CHAPTER 6: Game Over

PICK ME! NEKKOYA! - Choi Yena and Jo Yuri - (Produce 48 Love Story) -IZ*ONE -

 

[[YENA’S POV]]

 

“I…. I like you…Mary”

 

“I like you A LOT”

 

I remember that scene from the last movie I’d watched alone called ‘Dumb and Dumber’ the night before the first day of filming of Produce 48. I couldn’t sleep because of the anxiety so I decided to watch some random classic funny movies to forget for a while the nervousness I’ve been feeling for the whole day. The story revolves around the adventures and a lot of dumb moments of the funniest duo named Harry Dunne (the dumb) and Lloyd Christmas (the dumber). I couldn’t count how many times I laughed at this movie.

 

 

In that one particular scene, Lloyd Christmas had a crush on this wealthy woman named Mary Swanson, and he’s unaware that she’s already married.

 

 

Well of course, he got rejected but his optimistic attitude despite of being rejected made me adore him more. I’m inspired by his confidence even he only got one in a million chance on her, he’s still happy at least he still got a chance. I don’t know, maybe because he’s really that dumb and he still didn’t get what it really meant. He really got the guts to confess and just blurted it out right at the moment.

 

 

And I did exactly what he did.

 

 

“I like you”

 

 

“Huuuuuuh? Yo… you.. whaaaat?”

 

 

“I mean. I uhhhh… I mean uhmmm.. you know… I uhhh… I said.. I uhhh.. I like… I like yoooo… youuuu… I like your yellow bow tie! I need to go now! Bye!”

 

 

And I ran as fast as I could.

 

 

Ladies and gentlemen, I’m Choi Yena, the dumbest.

 

 

“Wait! Yena!”

 

 

I pretended I didn’t hear anything and I just kept on running towards the exit of the dorm and I stopped once I got outside. I sat down on the pavement for a while to catch my breath.

 

 

“Just let someone kill me now. I don’t know how to face her anymore. It’s my chance but I just slipped it away.” I sighed out loud.

 

 

“Then why did you run away?”

 

 

I quickly turned my head to see who it was.

 

 

It turned out to be Yi Ren.

 

 

“You surprise me! I thought you are someone else. How did you know I’m here?” I held my chest tightly. “Come here, sit with me.”

 

 

“I saw you running like a mad dog so I decided to follow you here.” she sat on the pavement next to me and she offered me her handkerchief. I accepted it and wiped the little sweat on my face.

 

 

“I know you like her.” Yi Ren spoke after a minute of silence.

 

 

I suddenly turned my head at her. “Do I? How did you… I mean.. Why did you say that?”

 

 

She met my eyes. “I can see it in your eyes, the way you react every time you hear her name, every time you see her, and every time you act around her.”

 

 

“I uhhh… I uhhh.. I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I quickly avoided her eyes and looked around somewhere else.

 

 

“Don’t pretend anymore. I know you. We’ve been friends for a long time already.”

 

 

I didn’t respond.

 

 

“I won’t tell anybody and I accept you for who you are so there’s nothing you’ve got to be afraid of. Nothing is going to change.” She patted my back and smiled at me.

 

 

“Thank you. I really appreciate you a lot.” I smiled back and sighed out of relief. I’m really thankful to have a friend who was very accepting.

 

 

“By the way, please don’t tell Si Hyun anything yet. It’s not that I don’t trust her or whatever. It’s just.. you know.. this is new to me. So I just want to keep everything low-key. I’ll eventually tell her soon.” I added.

 

 

“Sure! No problem. You can count on me.”

 

 

The staff saw us outside and he told us to go inside the dorm because they need to shoot all the trainees going inside their designated rooms. We obliged and we went inside. We saw Si Hyun looking for us in the lobby.

 

 

“Where the hell did you two went? I’m looking for the both of you everywhere. Come on. Let’s go.” Si Hyun stood up from the chair and grabbed her bags. We’re the only trainees left out at the lobby and we continued our way to our rooms.

 

 

“Ummm. We just go back to double check the lists where the rooms we’re assigned to.” Yi Ren answered and I just nodded. We’re on our way up to the second floor.

 

 

“I see. Anyway, did you noticed that the rooms were assigned based on the class you we’re given?”

 

 

“Wait. What?!” Yi Ren and I were both surprised and looked at each other.

 

 

“Since there are fifteen trainees in class A, it means three rooms will be used. Two rooms with six class A trainees and one room with three class A and class B trainees. So there’s a probability that all of Yena’s roommates will be all trainees in class A. I’m happy for you. I wish we could be roommates if you were assigned to the room with mixed of class A and class B trainees.” Si Hyun continued.

 

 

“Oh no.. no. no.. no. This can’t be.” I’m having a mini panic heart attack.

 

 

“Huh? What do you mean? Don’t you want me to become your roommate?” Si Hyun looked at me confusedly.

 

 

“No. I mean.. uhh. I mean.. I.. uhh ..mean..”

 

 

“She means she doesn’t want you to become her roommate because you snore.” Yi Ren saved me from my gay panic moment.

 

 

“Yaaah! I don’t snore!” Si Hyun lightly hit my arm. All three of us were laughing as soon as we hit the second floor.

 

 

But if what Si Hyun said is true, then I’m doomed. Yuri and I got both an A which means there’s a huge chance that we might be in the same room. But what if both Yuri and I lived together in the same room? Just thinking of it made me want to just go home and forgot that I ever existed in this world. Every time I think about what happened earlier, I felt more embarrassed. Why am I such a coward?

 

 

I’m in the middle of my deep thinking as we’re walking towards our room in the hallway, when Yi Ren lightly hit me with her elbow. I finally came back to my senses and I looked at her. She pouted pointing at somewhere. I looked at the direction where she’s pointing at.

 

 

 

 

 

 I saw Yuri.

 

 

 

 

 

And Yuri saw me.

 

 

 

 

 

And she’s walking towards us.

 

 

 

 

 

Wait. WHAT?

 

 

 

 

 

IS SHE?

 

 

 

 

 

OH .

 

 

 

 

 

SHE REALLY IS.

 

 

I panicked again and I quickly hid behind Yi Ren. Si Hyun was just looking at us and she’s even more confused.

 

 

“What the hell are you doing?!” Yi Ren was also confused on what she’s going to do while trying her best to hide me behind her.

 

 

“Just tell her anything! Like I’m sick or whatever! Pleeease I’m begging you.”

 

 

“Wait. WHAT? What sickness?!”

 

 

“I don’t know! Just say something!”

 

 

Yuri reached us with a smile on her face while I’m trying my best to hide my face.

 

 

“Hi!” Yuri waved at us.

 

 

Si Hyun and Yi Ren politely waved back and smiled.

 

 

“Umm. Can I talk to Yena?” She pointed at me even though I’m trying to hide.

 

 

“Uhmmm. She can’t.. ‘Cause uhmmm. She has… Uhmmm.. You know… Uhmmm. She has  uhhh.. She has an.. She has an allee….rgy… allergy” Yi Ren answered while scratching her head.

 

 

“What?! Allergy?! Really?! are you serious?!” I whispered to Yi Ren.

 

 

“What do you want me supposed to say then?!” She whispered back.

 

 

“Oh I’m sorry to hear that. What kind of allergy does she have? Maybe I can help or something.” Yuri offered.

 

 

“Uhmmm.. Uhhh.. She has… a… Uhhmmm… You know… Uhhhh… I mean… Uhmmm… She has… Uhmmm.. What do you call it again?.. Uhmm.” Yi Ren tried to give signals at Si Hyun to help her but Si Hyun was just looking at her because she had no idea what the hell was going on.

 

 

Yi Ren was scratching her head more intensely. “Uhmmm.. I think.. She’s allergic to.. Uhmmm… I uhmmm.. I uhhh… I think …. Ummmm … She’s allergic to pretty girls like you.”

 

 

*AWKWARD SILENCE*

 

 

I facepalmed so hard.

 

 

“WOW. That’s the lamest thing I’ve ever heard in my life.” Si Hyun said in disbelief.

 

 

Yuri giggled and covered her smile with her hand. “Okay. I understand. I hope she get well soon. See you guys around.” She waved and walked towards back to her room.

 

 

Si Hyun looked at us suspiciously and Yi Ren was just dying of laughter, while I’m already thinking at the back of my mind about the arrangements of my funeral.

 

 

“Okay now you two! You’ve got a lot of explaining to do later! But for now, we need to check our rooms first. I’ll catch both of you later.” Si Hyun went inside her room and the same thing with Yi Ren who’s still holding her laughter. I shook my head a little and walked towards my assigned room. I saw my supposed to be roommates standing outside and we all decided to go inside together. I sighed out of relief when I found out Yuri was not my roommate but her room was just beside our room. When we went in, we put our bags to the side and we all opened our cabinets to check what color our shirt was. It’s pink. It’s really shiny and pretty. The next thing we did is to read the trainee guidelines. Kwon Eunbi read the guidelines out loud for us. Some of it were...

 

 

“You must abide by your class schedule.”

 

 

“Make sure to keep your classrooms and dorms clean.”

 

 

“Unnecessary physical contact is forbidden.”

 

 

 

Ehhh?

 

 

I awkwardly laughed when I heard that. I mean do weird things really happen in this dorm? I just don’t get it why they need to put it there. I just shrugged it off and kept my cool.

 

 

 After that, we decided what bunk we would like to choose. I chose the lower bunk bed. We all had a casual talk while fixing some of our stuffs. Some of the trainees were called back to the studio to do some interview and stuffs. Some were just resting and some were just chatting with each other. For me, I just took a quick nap for a while to rest my thoughts. There were a lot of things already happened at my first day. There were really A LOT.

 

 

It’s time to eat dinner and all the trainees were called to the canteen. The foods were served in tray and we all need to line up. The good thing was everyone can sit wherever they would like to. So when I saw Si Hyun and Yi Ren we all sat and ate together.

 

 

“So, what happened a while ago?” Si Hyun asked us while munching her chicken.

 

 

Yi Ren and I both looked at each other and she gave me a nod.

 

 

“Okay. For starters, I have a crush on someone since her Idol School up to now and I didn’t expect to see her here at all. That’s it.” I told her while trying to steal her banana.

 

 

“Oh. So basically, what you’re trying to say is you like Jo Yuri.” Si Hyun slapped my hand and she unintentionally said it loudly.

 

 

“What the hell! Jeez!  Can you lower your voice a little bit?”

 

 

“And Yena confessed but she ran away.” Yi Ren added.

 

 

“You WHAT?!” Si Hyun stood up and slammed the table.

 

 

“Jeez.. Calm down! I don’t know what else to do. I panicked.” I said while trying to sit down Si Hyun.

 

 

“You’re dumb. Who the hell confesses and just run away after without knowing what their reaction or answer was?” Si Hyun sat down and was in huge disbelief.

 

 

“Well. She did.” Yi Ren said while eating Si Hyun’s banana.

 

 

“Yaaah! That’s mine!” Si Hyun grabbed her banana back from Yi Ren’s hand and continued eating it.

 

 

“Well. I kind a confessed, maybe? But I kind a took back all my words after.” I said while trying to steal Yi Ren’s yogurt.

 

 

“You WHAT?!” Si Hyun and Yi Ren said it in unison.

 

 

 “I thought you just confessed you like her.” Yi Ren asked confusedly.

 

 

“Well. Yeah. But I took it back and I just said ‘I like your yellow bow tie’ stuff like that” I covered my face to hide my embarrassment.

 

 

“I thought Yi Ren’s stupid pick up line was lame. You are much worse.” Si Hyun shook her head a little bit. “Come on! We need to find Yuri now!” Si Hyun grabbed my hand and stood up.

 

 

“Huh? What?! No!” I declined.

 

 

Si Hyun looked around and saw Yuri from afar. Yuri and her friends just finished eating their food.

 

 

“Yuri! Yuri!” Si Hyun shouted while pulling me closer to Yuri. Fortunately, she couldn’t hear Si Hyun.

 

 

“Nooo! I can’t do this! I might got heart broken or something!” I objected while trying to pull Si Hyun back from our seats.

 

 

“So what? It’s better you know it whether she rejects you or not rather than you’re not doing anything at all. It’s more painful when you just assume!”

 

 

“But…. But… but…”

 

 

“No buts. Let’s go!”

 

 

Si Hyun helplessly pulled me to Yuri.

 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 

[[YURI’S POV]]

 

 

“Yuri, is Yena your roommate?” Sian whispered to me.

 

 

“No. Why?” I whispered back.

 

 

We finished eating our dinner inside this big canteen, I’m sitting beside Sian and in front of us were Eun Young and Gyu Ri.

 

 

“Aww. You must be really sad. But why aren’t you looked sad at all? Did something happen?” Sian teased me.

 

 

I bit my lip to prevent from smiling.

 

 

“Or I guess something is going to happen now.” Sian turned her head at someone behind me.

 

 

“Hi Yuri!”

 

 

I turned my head to check who it was.

 

 

“Yena has something to ask you in private.” Si Hyun moved to the side to show Yena who’s hiding at her back. She kept looking at the ground and when she realized she’s no longer behind Si Hyun, she immediately turned around. She’s such a cutie.

 

 

“Uhm. Sure.”  I stood up and excused myself. I saw Sian was grinning at me. I shook my head a little bit. Si Hyun replaced me on my seat and gave Yena two thumbs up. I saw Yena’s face turned redder. We both left the canteen and went to this mini park outside. We sat down on the park bench.

 

 

*AWKWARD SILENCE*

 

 

“Umm..  Are you okay now? I mean… Do you really have an allergy a while ago?” I started the conversation.

 

 

She facepalmed and I chuckled. “Hahaha. You’re so cute.”

 

 

She covered her face with her hands to hide her embarrassment.

 

 

“Hahaha. I’m sorry.” I added.

 

 

She’s not talking at all.

 

 

*AWKWARD SILENCE*

 

 

 “By the way, your friend said you want to ask me about something. What is it?” I asked while looking at her. She removed her hands off her face and looked at the ground. She sighed loudly and kept quiet for a few minutes.

 

 

“Shall we play a game?” She finally spoke.

 

 

“Huh? What game?” I was surprised.

 

 

“Let’s play. ‘Bring Me’”

 

 

“Umm. Okaaay?” I really don’t know what’s going on inside her mind so I just went with the flow.

 

 

“We take turns, okay? I’m first.” She stood up and looked around. She saw something from the ground; she went and picked up an empty jar.

 

 

“Bring me a firefly.” She handed me the empty jar while grinning.

 

 

“A firefly? Are you serious?” I chuckled.

 

 

“Yeah. You only have thirty seconds. 30… 29… 28…”

 

 

“What the heck? Hahaha. Wait!”

 

 

I stood up and tried to catch a firefly. I ran and I jumped anywhere and she just kept laughing on me.

 

 

“10… 9… 8…. 7…”

 

 

“Waaaaaiiiiiittttt!” I shouted and I was embarrassed at myself too.  I couldn’t hold my laughter anymore so I sat on the ground and burst out of laughter. She went to me and also sat on the ground with me, she couldn’t stop laughing. We looked like complete idiots.

 

 

“That’s so embarrassing.” I bit my lower lip while wiping my sweat with the back of my hand. I swear that was the intense thirty seconds of my life.

 

 

She stood up and offered me a hand. I accepted it and I stood up.

 

 

“Why are you like that? Hahaha. Why is it so hard? Let’s do it again. Make this an easy one!” I requested. I was determined to complete the task.

 

 

She wiped her tears of joy on her face. “Ummm. Okay.” She turned around and took steps around the park. She was looking for something.

 

 

“Okay. Are you ready?” She said while smiling at me.

 

 

“Ready! What is it?”

 

 

“Bring me something that I like."

 

 

“Huh? How am I supposed to know? Why is it so hard?” I sighed.

 

 

She pointed at the ground in front of her.

 

 

“Huh? What are you talking about? You will just bring yourself here.”

 

 

 

GAME OVER

 

 

 

I don’t know how my feet automatically walked towards her.

 

 

 

 

 

She’s like pulling me unintentionally..

 

 

 

 

 

..and I was helpless.

 

 

 

 

 

The cold breeze touches my skin..

 

 

 

 

..but a warm breeze touches my heart.

 

 

 

 

 

It’s an unfamiliar feeling..

 

 

 

 

.. and I don’t want it to stop.

 

 

 

 

When I was right in front of her, I asked her something.

 

 

 

 

“What do you mean?”

 

 

 

“That’s what I’m trying to say to you. I don’t know how to confess. I’m not really good at it.” She looked at the ground and she kept avoiding my eyes.

 

 

 

I couldn’t hide the happiness I’ve been feeling. I’m smiling like an idiot.

 

 

 

“Do you believe in love at first sight?” she continued asking.

 

 

 

“No. Not really”

 

 

 

She quickly ran and hid behind the park bench. I looked at her intently and I’m figuring out what she’s doing. She then stood up and walked passed by me.

 

 

 

“There. Do you believe now?”

 

 

 

I bit my lip and she giggled.

 

 

 

This girl is really something.

 

 

 

 

I couldn’t hide this anymore.

 

 

 

 

Our eyes met again.

 

 

 

 

I came closer..

 

 

 

 

 

..and closer..

 

 

 

 

 

..and much closer..

 

 

 

 

 

..and our lips touched for the first time.

 

 

[[a/n: Oooooffff. hahaha. Sorry for the delay and I feel a lot better now. I hope you like this chapter! Do you like fluffy chapters or do you want me to rip off your hearts? Lol. Jk. Tell me your thoughts about it! Thank you so much for waiting and for the support! Xoxoxox]]

Follow me on instagram and twitter: @yenaxyuri

 

REFERENCES:

Dumb and Dumber "I like you A LOT" Scene

 

Produce 48 Dorm Assignment and Trainee Guidelines