cheek a little. We all reached the water station and I opened the fridge to get some bottled water.

 

 

“WHAT?!” They both really looked surprise and quite disappointed.

 

 

“Wait! What happened?” Sian asked me and stopped me from getting bottled water.

 

 

“Errhhh.. Uhmmm.. We just... Uhmmm.. We just went to this unfamiliar place to talk. That’s it.” I attempt to open the fridge again.

 

 

“What weird happened?” Si Hyun asked me and stopped me too from getting water so my full attention was on them.

 

 

They really looked suspicious.

 

 

“Erhhh.. Uhmmm.. We .. We just.. talked and then something weird happened. I guess.”

 

 

“Wait! What weird thing did both of you did inside the room?” Sian held my both hands. They were really anticipating my answer.

 

 

“Huh? Wa... Wait. What do you mean? I never said anything that we went inside a room. How did you know about that?”

 

 

Sian and Si Hyun immediately looked at each other and they looked shocked. I also looked at them back and forth, and trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

 

 

“I uhhh... We... asjdsf.. We you know... Uhhh..” Sian scratched her head while looking at the ceiling.

 

 

“We just.. uhhh.. we erhhh... we just saw the both of you went outside this unfamiliar place so... uhmmm..” Si Hyun continued.

 

 

“So we just assumed both of you went inside a room! Right Si Hyun?” Sian added.

 

 

“Yes! Oh my god! Look at the time! We need to go back now! Sian, let’s go!” Si Hyun quickly grabbed Sian’s hand and ran back to their respective practice rooms.

 

 

WHAT THE HECK?

 

 

“HEEEY!” I shouted at them but they just kept running. I paused for a while. I was really confused about what’s going on with them, and how did they know about it.

 

 

I grabbed two bottled water and immediately went back to our practice room. Yena was still there and she looked like she didn’t move at all. I had no idea if she’s memorizing the lyrics or she’s just taking a quick nap. I sat beside her but not too close.

 

 

“Here.” I handed her the bottled water. I don’t know if she heard me or not.

 

 

She took a quick peek and accepted it. She opened it and drank from it. I unintentionally watched her drinking the water. She really looked tired and exhausted.

 

 

“Thanks, by the way.” She closed the lid of the bottle and closed her eyes. I mindlessly watched her again for about a minute.

 

 

“You know what? If I will charge you for every time you stare at me for a long time, I would probably be rich by now.” She opened her eyes and looked at me.

 

 

I lightly hit her arm out of embarrassment and I hid my face on my knees. What the heck are you doing Yuri? I shouldn’t feel this way. I heard she’s chuckling.

 

 

Suddenly, the door opened and we heard the staff and crew entered the room. They told to us to get ready because the vocal lesson was about to start. Nervousness hit me immediately. As they started to arrange the cameras on the room, we all lined up. Eunbi suggested that I and Yena shouldn’t be standing beside each other for safety purposes.

 

 

After a few minutes, Trainer Soyou entered the room and we started the vocal class.

 

 

[[a/n: Reference video will be posted soon.]]

 

 

After the vocal lesson, all of us were really busy doing our own practices. Some were memorizing the lyrics and some were memorizing the choreography. The dance class was about to start soon so almost none of us were talking to each other and just kept on practicing. I need to do well this time because I disappointed Trainer Soyou at the vocal class so I don’t want to disappoint the dance trainer that will be assigned to us.

 

 

After a few minutes, Trainer Choi Young Joon entered the room and we started the dance class.

 

 

[[a/n: Reference video will be posted soon.]]

 

 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 

[[YENA’S POV]]

 

 

I could feel the tension inside the practice room after of our vocal and dance class. Almost no one was resting and just kept on practicing. I saw Yuri practicing the choreography on her own, and she’s unusually quiet since after the vocal class. It’s the same expression and aura that I saw before on her Idol School days. She’s really dedicated about in everything she does. I’m really wanted to ask her if she’s okay but I’m having a doubt because I might ruined her mood, and I don’t want to disturb her so I will just silently watched her from afar.

 

 

Suddenly, a staff entered the room and called some of the trainees including Yuri for an interview. I was just standing near the door so she passed by me, and I could felt something was bothering her. I mindlessly stared at her walking down the stairs.

 

 

I kept on practicing.

 

 

When she returned, I saw her eyes were puffy and she continued to practice the choreography on her own. I was really worried so I gained my courage and immediately went to her.

 

 

“Yuri, are you alright?”

 

 

“Yes. I just got emotional when I heard my mother’s voice during the phone time. That’s all.” She continued practicing.

 

 

“I see.” I slowly walked away. Something’s really bothering her and I was really worried for her but I decided not to disturb her at the moment. We all continued doing our own thing.

 

 

THE RE-EVALUATION DAY...

We are all gathered inside our practice room. This is the day we’ve all been preparing for. We couldn’t hear anything but the sound of the air condition and the heavy breathing of the other trainees inside the room. I decided to take a quick glance of her on the other side and I could see that she’s emotionless but I could feel that there’s something off of her. I hope she would do well. The last time we talked was when I asked her if she’s okay and nothing else.

 

 

The staff announced that we will start our re-evaluation now. I took a deep breath as I watched the other trainees do their performance. Some messed up the choreography and some forgot the lyrics. I was worried I might mess up or forgot the words too.

 

 

It’s finally Yuri’s turn to sing and dance. I was really anticipating it, but I’m worried about her because she really looked tensed and unfocused.

 

 

She started her video, and introduced herself. I took a big gulp when she’s about to start.

 

 

The music started playing...

 

 

...and she froze their after the first few steps.

 

 

I was so worried about her.

 

 

I wanted to do something to help her but I can’t.

 

 

She tried to sing and to dance at some parts of the song until it finished.

 

 

She already gave up.

 

 

She’s still emotionless and she tried to hide her face by looking at the ground. I tried to check on her but I was surprised that the staff called my name to perform next. I immediately went to the front and started to film myself.

 

 

Guess what? I messed up too. The top three things that I should avoid at all cost happened to me.

 

 

I was really unfocused and traumatized in memorizing the Japanese lyrics because it’s too hard for me. I know all of us gave the same exact time to practice but I guess it’s really up to the willingness of the trainee to finish it before the actual performance. I was really willing to do well but sometimes there were really bad days. I was mad at myself because I couldn’t catch up.

 

 

I went back to my position after I performed.

 

 

I really felt bad. But I realized if I felt like this, how much more what Yuri would felt like on her performance.

 

 

When all of us finished performing, the staff announced that we could now go to the canteen to eat our lunch or we could all take a rest or sleep. But we should all return to our practice room by five in the afternoon to release our grades for the re-evaluation.

 

 

As we went outside the practice room, everyone was quite silent. Some trainees were already crying and some comforted them but I saw Yuri quickly went straight down to the stairs without talking to anyone.

 

 

“Hey Yena, are you going to eat lunch? You should join us.” Chaeyeon asked me.

 

 

“Oh. No. I’m good. Thanks. I think I’ll just take a rest for a while. Go ahead.” I excused myself and quickly followed Yuri.

 

 

 

I followed her silently.

 

 

 

I don’t know if she already noticed me.

 

 

She just walked fast.

 

 

 

She went outside and went straight to the area where the canteen is.

 

 

 

Maybe she’s hungry...

 

 

 

... Or maybe not?

 

 

 

I thought she’s going to the canteen.

 

 

 

I immediately took cover on the wall when she turned left.

 

 

 

I thought she will finally noticed me. I don’t want to creep her out.

 

 

 

I immediately followed her again.

 

 

 

She went inside this small empty room at the most end of the hallway.

 

 

 

Wait. I know this place.

 

 

 

This is where we talked the other night.

 

 

*** FLASHBACK ***

 

“Hi Yuri!”

 

 

Yuri turned her head to check who it was.

 

 

“Yena has something to ask you in private.” Si Hyun moved to the side to show me who’s hiding at her back. I kept looking at the ground and when I realized I’m no longer behind Si Hyun, I immediately turned around.

 

 

“Uhm. Sure.” She stood up and excused herself. I saw Sian was grinning at Yuri. She shook her head a little bit. Si Hyun replaced Yuri on her seat and gave me two thumbs up. My face turned redder.

 

 

We both left the canteen.

 

 

She’s really unusually quiet and she really looked like she’s in deep thinking. It’s very obvious because she unconsciously brought a plastic spoon she used when eating. I’m a little bit behind her as we walked in the hallway.

 

 

I really had no idea where are we going we kept walking and walking around the area and I just kept following her because I was so shy to talk and to ask her so I’ll just follow her. We literally walked the same area for like three times already. I almost memorized the rooms and the whereabouts of this place.

 

 

Suddenly, she stopped walking.

 

 

This place looked empty and I’m not familiar with this place.

 

 

 She turned around and she pointed the spoon she’s holding at me.

 

 

“Tell me, did this happen before?”

 

 

“Huh? What do you mean?” I put my hands up to protect myself.

 

 

“Are you planning to do something weird, aren’t you?” She asked me suspiciously. She came closer with the spoon still pointing at me.

 

 

“What the heck! Can you please put the spoon down?” I took a stepped backward.

 

 

“Are we going to play a game? That is what you’re thinking, right?” The spoon nearly touched my neck. She’s very close.

 

 

“Oh my god! Are you trying to murder me?! I really have no idea what the hell are you talking about!” My back touched the wall. I couldn’t take a step backward anymore. I closed my eyes and pray to god I could still see the sun tomorrow.

 

 

“Hmmm. Okay.” She removed the spoon off my neck and turned around.

 

 

I touched my neck and looked at her. I had no idea that this girl is crazy but she really looked puzzled and confused.

 

 

Suddenly, we heard a male voice coming from the main hallway.

 

 

“Is anybody here? This is a highly and strictly restricted place. If any trainees were seen here, we will call your agency.”

 

 

I immediately grabbed Yuri’s hand and went inside to the most end empty room in the left side hallway. I quickly closed and locked the door inside in the most silent way as possible.

 

 

“What the heck are you doi....”

 

 

I immediately covered so she wouldn’t make a noise.

 

 

“Shhhh. Just be quiet.” I whispered at her.

 

 

We heard footsteps at the hallway. It was partially dark inside the room. The things that lighten up the room were the lights outside the mini park and the stars and the moon.

 

 

The sounds of the footsteps were getting much louder as soon as it reaches the door of the room we’re into.

 

 

The sound of my heartbeat was getting much louder. I don’t know what to do anymore if I got kicked out in this show and my agency would be probably get mad at me.

 

 

We both startled quietly when they attempt to open the door. The good thing was I locked the door so they would probably think that this room was just a locked empty room.

 

 

Few minutes passed, the sounds of the footsteps were getting quieter.

 

 

I slowly removed my hand off .

 

 

“What the hell is happening?” She asked me and she still didn’t have any idea what’s going on because she was really consumed of her thoughts.

 

 

I just sighed.

 

 

 

I went to the door and unlocked it.

 

 

 

I tried to open it.

 

 

 

But it won't open.

 

 

 

I double checked the doorknob to make sure it’s not lock anymore..

 

 

 

..and it isn’t.

 

 

 

“What the fuc...”

 

 

 

I aggressively tried to twist the doorknob...

 

 

 

..but it’s really locked.

 

 

 

OH .

 

 

 

My original intention was just to enter this show and hope to debut in a girl group. I never knew that this thing will happen to me in my entire existence. If only I knew, I will never join the show.

 

 

 

I slowly turned around...

 

 

 

...and I looked at her.

 

 

 

I gulped.

 

 

 

A Strange Night..

 

 

 

..with this strange girl.

 

 

 

“Yuri, I think we’re trapped.”

 

 

 

[[a/n: Hello! I decided to write a long chapter to compensate for the days I didn’t update because of my personal issues. The good thing is I’m slowly gaining my confidence back in writing again. Thank you for the warm and supportive messages you’d sent me on my twitter and instagram. I really appreciate all the love <3 Tell me your thoughts about it! xoxo]]

Follow me on twitter and instagram: @yenaxyuri

 

 

NOTICE: All reference videos will be posted soon. My laptop crashed and all of the IZ*ONE, PD48, YulYen videos were gone. That’s why I’m using other people’s laptop in writing this one. I will download it all again once I got my laptop back from the repair shop, and post it soon. I apologize.