Chapter 28

Not You...

The last time you came here is certainly a distinction to now. When you looked up the upcoming game during your spare time earlier today, the headlines were about how the tickets were sold out in a minute. That’s when you remember that it is his team’s last home game before the playoffs begin.

Jimri is hopping up and down as you both wait in a sizable line to get your tickets verified when you feel your phone buzz in your purse. Yes, you actually brought a purse. Because supposedly, it ‘completes’ the look Jimri was going for with your ‘wardrobe.’ You don’t like it even though you’re not wearing heels or a skirt, it’s the shirt that you don’t particularly like. No, it’s not revealing as far as skin exposure, but it is tight in certain places. Although Jimri let you get your way as far as restriction on what is sensible to be worn at a soccer game, she wouldn’t let you take a jacket. You’ve had to employ your hat again in order not to meet anyone’s eyes, but you’ve felt them. Yes, especially on the short walk here from the bus stop. You’ve tried stealing Jimri’s jacket, but she zipped up and buttoned every little detail on her jacket, so you had to admit defeat in that. But if you had scissors, you were desperate enough to cut away her jacket from here for more outer protection.

Jimri clasped your upper arm, “We’re getting closer to the entrance, Kyungie!” That’s when you grab her hand and pull her out of the line. “Kyungie!” You drag her away and she gets over her shock quick and starts struggling. “Mikyungie!”

“Another line,” you get out as you pull her in the direction the text designated you. Apparently, Taekwoon’s manager was very generous and set aside special tickets for you and Jimri. Something Taekwoon did not mention.

Your two words are enough to calm her. “Really?” She pouts as she looks behind you two. “But we’ve waited so long there.” You know and you’re going to get after Taekwoon for not telling you sooner. But that can wait for after the game.

Now that you don’t have to pull her all that much, you’re free to take the venue in which is another difference to your last visit here. There are more decorations, and the colors are much more severe especially because the team Taekwoon is playing against their color clashes horribly with his team colors. It’s an eyesore if you’re honest. And with you not wearing any clothes that affiliates you with either team, you stand out that much more. Though, to give your friend credit, she did warn you something like this was likely to happen and she ended up being very right. Curse her and Taekwoon’s color. There’s a hint of nostalgia you can detect in this because it takes you back to what? Second year? The athletic competition between classes and all of those terrifying colors.

When you find the much, much shorter line, you two are let in because you’re both on a list. There’s no need to show your tickets, you just have to tell the bouncer-like hulk your name and you’re both escorted in by a staff member. You’re offered so many things you don’t think to take anything except water on your way into the suites while Jimri is easily weighed down by a lifetime’s worth of team merchandise.

She is clearly enjoying the treatment and you wish it was like last time when you were up in the stands with no one none the wiser of your presence. This is so unlike his high school games. Once you’re shown to your seats, you mumble your thanks to the worker while Jimri is much more generous in her gratitude and is enough to make up for your lacking one.

When the worker is gone, Jimri nudges you. “Hey, cheer up Mikyungie. Just think of who you’re here for.”

“Mikyung!”

Your shoulders slump as the voice registers but knowing who it is, you stand up to greet Doojoon. “Hello again.” You get out first.

“So, Leo dragged you out of the caves and convinced you to come up to the suites, huh?” he asks. He nods and greets Jimri.

The two aren’t very close and unfortunately for you, you’re the buffer. “Kind of.” Jimri smiles knowingly at you.

“Regardless, what do you think of tonight?” Doojoon asks.

You frown. “About what?”

Doojoon laughs. “You know what.”

Jimri laughs with him, “Yes, she knows.”

You want to scowl at both of them for not telling you anything but there’s another thing that outweighs them both, “Mikyung!” This voice makes you freeze, and you feel the whole world coming down on you.

“Noona!” Hyunwoo easily spots you from behind his family and runs to you. His arms immediately wrap themselves around your lower waist. “You made it! Do you want to sit by me? We can cheer for Uncle together! Do you know their team’s cheers? I can teach you!”

“Um,” you get out while awkwardly patting his head. You look over and meet Taekwoon’s family’s eyes. “I guess.”

Thank the heavens Jimri is here with you as you feel her place a comforting hand on your back just above where Hyunwoo’s arms tighten a bit.

You bow to them all. And you mean ALL. Taekwoon’s mom bows back first followed by Jihee who smiles and gives a short wave. Soomi and her husband greet you verbally. Jieun and Taekwoon’s dad frown but still give a nod. There’s also a new guy behind Jieun who you guess is her boyfriend.

You don’t have much time to think more on this as Soomi and Jihee walk over. This is when Jimri and Doojoon bow. Doojoon is quick to excuse himself from this disastrous situation while Jimri stands firm. Behind the family’s back, Doojoon gives you a helpful thumbs up and mouths, ‘fighting!’

Your hands automatically clench into a fist before your mind forces them to relax. “Hello.”

Soomi reaches for your hands and you can’t do anything but hold them out for her to grab. She gives both a light squeeze. Hyunwoo still holds onto you like a baby monkey you envisioned him as. “Look at you! You’re even prettier than the time at the park!”

“Oh! I remember that purse! You’ve kept it.” Jihee smiles at you warmly.

Thank you, Jimri. You blink but still smile back at them. You need to bask in their positive attention before the next level of this reunion joins. “Yes, I did.” You give Soomi’s hands a returning squeeze before you both let go.

“I remember we had such a hard time picking a gift out for you for your birthday that year.” Jihee exclaims. “Even though Taekwoon was adamant you wouldn’t use it but he was wrong.” And now you’re trapped. You’re going to have to start using this purse a whole lot more. Jimri pats your back again reassuringly.

“Yes, of course,” you smile a bit awkwardly as Taekwoon’s mother drifts over from her time talking with strangers with her husband. You bow again. “Good evening, ma’am.”

She holds her arms out to you and that catches you entirely off guard. Hyunwoo finally unwinds his arms and gives you a necessary push in her direction. She hugs you tight. “It’s so nice to have you here with us tonight, Mikyung.” She says this with such affection, you’re at a loss. She did not greet you like this at Hyunwoo’s game, and it makes you wonder what’s changed since then.

“Um.” Thankfully, Hyunwoo pipes up.

“Grandma, give her the present! Give her the present!” he taps at her sizable team tote and this makes his family laugh and makes you confused.

“Ah, yes, of course.” Taekwoon’s mother smiles at you and you can only give a frazzled smile in return, totally clueless. She steps back and starts digging around in there. “Taekwoon, the obvious boy he is, wanted me to pass this onto you.” She gives you a knowing smile at your aghast expression at the news of a present from Taekwoon. Soomi and Jihee laugh at your reaction.

“But he did get you a pretty good present,” Jihee teases you. Her eyes flicker up to your head and that makes you realize you’ve been wearing your hat this whole time. Feeling chastised, you quickly pull your hat off only to have another one presented to you.

Taekwoon’s mother holds out a cap just like the one you have, only this one has Taekwoon’s team logo on the lower brim. Other than that, it is entirely nondescript. As close to your taste as possible that is acceptable with something of his team’s affiliation represented. You gingerly accept the cap but Soomi’s hands are faster.

Soomi takes it from you and places it on your head a bit too suddenly and your hair gets in your face. “Sorry,” she apologizes as she sweeps your hair back. “Even though I got after Hyunwoo for touching your hair at the park without your permission, here I am doing the same.” She smiles as she finishes rearranging your hair and daintily places the hat on you.

You reach up and secure it on. Jihee has her phone out and snaps a picture, totally taking you off guard. Jimri laughs because you got caught. Soomi laughs at your expression. Taekwoon’s mother laughs as your hands reflexively go up to hide your face. And Hyunwoo laughs just because everyone is. You pout.

“Aww, you haven’t changed too much,” Soomi exclaims with a giggle.

Jihee nods. “She’s still the cute little sister from before.”

You feel the jolt run through you at her words. It fills you up with an array of emotions and you duck your head low, now more than thankful for Taekwoon’s cap. Jimri’s hand on your back anchors you. But then, the announcer calls for the audience’s attention. Everyone’s heads swivel to the grand window where the field is clearly displayed at a much closer range than your previous trip here.

“Oh, are you ready, Mikyungie?” Jimri asks you. Her eyes show the excitement and anticipation that reminds you of the number of times before a volleyball game. You nod back while taking this chance to realign your emotions.

“Yes, I am.”

“Noona! Sit with me!” Hyunwoo grabs your hand and starts pulling you to the very front row of the seats.

You’re not sure how to react and it must show because Taekwoon’s mother nods her agreement with her grandson’s request. “Please sit with us, Mikyungie. We have some of the best seats and we want you to watch Taekwoons’ game from a good vantage.”

You’re left with little choice but to accept the invitation. Jimri shrugs good-naturedly before sitting down in her originally designated chair.

“Your friend can sit with us too, Mikyung.” Soomi adds.

Jimri quickly shakes her head. “No, it’s fine. I want to be close to the exit just in case I get a call.” She shrugs at your frown but feel she has certainly done enough to be here for you.

You smile down at Hyunwoo. “Okay, I’ll sit with you.”

He beams up at you. “Let’s go, noona!”

On the way there, Jieun takes her seat next to her boyfriend who is excitedly chatting with Soomi’s husband. She lifts her nose up at you and you greet her a bit tentatively. “I guess the hat suits you.” She says this reluctantly.

You give a small smile as Hyunwoo drags you further down the row and you count your stars you’ve not yet talked with Taekwoon’s dad. You’re more than surprised by Jieun’s greeting with you but you don’t think it would be wise to let your guard down.

Hyunwoo starts naming off Taekwoon’s teammates at the same time as the announcer as well as giving you small tidbits about each player as far as their specialties and whatnot. You do your best to keep up with him while cross referencing his information with what little you picked up on when you looked up the game. You feel a sense of accomplishment when somethings he says registers in your brain as that part of your mind, the part you’ve locked up for two, kicks into gear and accepts the flowing material leaving Hyunwoo’s mouth.

Jihee sits on your other side and, she too, adds a bit here and there whenever Hyunwoo is catching his breath. It warms your heart to see just how much he’s grown especially when you consider the handful of times, he would sit on your lap at a few of Taekwoon’s high school games. He certainly wasn’t as articulate as he is now.

It’s during the entrance of the players and the starting roster is being announced when you realize you forgot your bottle of water at your seat. Hyunwoo catches you looking toward the back to where Jimri is seated. “What’s wrong, noona?”

“My water,” you start to say but Hyunwoo is already out of his seat.

“I’ll go get you one!” He tosses over his shoulder as he rushes off.

Soomi leans across Jihee and pats your hand as you stare after him dumbstruck. “He’s smitten with you already, Mikyungie.”

“Hyunwoo is more than making up for Taekwoon’s absence here right now,” Jihee laughs.

You find yourself blushing and hide it once again with Taekwoon’s hat. Hyunwoo makes his fast re-entrance while holding a cold bottle of water out to you. “Here you go, noona. Sorry it took so long. The man at the counter took his time giving it to me.” Soomi and Jihee laugh at his words as you take the bottle from him.

You smile warmly at him. “Thank you, Hyunwoo.” You pat his head, and he beams at you.

When he is settled in his seat again, he starts in on the other team’s stats. He only quiets when the announcer starts calling out the names of the players one by one. Taekwoon is seventh to be called. You don’t notice the side eyes watching you for your reaction. You don’t notice much else because of the way Taekwoon is smiling at the camera and you feel him smiling right at you.

Hyunwoo gasps. “Uncle never smiles at the camera!”

“Sure, he does,” Jihee shrugs but with a pointed carefree tone adds, “but he doesn’t smile like that for just any reason.”

Her words splash you with a sense of anticipation. It certainly feels that way. Even inside the box, you hear the roar of the crowd as they have a slightly delayed reaction to Taekwoon’s smile and you idly wonder if it’s enough to make news. Even though he’s a rookie, Taekwoon’s public persona cemented itself as a serious soccer-playing machine. You might as well admit to reading more than the news about the game today. You’ve decided to catch up on a lot of things to do with more than Taekwoon’s team’s chances of victory tonight.

The first half of the game starts and finishes. The atmosphere in that suite lacks in numbers compared to your time in the stands but it easily measures to the excitement and highs of emotions as the outside. You sit on the edge of your seat as Taekwoon’s family reignites a part of yourself that you’ve kept dormant for two years too long.

At halftime, you drag yourself away from Hyunwoo to check in on Jimri. She beams at you much like Hyunwoo has been doing the whole course of the evening and night. “No thanks required, Kyungie.” She shrugs as you drop down in the seat next to her.

You grimace and pout at her. An odd combination but visualizes the state of your feelings. Your head drops on her shoulder and she pats it. “How?” you ask.

Your head lifts a bit as she shrugs her shoulders. “Time.”

You nod your acceptance of this fact. “Yes.”

“And love.”

This makes you lift your head, and she gives you a pointed look. “What?” you ask and feel stupid for asking as she gives a tired sigh.

“Mikyungie, Mikyungie, Mikyungie,” she shakes her head. “You need to let things go.”

You frown. “What?”

Now she’s smiling mischievously at you. “Things will become clear to you by the end of the game. I know you. And Taekwoon is not as mysterious as he and you think he is.” Your eyes blink at her blankly. She pats your head just like the way you’ve been patting Hyunwoo’s. “Don’t think too much about it, Kyungie.”

Her words remind you of the amounting number of times Taekwoon has said the same thing.

Her eyes return to the screen overhead. “You might want to hide in the restroom for this next part.”

Her cryptic words are only getting more foreboding. Against her advice, you look up at the screen that is televising the game live.

Your jaw drops. Because this is the last game of the regular season, the players have gotten a chance to do a thanks-to segment. Your heart is soon beating with anticipation and you don’t know how to stop it as the videos go by one by one until it is his turn. And when you see him, your heart stops before beating furiously. He is looking off to the side scowling the faintest bit most likely for having to do something like this in the first place. It’s certainly a difference compared to his earlier smile and this comparison does nothing but make you feel amused and smile.

Jimri giggles next to you.

It’s muted as his mouth moves and he reluctantly looks at the camera. He tries to smile and that makes you laugh. For all intents and purposes, he is grudgingly doing this and that’s when his words process in your brain.

“Thank you to my parents, my mother for giving birth to me, my father for instilling my love of soccer and fostering it. My older sisters for going to my games. My nephew, Hyunwoo-,” Hyunwoo jumps up from his seat up front where you can still see him over the rows of seats between you two. “-whom I wish I am a good enough role model for. My friends who have been nothing but supportive and just being there for me. And,” he pauses. “And you-know-who.” He looks away from the camera and then walks out of the frame. The video cuts to the next player and this player is enthusiastic who starts firing name after name and thanks the sponsors and more people. It’s a massive wall between the two and your mind can only make out this much as this player’s message continues on a lot longer than Taekwoon’s.

Jimri reclines in her seat. “So mysterious. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more than enough articles written about him now.” You stand up and walk away from the seats. “Mikyung?”

“Wait.” You say to her over your shoulder. A guard(?) opens the door for your exit and you take a refresher for yourself to the restroom. There’s not many in the hallway as the majority of people who have access to this hallway are in their own suites. You keep your head down all the way to your destination.

You need to recollect yourself.

It’s when you hear the screams of the crowd muffled but overpowering in that hallway do you return back to the suite. Jimri gives you a concerned look and you smile back to show you’re fine. She nods and turns to look up at the screen again.

In your seat at the front, Hyunwoo waves you over to your seat enthusiastically. “Noona! Did you hear what Uncle said? He said my name!”

You smile a bit more freely. “I did.” You say as you’re about to sit down.

“Uncle didn’t say your name though,” he frowns, and you freeze. It takes a second to sit back in your seat.

“He didn’t.”

“Want me to get mad at him, noona? I can do that for you.” He asks seriously and this makes you become comfortable again.

“No. He knows.” You say this a bit too carefree.

“Knows what?” Jihee asks.

You freeze again. “Um.”

“Auntie! Will you get mad at Uncle too? He didn’t mention noona!”

You turn your attention to the field when you feel Jihee’s eyes. The older woman says, “Maybe. He did mention me.”

“He mentioned Mom and Grandma too! But he didn’t mention Dad.”

Jihee chuckles. “He picked his favorite people to say thank you to.” Before Hyunwoo can make any more comments, she holds up a finger to signal for his silence. “The game is going to start.”

And the game does start. Taekwoon is in the same position from his last home game and he is more mobile.

It’s as the game ends to a victorious end on the home team’s part that people start getting up from their seats. At least you get up. The majority of the people in the suite are already standing up as they joined the crowd outside clapping the final seconds of the game to a close. You stretch a bit and place a hand over your heart as it slows down.

Hyunwoo runs to his dad to talk about the game and you’re left with Soomi and Jihee who smile. Soomi is the one to ask. “You’re eating dinner with us, right?”

You nod without any hesitation. “Yes.”

“Your friend can join us,” Jihee adds. She looks over to where Jimri is and you do the same. You’re surprised as she just now comes back into the suite. She smiles at you three while waving her phone to indicate she just finished a phone call. Jihee turns to you. “Sorry, we hogged you to ourselves this whole time.”

“It’s fine,” you say, and you mean it. You know you and Jimri will be going over the whole game on your own time when it’s just the two of you. When you think of her, you think of the words she said to you. The ones about understanding something at the end of the game and she’s right. As you listen to Jihee and Soomi discuss dinner options and various restaurants, that understanding is becoming clearer.

“Let’s go,” Taekwoon’s father calls out. He already has his jacket on and is escorting his wife out. “He is probably waiting for us now.” Taekwoon’s mother stops at the door. You think nothing of it as you collect your purse, hat, and trash.

“I’ll take that for you, noona!” Hyunwoo grabs your empty bottle and popcorn bowl. “The faster we clean up, the faster we’ll see Uncle!”

You smile at his back and you walk to Jimri who is holding a t-shirt. “Look, Kyungie. A worker is handing these out to the VIP guests out in the hallway.”

You wince at the bright orange color. “No.”

“Yup. But I think it’s a color that only you can pull off.” She holds it out to you, and you swat it away. “Anyway,” she laughs. “What’s for dinner? A big dinner for you and the family?” she asks leadingly.

You shrug. “Maybe.”

“What do you mean maybe?” she asks exasperated. “You’re definitely going.”

“You too.” You include her.

She shakes her head. “Not me. Yoohyuk came back earlier than expected. He’s brought his mom and dad into town and he asked me to meet them for dinner.” She smiles. “I have my own big dinner to attend.”

Your eyebrows go up at the news. “Really?”

“Yes. So don’t worry about me. I think they’re going to pick me up from here.”

“You sure?” you ask seriously.

“Yes.” She pulls you into a hug. “Remember, don’t think too much and go with the flow just like the way you’ve been doing so in here with them all.” She holds a hand out to the back of Taekwoon’s family as they start going out the exit.

You still don’t really understand what she means but nod anyway.

“Good! Now, I think I might need a bigger bag to carry all of this. As much as Yoohyuk tries to hide it, I know he’s a big fan of Taekwoon’s team. Though he’s not much of a bandwagoner who only recently became a fan. Probably another thing he felt insecure about when we were in third year as Taekwoon was whisked away by the team.”

She has an air of caution as she says this and it’s concerning. You don’t get any time to address it as Taekwoon’s mother, who remains standing by the doorway, calls for you. “Mikyung?”

This is unexpected as you thought she would leave with the rest of the family. Jimri pushes you to her. “Go. I can find my way out of here. We’ll meet up and talk about both of our nights.”

You reach for her and she grabs your hand to give it a squeeze. “Okay.” You meet her eyes square on. “Thank you, Jimri.” This makes the both of you laugh because of how true the words ring coming from you.

You turn away and quickly make your way to Taekwoon’s mother. “I’m sorry for keeping you waiting.” You apologize first.

She waves it away. “It’s fine. Will be expecting your friend to dine with us tonight?”

You shake your head. “No. She has plans.”

Taekwoon’s mother smiles while gently placing her hand on your arm. You become stiff for a moment before loosening up and she slips her arm around yours. This level of affection is completely unforeseen. “Let’s go. Taekwoon took those tumbles on defense in the second half and I want to check up on him. I’m sure his coaches have him being seen by the team doctor right now.” She shakes her head. “I don’t know why my husband is rushing there. We’ll just be waiting around there so it’s best if we take our time getting there.”

You listen attentively. “He’s worried for him.”

This makes her laugh. “Yes, of course he is. After all, he’s one of Taekwoon’s biggest supporters.” Your assent to this is enough for her to continue. “But regardless, he must accept that there are others who have their own way of showing their support for Taekwoon.”

You know she’s getting at something but you’re unsure about what it is. Still, you answer. “Yes. That is true.”

“It is, isn’t it?” She asks expecting a different kind of response from you. You both walk down the hallway, just the two of you at this point although there are clumps of people gathered here and there.

“Yes?” you don’t answer her completely, and this causes her expression to show a bit disappointment. You want to backtrack, but she talks again.

“But time will show everything.” She says this knowingly yet firmly. She doesn’t say anything more after this and she’s the one that leads you down different hallways to an elevator. You’re not one to start aimless conversation and she knows this, but she accepts it. After all, she is the mother of Jung Taekwoon.

There’s a staff member waiting at the elevator who recognizes her on sight and uses his card to open it. “Right this way, ma’am.” She thanks him and when the door closes on the two of you inside alone, she laughs. “Oh my, it has certainly been a while since a man has looked in my direction like that.” You look at her confused and she laughs again with wholehearted amusement. “Oh dear, Mikyung, don’t tell me you didn’t notice it?” she asks with a bit of dumbfounding skepticism.

You shake your head, and she giggles. “I’m sorry, I don’t understand.”

“You never mind.” She shakes her head. She reclaims your arm as the elevator dings and opens to reveal the same hallway as the one you used on your way to see Taekwoon following that manager of his. All of a sudden, she uses this hold on you to pull you to a stop and you immediately look around for anything that caused this reaction. “Mikyung?” you look at her and she’s smiling at you.

“Yes?”

“Can you take off your cap?” you feel yourself freeze for the umpteenth time this night. “Now that I think of it, it is a bit stuffy in here and I don’t want you to get too heated in this cramped place.”

You have little choice but to comply with her request. You try not to show your reluctance and you believe you succeed. Her hands are already moving to smooth out your hair and you know you’re left with no option but to stand there as she fixes your hair. She pulls away with a satisfied air.

“Let’s go,” she sounds far too eager than normal. With her arm in place, she leads you into a much bigger crowd than last time. You keep your gaze firmly on her even when you both stand in one spot for too long waiting for a group of people to pass by and free up some space at one section.

 

 

You do your best to disregard the many gazes you get and sometimes it is hard to. But Taekwoon’s mother is there to pull you along and you know that had you been alone, you would have been stopped multiple times not even ten meters in. Is it vain of you to think this? Yes, it most certainly is but it’s something you’ve long accepted when you came into this world with this curse. An acclimation that now makes sense as you recall Taekwoon’s mom’s earlier words in the elevator. She was talking about the elevator attendant checking you out.

You don’t bother hiding your disdain for this simple revelation the further you two make progress into the hallway. The older woman clearly knows her way around these halls as she takes multiple turns into new hallways that you can’t keep track of after a while.

“We’re here,” she announces on both of your approach into a quieter hallway. She lets go of your arm as you’re both directed into one doorway. Outside in the hall, you hesitate but step in.

His eyes zero in on you. They then flicker to his mom who walks closer to him. You stick to the perimeter of the walls but Jihee waves you over to them. Closer. You edge your way around Jieun and her boyfriend whom you have yet to be introduced to. Your addition doesn’t draw any reactions from anyone, and you hope for it to remain this way.

“Nothing too serious, as I was saying,” the doctor announces to the family. “Just a bit scraped up here and there. His ankle is doing well on its own as he clearly knows how to fall without injuring himself.” The physician clasps a hand on Taekwoon’s shoulder. “Good game.” He then excuses himself out of the room.

Soomi’s husband laughs. “He probably wanted to do that the whole visit.”

“It must be a dream come true to be the attending doctor for your favorite team.” Jieun’s boyfriend adds.

Soomi chimes in but at that point, Taekwoon is getting off the examination table. Hyunwoo is quick to bring him his regular shoes but Taekwoon waves it away. Hyunwoo understands and races back to Taekwoon’s duffle bag sitting on a chair in the corner and comes back with a set of slippers. This, Taekwoon accepts and just as he’s about to take them from his nephew, Hyunwoo yells, “I’ve got it, Uncle! I’ll put them on for you!”

Soomi pouts. “Why won’t you do that for me at home?” she asks petulantly.

Hyunwoo shrugs after securely putting the slippers on his Uncle’s feet. “But mom, Uncle ran the whole game!”

“He did,” Taekwoon’s dad speaks. “He probably used up all of his energy just being in the corner the entire game.”

Jihee shakes her head. “No, he played around midfield at times against the other teams’ star striker and their mid fielder.”

Before an entire discussion of the game can truly begin, Taekwoon’s mother cuts in. “Let’s talk about this at dinner, huh? Taekwoon, quickly get changed. We’ll wait at the front.” She turns to everyone. “Has anyone chosen a restaurant for us?”

Jieun and Soomi nod. “The usual since we didn’t reserve a table anywhere else.”

“Like always.” Soomi’s husband jokes. “Someday, we’ll eat somewhere new for Taekwoon after his games.”

“Well, it is one of the few restaurants that has a private room to fit us all that we don’t have to reserve, and it has a buffet,” Soomi shrugs.

The family members start to leave one by one and you almost leave with them when you feel a hand grab you. For a second, you think it would be Hyunwoo since he’s been grabbing you most of the night but as the fingers close around your entire wrist, you know who it is.

You pull away from him and he gives you a look. You give him one of your own. You both stare at each other before Jihee’s head pops in the doorway. “You are coming with us Mikyung, right?” she asks this with a bit of taunting. “Or can you find your own way to the restaurant?” She looks at Taekwoon pointedly.

Taekwoon shoos her away with his hand and this makes her laugh. She winks at you both as she lightly pulls the door behind her but doesn’t completely shut it. “Mikyung has her own ride to dinner!” She makes the announcement loudly in the hallway.

You wince and Taekwoon walks over to his duffle. You watch him to make sure he’s not limping and he’s not. That’s when he pulls his shirt over his head and you hit his back as you quickly make your way out of the room as punishment for doing such a thing so easily in front of you.

He grunts by your light hit and that’s not a reaction you expected because you would expect something more like a mocking laugh or a snicker at your expense at the very least especially since you didn’t hit him too hard or anything. You turn back around with both of your hats clutched in your hands. He’s still at his duffle with his back to you and this gives you a chance to do a more thorough scan on him.

You watched his game. You watched him play. You watched him get knocked down. You watched him dash in front of players. From afar, it didn’t seem like he retained extensive injuries but there’s a dark nasty bruise the size of your hand on his back and you know your hit didn’t cause that. And it doesn’t look like a natural fall caused it either. Before you can help yourself, your feet glide back across the length of the room and once you’re close enough, you brush your fingers over the bruise.

He jumps and gasps in shock. He spins quickly and his big reaction forces you a couple of steps back. His mouth is wide open just as big as his eyes.

You shrug.

And he gapes.

You twirl your pointer finger to ask for him to turn back around and he just stares at you with the same expression. Had this been a situation in any other context, you may find amusement in this. However, he has a big enough bruise that needs investigating. So, when your patience runs thin because he’s not doing what you’re asking, you huff and grab his shoulder to turn him around forcefully.

“Mikyung?” he asks with that shock prevalent in his voice.

“Wait,” you mutter. When the pads of your fingers brush the bruise again, he groans. “When?” you demand.

“It’s nothing,” he tries turning around but you press a bit deeper on the bruise and he hisses.

“When?” you ask more strictly.

“Practice.” He finally complies so you lightly pat his shoulder.

“Yesterday or today?”

“Yesterday.”

“Who?”

“No one.” He hisses again by your fingers’ doings and tries to reach behind him to grab your offending fingers. He turns around to do it, but you’ve taken a step back. He’s surprised by your glare directed at him. “What?”

“Why?”

He makes a face of displeasure. “It’s nothing.”

“It is something.”

He shrugs before turning back around and grabs a different shirt to quickly slip on. “Nothing.”

You tap your feet expectantly but he’s proving to be unnecessarily stubborn. And you can meet him tit for tat. “Why?”

“Mikyung,” he groans. He grabs his duffle and starts walking to the door. He stops there with his hand on the doorknob and looks back to you where you have your arms crossed. “Come on.”

“No.”

“Mikyung,” he groans again.

“Tell me.”

“No.”

You’re both glaring at each other now.

There’s a knock at the door and you both turn to glare at it. “Hey, Taek? You in there?” a male voice asks, and it must be one Taekwoon knows as he opens the door quickly but not without shooting you a look of warning. One you’re confused by. “Have you been checked out?” the voice asks briskly as soon as Taekwoon opens and appears at the door.

Taekwoon nods. “Yeah. Everything’s clear.”

“Your ankle fine?”

“Yes.”

“No pulled hamstring this time?”

“No.”

“How about cramps?”

“No.”

“Anything to report?”

“No.”

“Great. You’re cleared.”

“Thanks, man.”

“No problem. I need to check with three more guys. We’ll see you at your next stretching session later next week.”

“Okay.”

“Excuse me?” you sneak up behind Taekwoon and he stiffens.

At the sight of you, the guy’s mouth opens in shock. His wide eyes dart up to Taekwoon but he doesn’t get a reaction from him. Instead, you’re the one who gets a glare from the soccer player. “Uh, what? Taek?” the guy sputters.

You smile and you know you’re turning it up a notch, but the present circumstances demand it. “There is something I’d like to report regarding Taekwoon here.”

This guy’s eyes rapidly blink and comically, he even rubs his eyes with the arm that’s not preoccupied holding a clipboard. Taekwoon stands up straighter and places an arm in front of you to prevent you going out into the hallway. And also, probably to keep the guy from getting closer as he actually takes a step forward. “Taek?”

You keep your smile plastered and eagerly nod. “Yes. You see, there’s a bru-,” Taekwoon’s arm pulls back from its place as a barrier in front of you and darts around your waist. With this new hold, he easily lifts you up away from where you stood next to him and he turns around to place you behind him. You hit his back furiously but not where the bruise is. You even take your purse off to add to the barrage, still being careful of his lower back. “Taekwoon!”

“It’s nothing,” Taekwoon is already saying this to the guy who’s closer at the doorway. You pinch his side but Taekwoon doesn’t react.

“Are you sure?” the stranger asks but he asks over Taekwoon’s shoulder to you.

You lean around Taekwoon who shifts to the side to hide you. “No!” you actually raise your voice.

“Taek?”

“It’s nothing.” He says this more assertively and he freezes as you decide to fight dirty and so, you wrap your arms around his waist.

“Taekwoon~,” you whine. “Let him check, please?” Your attack has enough damage to paralyze him. It’s also enough for the guy to push his way in. You’ve long since kicked away your hat and purse to the ground in the process.

“Alright, Taek,” he pointedly keeps his eyes averted from the way you’re still holding onto Taekwoon. Not that you want to be doing this in front of a total stranger but more because you need to keep Taekwoon anchored and prevent him from escaping. “Let me see it.”

Your hold lightens to test what Taekwoon will do and when he doesn’t make a run for it, you drop your arms. When his eyes meet yours, you want to gasp because the heated glare he gives you actually catches you off guard. And you don’t know what to make out of it. You can’t even glare back at him for being so stubborn this entire time.

“Sit down on the table, Taek,” the stranger orders sternly. Taekwoon looks away from you and does as he’s told. “Uh, miss, if you don’t mind waiting outside.” His tone significantly lightens as he addresses you, but you don’t notice this.

Taekwoon doesn’t look at you anymore as he keeps his head turned away from you. You blink before nodding. “Okay.” You numbly close the door behind you and when you do, it becomes silent in the room.

The medical assistant, Jaewook, stares at the door you just went out of. He takes a breath in and releases it. “Geez, Taek. You really are a mystery.” Taekwoon glares at him and it takes a second for Jaewook to look away from the door to catch it. “What? You know what I mean, and you also know I don’t mean anything by it.”

Taekwoon looks away from him. “Right.”

Jaewook shakes his head to clear it from the shock of a beauty that is rare in these halls. “Anyway, where is this injury you tried to brush off, but she wouldn’t?”

“It’s nothing.” Taekwoon repeats himself.

Jaewook’s eyebrows raise. “Yeah? Want me to bring her back in here?”

Taekwoon scoffs and Jaewook’s amusement comes back to life after shock and disbelief have finally let up. Only now, Taekwoon points to his lower back when he slips off his shirt once more. Jaewook makes note that a threat involving her works. He brushes this off as his analytical mind takes in the bruise and man, it is a decent sized one. “From what? I don’t think I saw you fall on anyone’s cleats, limbs or anything today.”

Taekwoon is silent but speaks up after a few seconds. “It’s from yesterday.”

“Practice?” Jaewook asks as he walks over to a medical cabinet. He has to unlock it with a key and slips on a pair of gloves. “Which one and with who?”

“Scrimmage against second and third string.”

“Ah,” the puzzle pieces are falling into place because Jaewook has been in this field profession long enough to get a good idea of what happened. Jaewook shakes his head. “You didn’t report anything?”

“I did. After practice.”

Jaekwook nods at this. It’s good that he did and Jaewook won’t have to do it himself. Sometimes, there are players that hide such harassment and assault for fear of upsetting the seniors or coaches. “Good. Some of those guys shouldn’t be chancing reckless strikes like this. After all, they have a greater chance of being cut off the team for injuring someone like you.” He scoffs. “Jealousy and resentment can only ruin a team. After being in the sport for so long, I would expect them to know that much.”

Taekwoon doesn’t respond as Jaewook does his job. It is a deep bruise but not one that will really affect or hinder Taekwoon’s ability to play. It was a planned attack with the purpose of taking out someone’s frustration on the youngest player on the first-string team. Taekwoon remembers this happening a handful of times in his youth but mostly in his elementary and middle school years. There’s really no solution or reason for things like this to happen at their age range but it is kind of expected at this level of play.

Taekwoon winces here and there as he is examined, and the latex gloves is a strict contrast than that of her fingers a few minutes ago. He wills away the blush that is threatening to overtake his calm stature as he reminisces the ghost of her arms wrapped around him because damn, has it been a long time since he’s felt that sensation. He wants to curse himself for not basking in the feeling earlier thanks to his vexation of being reminded of what happened yesterday. He thinks about her now, not that it’s hard not to, but more about the escalation of events that led to him sitting here now.

She doesn’t deserve his ire. Taekwoon’s head slumps down.

“What’s wrong?” Jaewook asks a bit in alarm. “Did I do something?”

Taekwoon raises his head. “No. It’s nothing.”

Jaewook laughs. “Yeah, I heard that too many times from you today.” Taekwoon frowns and can’t think of anything to say. And he doesn’t have to as Jaewook applies a medical patch over the bruise after slathering an ointment over it. “So,” the medical assistant says this expectantly. Taekwoon has a good idea of what’s about to be said but is still caught up in his shame for getting frustrated with her and her pushiness to get checked. He can feel some relief in his back thanks to the patch though. Jaewook clears his throat and Taekwoon is reminded of what’s going on. “Who is she? I mean, I did hear a tidbit of something happening at the previous home game but nothing to this extent. And don’t say it’s nothing.” The older man warns him. “She is not nothing.”

Taekwoon frowns. This is one of those instances Taekwoon doesn’t want to share her with anyone. He doesn’t want to talk about her with just anyone. That privilege is only left to his friends and family. But with her back in his life, and what’s more, her eating dinner with his family again soon, he should be expecting more from her to be included and better yet re-introduced in other aspects of his life. Soccer has been recent though. Her re-introduction being in Japan and then there’s her huge step in coming to his home game on her own. Then Hyunwoo’s game and now today. This amounting list of events says a lot about how far she’s come in relation to his soccer life after starting with nothing after two years of her absence.

And he can’t be any more ecstatic about this progression. He still fills the jitters of playing for her here but now knowing she’s in the box with his family where he always envisioned her being since his first game here. It feels just as fulfilling as during that school competition between the classes in second year. When all of his daydreams came into fruition and it became his very first time playing for her. Ever.

Taekwoon is reminded of how she was taken aback by his last glare directed at her. His hand clenches at the very thought of it. Here he is, with her actually here with him and for him just like he always wanted and craved, and he just got angry with her. His teeth clench.

“Taek? Sorry if I’m just being nosy now. You don’t have to tell me.”

Taekwoon blinks. He has to fight for his composure now. “It’s nothing,” he says after taking a breath in to calm himself.

Jaewook laughs outright at that. “Fine. I won’t force you to tell me. I’ll just wait for any news regarding your life outside of the game. Maybe online or something.”

This is enough for Taekwoon’s lighter side to break free and his tone shows it. “Right. Whatever.” He slips his shirt on.

The medical assistant guffaws. He walks to the trash can to throw his gloves away and almost slips on something on the floor. Taekwoon looks up to check on him as he throws his duffle bag’s straps over his head. Jaewook kneels down to pick up whatever he stepped on. “Oh man, sorry, I stepped on your hat.”

Taekwoon frowns. “My hat?”

Jaewook turns around with two hats. “I guess both of your hats,” he hits both against his thigh to clean them up a bit. “Sorry.”

“My hats?” Taekwoon asks again. And then realization hits him. “!” he rushes to the door.

“Taek?” the other guy asks in alarm as the younger one of the two yanks the door open.

Mikyung looks up from examining the ends of her hair. She’s alone in the hallway looking way too tempting just leaning there in those clothes and with that body to fill them out but especially with her face out in the open with no hat to hide her perfect features. Taekwoon looks down both ends of the hallway to make sure there’s not another male in sight that would fall to compulsion and enter her trance.

When the coast is clear, he looks back at her. She’s not looking at him and he has a pretty good idea why she won’t want to right now.

Jaewook is behind him, “What? What’s going on? You okay, Taek?”

Taekwoon sighs. “It’s nothing.” He just wants to crawl to her feet and beg for her forgiveness. And he will. Once they’re by themselves.

“Right, I guess.” He clears his throat and holds the hats out to him. Taekwoon takes them without removing his eyes from her turned head. The medical assistant stands a bit taller and Taekwoon can understand why he does this with HER right there in front of them but such a display still puts him on edge. “We’ll have a follow up appointment probably tomorrow during recovery. I’ll apply a heat patch or something then.” He walks back into the room and grabs a small container and his clipboard. He edges past Taekwoon to get out into the hallway. “Here,” he tosses the container to Taekwoon who catches it with deft hands. “For later, when you need to change the ointment in a couple of hours. I’m sure there are patches and medical tape in your dorm, and someone can help apply it and patch you up there.”

Taekwoon nods. “Thanks, Jaewook.”

Jaewook nods. He visibly becomes nervous and Taekwoon’s eyes narrow on him but not without cause. “And, um, it was nice to, uh, know that you’re being taken care of off the field.”

Taekwoon’s eyes look to Mikyung for her reaction but she’s not feeling particularly gracious enough to give him one. Taekwoon’s eyes soften as he continues to gaze at her. Oblivious to him, Jaewook says he needs to check up on a few others and leaves. He almost leaves.

There is a feminine voice clearing that puts both men in a state of anticipation. Only one of the two can look at her though. Mikyung finally stands up from leaning against the wall, totally and effectively disregarding Taekwoon. She bows to Jaewook, “Thank you for checking on him.” For me, Taekwoon wants her to add.

Jaewook blushes. He doesn’t look at her directly and he awkwardly brings his hand up to scratch his cheek or something, but brings up the one holding his clipboard, and hits his cheek with the corner of it instead. Mikyung’s eyes widen and Taekwoon wants to scoff. What else did she expect from her effect?

When her hands go out to do something, Taekwoon quickly grabs them before they can reach out to the medical assistant.

Jaewook laughs awkwardly with his cherry red face on display. He fumbles with his clipboard and misses the way Mikyung yanks her hands away from Taekwoon’s grasp. Taekwoon is just happy she’s glaring at him because that means she’s looking at him at least. “You’re welcome, miss. Yeah, you’re very much welcome. Heh. I’m going to go now.” He stumbles away and Taekwoon knows he’s getting after himself for such an embarrassing display in front of this very hot girl. A very hot girl who’s mad at him. And only him, which is good.

Mikyung holds her hand out to him when the stranger is out of sight. Taekwoon looks down at her small, soft hand that were only touching him a short while ago. When she wiggles her fingers, Taekwoon can’t fight temptation any longer and holds out a hand to touch her. She slaps his empty hand away.

Then she ruthlessly grabs her hat, not the one he had custom made for her, but the one from last time she came here and snatches it away from his other hand. Taekwoon blinks down at the hat he still holds. She huffs and starts walking down the hallway while putting the hat on. Taekwoon watches her take those steps away from him.

When he finally comprehends what he’s seeing as she’s about to turn the corner, he is on the prowl and basically sprints after her. “Mikyung!” he says this with a desperation he feels deep inside. He runs right up to her but has the right state of mind to give her space. She crosses her arms but stops. She stops!

“What?” She bites out. She’s speaking to him!

He stares down at her and she scowls but meets his eyes! “Uh.” She scoffs and turns back around to start walking. Once again, it takes a few too many seconds for it to compute in Taekwoon’s suddenly lacking brain. He sprints after her again. When he catches up, he is beating his mind to come up with something that can begin his deserving groveling “Uh.”

“Uh,” she mocks him. But she’s still talking to him!

“Mikyung.” He lightly taps her shoulder and pulls his hand back fast, so she won’t get mad at him for touching her when she’s already mad at him. “This way.” He edges cautiously around her to take the lead.

She doesn’t respond and this has him so close to the edge. His mind is still scrambling for something to alleviate this…this thing…this blockade? This whatever. He just needs to make things right.

He doesn’t notice much of anything as he leads the both of them around the usual halls but taking a big detour around the places he knows there’s always a lot of people after a game. It takes longer but he knows she’ll at least appreciate this much from him even though she doesn’t know that he’s doing this for her.

He doesn’t know what to do with his hands as they itch to do something, and he has to calm this urge especially because he doesn’t want to mess up the hat he got her. He looks down at it now. It took him a long while to come up with the idea to get this hat for her. His biggest motivation was to hide her face from guys and so that those close to her but mainly him, can only see her when she allows them within close proximity to do so. His next reason was that she looked good in the hat she’s wearing now but he noticed it looked old. And the last but pushing reasoning he came up with was that he wanted her to have something of his making again. She didn’t accept his jersey this time, but he just wanted to do this for her with the hope that it tied her back into his life again. He wishes he gave it to her personally, but he rushed the order to come in today late this afternoon and he wanted her to wear it during his game.

He sighs. He’s really made a mess of things just because of his reluctance to get proper medical attention. If it was his mom or even worse, his dad, he would never live it down much less the lengthy lecture he would receive. Then his mom would tell his sisters and that’s even more lectures. He shakes his head at the very thought of how this could have played out much worse had his family found out. And they may very well find out because Mikyung is unpredictable right now and she can easily tell them.

But in the end, he knows she still cares about his well-being. This girl, who at times aggravates him to his wit’s end, is the real deal.

They’re close to the exit when he hears her call out to him. “Taekwoon?” she asks tentatively. He wonders about it. Why would she say his name so warily? He straightens his back and turns around to face her. Have his currently troubled emotions translated into his body language so visibly? She is standing a couple of meters behind him. He’s been tuned so much into his thoughts that he didn’t even notice she’s stopped following him.

“What?” he asks, his one-word question preserving the cautious atmosphere between them.

“My purse.” She looks away to the side after briefly meeting his eyes.

He frowns. “You don’t wear purses.”

She meets his eyes straight on and she smiles. Taekwoon is confused. “I did. Today.”

Taekwoon looks her over. “Why?”

She’s still smiling. “Jimri.”

“Jimri?” he looks around them for said person. “Where is she?”

Mikyung laughs and Taekwoon is back to observing her every movement. He is so clueless right now.

He looks so clueless, you surmise. Your hands fold together over themselves while you get on your toes before settling your weight back down into your heels. “She left already.” You answer him, feeling amused right now.

He eyes you suspiciously. “When?”

You shrug. “A while ago.”

“What purse?” he asks this time.

“In the room.”

“The room?” he asks.

You nod slowly for his benefit. Whatever he was thinking about this entire time certainly did a number on him judging by his multiple questions. Surely, he’s noticed Jimri’s not here with you right now, right? You mean the fact that he invited you and her to attend his game and that he basically only invited her to get you to come.

Taekwoon sighs before turning back around.

“Taekwoon?” you ask confused.

“Come on.” He calls over his shoulder while continuing on his path.

You bite your lip and follow. When he makes a turn, you’re a couple of steps behind him and this hallway you know. It’s the one that leads right out to the parking garage. Taekwoon accepts the congratulations from staff, something he wasn’t doing a while ago walking here but apparently, he’s woken up from whatever funk he was in. You think he’s just going to leave your purse here, but he starts talking to the same security guard from last game about getting your purse. As the guard calls the purse’s location through the radio attached to his uniform, Taekwoon opens the door right before the exit door. He waves you in.

You eye him and he shrugs back at you. Once you’re inside, you see it’s a lounge of some sort. Probably meant for the security guards on break. There’s no one in here and Taekwoon closes the door behind you two. He points at a couch while walking towards a door at the back of the room. You sit down and he opens the door and steps inside before closing it behind him.

You’re given time to think about things in the quiet room by yourself as he goes and does whatever he’s doing in there. 1. Taekwoon was being a total jerk to you over that bruise on his back. He either got in a fight to get it or he got it in a way he doesn’t want to talk about with you. 2. Taekwoon stopped being a moody jerk and became one that got lost in his head. 3. Taekwoon left you in here and probably snuck out on his own thereby ditching you.

You smile to yourself at this. Even if he did, you would understand why he would want to. You’ve not been the nicest guest to him up until now. Sure, he was a jerk but he’s just finished running how many kilometers for how many hours while running after other players who are equally as fast? He is in peak condition physical wise but he’s still recovering from the strenuous activity the soccer game dealt.

And with his bruise, it doesn’t impair him in any meaningful way, but you wonder if you overreacted to it. As you think further on this, you don’t think you did. It’s just that the sight of him being hurt like that doesn’t sit well with you. It never did. Even when the number of injuries he sustained during your time together was heartbreaking at times. Especially when he twisted his ankle at the end of second year.

You need to shake your head from thinking about such a memory. You have noticed he wears his ankle brace during his games and even during his time off, but such a sight has become a regularity.

There’s a knock at the door and you sit up. The couch is much comfier than it looks. The door opens and it is the security guard. He has your purse in his hands. He looks around most likely for Taekwoon and spots you. The guard smiles awkwardly at you. “Here you go, miss.”

You get up and walk over. Just as you’re about to thank him and grab it, Taekwoon re-enters the room. He’s changed out of his uniform and slippers and into jeans and a sweater.

Turning back to face the guard, you smile and thank him while accepting the purse.

Taekwoon also thanks him and the guard nods. “Good game, Taek.” Then the guard exits. Taekwoon walks closer to you.

You look down at the purse wondering what would happen if you hadn’t noticed its absence and went to dinner without it after what a big commotion it made with Taekwoon’s sisters. You don’t think you could talk your way out of it.

“Oh.” Taekwoon is also looking at it when you lift your head up to him. “That one.”

You smile up at him. “Yes. I forgot it too.”

He eyes it warily. “You still have it.”

Understanding the level beneath his question, you nod slowly. “I forgot it.”

His eyebrows draw together. “Oh.”

You shrug. “Yeah.”

You’re about to walk back to the door when he grabs your wrist. “Mikyung.”

Turning around, you keep a blank expression. “What?”

He lets your wrist go. “Before.”

“I know.”

Taekwoon frowns. “You know?”

You frown back. “Kind of.”

“You kind of know?” he asks, and you detect the teasing in the question.

Fighting the urge to glare, you hold the purse’s strap and hit his duffle with it. “I know enough.”

He slowly smiles while shaking his head. “You don’t.”

Not fighting your dismay, you glare. “Tell me then.”

“I’m sorry.”

You didn’t expect that, and you know you’re just staring at him now and he stares back.

There’s a knock at the door and you both look at it.

The security guard peeks his head in. “Reporters are here.”

Taekwoon scowls. “Outside?”

“The front.”

Taekwoon grabs your wrist again. “We’re leaving.”

The guard nods and he holds the door open for the both of you. “Take the back exit or the side exit of the parking garage.”

Taekwoon nods. You have enough sense to wave back at the security guard as Taekwoon whisks you out of the building.