CHAPTER 7: Hold My Heart

PICK ME! NEKKOYA! - Choi Yena and Jo Yuri - (Produce 48 Love Story) -IZ*ONE -

[[YURI’S POV]]

                       

 

I felt a warm and delicate hand lightly touched my face.

 

 

 

 

 

It stayed there for a quiet time.

 

 

 

 

 

Then it slowly went down on my neck.

 

 

 

 

 

I released a soft sigh from my mouth.

 

 

 

 

 

“Yuri”

 

 

 

 

 

Someone called my name.

 

 

 

 

 

It’s a familiar sound.

 

 

 

 

 

I slowly opened my eyes.

 

 

 

 

 

A quick bright light blinded me.

 

 

 

 

 

*CAMERA SHUTTER SOUND*

 

 

 

 

 

I completely opened my eyes and I saw Eun Young and Gyu Ri hysterically laughing behind Sian who’s holding her laughter while sitting on my bunk with a phone on her hand right in front of my face.

 

 

“Oh my god Yuri! HAHAHAHA.” Sian couldn’t hold her laughter anymore while looking at my photo she took while I’m taking a nap at my lower bunk bed.

 

 

 I immediately sat upright and playfully pushed her to the floor. She’s lying on the ground and laughing her off.

 

 

“What the heck!” I was pissed at first but I eventually laughed with them.

 

 

 I suddenly touched my head with my hands, I felt dizziness. My face was very warm, my body was bit sweaty, and my throat hurt a little. Eun Young sat on my bed and touched my forehead and my neck with the back of her hand.

 

 

“You’re quite feverish. Are you alright?” Eun Young was worried at me. She really took good care of us.

 

 

“Yes. I guess so.”

 

 

“Did you take some medicine?”

 

 

“Uhmm. Not yet. I didn’t bring any.”

 

 

“Why you didn’t get some medicines from the clinic then?”  Gyu Ri butted in. She sat on my bed beside Eun Young and handed me bottled water.

 

 

“Thanks! Uhmm. Because as soon as we went inside the room, I quickly fix my stuffs and I immediately go to bed and sleep. I don’t have enough strength to go out, or to do something, or to socialize. I just really wanted to rest. I don’t feel well.” I drank the water from the bottle and handed it back to Gyu Ri.

 

 

“Well, we we’re really convinced on what you’re saying are true. Look at this!” Sian stood up from the ground and showed me something on her phone. I’m really scared on what she’s about to show me. I’ve got a bad feeling about this.

 

 

And I’m right.

 

 

Kill me now.

 

 

Sian showed me a preview of video clip of myself sleeping. She clicked the play button and the video starts playing.

 

 

“A firefly? Are you serious?”

I chuckled on the video.

 

 

“What the heck? Hahaha. Wait!”

Oh my god! I can’t believe I’m sleep talking.

 

 

“That’s so embarrassing.”

Yes Yuri! That’s really embarrassing. What the hell are you doing?!

 

 

“Why are you like that? Hahaha. Why is it so hard? Let’s do it again. Make this an easy one!”

“Yuri what are you talking about? What do you mean an easy one? Hahahaha!” Sian asked me while I was sleeping. I clearly heard them they’re holding their laughter on the video.

 

 

“Ready! What is it?”

“Oh yeah! We’re ready! Bring it on! Hahahaha!” Gyu Ri added. She’s also talking to me while I was sleeping on the video.

 

 

This is really so embarrassing.

 

 

“Huh? How am I supposed to know? Why is it so hard?”

“Oooppps. She’s talking about ‘hard’ stuff.” Sian was talking to Gyu Ri on the video. They’re still trying to hold their laughter on the video so I wouldn’t woke up.

 

 

“Oh my god! It is not what you think it is!” I removed my eyes off the video and I quickly explained to them but they were not having it. They were trying to hide their laughter.

 

 

“Save the explanation later. Continue watching this!” Sian played the video again.

 

 

“What do you mean?”

I’m trying to remember that part of my dream but I really couldn’t remember what happened next.

 

 

“No. Not really”

Oh no! Wait! Is this the part where….

 

 

“Here it comes! Here it comes!” Sian was anticipating while Gyu Ri and Eun Young turned around because they couldn’t bear what would happened next.

 

 

 

 

I.FREAKING.POUTED.AND.ACTED.I’M.KISSING.SOMEONE.

 

 

 

 

“OH MY GOD! HAHAHAHAHA!” Sian was bursting out of laughter as well as Gyu Ri and Eun Young.

 

 

I playfully pushed Sian to the floor again. I quickly lay down and buried my face with my pillow and turned towards the wall. I couldn’t be more embarrassed than this. I heard them they were already dying of laughter. It took like a minute or two before they completely stopped laughing.

 

 

“Yaaah! Yuri! Come on! It is okay! It’s normal.” Sian told me while wiping her tears from laughing so hard.

 

 

I turned around and stood up. I playfully wrestled Sian on the ground while Gyu Ri and Eun Young were watching us.

 

 

“It is not what all of you think it is!” I said while laughing and playfully choking Sian. Sian was just laughing and she had no energy to fight back because of too much laughter.

 

 

“Yaaaah! Yuri stopped it! You should rest. You have a slight fever.” Eun Young reminded me.

 

 

I removed my hands off Sian’s neck and I sat back to my bed. This was really so embarrassing.

 

 

“Hey guys! I think we should go to the canteen now. It’s already time for dinner.” Gyu Ri looked at the time on her watch.

 

 

I quickly put on my jacket and my shoes. We all went outside out of my room. Sian put her arm on my shoulder to support me while walking towards the canteen so I wouldn’t trip or fall down because I feel a little dizzy.

 

 

When we reached the canteen, the queue is quite long but it’s moving quite fast. We fell in line and grabbed our foods in a tray. Eun Young found an empty table and we all went there. As soon as we we’re in front of the table, Gyu Ri and Eun Young seated together and Sian already sat on her chair in which I will sat beside Sian. The location of the table we sat on and the atmosphere was familiar.  I remained standing and kept thinking if this happened before.

 

 

“Hey Yuri! What are you doing? Sit down already.” Sian patted the chair beside her.

 

 

I shrugged it off and sat down. We started eating.

 

 

“By the way, how did you all enter my room?” I started the conversation.

 

 

“Duuuh. By the door.” Sian answered while wiping .

 

 

“No . I mean who let you in because as far as I could remember, my roommates were not inside the room when you were there.”

 

 

“Ohh. You’re roommates left. They didn’t wake you up because they think you need to rest more. So when they saw us on the hallway, they told us that you’re still sleeping so we decided to check you out.” Eun Young answered.

 

 

“And then that happened.” Gyu Ri added.

 

 

They all started laughing again while I buried my face with my hands. That was really unforgettable. What the hell am I doing with my life?

 

 

“By the way, who were you thinking at that moment? Hahahaha.” Sian covered because the food she’s eating might fall out of from laughing and eating at the same time. Gyu Ri kept pouting to tease me about what happened a while ago.

 

 

I’m holding my laughter too but I just ignored them. I don’t want to keep the conversation on going because this is too much embarrassment. I wouldn’t even know what to feel or what to say if I will saw Yena again. There’s a possibility that it would flashback if I saw her and I can’t take it.

 

 

“Yaaah. We should give Yuri a break now. Look at her. She’s already dying. She might not able to practice and perform well tomorrow.” Eun Young scolded Gyu Ri and Sian. I stood up and gave her a hug as my gratitude for saving my always while Sian and Gyu Ri were holding their laughter.

 

 

We all kept eating. We continued the conversation about the first mission and what were the possibilities that might happen in the show, and many more.  While Gyu Ri and Eun Young were talking about something. Sian leaned herself to me.

 

 

“Yuri, is Yena you’re roommate?” Sian whispered to me.

 

 

“No. Why?” I whispered back.

 

 

I was held back a little when I heard her name because I remembered again what happened a while ago. We all finished eating our food inside the canteen.

 

 

“Aww. You must be really sad. But why aren’t you looked sad at all? Did something happen?” Sian teased me.

 

 

I bit my lip to prevent from smiling.

 

 

 

Wait. What.

 

 

 

What the hell is this?

 

 

 

Did it happen before because it felt like it is?

 

 

 

“Or I guess something is going to happen now.” Sian turned her head at someone behind me.

 

 

 

Wait.

 

 

 

Is this déjà vu?

 

 

 

“Hi Yuri!”

 

 

I turned my head to check who it was…….

 

 

[[a/n: The term déjà vu is French and means, literally, "already seen." Those who have experienced the feeling describe it as an overwhelming sense of familiarity with something that shouldn't be familiar at all]]

 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 

THE NEXT DAY

[[YENA’S POV]]

 

 

We all woke up when we heard a voice on the speakers. The announcer announced that we should all gather up by seven in the morning to grab our breakfast in the canteen and we should all get ready for the first task before nine in the morning. By exactly 9 am, we should all gather to the main studio wearing our shirts with our designated grade on it.

 

 

I sat on my bed and I’m trying to keep my eyes opened. I wanted to sleep more because I couldn’t sleep that much because of what happened last night.

 

 

“Are you okay Yena?” Kwon Eunbi asked me. She’s fixing her hair in a bun.

 

 

“Yes unnie. I just couldn’t sleep properly last night.”

 

 

“Why? What happened?” She finished her bun and sat on her bunk just in front of mine. The good thing was we’re only the ones who were inside the room.

 

 

“It’s just… Ummm… I don’t know… I’m…. Uhhhh…  It’s weird…. You know…  Ughh.. I don’t know how to explain it”

 

 

“Why? What is that about?”

 

 

“It’s about Yuri.”

 

 

“Yuri? Do you mean Jo Yuri? From Idol School?”

 

 

“Ummm. Yeah.” I scratched my head a little.

 

 

“What about her?”

 

 

“We kinda….”

 

 

“Wait! Is that about what happened in the canteen last night?”

 

 

“Wait! What do you know anything about it?”

 

 

“To be honest, I don’t know what’s going on last night in the canteen; I just saw you and your friend pulling you towards Yuri.”

 

 

I sighed out of relief.

 

 

“Is that about it?” she continued.

 

 

“Uhhh. Yeah.”

 

 

“Oh. I see. What happened next then?”

 

 

“Uhmmm.. Well.. . My friend whose name is Si Hyun asked Yuri if we could talk on private.”

 

 

“Okay. And then?”

 

 

“Uhmmm… And then when we’re walking at the hallway on our way outside, something happened.”

 

 

“Oh. Really? What happened?”

 

 

“Uhmm… Well… She… Uhhh. She uhmmm…”

 

 

Someone suddenly opened our door from the outside.

 

 

“Guys, let’s go now. We should be in the canteen in fifteen minutes.” Lee Chaeyeon announced then closed the door.

 

 

“Okay. Come on Yena.” Eunbi stood up and put her shoes on.

 

 

“Uhmm.  Sure. Go ahead. I’ll just change my clothes.”

 

 

‘Okay. See you. Don’t forget to lock the door when you left and continue your story later.” Eunbi went to the door.

 

 

“Yes unnie.”

 

 

“I hope she forgets to ask me later about my story.” I whispered to myself.

 

 

I washed my face quickly, changed my clothes, and put my shoes on. I went outside and then locked the door. As I walked by, I saw the other room’s door besides our room was slightly opened. Out of my curiosity, I decided to take a quick sneak peek inside the room. I quickly stepped back when I realized its Yuri’s room and she saw me then I accidentally tripped over and fell on the ground.

 

 

“Ouch!”

 

 

 

Yuri immediately opened the door..

 

 

 

“You again! Who the hell are you looking at?!” Yuri shouted at me. She’s mad.

 

 

 

 

“Huh?! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to!”

 

 

 

 

She immediately slammed the door closed.

 

 

 

 

“Wait! Yuri!”

 

 

 

 

WHAT.THE.HECK.

 

 

I stood up from the ground and fixed myself. I continued walking towards the canteen.  I really don’t have any idea what’s going on inside her head. As I arrived, I grabbed my food and I was about to went on Si Hyun and Yi Ren’s table, these two immediately called some other trainees to fill up the empty seats which leave me nowhere to sit. Si Hyun grinningly pointed at a table where Kwon Eunbi, Lee Kaeun, Lee Chaeyeon and Miyawaki Sakura were sitting on with still have empty chairs on the other side. I shook my head a little at Si Hyun and I asked them if I could join them. Thankfully, they welcomed me in.

 

 

When I’m about to take a bite of my food, someone came to us and asked if she could join us. They all welcomed her and when I looked at her I saw it was Yuri. I’m shocked and the food on my chopsticks fell off. She sat in the last empty chair in front of me and just started eating. I looked around to find where her friends at and I couldn’t find them. Maybe that’s why she sat with us.

 

 

I unintentionally stared at her. I didn’t know what to feel when she’s just in front of me. I didn’t know if I should get scared of her or what. It just kept me thinking about what happened last night at the hallway.

 

 

She looked at me with a pissed look on her face.

 

 

I immediately looked down at my food and continued eating. To be honest, what happened last night was unintentional I wouldn’t even know she would go nuts about that.

 

 

We all continued eating and chatting at the same time, but I’m not at my usual self because I felt uncomfortable. I felt like every time I breathe this girl in front of me was making a plot to kill me.

 

 

After that, we all went back to our rooms to take a shower and to prepare for our first task. When it’s already nine in the morning, we all gathered to the main studio to officially start the first mission which is to sing and dance to the song called ‘Pick Me (Nekkoya)’ for our re-evaluation. Some of us were really nervous. I’m more nervous because we’re in the same class and I’d no idea if I could even remain alive.

 

 

The first whole class ended in the main studio and the class A trainees went on our designated practice room to start our individual self practice before the vocal and the dance class begins in a few hours.

 

 

“I have an idea.” Lee Chaeyeon said

 

 

“What is it?” Eunbi replied. She sat down on the floor.

 

 

“I think for us to memorize the choreography quickly I think we need to do it in pairs so the partners can help each other.”

 

 

“I think it is a good idea. But how we will split it up? We’re fifteen.” Kaeun asked Chaeyeon.

 

 

“Oh. It’s okay if I don’t have a partner. I memorized the choreography already. I think I will assist any one of you just in case you need my help.” Chaeyeon suggested.

 

 

We all clapped and cheered for Chaeyeon. She’s really an excellent dancer.

 

 

“Okay. Then how do we pair?” Eunbi looked at us.

 

 

“I think we should do it by raffle. I think we should do it using two pairs of seven shapes like circles, squares, triangle, and etcetera for a total of fourteen shapes; and whoever gets the same shape are the partners.”

 

 

“Okay. Let’s do it.”

 

 

Chaeyeon started to draw a pair of seven different shapes on a small paper and putted it inside the box. She started to shake it and then everyone gets one paper inside the box. When everyone got their own paper, we all quickly opened it and find our partner.

 

 

“Okay. Who got a square?”

 

 

“I’ve got a star! Who got a star?”

 

 

“My circle partner! Where are you at?”

 

 

Everyone was busy looking and finding their own partners. I just remained standing at the corner. I looked again at the paper I got. I was wondering if someone got the same shape as mine because no one was looking for it.

 

 

When everyone got their own partners, I saw Yuri at the other corner just holding her paper.

 

 

“Yena, I think Yuri is your partner.” Eunbi told me.

 

 

“Yes unnie. I think she is. I hope I can survive the day.”

 

 

I slowly walked up to her and stood beside her.

 

 

 

 

“Do you have a heart?” I asked her without looking at her.

 

 

 

 

“Are you trying to tell me that I’m cruel?”

 

 

 

 

“What? No! I mean do you get the same shape as I am.” I looked at her and shook my head a little.

 

 

 

 

 “Yes.” She showed me her paper with a heart on and she’s not looking at me.

 

 

 

 

“Do you want it?” I returned my sight at the front.

 

 

 

 

“What do you mean do I want it?” She looked at me with a serious face.

 

 

 

 

I sighed and grabbed her hand and opened it then I put my paper on it. I looked at her and words started to come out from my mouth.

 

 

 

 

Hold My Heart.”

 

 

 

 

She’s about to smile..

 

 

 

 

 

 

..but she crumpled the paper on her hand.

 

 

 

 

“I won’t forget what happened last night.”

 

 

 

 

 

I still remember that there were three things I wanted to avoid at all cost and I noted it inside my mind. First, do not forget the choreography and the lyrics. Second, do not make enemies. And lastly, avoid meeting her eyes.

 

 

 

 

Oh crap.

 

 

 

 

I think I also badly messed up the second one.

 

 

 

[[a/n: Hello! I’m still alive. HAHAHA. It took me a long time to write this because I’m having a personal dilemma these past few days so my mind went completely blank and I still need to figure some things out and I've been enduring this for few days already so I don’t know if this chapter is crappy because I’m crappy at the moment. HAHAHA. Also, I’m having second thoughts if I should continue writing this story or should I just let someone continue this. Anyway, tell me your thoughts about it. I appreciate it.]]

Follow Me on Instagram and Twitter: @yenaxyuri

 

REFERENCES:

Produce 48 First Mission Practice