CHAPTER 3: Right Then and There, I’m Certain

PICK ME! NEKKOYA! - Choi Yena and Jo Yuri - (Produce 48 Love Story) -IZ*ONE -

[[YURI’S POV]]

 

“I can’t believe today is the first day of Produce 48” Bae Eun Young said while stretching her arms.

 

“Yeeeaaaah. This feels like our first day in Idol School. I remember I couldn’t sleep the night before the shoot.” Lee Sian said while yawning. You could really see that she didn’t slept last night too, because her eyes were half closed already.

 

We’re actually sitting on the floor beside our bags inside Stone Music Entertainment practice room. We’re waiting for Jang Gyu Ri to arrive. The four of us will be participating again to join another reality show, called Produce 48. We decided to join, because we didn’t make it in Fromis 9. Well, of course, except for Jang Gyu Ri, but that’s another story.

 

“I’m here! I’m here!” Gyu Ri shouted while she’s trying to catch her breath. “Am I the last person who arrived?”  She looked around and realized she’s actually the last one who arrived. “Oh shiiii…” she sighed.

 

“Yaaaaa-! You’re late again! Because of that, you will be the only person who will sit at the backseat with our bags. That’s the punishment for the person who will be late.”  Eun Young said. She really looked happy because she’s the first person who arrived. And according to our deal, the first person who will arrive would have the opportunity to sit at the front seat. We all made this deal for us to come early in the practice room so we could have spare time to practice before the van arrives to pick us up. Also we really don’t like to sit in the backseat, because the backseat of the van was really shaky. You won’t have an opportunity to sleep.

 

“My alarm clock didn’t ring. I couldn’t sleep last night. Pleeeeassseee let’s exchange seats. I’m begging you.” Gyu Ri said while looking at Eun Young pleadingly, but Eun Young wasn’t buying it.

 

“Well, it seems like you are not the only one who couldn’t sleep last night.”  I said while pointing to Sian who’s already sleeping on the floor. We all laughed at Sian because was open, and we’re really not sure if she’s really sleeping because her eyes were half closed.

 

“Yuri, you seem like you slept well last night. Would you like to exchange seats with me?” Gyu Ri held my arm, and looked at me pleadingly. To be honest, I couldn’t sleep last night too. I guess we all were. We all joined a reality show before, so having sleepless nights were not new for us. But I guess this time is different.

 

*** FLASHBACK ***

I decided to go back for a while to my hometown, Namgu, in Busan. I needed to wind up a little bit after all the stress and anxiety I experienced last few days ago in the finale of Idol School. Luckily, our management granted my request to go back for a short period of time in my hometown so I could relax. I started to pack up some of my clothes, and bid good bye to my friends and fellow trainees in our dorm. I rode the train alone from Seoul to Busan for three hours. When I got there, I saw my mom waving at me. She picked me up and we rode the bus together. We finally got home. I saw my dog waiting for me excitedly at the door, and I saw my cat at the sofa just looking at me like nothing happened. Seeing them again especially my family made me delighted. I really missed my home so much. I petted my cat and my dog quickly then I went straight inside my room immediately.

 

“Yuri-yaaa, change your clothes and come outside of your room right away. Okay?” My mom shouted from the dining room.

 

 I sat down on my bed. I still actually didn’t feel well. To be honest, I already accepted the fact that I didn’t get to debut. What made me feel down, were the entire backlash I still received even though the show already ended.

 

I sighed loudly. I heard a soft knock on my door.

 

“Can I come in?” My mom asked.

 

“Sure mom.” I said. She entered my room and sat on the chair beside my bed.

 

“What’s wrong Yuri?” My mom asked me. I could see that she’s worried at me.

 

I didn’t respond, because I could really feel that tears were already accumulated in my eyes. My mom got closer and my back. I couldn’t fight it anymore. I bursted into tears.

*** END OF FLASHBACK ***

 

“No Gyu Ri-unnie. I won’t exchange seats with you unless you will give me your chips.” I teasingly said while trying to remove her hands on my arms.

 

“Uggghhhh. Yuri-yaaaa, don’t you love your unnie?”  Gyu Ri said cutely to me while still holding my arms. Her grip was really strong; she won’t stop until she gets what she wants.

 

“Gyu Ri-yaaa, stop bothering Yuri. No matter what you do, you will still sit at the backseat. You can’t even ask Sian to exchange seats with you because come on, look at that.” Eun Young then pointed to Sian who’s already drooling on the floor. We couldn’t stop laughing at her. We finally woke her up to start our quick practice session. Half an hour later, the van arrived. We all seated on our designated seats.

 

During the trip, Eun Young was seated at the front. She looked like she’s texting someone. Sian was sitting beside me. Definitely, she’s still sleeping. Gyu Ri was at the backseat trying to sleep but she couldn’t because the van was more shakier than usual.  I gazed outside the car window while listening to some music to calm down my nerves. I tried to sleep too, but I couldn’t because I was really nervous. I’m trying my best not to show it to anyone.

 

We’re almost there to our destination when I received a text from my mom. I opened it and read it.

 

*** TEXT MESSAGE ***

 

“Yuri, remember everything I had told you before. First of all, don’t skip meals. Second, don’t be so hard on yourself. It’s okay to lose control of yourself a little bit. Third, work hard and don’t stop believing on what you do. If someone blocks your route, find another way. Fourth, you are still my daughter and I love you so much. Lastly, BE YOU! You are unique.”

 

*** END OF TEXT MESSAGE ***

 

I smiled widely.

 

This is what I really need for today. All the pain of the past is slowly fading away.

 

*** FLASHBACK ***

After the long hour of practice for our performance for tomorrow in Idol School, I sat down at the corner inside the practice room. While resting, I decided to look up some comments about me. I read all the comments.

 

They said that I was just a copycat of Choi Yoo Jung of I.O.I. and former contestant of Produce 101 season one that’s why I gained attention. They told me that I’m not that really good. They said that my vocals were really weak and I couldn’t dance. They told me that there’s really nothing special about me. They said that I’m ugly, and so much more.

 

I stopped reading the comments. Tears started to fall on my face.

 

I never knew in my life that I would be wounded like this.

 

*** END OF FLASHBACK ***

 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 

[[YURI’SPOV]]

 

We finally arrived at our destination and the van dropped us off at the parking lot. Eun Young and Gyu Ri were really excited; while Sian still looked half asleep.

 

“Daebak! This place is so huge!” Eun Young said out of amazement while exiting the car.

 

“Hey Sian! Move your sleepy so I can go outside.” Gyu Ri said to Sian while trying to poke Sian’s cheeks to wake her up. Sian exited the van unhappily due to the fact that her sleep was interrupted again, then Gyu Ri exited next, then me lastly.

 

“Can we go straight to the dorms?” Sian asked while trying to keep herself awake. None of us were giving her attention.

 

Sian was walking behind Eun Young and Gyu Ri, while I’m walking behind Sian. While we’re walking, I noticed something on the ground. I stopped for a while, and picked it up. It’s a hair tie; it’s not just an ordinary hair tie but a ribbon hair tie. I looked around to see if the possible owner was around, but there’s none. I decided to keep it for a while and putted it inside my bag. I continued walking with them.

 

“It seems like we’re the first trainees who arrived here. The parking lot and the lobby look empty.” Eun Young said to Gyu Ri while observing the surroundings. Gyu Ri nodded.

 

“Is that a bed?” Sian asked while pointing at the props inside the building. Again, none of us were giving her attention.

 

When we entered the studio, a staff led us to a room to leave our bags there and to check our attendance, and then led us to the holding area.

 

“Stone Music Entertainment trainees, welcome to Produce 48. This is the holding area. Please take a seat while waiting for your turn to film.” The staff said when we got there. “If you need anything, you can approach anyone of us.” He continued.

 

“Ummm. Excuse me? May I ask where the bathroom is? I can’t hold this anymore.” Gyu Ri asked the staff.

 

“Ohh. Just go straight then turn left. There’s a signage there so you won’t get lost.” The staff replied.

 

“Thank you very much!” Gyu Ri immediately left the room. The staff also left us to continue his other duties.

 

Few minutes had passed, Gyu Ri finally returned; and Sian’s lost soul finally returned too.

 

“Yaaaa-, I think we’re not the only trainees here.” Gyu Ri whispered when she entered the room.

 

“What do you mean?” Sian asked. She finally asked a sensible question.

 

“I think I saw someone while I’m walking towards the bathroom. She kinda looks like a trainee too.” Gyu Ri continued. She sat beside Sian.

 

“Really? What company? Do you know her? Is she alone?” Sian continued asking.

 

“Ummm. I really have no idea. She’s running so fast; I couldn’t see her face clearly.” Gyu Ri replied.

 

I just listened to their conversation while I’m fixing my yellow bow on my long sleeved white shirt. We were preparing our costumes. After that, we quickly practiced again to polish our performance for the first evaluation. We made sure that we knew every small details of our performance so that it would be flawless. Finally, the staff called us to start our filming process. We entered the crystal-like room and then there’s a room where you can write on the wall.

 

When we’re about to enter the main studio, Sian and Eun Young walked first, next is me, and then Gyu Ri. We’re all amazed about how big and beautiful the studio was. The aura was really different from Idol School. We talked about where to sit; and as we went on our way up, we heard the other trainees talking about us. We just smiled at them, and carried on.

 

I was in awe. The view was great up here.

 

“Look! Kim Si Hyun is on the other side!” Sian said surprisingly.

 

“Oh yeah. You’re right. She’s looking here at us too.” Sian added.

 

We’re about to sit down but..

 

I decided to take a quick glance on the other side..

 

“Oh. She looks familiar.” I said.

 

“Of course, Kim Si Hyun also participated in the season one of Produce 101. That’s why she looks familiar.” Gyu Ri replied.

 

 

I met someone’s eye.

 

 

Her face was so bright...

 

 

.. I can see it clearly.

 

 

I sat down on my chair..

 

 

.. I looked at her direction again.

 

 

Right then and there, I’m certain.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“No, I’m talking about Choi Yena.”

 

[[a/n: I decided to make Yuri’s POV. I hope you like it. :D I’ve been observing a lot of interactions from different trainees in the show because I wanted to give you guys the same “feeling” of them when you actually watch them at the show.  Also, I’ve been thinking if I should put some photos or videos for reference, so you will have an idea about what the hell I’m talking about or what I am referring to. LOL. Maybe I will do that next week, so I might edit or update again the prologue up to this chapter. I can’t do that today because my exams are coming up. So I need to study more even though I don’t like it. I have no choice. LMAO. But I will try to write the next chapter if I have spare time. Thank you for waiting.  Thank you for all the feedbacks I’d received. I appreciate it a lot. I love you all <3]]

Let’s connect! Follow me on instagram and twitter: @yenaxyuri

 

REFERENCES:

The Stone Music Girls

 

Jo Yuri received hate because "SOME" people said that she's a copycat of Choi Yoojung

[a/n: Just to make it clear, I don't dislike or hate Yooujung. To be honest, Yoojung and Sohye are my bias in I.O.I. There are just really some people who will hate towards other idol or trainees, just because they are look-alike or whatsoever. I just put it here just for the reference for the story, and this really happened to Yuri during her Idol School days.]

 

Yuri's Cat and Dog