Chapter 24

Not You...

It is another soccer match. This time it’s an official game. And no one had to force you here. You chose to do this to yourself for yourself.

All you had to do was transfer on one too many buses and get your phone ticket scanned at the entrance .Then it was a matter of finding your seat as multiple vendors their merchandise at you in the hope of you taking them up on their offers. Through the throngs of the crowd you can see the wide variety of people who choose to come to a soccer game on a Tuesday afternoon such as today. And it is quite the variety of people with different age groups ranging from the elderly to newborns. It’s rather a show out for a soccer game.

You pull your cap down. This is one of the few occasions you are even wearing a hat or felt the need to just because you don’t want to chance him finding you. It’s already enough for you to make it this far on your own accord. There was no reason for you to make it harder on yourself by letting him discover you doing this.

When you sit down in your seat tentatively almost expecting a spotlight of sorts to shine down on you sitting on the upper side of the stadium, you feel your heart settle itself down. You are doing it. When your phone vibrates in your jacket pocket, you jump. Pulling it out of your pocket, you close your eyes and focus on your breathing. Being in this kind of atmosphere is almost frightening. Your last memory of anything similar was probably his national finals in second year. Besides that, there is nothing in your volleyball repertoire that came anywhere close to this excited ambience surrounding you.

A small family of four sit in the row in front of you and they are clear fans of Taekwoon’s team as the team insignia was on every piece of clothing visible to the eye. You just aren’t sure what the day had in store for you but with them in your clear line of vision, reality wasn’t going to stop reminding you of your decision.

With a few minutes before the game starts, your leg starts bouncing. As the cheers start to increase right on the dot, you take deep breaths. It certainly doesn’t help that the family starts cheering very loudly when Taekwoon’s team runs out of the tunnel.

As if possessed, you find yourself clapping along to the chant building all around the stadium though you are unable to process any lyrics if there are any. Your mind is much too clouded as your senses are tuned in on almost everything until your eyes become trained on one player in royal blue. At such a distant it can only be that you know him best that despite the fact that there are other players with similar heights and physiques you know it is him. He bows deeply with the rest of his team as the announcer yells the team name with a gusto that barely makes it to your brain.

As he straightens up, he looks over the crowd. When his attention is in your direction, you drop your head until your chin is as far down as your upper chest allows. Never mind the fact that you’re high enough in the stands that you are one blob of many, except for the flashy family in front of you. It is minutes later that you do look up while nervously making sure your cap is still obstructing the full view of your face.

It’s when his name is announced that your hands clench. He’s starting. As soon as that thought runs through your mind, you want to scoff at yourself. Of course he’s starting. He’s a potential rookie of the year and this is a home game.

He’s running onto the field to join the other starters. He waves this time. It is two curt waves with a serious look but the cheers from the family of four is near deafening.

None of his teammates’ names register in your brain.

The starting whistle is loud enough for you to realize the way your eyes follow him to the opposite end on the left wing. Your eyebrows draw upwards in surprise. For too long has it been since you’ve watched him play a defensive end except when he did casually play with his group of friends.  He was always a more offensive player executing plays ingrained into him.

As the first few minutes of the game drift by, you take in the change in form. It was mostly all him but there were times when he looked like a different player.

He plays the whole half and you don’t even follow the ball. It’s only that family in front of you and their cheers, jeers and shouts of excitement that are your only indicators of the tempo of the game for Taekwoon’s side of the field doesn’t get much action time as his team’s offense is strong indeed to be leaving him with little else to do except walk around his designated patch of field like an outer planet staying within orbit of the soccer ball. Even if you were so far away from him, you know in great detail the look of concentration that was present on his face as he watched from across the field for any long driving plays should the opposing team attempt it.

It’s just as you think that, does it happen. Taekwoon is suddenly sprinting in for a block to dash an orange clad player from getting into position as the strong opposing kick sends the ball making its way down the field. He succeeds but there was another player following who is running full speed in to receive the ball. Just when it looks like the player is about to make it by him, Taekwoon does an impressively fast spin that cuts this player off just like his teammate.

Taekwoon’s diversion is enough time for the goalie to run where the ball drops and grabs it with both hands, effectively cutting an end to the sudden momentum of the opposite team.

You let out the breath you’d been unknowingly holding.

When the huge screen is replaying Taekwoon’s defensive play, you force yourself to keep him in sight as the game resumes once the goalie kicks it midfield. Taekwoon’s side of the field is bereft of any members of the orange team as all of them are concentrated in defending their goal. But their efforts are in vain as halftime is called and Taekwoon’s team is up by two.

Once he is out of sight and inside the tunnel you think to stretch. The tension has been settling within you without your knowing. Leaning forward until your elbows are on your knees and your head is cradled within your hands, there are flashes of Taekwoon’s movements going by as if on an old movie projector. He’s still in top form. If anything, he’s surpassed that top form to what he is today maybe even more so than what you were able to perceive in that game in Japan.

Not wanting any miniscule chance of you two running into each other, you stay seated during the halftime break. That would only be your decision to certain doom but none more so than the fact your head is itchy under your cap.

Because of that huge screen. And the damn cameras. But above all, it was that cursed family that is seated in front of you. Those damn cameras zeroed in on the enthusiastic family and they are clearly displayed on that huge screen for all to see, picked just because of how fanatic they appeared for the home team. And there you sit right behind them in perfect view without your cap.

If there is any chance that Taekwoon happens to see you then, it’s all over for you.

It is much too late for you to snap the hat back on but those brief seconds of exposure surely are enough. It’s in this panicked state that the second half starts. Determined to avoid it all, you keep your eyes on your feet as the family members gush to one another about their few seconds on screen.

Feeling a little more than frightened, you are spooked. It isn’t meant to be. It makes you consider if it would be better to make an early exit. That is, until the opposing team makes a five minute goal and are soon on the cusp of making another goal a few minutes later. All throughout your time as Taekwoon’s girlfriend, you’ve been to a good number of matches that have had close games like this but that was high school level.  This, this was professionals playing the game as it should be played.

You are unwillingly glued to the progress of the game and is it thrilling. The second half is captivating enough that your eyes do stray from Taekwoon’s form time to time.

At the conclusion, Taekwoon’s team edges the other team with an explosive goal that infringed on the last five minutes of the game. That is when Taekwoon once again makes his presence known as the final seconds are winding down after such a climactic last five minutes of playing. He steals the ball and the overzealous opponents crash into him very intentionally. That’s enough to earn his team a penalty shot and he is the designated kicker.

This is when you recline back into your seat letting your tense muscles relax. You already knew what’s about to happen.

Closing your eyes to rest them, you leaned your head back on your seat feeling the jitteriness in your limbs subside after such an exhuberant game. It’s when you felt yet another eruption of cheers from all around you that your confidence in Taekwoon’s skills is confirmed. Gathering your things, you start to get up as the ruse of celebration continued. You have to dodge flailing arms and a few upturned bags of popcorn in the process especially when that particular family is in positive ecstasy.

Not wanting to linger in the festivities for the actions of the very man you are there for, you move down the stairs away from them all. Slipping through the loose crowd that is part of the early departure wave, it’s fairly easy to exit the stands. Thankfully, there are more exits for the end of the game compared to the one entrance for admission. Walking to the closest exit is when the more of the crowd come out. Some people are even running right by you and very much excitedly might you add.

Starting to feel a rather foreboding feeling, you stop walking but unfortunately for you that is when the whole crowd is unleashed. In droves they come and they are the moving force that push you forward again. Now unwilling and reluctant to move in that direction, you try to move to the sides of the hallway where you can catch a breather but it is much too crowded to push your way through.

You are surprised that the hallway became congested like this so quickly. It’s not until you get through the exiting doors does it make sense and your eyes and mouth widen in horror.

It’s a fan meeting of some sort.

As the crowd keeps shoving you that way, you felt your panic mount once more. Just as it becomes almost unbearable, you gain your bearings and breach your way out. Now on the fringe, you looked at the amassing group in amazement. There is a fenced off area where an elevated platform stands that they are gathering around.

That bad feeling from before resurrects itself when the huge crinkled iron door started to lift. It’s one of those doors used in factories meant to drop off supplies from trailers. Like a window’s shingles, the bodies of the home team reveals itself bit by bit starting from the athletes’ feet and up and up. Frozen in a trance-like state you know you have to move away. You have to get out of there. This is the time for you, before he sees you but you are the one watching him come into view. He shields his eyes from the setting sun when the light reaches his eyes. Unlike you, he doesn’t have a cap to cover his eyes.

Almost with anticipation, you watch his eyes take in the scene before him most likely a common sight for him now within his line of work especially so late into the season. It’s only now that you see him that you don’t think of moving anymore. Your instincts take over however, you move closer to the building where you will be just on the edge of his sight right by some pillars. Leaning against one of these pillars, you station yourself as inconspicuously as you can pull off and make another damning decision to stay and watch to see what’ll happen.

He tries to smile, you’ll give him that. He is a little more on edge and that comforts you. At least he still doesn’t like it when the spotlight is on him. He has enough in him to retain that side of him that you can say you both have in common. And you keep finding these small things that once again reassure whatever inner doubts you harbor that he has not changed all that much.

A couple minutes later, you really are about to go as announcements and shares of gratitude are shared with the fans but not forgetting appreciation for future support for the upcoming remaining games. The crowd does break the barest bit and you just have to choose that time to stretch your arms out that you’ve kept crossed in front of you.

Your eyes meet his and you blink. You also turn around too late. You make the mistake of turning back around and he is watching you. With your mind whirring around it’s difficult to regain rational thought about what you should do with your cover now blown.

The obvious thing is to run away and deal with it on a later date. The next thing you want to do is strangle yourself for staying or better yet for even daring to come here that has ultimately led to the present situation. Just what were you trying to accomplish? Your previous thoughts that had led you here are now clearly backfiring. And finally, you realized in horror that you don’t mind staying a little longer which is surely coming from the same deranged part of you that has convinced you to come here in the first place.

As a multitude of these varying emotions and thoughts consume you, a throat is cleared near enough to you that you know it’s directed at you. Lifting your head, you eye the person that dares to approach you when you’re facing this inner dilemma. It’s a middle aged man who is now outright staring at you. Seeming to collect himself, he does a short bow.

Now more than confused by this unexpected interaction, you bow back after a brief hesitation.

“He-hello miss,” he bows again causing you to bow back once more. “I am the team manager and,” he takes a breath in as he tentatively meets your confused stare. “There is someone who’s asked me to request your presence, if you may.”

Taekwoon is the obvious choice that comes to mind, but you decide it is still best to make sure. “Who?”

His eyes aren’t wary per se but it is something similar. “It’s one of the soccer players.” That’s all he allows.

That answer doesn’t help you but you still nod. “I have time.”

Seeming to be relieved now that he has your permission, he gives you the smallest but still bland and empty smile. “If you can please follow me,” he leads you back into the emptying stadium.

It’s only as you are following him when your brain catches up. You robotically follow him as he flashes a laminated pass to a guarded corridor and he speaks to the security guard there most likely about giving you admittance too but you are in some kind of fishbowl. You are concentrating too much on nothing. That is what you are trying to convince yourself.

Down the corridor you follow this team manager. Now feeling restless and a little more nervous, you take off your cap. Looking down at it, you are starting to have second thoughts about this. It’s as you’re putting the cap back on when the team manager comes to a stop which prompts you to do the same. Those who went out to the small fan meeting are coming in down a different hallway. Looking at the closest sign by a door, it is a janitor’s closet. Peering further down, another sign says a waiting room. Turning back, you eye the other sign you walked past a ways back where you came from, and that’s another waiting room. Your flight instincts are dictating your immediate withdrawal and in the few precious seconds of ducking behind a door will allow, it is too late.

Making the choice is easy, your body on the other hand stays rooted to the spot. That is when he sees you. (Again?) His eyes widen and he too looks like he is frozen. That’s when his eyes narrow and he breaks his stature and makes his way closer to where you yourself is frozen too. It happens in seconds but when he saw you, that thing happened when it felt like it was a lot longer than a few seconds when his dark eyes constricted around you.

The panic is making its delayed appearance as well as a certain annoyance that always made its presence known whenever it involves your ex-boyfriend.

“Yo Taek!” a guy yells from down the hall. Taekwoon spares the speaker the barest glance backwards all the while still getting closer to where you stand.

“Excuse me, miss? You can wait in here.” The team manager peers out from the door leading to the waiting room in front of you. You haven’t even notice him abandoning you in the hallway for the tigers to find you.

“Mikyung.”

When it came down to it, you can’t ignore him. “Taekw-,” you’re interrupted.

“Taek! Coach wants to speak to the defensive line!”

That makes him pause and he turns fully around. That is when you gain sight of the person that is calling for him. It is a guy that looks a few years older than you and he still looks like he’s sweaty and you make the easy deduction that the players haven’t freshen up. When he notices you watching him, he does a quick but automatic appraisal of you. It takes you no time to dismiss him and take a step forward. Your hand reaches out on its own accord. When you made contact with the bare skin of his arm, he just about jerks it away. That catches you both off guard and you quickly withdraw your offending hand. Taekwoon stares wide eyed down at you but you turn your head away, more than embarrassed that your actions have done something like this without your brain’s permission.

With his attention back on you, Taekwoon takes a deep breath in. “Wait for me.” He leans down closer to you but you don’t dare to look in his eyes again. “Just wait for me.”

There’s a short stretch of silence following his request and you know he wants an answering response.

You bite your lip considering your options. “Fine.” The word leaves your mouth subconsciously.

Another breath leaves him. “Fine.”

He gestures to the waiting room the team manager is watching you both from. “Manager Kim? Please make sure she’s comfortable.”

When directly called upon, the team manager gatheres himself. “Of-of course Taek. Um, miss? You can wait in here.” He repeats his earlier words only now he’s floored by this just like you though for entirely different reasons you’re sure.

There is still an inner turmoil going on within the recesses of your mind that you don’t move. That’s when he grasps your wrist. “Mikyung?”

You blindly look up at him. “Hm?”

“Go in…” he stares down at you very intently.

And you can’t help but stare back. His grip on your wrist tightens and he continues to look at you.

He’s not the one who asked you to stay behind after that little fan meeting. That realization flashes through your mind. Signs of proof start to appear. Taekwoon was surprised when he saw you here in the hallway. He asked you to wait for him just now. He also asked his team manager to take care of you right in front of you.

Who asked for you then?

“Mikyung?” Taekwoon uttering your name brings you back.

“Hm?”

“Stay for me.”

“Fine.” You whisper.

“Taek! Come on! You know how the coach is!”

Taekwoon hesitates. Fluttering your eyes to regain focus of the current happenings, you fracture a nod before slipping past the still present manager and enter the waiting room after simply tugging your wrist from imprisonment.

The team manager eyes you even more warily than he had before. There is more than curiosity brewing in his eyes now, almost a shrewd glint but given your newfound revelation, he is as easy to dismiss as Taekwoon’s teammate.

Pulling your hat off to run your hands through your annoyingly itchy hair, you plop down into the nearest seat. It’s not until you lean back your head on the back of the couch do you notice the contents of the room which are bare and neutral save for the framed pictures depicting all sorts of things related to Taekwoon’s team. For a carefree second, your eyes begin a search for anything Taekwoon related but you close your traitorous eyes when this act registers. Now isn’t the time for pointless distractions.

Just who had actually asked this team manager to get you? The most likely answer was some teammate of Taekwoon’s who had seen you out there outside the building. Your heart settles as the disarray of feelings stabilized itself as a familiar pattern draws itself within the recesses of your mind.

It doesn’t matter who it is.

You’re not here for that person.

With that in mind, you secured your hat back onto your head and close your eyes while crossing your arms. This was probably the most relaxed you’ve felt this whole day since waking up before the lights of dawn. For another unique second, you berate yourself for needlessly overthinking this mystery before your mind wanders elsewhere to the reading you forced yourself to go over last night. Never mind the fact that your mind had been much too scattered to fully take in the information your eyes perceived but this does give you something to ruminate about as you wait for Taekwoon.

The door opens and the sounds of activity occurring in the hallway is suddenly permeating the waiting room but is still not enough for you to exit your moment of relaxation. The new arrival to the room clearly stops at the door after opening it. If it is Taekwoon, he is more than a little surprised that you have not taken off even after witnessing you enter the waiting room on your own accord. If it is someone else besides him, then that person is weird for blocking the door.

Opening your eyes and lifting your head to find out which it is, you become tense.

“So Junho wasn’t lying about a babe in the waiting room,” a familiar face drones.

Sitting up fully erected, you let the shock wear off before getting to your feet to give a curt nod. “Doojoon.”

The older man chuckles before entering fully into the room and shutting the door behind him. In the corner of your eye, the team manager’s head swiveled between the two of you. You can only imagine the chaos going through his mind as it does its best to paint out just how this random girl came in breaking all sorts of walls.

Doojoon walks over, totally oblivious to the turmoil of the team manager, while holding one hand out to you. Your natural reaction is to recoil from him but a lot has changed since you last saw him as you let him grasp your hand and give it a squeeze before shaking it up and down in a too familiar greeting. “Mikyung., a pleasure as always.”

“Of course,” you pull your hand back to your person as soon as it wi deemed appropriate and polite. This only makes him grin.

As abrupt as his entrance is, he slumps down onto the couch and you now don’t want to be anywhere near that piece of furniture. Stepping away, he calls you back. “Sit down Mikyung, I’m sure Leo will be here shortly. Although,” he says with a grin, “he’s probably taking the fastest shower after frantically getting all of his stuff ready to face you.”

“Hm.” You perch yourself on the edge of the cushion furthest from him. He’s wrong. Taekwoon won’t take that long.

“I mean, me myself is surprised you are even here after being absent for how many games? I’m more disappointed Leo’s one and only lucky char-.” He stops as he finally takes in the presence of the awkward team manager standing in the corner. Doojoon stands up which prompts you to do the same and you almost bow with him. “Sorry about that, sir. I didn’t see you there,” Doojoon smiles apologetically. He holds both hands out to you with the palms upward, “I mean, can you blame me?”

Answering such a thing without hurting your nonexistent feelings, the man becomes a reserved mess as he tries to come up with an appropriate response. Taekwoon makes his entrance in that period of time and you are proven right again with Doojoon actually looking surprised with Taekwoon’s timely arrival.

Seeing his old team captain, Taekwoon pauses at the doorway. It is then do you let yourself take in his almost casualwear along with a duffle bag spread across his chest. He hasn’t changed out of his jersey which you can see peeking out from his zipped up jacket but he did take the time to change out of his shorts into some jeans. He has the same shoes on from the fan meet and he very clearly hasn’t showered judging by the musky smell wafting towards you even from so far away.

Taekwoon assesses the room before shutting you all in. Turning to the team manager, he gives an almost smile but the gratitude is very present in his eyes. “Thanks Manager Kim. I can handle it from here now.”

Said manager looks like he doesn’t want to leave but has the common courtesy to nod. “Of course Taek, uh, I just have to let Hyungjun know something about his requested guest.”

At the slip of the name, Taekwoon’s expression freezes before he brings himself to nod.

With the team manager out and away, Doojoon laughs. “You came at the perfect time Leo! I was making the atmosphere awkward.”

Taekwoon’s eyes break the stare off between you two to look at the other guy. In that connection, you both share similar feelings about Doojoon’s presence.

“Right,” Taekwoon walks over to you and deposits his duffle bag on the couch beside you. There’s the sound of many things being jostled inside.

“Though I am surprised you’ve been hiding Mikyung here in the waiting room. Has she been watching your games here this whole time? I would think she would be in the family box with the rest of the important people during your games.”

You turn your face away to hide your expression. Stupid of you that you turn your face towards Taekwoon and he catches your expression you meant to hide. He stares hard down at you and you don’t bother looking away.

“Yeah,” Taekwoon answers Doojoon after more feelings are passed between the two of you. He looks fully at Doojoon. “Junho sent for you?”

Doojoon nods. “Yeah, he didn’t let you know?”

Taekwoon shakes his head.

Laughing, Doojoon said, “Well, I guess he wanted it to be a surprise of some sort though I think I got the biggest surprise with discovering little Mikyung here.”

“Same.”

Taekwoon’s response is vague enough to be an acceptable answer for Doojoon but with the way you’ve come here without anyone’s knowledge, that one word answer encompasses a whole lot more.

After that, you couldn’t follow what was being said. You are still taking in the whole thing. Was this what you wanted to happen? What did you want? The only thing you did want out of this sudden interruption into his life was some kind of assessment. You needed more outlook in what’s been going on between you two these recent days. It was unclear but things were moving in a certain direction. Deep down, you knew where you’re headed but this trip is a test to gage your reaction to this side of him.

It’s only when Doojoon is looking expectedly down at you do you pull yourself up for airy awareness. “Yes.” You answer without a thought. More than likely it’s something soccer related.

“See! I told you, you still got it Leo! Even Mikyung could tell that last penalty shot was a clear shoe in. Junho says that your new offensive coordinator has his ways but I guess it’s paying off especially the way the wings are working.”

After that, it was more soccer talk that you were not very prevalent to. You had once been aware of that part but two years was still a test of time that had things slipping away.

You shifted your wait to your other foot because not once had any of you sat down on the couch that was just right there. You, because you were taking cues off of seniority and Doojoon hadn’t made any move to walk by you and Taekwoon to get to the couch. But then again, neither of you really left any room for Doojoon to get to the couch and that in itself spoke an untold story. Despite neither of you communicating all that much, your earlier ocular exchange was enough for it to be understood that as nice it may be to have a blast to the past in the form of this senior, Doojoon was kind of in the way. You and Taekwoon could agree on this. So, in order to hurry this thing along, neither you nor Taekwoon were willing to let this drag on and afford any comfort to keep this going and so you had both blocked the couch. So standing it was.

But there was a part of you that still wanted Taekwoon to sit down, if only to recover from the game he just played. You kept mum on this side though.

Doojoon began making his way to the door. “So, I guess I’ll be expecting a lot more from you now, huh?”

“Yes.”

“Cool. Nice to see you after a long time, Mikyung. Just be you and everything will fall into place.” He guffawed at his sudden advice. Then again, you had tuned out once more from whatever conversation going on between the two and you had no context. “See you at the next game I can make. Bye!”

Waving after giving a short bow, you tried to give a pleasant expression but Doojoon had already left by then.

And then there were two.

You sat down first, knowing that he wouldn’t do anything and would be waiting for a cue from you.  Just as you expected, he sat down next to you with a respectable amount of space between you two.

Glancing at him, you catch his stern face as he looks at the door. When you look over, you see an eye peeking through a barely noticeable gap. The sight makes you frown and the door is closed.

Taekwoon stands up and you know why as you do the same. Neither of you will be getting any kind of privacy here.

Snatching up your almost forgotten hat, you quickly gather your hair into a bun at the nape of your neck. Taekwoon waits for you by the door with his duffle bag thrown over his shoulder (such a familiar sight) and as you secure the gathering of hair with a hair tie, you walk up to him. He watches you and you do your best to feign ignorance. With your hat in place, he opens the door and there are two guys on the opposite side.

Taekwoon stands in front of you and you step closer to his back to hide. You don’t know why but you both pull these actions without any communication between you two.

“Hey Taek, did you want to head to the bar for some celebratory drinks?”

You lower your head when you notice the other guy peering over Taekwoon’s shoulder to get a peek at you. You chance a glance down the hallway towards the way you had been led down earlier by the manager guy. There were a few people here and there, mostly families. Thankfully no one seems to have any interest in Taekwoon’s interaction with the two guys preventing your escape. Looking in the opposite direction, there were a lot more people clustered in groups.

It’s at that moment when you hear Taekwoon’s voice. “I’m sorry but I have prior arrangements.”

The snorts of amusement are easy to identify and comprehend with the two strangers.

“We figured that, Taek~!” one of them is very blasé.

“But I didn’t know you would be rude to your seniors and your guest by not introducing us.”

You close your eyes at the damning words.

“No.” It’s just as you’re about to step out to face the music when he says that. You stare at his back wide eyed.

“What?”

“What do you mean Taek?” the amusement in each of their voices is gone.

“I don’t want to make anyone uncomfortable.”

One of them scoffs. “What are you talking about? Are you saying we’re the ones making you uncomfortable?”

“No.”

“Or are you implying we’ll make your guest uncomfortable?”

“Hey,” that voice is now cautioned. “What the hell man? Calm down.”

“You heard what he said.” Taekwoon takes a step back sharply and you know that he was pushed. “What the hell man? Calm down.” He repeats the words much more aggressively.

Without a thought while feeling the situation unexpectedly escalating, you place a hand on Taekwoon’s back and you feel the shiver that goes through the both of you at the premeditated contact.

Stepping out in the open, you don’t hold anything back in your glare at the two guys. Their attention immediately goes to you. “What do you want?” The two guys can only blink at you. Crossing your arms across your chest, you ask again. “What do you want?”

The one that was positioned between Taekwoon and the other guy recovered first although he didn’t move from the defensive positioning to speak to you. “Uh, right. Sorry about that,” he chuckled nervously. You instantly recognized the form of damage control and backtracking. “We just wanted to-,” he gets cut off.

You know what they wanted. “No.”

The guy who clearly had no decorum of any kind leaned down close to you just to get a clearer view of your face. “Hey, so you can speak.” He’s lost his confrontational tone that he had been using with Taekwoon and chooses to take on a teasing one. This makes you dislike him even more. If he was going to be an then it would be a lot more honest of him if he let his true colors shine directly in front of you. “Why were you hiding? I’m hurt you wouldn’t want to meet new people.”

Next to you, where your arms are brushing, Taekwoon stiffens as this guy actually reaches out to remove your hat. You grab Taekwoon’s hand just as it moves to push the guy away or to move you back behind him. You don’t want to chance it. You know your sudden contact with him will make him focus more on that and so you lock his wrist with your fingers with a better and firmer grip than a weak one on his hand.

With one of your hands occupied, you use the other to smack the player’s hand away just as he pulls your hat off of your head. Your hat drops to the ground. “Don’t touch me.”

The shock is beyond prevalent and without a doubt, your little group has the entire hallway’s attention now especially the way the sound of your hit on his hand is loud enough.

Still glaring at the offending hand, you don’t relent on your pointed glare until it is removed from your personal space. “I do not appreciate your lack of propriety.” Each word has a bite to it as you look into the offender’s eyes straight on. His eyes are eyes that you’ve seen aplenty but more recently with that jerk in your last group project. With the attention you’ve been susceptible to, the look that immediately follows your rejections varied but remained in the same tangent of color. The surprise and hurt were the most familiar. Anger and humiliation were the ones that followed and were the most annoying because of the reactions that shadowed them especially very public interactions.

It’s at this moment that there had been enough time for someone of importance or with power is alerted of the goings on in that dingy hallway.

“What’s going on here!” a booming voice echoes. You don’t bother to see whom the voice belongs to but as the guy still invading your personal space spares a look, you know you’ve won this confrontation. If that voice belonged to a coach, then that is all on him. If it’s a security guard, this guy could fabricate some kind of story but not a valid one given the many witnesses even if you get kicked out in the end.

Taekwoon pulls you back closer to him and you let him.

It’s something that’s basically ingrained in you and him that lets your hands drift together in such a moment of chaos.

You see the quickly approaching figure almost tearing down the hallway and the bystander closest which was the jerk’s partner reaches down and picks up your hat. You don’t even spare a glance at him as you snatch it away from him when he holds it out to you. There’s no point in seeing any warnings, apologies or pleading for understanding in his eyes. What just happened shouldn’t have gotten this far and he should have done more than just stand there. Turning completely away from the two strangers towards Taekwoon, he glances down at you. Giving him a nod, he straightens out and once again tries to hide you from view just as the older guy walks into your clump of drama. You let his hand go.

“What’s going on here? Why am I hearing about some kind of commotion that isn’t celebratory of our victory?”

“Sir, I-,” the Jerk holds a hand out to you and Taekwoon but he is cut off when the man holds a hand out to him.

He points at the bystander over his shoulder. “You, speak.”

“Things got out of hand here when it shouldn’t, sir.” At least that’s to the point but clearly he doesn’t want to be more specific at the risk of getting him and his friend in trouble. At least he doesn’t try to lie.

“And you Taek?

Before Taekwoon can speak, Jerk’s voice starts out again. “Sir, it’s noth-,” but he is cut off again.

“Taek?”

“Just as Lim said, things escalated too far too fast.”

“They’re fighting over the girl!’ one guy calls out from the growing crowd. You want to groan.

“A girl? Are you guys serious?” the man’s voice is drenched in exasperation. “Can’t you guys at least wait until you get to your goddamn clubs? Why are you bringing personal issues to our stadium directly after out game?”

“We’re sorry, sir,” Taek and the other guy apologize immediately. Jerk’s voice is added in towards the end. All three bow and that’s when you get a clear view of the aged man. His eyes immediately land on you and he doesn’t hide his distaste from you. A small part of you wants to question him for judging you but instead, you drop your head. That wouldn’t be a good idea considering how much authority he has over Taekwoon.

“Something like this better not repeat itself again.” With that, he stalks off as all three bow after him again.

Without any more words, Taekwoon reaches behind him and you let him grab your arm. He gives a nod to both of the players. “See you guys at practice.” Jerk glares while the other guy nods back.

“See you Taek.”

You don’t bother to give a glance to them. Instead, you see the familiar descent of Taekwoon’s hand as it travels down the length of your forearm until it ends at your wrist. His hand loosens for a split second until his whole hand encompasses your limp one. The crowd parts and you both keep your eyes forward walking down the path.

Most people have started talking about the incident immediately. You’re about to dismiss it all when you catch the tail end of one guy’s reaction. “... can’t joke about Taek anymore! He’s got just about everyone beat doesn’t he?!”

It only takes that one before the rest filter in.

“No wonder he’s been so secretive.”

“Can’t judge a blank piece of paper by only one side of it.”

“…definitely had it coming for him. He hasn’t even played in the last three games. This will put him in his place.”

“See ya later Taek!”

“Definitely looking forward to practice, eh Taek?!”

You loudly scoff once you’re both well on your way down the hall away from the ruckus. Judging by Taekwoon’s still rigid back, he’s listening to each barb and retort. This was one part of your past relationship you didn’t like or enjoy. The way other guys took you in from your head down to your feet which is then immediately followed by a compliment directed towards Taekwoon. Especially the ones that did so blatantly right in front of you. Like how you looked was a credit to Taekwoon for being around you or you being with him. You always took it as an insult unless it was actually a genuine joke done by someone particularly close to you or Taekwoon. If I wasn’t then it only put a bad taste in your mouth.

If Taekwoon knew anything about you, then he would understand why you pulled your hand away from his at that moment. If he didn’t…you don’t know.

Crossing your arms once again in your defensive position, you follow him as he hadn’t given any reaction to you disengaging your contact from him. He better understand.

Instead of going back the same way you came in, he takes a turn down a different hallway. There are more of what looks like staff members here walking around talking into their walkie talkies. More than a few stare at Taekwoon and the brave ones congratulate him on the game. You watch him from his back as he nods to these people but doesn’t stop in his steps or even slow down. But with the security guard watching the exit, Taekwoon gives him a high five.

“Good game Taek.”

“Thanks.”

You can appreciate the fact the guard doesn’t even give you a second glance as he holds the door open for the both of you. In appreciation, you smile your thanks at him as you continue to follow after Taekwoon.

There’s a small parking garage outside of the building and the sight makes you a bit confused. What’s even more confusing is Taekwoon leads you directly inside where he has to slide a card down a slot in the door. He holds the door open for you and watches you as you slowly approach.

“You can drive?” you ask without a thought.

He tilts his head to the side as he continues to watch you edge your way closer. He seems to take you in in an entirely different way than the strangers from before. It’s only when he meets your eyes again does he smirk and that immediately sets off a glare from you.

Your hands clench reflexively and you try to hold back when you’re jabbing him in the stomach for his teasing once you’re close enough. He gives a short laugh in response but still with a slight wince. Once you’re inside the doorway, he lets the door close behind you with a resounding thud.

With one last smirk at you, he leads you up the steps to the upper floors and that’s when it hits you that he’s serious and he does know how to drive and he has something to drive. You remember the time the guys argued about who would get their driver’s license first. You had sided with Hyuk at the time when they had asked you for your opinion and you distinctly remember the look of betrayal you got from each of the boys. Taekwoon had been sulky for the rest of that day. Judging by this, if the other guys hadn’t got theirs after high school, then Taekwoon had them beat.

With a bit of a smug air, Taekwoon digs around his duffle bag for his keys as he walked up to a dark blue car. You’re not that surprised by the style of car considering you used to know all about his tastes in just about everything.  Still, this car is very much his style. He finds the keys and the headlights flash with three consecutives beeps.

You make a face at him over the hood as you walk up to the passenger side since he’s waiting for your reaction at the driver’s side door. Your reaction must be one he wasn’t expecting as he looks at you a bit confused but shakes his head as he walks towards the trunk and with a press of a button, it opens. He throws his duffle inside just as you settle into your seat and pull the door closed.

Taking in the interior, you see no details of personal touches which was rather surprising. You would think he might at least have something of Hyunwoo’s making inside somewhere visible. You knew it was in here somewhere but you weren’t about to be nosy and go snooping around. Instead, you drop your hands on your lap before remembering to buckle yourself in. That’s when Taekwoon opens the door and slips inside.

He’s not hiding his staring as you settle down once more in your seat. With another shake of his head, he powers on the car while strapping himself in.

It’s as he drives down the ramps to get to the ground floor for the exit does it hit you. You hold in your gasp as you take him fully in next to you. Now you understand why he was shaking his head. He probably doesn’t believe just what’s happening right now. And he should feel that way.

You blame your late reaction on the events of the day’s content. When you decided in coming here, you just wanted to test yourself in being in Taekwoon’s environment once again on your own completely by yourself. You didn’t think or even consider you being discovered in this experiment of sorts. But then again, you did have your chance for escape outside the impromptu fan meeting thing. You could have easily slipped away then and panic whether Taekwoon had really seen you or not until you two would be forced to meet again at the next group outing.

But here you were in this car that maybe wasn’t his. After all, he’s still a rookie and you weren’t sure if he really would buy a car of his own. You didn’t know him that well to be a hundred percent sure and so you left yourself a margin of error.

Your phone vibrates in your pocket. Pulling it out, you’re not surprised to see Nunji’s name. You think nothing of it as you answer the call. “What?”

“Can you watch Mieun this weekend? When were you going down to Busan again? Wasn’t it next weekend? Or this weekend? Well? Are you going to answer me or not?” She fires each question one after the other while becoming more and more demanding until she starts sounding accusing.

You wait until she takes a breath before you cut in while feeling a bit amused that neither of you even greeted the other.  “I can. We’re leaving next weekend.”

“Good. Hwangin wants to visit his side of the family to break the news in person this weekend and we’re taking mom. Mieun was given the choice of staying with you or going with us.” She’s sounding more than a little petulant at the end of her words while you sit straighter in your seat.

“Really?” you make sure your tone conveys your feelings properly. Smug victory and haughtiness.

She scoffs. “Don’t think so highly of yourself baby sister! Just because my daughter made this one decision for this one weekend doesn’t mean anything! You hear me?!”

You snort in reply. “Of course, Mieun’s second place mom.”

With Nunji growling a few choice words now, you move the phone away from your ear and you can’t hide your amusement or your glee even as she threatens you. That’s when Taekwoon catches your eye and you feel the douse of reality like a bucket of water upturned over your head. Once again, you feel the situation slap you.

You fumble with your phone rather uncharacteristically and accidentally put Nunji on speaker. “…like the last time you tripped in front of everyone at Mieun’s second birthday party! Just wait until your boys hear about how Hwangin’s friend caught you and swept you off your feet!”

Taekwoon marginally swerves on the road. You glare down at the phone as you shut off speaker mode. “Nunji!”

“What? You think I won’t? I’m sure mom or dad has the pictures to prove it!” Even though it hurts your ears, you press the phone close to your ears while thumbing the volume down to its lowest setting. “I know your boys probably want an update on what’s been going on with you in their absence along with all of your conquests!” With the way you were pressing your phone deep into your cheek, the speaker goes on again and the last bit fills the space within the car.

Giving up, you drop your phone to your lap. There was no point in trying to hide it anyway since she’ll most definitely follow through on her threats at some point in the future. Taekwoon is more than distracted and you glumly glare out the passenger window as Nunji continues on her tirade of all the incriminating events that she could dish out to your re-established friends.

“Nunji?”

Your head whips back to him in shock. Did he just-

“…and especially when…wait. Who is that?”

With no other prompt, you slap his arm as hard as you can. “Ow!”

“Mikyung? Who is that?!”

“What are you doing?” you demand as you glare at him.

“What? I’m just-.” He stops when you hit him again.

“Don’t!” you warn him.

“CHOI MIKYUNG! WHO! IS! THAT??!”

In your assault, your phone drops down to the car floor. You reach down to grab it and when you do, you fully intend to end the call. Something you should have done at the very beginning. Or even better than that was having never answered her call in the first place.

“Bye Nunji!” Taekwoon actually shouts and he even has the audacity to look proud of himself.

You hit his arm again and fumble the phone again.

“No!” she gasps. “Don’t tell me! IS THAT TAEKWOON!”

“Bye Nunji,” you say before ending the call once you have your phone in your hands again. Your phone is already lighting up with another call from her just as you’re about to power your phone off.

You let out the breath as you gaze down at it deliriously thinking that by just Nunji’s living force, it will come back on. When it doesn’t, you slowly look over to the instigator. He’s looking much too cocky for how dire he’s made things for you and you hit him again.

“What?” he even dares to laugh!

“Why did you do that?” you hit him after every syllable.

You have enough awareness to notice he’s long since pulled the car to a stop but that doesn’t stop you from hitting him wherever you can reach.

He’s outright laughing at you the whole time. “What’s wrong?” he’s teasing you now.

“Why? Taekwoon? Why?” you whine at him.

“You left it on speaker.” He shrugs and that deserves a hit.

“You know!” you accuse him. “You know what she’s going to do to me now!”

He only nods and that makes you groan. You place your head in your hands in anguish.

What he just did…there was no going back. You knew exactly what it implied even if he doesn’t or if he’s pretending he doesn’t. Because you didn’t answer Nunji’s calls just whenever. More cases enough that you just let her phone calls go to voicemail especially when you’re not by yourself. You don’t answer her calls in public much less in front of someone that’s not at least Jimri. You knew exactly how your sister can be. She can easily rile you up over the smallest things and there was no way you would ever let something like that happen in front of just anyone. It’s why you actually felt shocked when you realized you had done so anyway in front of Taekwoon without a thought.

You’re still reeling from that fact.

It’s when you’re calming down when you feel the weight on your head. He’s actually patting your head. Mindlessly, you hit his hand away without lifting your head.

He chuckles.

“Mmmmn!” you let out the whine again while hitting your seat.

“Mikyung.”

“No.” You grumble.

“Mikyung.”

“No.”

“Mikyung.” There’s the sound of him opening his door.

“No.”

He sighs as he closes the door. Lifting your head, you reach over and lock the door. When he tries to open your door a moment later you look through the window to see his surprise. But he’s actually smart enough to use his car remote to unlock it. You’re tempted to lock it again every time he does that but you’re suddenly feeling tired.

He opens your door and you cross your arms while looking away.

“Mikyung.”

“Tell me why first.”

He sighs. “Mikyung.”

“Tell me.”

“Because.”

“Why?”

“I felt like it.” The way he says that makes you glare at him and he smirks in your face. Directly in your face because he’s kind of squatting down so you’re both eye level. You look beyond him to see that you’re in a parking spot by a parking meter.

Knowing you’re acting like a baby, you push him away so that you have enough room to get out. At his deep chuckle, you can’t help but glare at him. He’s still in a good mood as he pays the parking meter and he’s just about to lead you away from there when he stops and freezes. Curiously, you look at where he’s looking only to see a couple walking down the sidewalk towards you two.

Not understanding, you place a hand on his arm before he turns around quickly with a hand on his face. He makes his way to the trunk and with a click, he’s jerking the top up and digging around in his duffle bag.

By now, the couple have long since walked past and you’re still wondering what’s his deal when he closes the trunk.

He now has his mask and cap on. You roll your eyes and that makes him glare at you when he catches you. All you do in retaliation is glare back and that’s when he starts walking again. You follow after him a couple steps back and it’s not until you’re both in front of a small bbq restaurant that you comprehend once again too late of what’s happening. The last time you two were alone like this was when Suho sprung Taekwoon at you the first time. After you two stayed in that café until it was closing. Since then, it’s been about three, almost four months since then.

You’re more than a bit surprised when that fact settles in. Has it been that long?

Taekwoon finds a seat in the eating establishment and you almost self-consciously take a seat across from him. He doesn’t notice as he looks over at the menu set in the wall above you. He purposely chose the seat that had his back towards everyone just like the past few times you’ve spent in his company with everyone else. Unfortunately for you, that means you’re the one who gets more than a few glances from a few patrons seated around you and you do your best to disregard them.

The auntie working as a waitress pops up next to your table. “Hello customers. Would you like to start off with anything or do you want to hold off on ordering?” she asks as she places two cups down in between you and Taekwoon and filling both up with water. She looks between you two and that’s when you realize you’re the one that has to order. When you get together with the group or even with just N and Ken, you’ve gotten used to them ordering for you. And it seems that Taekwoon is reluctant to draw any attention to himself right now.

Lightly clearing your throat, you shake your head while answering. “If you can give us a few more minutes to decide.”

She doesn’t spare either of you much attention as she nods. “I’ll come back in a few.” She walks off.

There’s a light tap to your feet under the table and that makes you scowl. “What?” you demand.

“Order the galbi.”

“No. I want sangyeopsal.”

“Okay.”

You’re about to snort with how easily he gave in to you but decide that would draw unwanted attention to you.

“Um, excuse me?”

Or not. Lazily, you look at the guy seated a few meters from you and Taekwoon. Once he has your attention, he looks at the other guy seated next to him almost triumphantly. That automatically has you frowning. “What?” you ask unswervingly. Taekwoon taps your foot again.

He and his friend are surprised at your tone and they share a look with each other. “Did you and your friend want to join our table?” he points down with the tongs in his hands towards the ready cooked meat on his grill.

“No.” You decide to be direct as Taekwoon snuffles a snicker across from you.

Your answer flusters both men. “Ah, really? Then okay.” They turn away from you.

You glare at Taekwoon who’s once again looking smugger than he should be. “What?” you demand.

He shrugs and you refrain from kicking him. For all you knew there was some penalty or clause in his profession towards anyone that harms their player. Instead, you decide to ignore him and you succeed as he continues to stare at you across the table. You’ve since mastered ignoring him whenever he got like this a long time ago and so deliberately look elsewhere for some form of entertainment while being careful not to meet anyone’s eyes.

When the waitress arrives once more, arms full of a big tray containing all of the side dishes, you order both your and his choices of meat. She nods while looking down expectantly at Taekwoon almost in suspicion. “And did you want to order any soju to go along with your meat?”

Taekwoon must have suspected she was questioning him because he looks up at her and shakes his head. “Not for me. I’m the driver.”

She raises an eyebrow at you and you feel put on the spot because you can feel his eyes on you anticipating your answer for more than one reason. Finally after a short few seconds you shake your head too. You’re sure it would be pushing it if you got buzzed now in his presence. Taekwoon taps your hand and that’s his way of letting you know you can order some if you want. He’ll take care of you.

“No, thank you,” you smile up at the older woman and she shrugs.

“Rice okay with you both? No stews?”

“Bean sprout please,” Taekwoon hasn’t removed his eyes from assessing you.

Once again, you shake your head addressed to both of their questions.

When she’s gone, you finally meet his eyes. “Why?” he asks.

Your eyes narrow. “You know why.”

Even behind his mask, you can tell he’s frowning. “I know.”

Nodding at his understanding, you sit back fully in your chair. This whole time you’ve been sitting on the edge of your seat with your instincts on the border of flight mode at the slightest sight of trouble. Judging based off of what he just admitted, you can see that you can deal with him.

It’s the familiar silence that joins you two at your table. There’s not much to observe within the confines of this building but you both do try. When she arrives, the older woman makes a remark regarding the awkwardness between you two. From a third person’s point of view, you can see the way she would see things. She then makes the comment of it being a blind date and offers topics for both of you to discuss.

He’s there for you when you spare a glance at him. When he’s not looking at you in that contained disbelief you both share, he’s either glancing at his phone or he’s observing the wall over your head. When the lady brings the trays of meat, Taekwoon takes the tongs from her. He’s long since the grill and it’s now steaming indicating the heat. Because of this, you’ve long since taken off your hat. There’s no point in you getting sweaty in front of him and everyone here.

Now, the woman freely makes comments and asks after you both about your progress. Taekwoon is actually the better one of you both at making small talk and you let him take the reins on it. She asks how you met and on what number of dates you two are on. You try not to take an interest in his answers but he doesn’t slip once and plays each intruding question off smoothly.

Just to mess with him, after he makes the remark that you two are past acquaintances meeting to catch up, you give him an offended look. He’s confused but when you make pointed eye contact with the waitress, a female message is transmitted. This causes her to give you a nod before she glares at Taekwoon who is more than perplexed now.

“It’s not nice to play a girl’s feelings like that young man.”

Even though it’s not visible, his mouth drops open. You know the reaction because it’s so rare that you can identify it just by past memorization. He looks between her offended and almost disappointed glance to your hidden smirk. When he catches on to your ploy, he does try his best to hide his accusing look.

This is when the older woman shakes her head at him. “It seems you genuinely don’t know but from what I can observe,” here she leans down to him and whispers something. His eyes widen in shock when he looks up at her and she gives him a pat on the shoulder.

It’s your turn to become confused at the sudden turn of events.

When she makes her exit, Taekwoon looks at you like it’s the first time he sees you and that puts you even more off kilter.

When you can’t take it anymore, you lean forward. “What?”

His eyes have at least gone back to their normal size. “She said-,” he stops and his eyes narrow on yours while you wait for him to continue. “Never mind.”

That makes you frown but you decide to back off. Reaching over, you take the tongs away from him. That catches him off guard as you start to place the meat on the grill. It’s when the grill has a good amount of meat cooking that you place the tongs down and he reclaims them. This part of the cooking process is done once more without a word from either of you.

He places your meat on your plate and he’s almost cautious about it. No, that’s not the right description. He’s just putting so much care into it. He does the cutting for you and although you since suspected that he would be doing this for you, it’s the way he’s going about it that still catches you off guard. You don’t think it’s a good idea to question this.

Whatever the waitress told him, it’s having a clear effect on him. There’s a part of you wanting to sate your curiosity but there’s the other part of you that’s cautioning you against it. It involves you and he’s seemed to have some kind of revelation to it.

It doesn’t work when you try to let it go. It’s nagging in the back of your mind.

As you eat, you keep your eyes on your food with you never seeing the bottom of your plate the entire time. The mood at your table’s changed since she said whatever to Taekwoon and you’re still not sure how to handle it or if should even be dealt with. When all the meat is gone, he clears his throat and you’re hesitant to meet his gaze now but you still push through and look at him.

“More?”

You shake your head and by the wary glint in his eyes, he’s aware of it as well. He is trying to conceal it, but you can still see it. He’s not as firm in his speaking as he was since the start of whatever this is between you as early as the waiting room and the hallway fiasco.

He stands to take care of the cost of the meal and you can only watch him go. Taking a sip of your water, a throat is cleared. Tiredly, you meet the strange woman’s eyes.

She’s smiling politely at you. “I’m sorry but are you on Instagram?”

You don’t hide your frown. “No.”

“Aw, I thought you were one of the girls I follow on Instagram,” she whines. “I thought for sure you were her.”

“I’m not.” You say as plain as can be.

Her and her friend share a look. “But can I take a picture with you? Just in case?”

Still frowning, you shake your head. “No.”

This time her eyes narrow as she lets out a huff. “Why not?”

“I don’t like having my picture taken.”

“What? With a face like yours?” her friend asks scandalized.

She’s a bit taken aback by your direct answers, they both are. Any other time, or if she had approached you before, you may have played a bit nicer. But as it stands between you and Taekwoon with this…this thing in the way, you were not in the mood to bother being too polite. And you’re petty enough to take it out on them.

And as a result, you feel yourself getting worked up. “Especially because of that.”

Once again, your answer to them is unexpected but they’re quick to recover as they look at one another. “Can you believe this?” one asks the other in disbelief.

The girl doesn’t answer her friend as she’s not bothering being polite either. “Do you even know what we would do with your looks?”

“No and I don’t want to know.”

“Mikyung.” Taekwoon chooses that moment to intervene. You’re undecided whether you should be glad for that. As annoying as this conversation was becoming at least you were clear on your feelings on it. It was familiar ground to work up girls like them and become irritated by them.

“Ha! You say you don’t care but I bet you used your looks to get him.”

You roll your eyes where they can clearly see it as you get up while grabbing your hat and putting it on. That gets to them and that’s when the waitress makes her appearance.

“What’s going on here?” she asks demandingly.

“We’re leaving,” Taekwoon assures her and you feel him grab your wrist and he pulls you closer to him with it. Even the way he’s holding onto you feels different. And that brings you back to the situation.

Feeling complacent now for allowing whatever it is between you and Taekwoon to affect you to this extent, you bow to the woman. “I apologize for my part in the situation.”

The two girls are confused but bow and mumble their apologies. Slowly, the waitress places the familiar tray laden with fresh side dishes on their table. “Fine.”

At the dismissal, Taekwoon makes good on his words and pulls you out of there. Once you’re out the doors, you pull your wrist from him.

“Should I know?” he asks after a moment of you two just standing there.

You take a breath in and shake your head.

He shrugs and lets it go. He leads you down the street. “Dessert?” he asks over his shoulder.

You have no choice but to speak. “No.”

That makes him stop and turn back to you. “Then what?”

His question makes you frown. “What do you mean?” you ask.

“What now?” You remain silent and he reads your confusion easily. “What do you want to do now?” he asks patiently. There’s even a softer way he pronounces his words to you not to mention the rather fond way he’s gazing at you.

That’s when you slowly get it. Were you two really going to spend more time together? You had made the assumption that it would just be a meal and then that would be it. Now this just gave you more to think about later. Just what was going on?

“Or not?” he asks. There’s an undertone of imperceptible disappointment layering his words.

You don’t want to let him feel that way. That’s your first reaction to his words. You fight back the uncertainty of your current predicament. “Something.” You decide to let him make up the decision for you both.

~~~~~

She took a step. She‘s the one that took that first step towards him.

Leo is happy.

He’s surprised, astounded, flabbergasted, stunned, astonished, incredulous but above all, he’s happy.

She watched him play. Again. On her own. By herself.

With each fact, not dreams or fantasies, that happened, really happened, Leo fights for composure. He can’t fulfill it wholly because of the way his body is thrumming. He’s just twitching to do something. It’s in this moment that he selfishly wants to remain alone to savor it but also be with his friends to share this happy feeling.

He laughs quietly to himself in his seated position on his bed in his dorm. Lifting his head from the resting place of his palms, he glances around the room. It’s only now that he looks at the bare walls that he realizes how empty it looks. Sure he’s got pictures of his family, friends and past teams here and there but no real decorations beyond that. The only thing close enough was a drawing Hyunwoo made of the both of them on a field with a huge soccer ball behind them. His mother and Jihee did try to spruce up the room but he refused to buy any of the things they wanted for the job.

It’s only now, after the afternoon and evening he spent with Mikyung that he realizes he doesn’t want to wake up like this anymore. In this sparse room.

He grabs his phone from where he had dropped it on his nightstand. Powering it on after refusing calls the whole time he was with her, Leo isn’t surprised to see the amounting number of attempts to reach him.

Ignoring that for now as he goes down the list of contacts, he sees N’s number but right above that is hers.

He wants to see her again. To hear her voice and feel her presence once more. Without any more thought, he calls her.

When the ringing stops, there is that anticipation with bated breath that he will hear her voice.

 “Hello?” It’s Suho’s voice that answers.

 


Take care of yourself and your loved ones.

P.S. This is probably my longest chapter ever out of all of my writings... I think.