Chapter 6: Getting Used to

Stuck In A K-Pop World: Hitting With A Big Bang (A Black Kitty Series, Book 1)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Let's do it in 5, 6, 7, 8,..."

Together, we moved our feet to the rhythm of the beat. We moved our bodies from side to side, clapped our hands, and turned around. In a coordinated manner, we switched positions, still in rhythm with the beat. We continued to dance until the music stopped.

"Okay, that's good. Shall we do it again?" I asked through heavy breaths.

"Yeah," Zoey replied as she wiped her sweaty forehead with the back of her hand.

The others nodded in agreement. I went over to the stereo, which lay a few feet away from us, and hit the play button. I quickly joined the others, and we continued with dance practise. After a few rounds, we took a break.

"Phew! I'm so tired," said Daniel as he grabbed a water bottle from his training bag.

"I know, but we've got to get back to our usual routine," I said as I grabbed my towel, "or else we would all get lazy."

Back home, we would wake up early in the morning on specific days and go to our dance studio for practise. It's a way of keeping ourselves in shape and also coming up with new dance moves. Collins always came to check up on us to see if we were doing so. He had booked the gym for us to practise in yesterday, so we woke up early and came before opening time to avoid unwanted attention from the fans.

"It's good we're doing this again," said Zoey, after taking in water from her bottle. "We had been so busy last week that I missed dance practise."

"Okay, guys," came Collins' voice. We turned to see him approach us. "You can wrap up now. We've got to go to YG Entertainment Studios."

"Oh, yes!" Christine exclaimed. "We finally get to go there."

"Why are you so excited?" Mike asked her, looking surprised like the rest of us over her reaction.

"Guys, don't you get it?" Christine asked. "We're going to the YG studios."

"So?" Daniel asked, shrugging his shoulders.

"Oh, my goodness," Christine said, slapping her forehead with her hand. "Do I really need to explain everything? Since we're going to the studios, we get to meet the YG family, like PSY and many others."

"Oh, yeah, that never crossed my mind," said Zoey. "Why didn't you remind me, Christine?"

"Don't blame me," Christine defended herself. "You, Zoey, have the knack for these kinds of things. I thought you already knew."

"This will be awesome," said Daniel. "I can't wait to meet PSY in person and do the Gangnam Style with him."

"Well, to be honest, we all want to meet PSY," I said, "so let's hit the showers and get ready."

"I thought you would never say that," said Collins. "You've got twenty minutes. Lee and I will be waiting outside."

"Twenty minutes!" Zoey whined. "We're going to the YG studios; at least give some of us time to look good."

"Okay, twenty-five," said Collins, giving her a cocky smile. Zoey's jaw dropped. "You better hurry. You don't want to be late."

Before Zoey could object, Collins started to walk away. I looked at her and prayed that she wasn't going to throw a tantrum. Collins always knew how to get to her, something that I found very difficult to do.

"No fair!" said Zoey as she stomped her foot hard onto the floor.

Ah-oh. Here we go.

"Zoey, relax," said Christine. "We've got twenty-five minutes. You rush to the showers. Sam and I will get your stuff."

"Fine." Zoey rolled her eyes and dashed out of the room.

"Girls are so complicated when it comes to getting ready," said Mike as he swung his training bag over his shoulder and started heading for the showers with Daniel tailing behind him.

"Trust me, you've no idea," I said.

As I grabbed my things to put them away in my training bag. I felt my phone vibrate inside my bag. I took it in my hands and unlocked it to check. There are a bunch of unanswered messages. I had so much fun yesterday that I didn't have time to read them. Likewise, I made a mental note to make time to do so today.

I went to the message that I received seconds before. It's from Taeyang. Taeyang? I never gave Taeyang my number. Either Daniel or Mike must have given it to him. I read his message, which said:

"Morning, Sam, it's Tae here. I hope you had a lovely night. I was wondering if you saw something online on social media that might surprise you. Here's a link to check it out: http://..........."

This made me furrow my eyebrows a little. I know I've been the talk of the town lately, but Taeyang's message gave me goosebumps. The link belonged to a famous entertainment magazine. Hopefully, they didn't say anything bad about me. If it was something serious, Collins would've known by now and told me about it. I decided to check it out.

"Hey, Sam? Are you coming?" Christine called as she stood by the door, waiting for me with both her bag and Zoey's. "We better go; we don't have much time."

I sighed in frustration. On one hand, I had to get ready, and on the other, there's this link I wanted to press to see what Taeyang's talking about. I dropped my phone in the bag and quickly followed Christine to the showers.

Within our given twenty-five minutes, we were all dressed up and ready to go. Even Zoey was on time. As we were heading out, a few people had arrived since it was time for the gym to open. When they saw us, they ran after us with excitement. We quickly ran out of the building. Luckily, our bodyguards, who stood by the doors, blocked the way when we got out to prevent the fans from reaching us. We found Collins and Lee waiting in the car. The driver started the engine and sped away before the fans could even get close.

"Looks like you guys made it out in time," said Lee. "For a moment there, I thought they were going to get you."

"We go through these things almost all the time," said Mike. "It's no big deal when you know the fans love you."

While everyone was engaged in the conversation, I took the chance to check my phone to read Taeyang's message again, staring at the link that came along with it. I don't want to know what the media has been saying about me. Likewise, I've been trying to avoid reading any online newspaper, magazine, or media posts since we got here. For Taeyang to send me this, something's up.

My thumb automatically pressed the link, and the internet page started to load. I looked around to see if anyone was looking, then went back to my phone again. The page had finished loading, and the online front cover of Elle Korean Magazine is the first thing I see. It had my smiling face on it, and what I read on the cover almost made me faint. It read:

"The Astonishing Samantha Glasson: The One Who Stole The Hearts of Many Koreans."

"Huh!?"

Everyone turned to look at me, and I quickly covered my mouth. It just slipped out; I couldn't hold it.

"Hey, are you okay?" Zoey asked. "Did someone send you one of those messages or something?"

"Um... did anyone get the chance to see the cover of the Korean Elle magazine today?" I asked.

"What? Elle? No, I didn't," said Zoey. "Let me see."

I gave Zoey my phone, and she looked just as shocked. Everyone got a turn to look, except Collins and Lee.

"We already knew about it this morning," said Lee. "We wanted it to be a surprise."

"Wait... did you tell Taeyang to send this to me?" I asked.

"No, we didn't," said Collins. "If we wanted it to look like a surprise, we would've planned something else. We wanted you to see it for yourself."

"You're so lucky, Sam," said Christine. "To be honest, everyone has been talking about you from the time we got here and also when we went out on tour."

"You've been keeping tabs on that?" I asked.

"Well, yeah, some of us have," answered Mike.

"It looks like you guys are better off than I am. I sometimes don't go online and see what's going on."

"That's because you don't like all the attention," said Zoey. "If I were you, I would feel like a queen."

"Well, thank goodness Sam isn't like you," said Daniel. "If she were... who knows?"

"Do you mean to say I wouldn't make a good leader?" Zoey asked, looking furious. "That pretty much sounds like it."

"Everyone here can all be leaders. Sam's just better at it."

"I agree with Daniel," said Collins.

"Ahh!" Zoey exclaimed as though she were in pain. She placed her hand on her chest. "My heart is broken!"

"You're such a drama queen," I said as I smiled at Zoey. "You make everything seem melodramatic."

"Yeah, that's why you need me around," said Zoey.

"We all need each other, no matter what."

"Guys, you won't believe what I'm seeing right now," said Lee.

We all looked in front of us as the car pulled up at the front gates of a building. The YG Entertainment building; we were finally here!

"OMG, this building looks huge," said Christine. "Well, kind of. For an entertainment company, that is."

"Guys, do I look great?" Zoey asked, sounding nervous and running her hands through her hair. "I want to make a good impression when we go in."

"You look fine," I said. "You worry about looks for no reason."

"Easy for you to say. You don't have to worry because you naturally look good."

"Wait... for real?" I asked as I raised an eyebrow.

"You really should read what people say about you online," said Zoey, rolling her eyes at me.

"I'll try to do so."

"Yeah, and I'll make sure that you do."

While Zoey and I continued our conversation, the car entered the YG premises and stopped in front of the building. We hadn't even noticed until Collins looked at us and said:

"Can you two save your little chitchat for later? It's time to go."

"Oh," said Zoey as she looked out of the window.

When we all got out of the car, we found Yang Hyun-suk waiting for us at the entrance.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter