Chapter 21: At The Mall

Stuck In A K-Pop World: Hitting With A Big Bang (A Black Kitty Series, Book 1)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunday was quiet and pretty not much the same when you know that your best friend isn't talking to you anymore. As much as I would have liked to bring up any random topic just for Zoey to talk to me, I knew she wouldn't respond or listen. She wouldn't even stay in the same room with me.

Last night, Zoey moved out from our room and since we booked the entire floor, she went over to the other room, far away from me. I couldn't blame her though and I didn't even try to talk her out of it. No one even bothered to try and talk to her either.

And so did Collins, who had no idea what was going on.

It so happened that while Zoey was moving out of our room with some of her personal belongings, Collins appeared out of the elevator. He had asked her what was going on and as usual, when Zoey is upset, she hardly talks to anyone. When Collins asked the rest of us what was going on, I told him that Zoey and I had an argument. With that, he didn't ask any more.

Now, I was sitting lazily on the couch in the lounge on a Sunday, trying to see anything interesting to watch on YouTube so as to pass time since my brothers had now taken control of the TV playing Call of Duty. I did enjoy myself watching k-pop music videos with the likes of BTS, EXO and many others.

I was lying down in a sleeping position, still watching videos when Lee came into the lounge.

"Are you just going to sit there the whole day like a lazy bum?" Lee asked as she came over to me.

"What?" I asked as I removed an earpiece from my ear. I heard her loud and clear even with my earpieces on.

"You heard me," said Lee looking down on me, with an annoying look on her face. "Are you going to sit here the whole day?"

"Uh, ya," I nodded my head and put the earpiece back in my ear.

"Get up, let's go," said Lee as she pushed my legs and they dropped from the couch to the floor.

"Lee!" I whined, putting my feet back up on the couch. Daniel and Mike who were on the floor facing the TV, turned to look at Lee and I, pausing their game.

"This isn't like you, Sam," said Lee, dropping my feet again. "You need to go out and have fun. It's Sunday."

"But I want to be here and watch videos on YouTube," I said as I sat upright.

"No buts, Sam. We're going out whether you like it or not."

"Why? I want to stay here."

"I need to go and shop for a few things and I think it will do you a lot of good too. Not after what happened yesterday. I can tell you need a distraction."

"But watching YouTube videos is the perfect distraction if you ask me. Besides, you should check out these other k-pop artists and groups. They are so awesome."

Lee turned to my brothers who still had their eyes on us the entire time. "Help me out here, guys. What should I do?"

"I think Lee is right, Sam," said Daniel. "We all aren't busy today and you usually like going out on Sundays like you do back home."

"But what's wrong with staying here for a while and do nothing but watch videos?" I asked, looking at my brothers.

"I know you're a fan of YouTube but the Sam I know wouldn't be here lazing around after what happened with G-Dragon and Zoey," said Mike.

"So, what you're trying to say is that I've to try and figure out what to do with those two?" I asked.

"Well, that's what you're good at," said Daniel. "You did say you were going to try and resolve things with Zoey. You usually come up with ideas to do so."

"But that's when I decide to go out somewhere and think."

"That's what we are telling you, Sam. Start thinking things out or else at the end of it all, we won't be able to make the music video. Not with Zoey acting like the goddess of wrath and G-Dragon still mad at you."

Daniel's right. I had to figure out what to do with those two and me sitting here wasn't going to solve anything. But how could I tell them that there were now other problems to deal with? Like Zoey and Derrick's brother for example?

Unlike the others, Lee was the only person whom I told about what happened when I left YG yesterday to meet with Derrick who told me what had been going on with Zoey and his brother. And right now, dealing with Derrick's brother was going to be a lot tougher than trying to sort things out with G-Dragon and Zoey together.

I really wanted to tell these guys what was going on. Besides, they were there with Zoey in Paris and they might have some clue as to what was really going on. But I didn't want to worry them. Not yet, at least. I had already put them through a lot because of my secrets and I was doing so all over again. When was I ever going to change?

"Okay, I'll go," I said as I stood up. "You're right. I have to think of something, and fast."

"Great," said Lee. "Now, go get your shoes. Collins isn't around so we can stay out for as long as we want."

"Has anyone seen Christine?" Daniel asked.

"She is with Zoey," said Mike, rolling his eyes as he mentioned Zoey's name. "They are probably in the room talking."

"Hopefully, Christine would be able to convince Zoey to forgive me," I said.

Lee, Mike and Daniel shook their heads and muttered out words of disapproval. I didn't say anything, as I also shook my head. I went out of the lounge, straight to my room to get my shoes.

After I wore my white pumps to match with my white jeans and purple tank top, I took my purse and went to Christine's room. I made sure to knock first, and when Christine called from inside to come in, I slowly opened the door. I didn't go in the room as I saw Christine and Zoey on the bed facing each other. They were quiet when they saw me at the door.

"Hey," I said. Zoey looked away, ignoring me. "Lee and I will be going out. I just wanted to let you know."

"Okay," said Christine. "Have fun."

I nodded my head and quickly closed the door. It was still clear that Zoey didn't want to talk to me.

I walked down the hall and back to the lounge where Lee was waiting for me.

"We can go, now," I told her.

"Alright, see you guys," said Lee as she turned to the boys.

"Bye," said Mike, his eyes glued to the TV screen and his fingers continually working on the control buttons on the game pad.

"Have fun, Sam," said Daniel as he managed to look at me and smile.

I smiled back at him. Then Lee and I took off for the elevator. When we reached the ground floor, the SUV was waiting for us as usual. And there were two body guards in the other SUV.

"Looks like you have everything planned out for the day," I said as I entered the car and Lee followed.

"Well, someone had to bring you back to reality and focus on what's really important," said Lee, as she closed the door.

"If you mean Zoey and G-Dragon, I don't know what to do anymore."

The car's engine roared to life and the car drove out for the hotel premises with other car following behind us.

"So, where are we going?" I asked.

"To the mall," Lee answered.

"How will the mall help me figure things out?"

"What's wrong with the mall? Just trying to distract yourself will help you out. Sometimes the best plans just come out of the blue."

"I should have just stayed behind and continued watching videos."

"And waste the day away? No way."

"Come on, Lee. Right now, I have no idea what to do and watching videos was the perfect way to distract myself."

"I know. I had to get you away from there so that we can talk about Derrick's brother."

"And what am I going to do with him? Unless I find out what Zoey's hiding, I can't come up with anything."

"Didn't you check around the room for any clues?"

"No. Zoey might have moved some of her stuff out of the room, but if she was hiding something, she isn't dumb enough to leave it behind. I checked last night when she moved out and I couldn't find anything."

"Well that's a bummer. What do you think she's hiding?"

"I don't know. But the way Derrick described his brother, I'm expecting it's something serious."

"Are you sure you checked everywhere?"

"The closet, her suitcase and even under the bed. There is nothing."

Lee remained quiet and as for me, I went to looking at the windshield in front of me, looking down the streets of Seoul.

"I don't know what to do anymore," I said, my eyes still on the road. "Now that I know that Zoey might be in trouble, I can't just sit by and watch quietly. I know Zoey doesn't like to admit she is in trouble, but I have to help her out somehow."

"But we can't do this alone, you know? At some point, we will have to involve the others too."

"True. And I'll also have to ask the others their side of the story with what happened in Paris."

"Mmm. Acting a true detective. Trying to put one piece of a puzzle together with another."

I folded my arms as I leaned back further in my seat, the wheels of my mind starting to work but I couldn't figure out what to do. I had too many problems to deal with and it was driving me nuts. I wonder why I wasn't running around the street with a crazy hairdo at this point.

We soon reached the mall and we came out of the car, heading towards the building with our two body guards behind us. I carried my shades with me this time and I wore them as we went in the mall. I could already feel eyes on me and see phones coming out out of people's pockets as we passed. I was glad that the bodyguards were around.

Lee and I first went shopping for clothes. We even tried out some of them. I had to admit, shopping and trying out new clothes made me forget about some things for a while. I was having fun.

And when it came to the fans, some were brave enough to go past the guards and come take photos with me and take autographs.

Lee and I soon came out of a shoe store after buying some expensive shoes. I bet I bought more clothes than shoes and Lee was vice versa. We even managed to buy a few things for the others as well. The bodyguards had to help us out with our bags because we bought way too much.

When we walked out of the store, Lee suggested that we go down to the food court and get ourselves something to eat. We were above the ground floor and just as we were about to take the glass elevator, I noticed that opposite the elevator was a toy store. I looked at the toys shown on display.

"Hey, what are you looking at?" Lee asked as she noticed that I had stopped.

I couldn't answer Lee. I also didn't know why I was staring at the toys on display. Something had drawn me to this store and I wondered what it was.

"Hello! Earth to Sam!" Lee's fingers snapped in front of me.

"Huh?" I turned to look at Lee.

"What's wrong? What are you looking at?"

"I..." I went back to looking at the toys on the glass display. "I don't know."

"You don't know? You're staring at those toys like you want to buy them all."

"I'm not a child, Lee." I rolled my eyes at her.

"Then why are you looking at those toys like that?"

"I...I..." I scratched my head. This was weird even for me too.

I looked at each and every single toy on display till my eyes rested on a huge brown teddy bear. I looked at it for a while until my mind clicked.

"Teddy," I said, looking at Lee.

"What?" Lee looked really confused and I bet in her mind she was obviously thinking that I was crazy. "You want a teddy bear? But you already have a stuffed panda."

"No, not that. Mr Teddy. The little teddy bear back at the hotel."

"Ya? What's wrong with it?" Lee asked as she shrugged.

"Derrick's brother sent it to us that day, remember?" I hit my head in frustration. "Gosh! I should have asked Derrick if he knew that his brother sent us that teddy bear."

"But why are you so concerned about it? It's just a teddy bear."

"Ya, sent by Derrick's evil brother. That has to count for something, right?"

"I don't get it though." Lee shook her head as she stared at the toys on display. "Why are you so concerned about that small teddy?"

"That small teddy might hold the one thing we are looking for."

***

Zoey's P.O.V

"I'm tired of hearing the same thing over and over again," I said as I rubbed my forehead in frustration.

"You know I'm not going to quit, Zoey," said Christine as she looked at me with a stern look.

"Look, this has hurt and disturbed me a lot. And when I need someone to talk to, you're not supporting me at all."

"Because I know you're wrong. And you're treating Sam so unfairly."

"How am I treating her unfairly?"

"You moved out of the room, taking some of your belongings with you. I know you're upset with Sam, but doing that was not right. You're acting as if she is some kind of alien or something."

I tilted my head to the side. "Well, if you put it that way, calling her an alien isn't that bad."

In a quick flash, a pillow landed on the side of my face with so much force, that I fell to the side on the bed. I quickly sat up and held my cheek.

"Christine!" I exclaimed. I was shocked that she did that.

"Do you want more of this pillow or should I get a hammer instead?" Christine asked threateningly as she held up her pillow, ready to strike at me again.

"Never mind. I shouldn't have said that."

"You got that right." Christine put the pillow away. "I know Sam hurt you a lot, but you won't ignore her like you're doing forever."

"Don't worry, forever will be here any moment now." I said ironically as I looked at the door.

"You know that sooner or later you will need her. And besides, she is always going to be around whether you like it or not."

"Ya. You don't have to remind me since we're all in a group together."

Christine carefully looked at me and stood up from the bed, walking towards the window.

"It's normal for someone to get hurt by the ones they love and you aren't the first nor the last to experience such, Zoey," said Christine as she looked at me. "You just need time to heal. You'll be back to your normal self and later on, you will be laughing at all this with Sam. One thing's for sure, you and Sam are best friends. And nothing will ever change that."

I always hated such kind of talk. And coming from Christine, it just made me want to cry. Which I didn't want to do. So what if I was still mad at Sam? I knew for a fact that I wasn't going to ignore Sam for long. And as much as I wanted to, I couldn't live without Sam. She's been my best friend for as long as I could remember and I'm used with her being around. Without her, I'm nothing.

I've never told anyone this before, but I've always considered Sam as my better half. Not in a couple kind of thing (which is kind of gross by the way), but more like a sister kind of thing. I am one person who is always prone to getting into trouble and Sam has always been the one to get me out of it. If it wasn't for Sam, I would have been a high school drop out or worse. I also wouldn't find myself as a famous singer in a pop group right now.

I am Yin and she is Yang, balancing my life and hers. But mostly mine. I fell we are the perfect harmony when we are together even though I am not as perfect as she is. Maybe that's why I consider myself as Yin, the dark side and Sam the bright side. You see what I mean, right?

And now when I needed her the most, I was stuck with no one to turn to. I couldn't open up to her now and tell her what's going on in my life. I've gotten myself into big trouble this time around and there was no way of turning back or getting anyone involved to help. Not when you know you're involved in a serious situation with a very dangerous person.

It all begun when I went to Paris with G-Dragon, TOP and the other Toxins, excluding Sam. How I wish she had come along with me that day. Maybe I wasn't going to be in this mess.

We were having so much fun that night. We went for the Chanel fashion show as planned and it was fun looking at the latest fashion being worn and showcased on the runway. At that time I felt on top of the world with what had happened between G-Dragon and I at the Eiffle Tower. And I was so happy and pretty much oblivious that nothing could ever go wrong. But sadly, things did go wrong.

As we were watching the models, I was seated next to someone whom I hadn't really took notice for a while since the fashion show started until he turned to look at me and said hi. He introduced himself as Jehan. He told me he was French.

When I looked at him, he seemed like a really nice guy. He was also very handsome. He recognised me as one of the Toxins and said he was a huge fan. We talked for a while during the show and for a moment there, we seemed to be getting along just fine. I also introduced him to the others. It was after the fashion show that I realised I was dead wrong about him.

After the show when everyone was busy finding themselves among groups and indulging into some random conversation, Jehan, said that he wanted to talk to me in private. I didn't like the idea of leaving the others while I went out with someone I barely even knew. But he did say it was only going to take a few minutes.

I didn't find anything wrong with it and I agreed to go out with him for a while. Besides, I was getting too much attention and going out looked like a good idea at the time. Without telling G-Dragon who was with TOP and the others talking to some famous fashion designers, I knew they wouldn't miss me too much.

Jehan led the way out and we found ourselves outside. It was lovely and the night was cool as we took a walk around a small garden outside the building. There were a few people outside, some near the fountain. At least there was an assurance that if anything were to go wrong, there were witnesses. With that I felt a little safe.

The two of us soon found ourselves indulged in some conversation. Before I knew it, we were all alone in the garden and that's when Jehan took the opportunity to threaten me. It was something I hadn't told anyone about because what happened frightened me. And coming from a person like Jehan, you could doubt that such a guy like him would ever do such a thing. Yet alone on a lady. He said if I didn't do whatever he said, he wouldn't hesitate to hunt me down and kill me. I believed his threats because he was pointing a gun at me and his face went from sweet and kind to dangerous and menacing.

He gave me something for me to keep safe and not to let anyone know about it. He said he would follow me to Korea and get it. He was the same person I had met at the café and when I gave him the item back, he said there was more that had to be done. When I asked what he meant, he didn't say anything. All he said was that something was going to be sent to me back at the hotel in the name of The Toxins. That's how the teddy bear came in.

Whatever he sent me that teddy bear for, I have no idea. And when I talked to him about what I should do with it yesterday, he said he would meet with me and give me further instructions. And I couldn't meet up with him because of what happened yesterday.

I had never been in this situation before and all I wanted was for all this to be over. But how? Unless I come up with a plan, I was going to be threatened for the rest of my life and that's how I didn't want my life to be. I'm Zoey for crying out loud. I had to do something.

My phone rang bringing me back from my thoughts. Christine who was looking out the window, turned to look at me. I went to looking at the phone laying right beside me. When I saw that Jehan was calling, I froze.

"Aren't you going to answer that?" Christine asked, as I delayed to pick up the call.

"I...uh, ya, I will," I said as I picked up the phone and answered the call. I could already feel myself starting to sweat.

"Hello?" I answered. I almost gave out a croak when I spoke.

"Nice to hear that you're still answering my calls. Shows that you're cooperating."

I would have told him to mind his own beeswax but I couldn't with Christine in the room staring at me like an eagle. Was she observing me? I couldn't tell.

"I'm great and you?" I said over the phone with a smile. Christine ignored me and went back to looking at the window.

"Looks like you aren't alone," said Jehan. I could hear in his voice that he wanted to chuckle. "You wouldn't have answered so nicely like you rarely do."

"May I help you with anything?" I asked as nicely as I could. He was already getting on my nerves.

"Relax, my little tigress. I could tell I'm getting on your nerves and that won't be good for you now, would it?"

"Just get to the point, will you?" I snapped, losing my cool. Christine turned to look at me. I smiled as best as I could that I was afraid my face would tear.

"I want us to meet, today," said Jehan. There was a touch of coldness to his voice and that sent chills down my spine.

"Today? Are you serious?"

"You know that I am. We meet today."

"But where?"

"At the mall."

For a moment I almost burst out laughing, but I held my mouth. I wondered why he would want to meet me at the mall. I was expecting the café again or some fancy restaurant. To me, he didn't strike me as one person who would want to hang out at the mall. That's what made it seem so funny to me.

"What's so funny?" Jehan asked sternly. He knew I was almost about to burst out laughing. The tone of his voice almost did the trick but I still took a hold of myself.

"Nothing, I wanted to sneeze but held it. That's all."

"You better be telling the truth or else I will blow your brains out."

If he thought saying that would get me scared, it didn't. I pulled the phone far away from me and laughed quietly. Then I put the phone back to my ear.

"I don't think I would be able to meet you," I said, choosing my words carefully in front of Christine.

"I don't care. You're meeting with me whether you like it or not."

"Mmm. Even if I wanted to, I don't know how I'm going to get there."

"A car will be waiting to take you within fifteen minutes. You better get ready. And don't forget the teddy."

"Ya, sure."

Jehan didn't say anything more and cut the call. He was so rude. Bossing me around just because he could do whatever he wants with a gun pointed to my head. Typical.

"Who was that?" Christine asked, looking at me.

"Oh, it was Seungri," I lied. "He wanted to see if I was free right now so that the two of us could hang out."

"Seriously?" Christine looked surprised. "Why would Seungri call you just to hang out?"

"Well, he wanted to talk to me about Sam. That's all."

"And you didn't refuse?" Christine had her arms folded and looking at me with doubt.

"Why? You think I would?"

"Ya. The Zoey I know would refuse."

"He's just taking me to some fancy place. I couldn't refuse."

"Ya, you always like the fancy stuff." Christine rolled her eyes as she looked up at the ceiling.

"Whatever happened to that teddy bear?" I asked, changing the topic.

"You mean the teddy bear you hate so much?" Christine came closer and sat down on the other side of her bed.

"That one. Where is it?"

"Why are you even asking?" Christine shrugged her shoulders.

"I just want to ask if it's still around. That's all. I hadn't seen it ever since we went bowling that other day."

Christine looked over at Lee's bed across from her's.

"I saw it on the bed yesterday. I don't know where she could have put it."

"Oh. Okay," I said, as I stood up with my eyes surveying Lee's bed. "I better get ready to meet Seungri, then."

"Alright," said Christine as she also stood up. "I need to use the bathroom."

Christine went past me to the bathroom and closed the door behind her, locking it.

I quietly went over to Lee's bed. Her bed was well spread and pillows well placed. I couldn't see the teddy anywhere. I had to act fast or else Christine will be back soon.

I came to the drawer next to the bed and checked them, being careful enough not to make a sound. Nothing. I almost started to panic. Where was the teddy?

I looked at her bed and decided to check under the pillows. When I lifted one of them, there laid the teddy bear still in his tiny suit.

"There you are," I said softly as I took the teddy. "I think it's now time for you to leave once and for all."

I heard the tap in the bathroom running. Christine was bound to be back in the room any second now. I quickly put the pillow back neatly and then tiptoed quickly out of the room with the teddy in my other hand. When I reached the door, I quietly opened it and closed it behind me.

***

Sam's P.O.V

"Do you really think that teddy carries something that will help us figure out what's going on?" Lee asked as she took a sip of her smoothie, looking at me.

"Definitely," I said as I got a french fry, dipped it in sauce and put it in my mouth.

"Okay, so far, Derrick has described his brother as a very dangerous guy. Is he some sort of criminal or something?"

"For him to threaten Zoey, he must be. But if he really is a criminal, then what sort of crime does he do?"

"I hope it's not drugs."

"I hope not too." I shook my head at that terrible thought.

"What of gun trafficking?" Lee asked as she held her smoothie cup in midair.

"No way." I asked as I drank from my smoothie.

"So, what should we do with that teddy bear?"

"Keep it away from her. Whatever that thing has, we have to know before she takes it away."

"I wonder why she never kept it for herself. I mean, if she is being threatened, her life will depend on that teddy, right?"

"True." I nodded my head. "I bet she pretended to hate the teddy so that we don't get suspicious of anything."

"She did a pretty good job on that one."

"Ya. But she was overreacting. Who could reject such a cute teddy bear like that one?"

"Zoey."

"Haha. Ya. I heard Zoey talking to Derrick's brother. They

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter