Chapter 27: The World Music Fountain

Stuck In A K-Pop World: Hitting With A Big Bang (A Black Kitty Series, Book 1)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Narrator's P.O.V

The door to the car flew open and Jehan smartly stepped out. He had his expensive Gucci shades on and he slid his black silky hair back with his hand. He looked at the huge magnificent building before him. The Seoul Arts Centre. One of the must see sites to visit in Seoul. The Arts complex had five buildings. The Opera house, the Seoul Calligraphy Arts Museum, the Music building, the Hangaram Art Museum and the Hangaram Design Museum.

Jehan had parked right outside the Opera House and tourists moved up and down the place taking in the wonderful surrounding from the outside and others had gone inside the building.

Jehan looked at his gold Rolex watch and frowned. It was only 4:50 pm. The mysterious man who had called him yesterday texted him to meet here at five. But where to look for him in such a big building left Jehan wondering what to do next.

For a minute, he didn't know why he was even there in the first place. For him, it was a weird place to meet someone. Why an arts centre of all places? If it was one thing Jehan disliked so much, was art of any kind.

He might have beautiful expensive art pictures in his own house, but even then, he didn't look at them for the sake of marvel or enjoyment. He only had them put up because his mother advised him to and said that pictures make the house look more lively. And he couldn't refuse his own mother anyway.

He isn't a fan of music either. And him staying here in South Korea was killing him. Not when you're driving around the local streets of Seoul and hear k-pop music everywhere. As much as music touches the soul, it never touched his. Maybe classic opera music, but any kind was like a screeching noise to his ears which irritated him.

He still stood there beside his car with two of his bodyguards standing on either side of him. They were tall and looked liked weight lifters. They even wore black suits. With them around, you could feel safe. That's why Jehan had them with him today. Jehan wasn't liking the fact that he was meeting some random stranger who called him completely out of nowhere. He had to come with backup in case anything bad happened.

"Are we going to go in, Monsieur?" one of the bodyguards asked Jehan.

"We are," said Jehan as he looked at the time on his watch. "But it's weird that I'm meeting this person here."

"I also find it strange," said the other body guard. "What if it's a trap?"

"That's why you two are here," said Jehan. "And besides, if this person stole that teddy from Zoey and wants to propose a deal, I'll see about it."

The phone in his pocket beeped and when he took it out to check, he found a message from the stranger. He texted that Jehan should come to the opera building.

"Let's go to the opera house," said Jehan. "We are to meet him from there."

Jehan and his two body guards started to head towards the building. As they entered through the open doors, standing by the entrance looking like an ordinary tourist, stood Mike. He was all dressed in black and wore a hooded jersey so that he could hide his face and that no one could recognise him.

Taking his phone out of his pocket, he called the person at the other end of the line announcing that Jehan had entered the building with two men.

Afterwards, he followed the three men down the open wide hall of the building. There were tourists and local people, some huddled up in groups looking around the luxurious hall. The three men were heading towards the auditorium. But the thing about the opera house is that it had three grand auditoriums. Someone had to guide the men where to go, and why not Mike?

Almost at the end of the hall, stood three wide doors. One to the left, the other to the right and the other at the far end of the hall. The three men paused as they looked at each of the closed doors.

"Is this some kind of a game?" Jehan asked impatiently. "Which auditorium should we go in now?"

The bodyguards also looked as confused as Jehan. When Mike came up behind them, he had a black face mask on covering the lower part of his face except his eyes. He slowly tapped Jehan at the back of his shoulder. Jehan turned around and so did his bodyguards.

"Who are you?" Jehan asked.

Mike didn't say a word. He looked at Jehan and motioned with his head to the left, to the doors on the left side. He then started his way towards door to the auditorium. Jehan and the bodyguards took it as a sign to follow him.

Mike opened the huge door and allowed Jehan and his bodyguards to enter. When they did, Mike also came in and closed the door behind him.

Music filled the whole auditorium as Jehan and his men stepped in. There was an orchestra playing in the opera pit close to the stage. Jehan recognised the tune almost immediately. A Mozart classic. One of his favourites.

The sitting area of the magnificent auditorium was completely empty. There was no audience. Even the balcony seats were empty too. Why is there no audience here when there was a live orchestra playing?

Jehan looked around the place with a confused look on his face wondering what was going on. It was then that Mike came from behind still with the mask on that he motioned for the three men to follow him down the aisle.

As they bypassed the proscenium arch, towards the best seats close to the stage, Jehan noticed a man seated on one of the red velvet seats, staring at the orchestra. Jehan hadn't noticed him there before when he came in. Maybe he just hadn't looked around properly.

Mike stopped close to the row in which the strange man was sitting in and he gestured with his hand to Jehan that that was the person he had come to meet.

"Is it him?" Jehan asked, looking at Mike as he pointed at the stranger.

Mike nodded his head, still not saying a word. He soon went up the aisle, back the way he came and vanished into the semi-darkness.

Jehan paused for a moment as he went on to stare at the stranger, all dressed in black and also had a face mask on just like the one who had brought him down here.

The stranger had not acknowledged Jehan's presence because he seemed too fixed on the orchestra playing before him. He looked relaxed as he enjoyed the beautiful tune. He had both of his arms rested on either side on the top of the chairs and his hand was swinging back and forth to the tune.

Jehan looked at the stranger and wondered what he was up against. Could this really be the man who had called him over the phone? As much as he looked relaxed, Jehan could tell he was one man who shouldn't be messed around with. Maybe the man chose this place for a purpose. Judging by the way his hands were swaying to the music, he was definitely one who is a fan of classical music too.

"Stay here," said Jehan, addressing his two guards. "And keep your eyes open for anything suspicious."

"Don't you think his men are also around the place?" one of them asked.

"Of course they are. If things don't go according to plan, you know what to do."

"Yes, Monsieur," the two men replied.

Jehan took a deep breath and entered the row in which the stranger was sitting in. He sat in the middle and when Jehan got to him, the stranger's eyes were now fixed on him.

"Ah! You finally came," said the stranger. "For a moment there, I thought you were never going to show up and enjoy this classical music with me."

"What am I doing here?" Jehan asked.

"Aren't you a fan of classical music?"

"I am."

"Good. Looks like I chose the right place then. Sit down."

Jehan did as he was told and he felt like a puppet. One thing he didn't like was someone ordering him around. Apart from his mother, of course. He was always in control. Even with his illegal business and the person who he barely even knew was telling him to sit down. What was going on today?

The two sat in silence as they watched the orchestra play their beautiful piece of music.

After a while, Jehan tapped his foot. That meant he was impatient. He looked at the stranger next to him who was still looking at the orchestra and enjoying himself. He didn't like the fact that he was sitting here when he came here for something else. The teddy bear.

"Aren't you going to give me what I came here for?" Jehan asked.

"What?" the stranger turned to look at Jehan.

"You know, the diamonds?"

The stranger raised an eyebrow. Jehan couldn't tell if the man was smiling and finding this amusing. Jehan didn't like his attitude and he was starting to lose his patience.

"Don't worry about the diamonds, Jehan," said the stranger as he turned to look at his companion beside him. "When you agree to work with me your diamonds will be my diamonds."

"Excuse me?" Jehan was surprised. "Work for you?"

"Don't you like the idea?"

Jehan furrowed his eyebrows as he turned to the orchestra, hoping the music could soothe his temper.

"No, I don't like the idea," said Jehan. "I work alone."

"I can see that," said the stranger. "That's why you've been doing big. But you know you can't go on your own forever. You will need help as time goes by."

"I've been doing fine on my own just like you've said. I don't need anyone's help, better yet from you."

"Oh, really? Tell me Jehan, how have your recent clients been lately? I heard things aren't going so well."

Jehan felt his world spinning all of the sudden. He looked at the stranger beside him, feeling as surprised as ever. How could he have known what's been going on with his clients?

Jehan thought for a moment and realised this man beside him knew more than he had ever imagined. First he introduced himself to Jehan knowing who he was and now he knew about Jehan's clients. Who was this guy?

"What are you talking about?" Jehan asked.

"I know a lot about you than you think, Jehan." The stranger turned to look at Jehan. "And I can help you, you know?"

"As I said before, I don't need your help. I might have problems with my clients but that doesn't mean I need your assistance."

"Oh, but you do. With my help and your brillance in smuggling diamonds, you and I can be the perfect team."

"I don't need to hear such nonsense from you. I'm better off on my own, thanks. I'll need the teddy bear back and I'll be on my way."

"Well, that's a disappointment," said the stranger. "You are more stubborn to convince than I thought."

"You're right about that. Now can you please give me the teddy. I'm done with this conversation."

"I'll give you your teddy. After the orchestra is done playing."

"What?" Jehan sounded surprised. "Are you serious right now?"

"You're fan of classical music, right? So why don't we just listen together and you can get your teddy afterwards."

"No. I want the teddy, now."

The stranger didn't say anything as he went back to staring at the orchestra and started murmuring to the music.

Jehan rolled his eyes in irritation and decided to lean back on his chair and do nothing. If he wanted, he could have pointed a gun to this man's head, but he couldn't for two reasons. One, he had no gun on him, which was dumb of him not to have one. And two, the man sitting beside him seemed dangerous. His people were probably everywhere around the auditorium and it would be dumb of him to make a move.

As soon as the orchestra was done playing, the stranger beside Jehan clapped for their wonderful performance. Jehan didn't know whether to clap or just sit there and wait. He had his arms folded the entire time and he was so glad that the performance was over.

"Wasn't that wonderful?" the stranger asked.

"Ya, it was," said Jehan dully. "Can I have the teddy now?"

The orchestra started to leave the orchestra pit and head backstage.

"What's the rush, Jehan?" the stranger asked. "I am going to give you your teddy back. But I want to ask you a few questions first."

Jehan looked at the stranger and he made sure to show the irritation on his face.

"Are you serious? I thought our conversation was over," said Jehan.

"Well, not yet. It's over when I say it's over."

The sound in the stranger's voice seemed calm yet there was a tone of authority in it that moved Jehan in the worst way. He felt like he was now seeing the dangerous side of this guy and if Jehan had to do anything stupid, he might just end up dead on the floor even before he realises it.

"Fine. What is it you want to ask?" Jehan asked.

"I want to know something," said the stranger. "I'm just trying to figure out why you chose that girl to bring those diamonds of yours here in Korea. Ummmm, what's her name again?"

"Zoey, her name is Zoey," said Jehan trying to hide the irritation in his voice.

"Yes, Zoey. Why did you pick her? I mean, you could have easily smuggled diamonds here on your own."

"Why I chose her?" Jehan repeated the question, trying to take it all in. "Well, I think there were a lot of reasons I chose her to transport the diamonds. First of all I knew she came in a private jet and there is less security there."

"That I already know. You could have chosen anyone, but why her?"

"Why are you even asking?"

"I just want to know why you picked some superstar. I have to say, your pick was quiet unusual."

Jehan leaned back further in his seat. "I just felt she was one who could easily be manipulated. She's a savage fighter, no doubt about it. But she's vulnerable and I easily took advantage of that. She's one who wouldn't like others around her to get hurt, like weak people do."

The stranger nodded his head. "Taking advantage of the weak. Nice. You and I have a lot in common."

"Is that why you want me to join you?"

"Of course. I wouldn't have asked you now, would I?"

Jehan didn't reply as his eyes drifted to the dark empty stage. For a moment there, he thought he saw something moving within the shadows. But when he looked again, he didn't see anything. Must have been the trick of the mind.

"Anyway, I already told you that I work alone. Now, I would really like to have my teddy back."

"Sure. Why not?"

The stranger looked at the stage and as though in command, he clapped loudly two times and the main spotlight went on. The rest of the lights in the auditorium went off and Jehan turned his attention to the spot where the spotlight hit the stage. And what he saw, made his mouth drop.

Sitting on a wooden chair on stage, was the little teddy bear in his suit. Jehan was confused if not dumbstruck with what was going on. He turned to look at the stranger beside him and he could tell he was smiling just by the look in his eyes.

"Wh-what's going on here?" Jehan looked back at the teddy on stage, then to the stranger. "Why is the teddy bear on stage?"

"You wanted the teddy back," said the stranger and he pointed at the teddy. "There it is. You can go get it."

Jehan looked at the stranger and then he went to look at his guards who were still standing on the aisle and were looking at the teddy on stage. They were also surprised and confused as their boss. The two guards looked at Jehan, waiting for further instructions.

"This is absurd!" Jehan exclaimed angrily as he quickly stood up from his seat, his face as red as a hot chili pepper.

"Whoa!" the stranger said as he raised his hand at Jehan. Jehan kept his mouth shut before he could say anything else. "Relax, Jehan. You should learn to chill."

"Chill! How do you want me to....?"

The stranger quickly stood up from his seat and faced Jehan. Jehan kept his mouth shut. The stranger was a lot taller than Jehan expected. And for a moment, Jehan could feel himself shivering. But he wasn't going to let this man in front of him enjoy his superiority for long. Not when Jehan was full of it himself.

"I told you to chill, and you should," said the stranger. "No one raises their voice at me, you hear? No one."

"Forgive him, boss," came a voice coming from the back of the auditorium. "He's meeting you for the first time and doesn't know what he's up against. So give him a break."

Another man, wearing dark clothes and also with a face mask, walked along the other aisle, from the left side of the auditorium. Jehan looked at him as he slowly approached their row.

"Maybe you're right," said the boss as he slowly turned to his compatriote. "But I've been so good to this idiot, that he doesn't know how to repay me with kindness. If I wanted he would be dead already."

"Hey, I'm not an idiot!" Jehan pointed out. He was starting to lose his nerve.

"Boss is right," came a female voice on stage. "This man needs to be taught a lesson. So why not do so?"

Everyone's attention in the auditorium turned to the stage and the sound of shoes tapping echoed around the whole auditorium. A young lady appeared in the spotlight, also dressed in black with a black tight fitting long sleeved shirt, tight fitting jeans and black high heeled ankle boots. She also had a face mask on and Jehan was drawn to her eyes in an instant. They were intriguing yet dangerous.

"Darling, please," said the man who had appeared moments before. "Just because the big man is angry, doesn't mean he could just kill this guy right here."

"I don't mind if he does," said the lady as she held the chair the teddy was sitting on, her other hand on her hip. "Besides, I don't like this guy at all. Maybe we should get rid of him and his men. That way we could keep the diamonds to ourselves."

Jehan wasn't going to back down without a fight. He turned to his men who were awestruck by the lady on stage. He snapped his fingers irritatingly at them and the men turned to their boss.

"What are you nincompoops, doing?" Jehan asked. "Point the gun at her."

His two men quickly obeyed. They drew out their guns from their belts and pointed them at the lady on stage. She was unmoved by the sight of guns. Jehan smiled at her bravery.

"What are you going to do now, uh, I never got your name?" Jehan asked in a mocking tone.

The stranger gave Jehan a dead look. "The name's Ricky," he said. "You think you can just go ahead and point a gun at my girl? Two, for that matter? Shoot her if you must, but just so you know, you won't see those diamonds again."

"You're bluffing," said Jehan. "I'm the one with the upper hand here. So there is nothing you can do about it."

Ricky laughed, his man behind him also started to laugh and so did the lady on stage. Their laughs echoed around the auditorium.

"Fool," said Ricky as he turned towards the stage. "The chair on which the teddy bear is sitting on is on a trap door. Shoot her and the teddy bear goes down and before you could even think of getting on stage, you and your men would already be dead."

Jehan's mocking grin on his face disappeared. He turned towards the stage and from where he stood, he could see the lining of the trap door the chair and the lady were standing on.

He went back to looking at Ricky before him and he felt he had just met his maker.

"My men are everywhere, Jehan," said Ricky. "There is no chance of you getting out of here alive."

If Jehan had the nerve to clap for his opponent, he would. This guy had him well played.

Jehan gestured with his hand towards his men to lower their weapons. They did as he ordered and put their guns away. The lady on stage playfully tilted her head to the side.

"Well, that was easy," said the lady mockingly.

"All this would have been much easier if you just did as the boss said in the first place," said the man at the other end of the aisle.

Jehan looked at him with an awful look on his face. Ricky tapped Jehan on the shoulder to gain his attention.

"Are you still up for it?" he asked.

"Up for what?" Jehan asked with an eyebrow raised.

"Joining me. Are you still up for it?"

"I'm not changing my mind."

Jehan turned around and started to walk away from Ricky. When he reached the aisle where his men stood waiting for him, he soon turned towards the stage where the lady stood close to the teddy bear.

"I'm going up to get the teddy bear, you keep a close eye," said Jehan.

The two guards nodded and Jehan started his way towards the stage. As soon as he passed around the orchestra pit and was ready to go up on stage, one of his guards, called out behind him.

"Wait, Monsieur!"

"What now!" Jehan turned around and realised why his guard had called out to him.

Ricky and his compatriote had disappeared. The seats were empty and there was no one on the other end of the aisle. Where had they gone? What was going on?

"Where are they?" Jehan asked. "I told you to keep an eye out."

"Ummmm, Monsieur," the other guard went on to point at the stage.

Jehan rolled his eyes and when he stage, there was white vapor everywhere. It was dry ice. Where did it come from all of the sudden?

There was dry ice everywhere that it was hard to see anything on stage. Jehan then realised he had to get the teddy bear and he quickly went on stage. The vapor was too thick, almost like fog and it was hard to see through it but he walked through it nonetheless.

When he saw the sight of the chair, he made a quick approach and when he got to it, there was no teddy.

"You've got to be kidding me," said Jehan as he looked around the stage for the lady in black. There was no sight of anyone on stage.

"All of this is a trap!" Jehan called out to his guards. He heard running feet and knew they were approaching the stage. "They got the teddy bear."

Jehan looked around as his guards went up to him.

"Go back stage and check if there is anyone there. They couldn't have gone far."

The two guards went on back stage, one to the left, the other to the right. The dry ice had started to thin out. Jehan was frustrated. All this turned out to be nothing but a prank. Who were these people anyway? Were they who they said they are? There was only one to find out.

Jehan decided to follow one of his guards, heading to the right. He found himself down the hall heading to the dressing rooms. He found his guard with his gun drawn and opening every door down the hall. When Jehan reached him, he realised that all the rooms were empty.

Just when the guard was about to open one of the doors, Jehan held up a hand to stop him from doing so. The guard obeyed and Jehan silently took a step closer as he approached the door. He stood there for a second and drew his ear closer trying to listen through it. He heard movement.

Bingo.

Jehan quickly held the door knob and opened the door. Just as he stepped in the room, there was a scream, and standing in the middle of the dressing room, was Zoey and Christine.

"Zoey?" Jehan looked shocked.

"Uh, hi," said Zoey, as she gave him a little wave.

"You did this?" Jehan and his guard slowly approached the two. Zoey and Christine slowly backed away, getting closer to the mirror.

"No," said Zoey as she shook her head.

"So, you had the teddy bear all along and tried to trick me?" Jehan asked as he took a few steps closer. He looked very angry.

"Jehan, it's not what you think. I didn't have the actual teddy when it got switched."

"Well, it's looks like you did and you're trying to trick me. Where is the teddy, Zoey?"

"I don't have it."

"Don't lie to me!" Jehan was on the edge of losing his temper. "Where is it?"

"She doesn't have it," said Christine.

"I didn't ask for you to talk," said Jehan as he turned to Christine.

"She's right, I don't have the teddy," said Zoey. "I never did."

"Then why are you here then if not to trick me?"

Zoey gulped. "I...I...I don't have your teddy, Jehan. You have to believe me."

"I would believe her if I were you, Monsieur," said the guard, his gun pointing at Zoey.

"What are you talking about? She is definitely the one with the teddy bear and she is going to give it to me."

"Are you sure? The woman who had the teddy bear on stage had black clothes on. Zoey isn't wearing black at all."

Jehan went on to looking at Zoey and realised that his guard was right. Zoey wore a white long sleeved shirt, white jeans and white flat boots. Even Christine wore all white.

Jehan was confused as he scratched his head and was wondering what to do next. If Zoey didn't have the teddy, then who did? And what was Zoey even doing here in the first place? And with her friend?

"What are you doing here anyway?" Jehan asked as he turned to Zoey.

"Why do I have to answer to you?" Zoey asked folding her arms. "As far as I'm concerned, you and I aren't working together anymore."

"Zoey," Christine tried to warn her as she nudged Zoey's shoulder.

"What? I'm telling the truth," said Zoey. "I don't have to answer to this guy anymore."

"It's strange that you are here when the people who happen to have the teddy bear are here too," said Jehan. He raised an eyebrow as he came closer. "I know you're up to something, Zoey. You're trying to set me up, aren't you?"

Zoey took a step towards Jehan with her hands on her hips. "What if I am?" Zoey asked.

"That means you know what's going on for you to talk like that. Where is the lady with the teddy?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"You know what I'm talking about. You're working with these people and you know where the teddy is. Now you're going to answer me right now or your friend gets it."

Jehan's guard then turned his gun at Christine. Christine looked stunned.

"What the..! Stop pointing that thing at me," said Christine.

"Tell me, Zoey," said Jehan. "Where is the lady with my diamonds?"

Zoey gave him a smile. "I don't have to answer to you, Jehan. All that isn't necessary."

"Don't joke around with me, Zoey. I've had enough! Where is she?"

"Someone looking for me?" came the lady's voice at the door.

Before Jehan could turn around to face her, Jehan's body guard had heavily dropped to the floor in an instant. And in a quick flash, something hard hit Jehan on the forehead and he fell to the floor holding his head. Everything around him started spinning.

"Come on, guys let's go," said Sam, holding a baseball bat.

"Well, it's about time you did that," said Zoey. "I was scared to my pants."

"I should be the scared one," said Christine. "That guy had a gun and was about to shoot me!"

"Less talking more running," said Sam. "Let's go!"

Zoey and Christine walked over the unconscious bodyguard and Jehan who was slightly moving on the floor holding his head and groaning in pain.

Before Zoey could fully get out of the room, she went back in and kicked Jehan so hard in the gut. Jehan held his lower part and howled in pain. Christine and Sam came back to the door.

"Zoey, are you nuts!" Christine asked. "Let's go!"

Zoey kicked him again, this time a little harder. "That's for being such a jerk!" Zoey called out to Jehan and she quickly went out of the room, closing the door behind her.

"Was that really necessary?" Sam asked.

"You get to hit him and I can't?" Zoey asked.

"Never mind, let's go find the others."

Jehan's other bodyguard who had taken the other side of the back stage was looking around in the props area filled with so many props that are used on stage. The place was partially dark and it was hard to look around.

As the guard moved around the place, being careful not to try and hit any of the objects around him, he heard a slight noise up ahead. He slowly moved forward, walking as quietly as a mouse to avoid making a sound. He could tell there were still people in here. Yet he himself had no clue that he was being watched.

He soon found himself in the centre of the room, with high metal shelves on either sides of the wall full of boxes of props and stage equipment. Close to one of the shelves on the right was what looked like a statue of an elegant woman made of white marble. It probably wasn't a real statue, just a stage prop.

The guard looked at the statue and slowly started to make his way towards it. He had his gun drawn up and he could tell there was someone behind the statue. He could still hear something or someone slightly moving in the dark.

"If you know what's good for you, come out in the open with your hands up," said the guard. "I don't want any bloodshed."

A sigh came from the statue and a shadow soon appeared around it. Coming out in the open was Daniel all dressed in white with his hands up.

"You got me," said Daniel. "I've never been good at playing hide and seek anyway."

"Where are they?" the guard asked.

"Who?" Daniel asked with a questioning look on his face.

"You know who I'm talking about. The people with the teddy bear. You're working for them, aren't you?"

"Why should I be working with people who have your teddy bear? Is this some kind of a joke?" Daniel found it funny and started to laugh.

"It's not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter