Chapter 20

Not You...

It was not a mistake. You were confident in that otherwise it would become a mistake later on. And you didn’t want that to happen. So by that reasoning alone, it’s not a mistake. With that mindset in mind, you do a last minute onceover of your outfit in the bathroom mirror where you had been preparing not only your appearance but also your mentality for the upcoming event.

You struggle with the skirt you’re in. Not because of the length of the skirt itself because it was at an appropriate length but because of the frills layering it. And the glitter. The style was much too girly and feminine for your taste. Despite the skirt’s misgivings, your fate had been sealed when Mieun had seen you in it after your mother and Nunji’s combined threats to get you in it in the first place. You had tried hiding behind the clothes rack next to the changing rooms but the saleswoman was resilient and much too pushy for a deal to get your family out of her store and had all but shoved you out in the open. Mieun’s eyes had sparkled in that way of hers for you to voluntarily cave in. The one thing that was unexpected was that Nunji did not like the skirt. Everyone in your family knew that Mieun was spoiled rotten and had supreme order in your household and so, Nunji sought to change Mieun’s mind with whatever means thought necessary and boy did Nunji try.

Given that you were wearing it now, suffice to say Mieun had the last say in all matters related to what you would be wearing to her birthday party. A part of you was proud that she had won over her mother but there was also a fighting part that tried to forewarn you of the danger your family would ultimately be in given the fact that your three year old niece just won against her twenty six-year old mother.

You brushed it off because of course Mieun was going to have a certain number of Nunji’s attributes and there would be nothing stopping her from being even more so of a firecracker. The stones were set in her genes. It would only be wishful thinking to think otherwise.

You turn away from your reflection and open the door only for your heart to melt at the surprise outside of the bathroom in the hallway. There stood Mieun with her hair styled for the special occasion in a very becoming outfit suited for the special birthday girl.

“Pretty,” she murmurs up at you. It’s when you detect that familiar sparkle in her eyes that makes you a bit more assured to wear something outside of your comfort zone. Leaning down so you were face level with her, you poke her belly.

“No, Mieun is the one who is pretty.”

She shakes her head in denial. Her curls flit around her head in response to the action and there is nothing holding back your smile. “No. Not Mieun. Auntie.”

Contemplating her words seriously, you playfully shake your head as strenuous as her. “No. Mieun is pretty.”

She takes her hands and grabs your head to stop it moving and urges you to look at her. She’s doing that adorable glare. “Auntie is pretty.”

Returning the expression with one of your own milder glares, you put a show of breaking expression that and then you sigh. “Fine.” Now that you’ve agreed with her words she’s about to let your head go but you halt her movements by securing your own hands on the side of her face where you won’t disturb her carefully crafted hairdo. “But,” she pouts up at you and you lean in to kiss her cheek, “only if Mieun is beautiful.”

She eyes you as she contemplates your words before she gives a self-assured nod. “Fine.”

“Hmph,” Nunji huffs as she walks by you two to get to the bathroom, “Teaching my daughter how to negotiate with her looks? Such a Mikyung thing to do.”

Standing up, you roll your eyes but only when your face is out of sight from Mieun. No need for her to pick up on that habit and for Nunji to give you hell for that slip. “Yeah, yeah.”

Nunji leaves the bathroom after grabbing her can of hairspray and you lean down again so as to hold Mieun down and prevent her from running away but Nunji waves you off. “She knows what to do now. Watch.” Nunji marches right up to her daughter and Mieun looks up at her mother. “Mieun.”

Immediately, Mieun takes in the situation and nods. She covers her eyes as she moves closer to her mom but not before she bumps into the wall with her eyes covered. When her daughter is close enough, that is Nunji’s cue to go ham on the hairspray.

You wave away the tendrils of the spray that escaped Nunji’s aim drifting toward you. And that is Nunji’s second cue to direct that weapon of hers at you without any break. Unlike your niece, you never learned to accept this torture and so you try to fight off the almost putrid smell of the new hairspray Nunji favored that you never liked and had been well away from since you moved into your apartment.

“Mieun!” Nunji yelled and you were surprised when you felt the little soft hands of Mieun hug you around your waist as high as she could reach. You let out a gasp of shock and that brief moment of astonishment was enough for you to stop your struggling. “Mwa hahaha!” Nunji cackled. “Got you with your weakness!”

Not wanting to thrash away with the risk of you pushing your niece, Nunji had you trapped. You were much too agitated to bask in your niece’s hug as the flecks of betrayal formed but not from Nunji as that was a common feeling to have with her but Mieun? You shook your head at Nunji almost in disappointment. You didn’t think your sister would ever stoop so low.

Nunji, the role model of your life, stuck her tongue out at you in retaliation. “That’s what you get for acting like a baby when I get this out.” She waved the can of hairspray at you as if taunting you with her victory.

“Pretty,” Mieun cut in what was about to be a heated interaction between you and your sister. The baby plucked one layer of the frilly fabric layer of your skirt and pressed it against her eyes. “Auntie can’t find me!”

At the mention of your skirt, Nunji turned up her nose in a prissy manner. “It’s not that pretty.” She turned her back on you two and walked back to the bathroom. Seeing the danger of such a retreat for more ammo in her cosmetic arsenal, you picked up your niece for a quick exit.

“Let’s go Mieun,” you couldn’t help but smile as she squealed at the suddenness of you snatching her up. It was a bit difficult to hold the squirming baby with her thinking it was a game of catch and hide but you did your best to secure your grasp on her.

“Don’t wrinkle her dress!” Nunji yelled as you got to the middle of the staircase.

Taking her words of warning in hand, you adjusted your grip. Once you set her down in the living room, she ran off. “Can’t catch me Auntie!”

You debated the lighthearted challenge before deciding to give half an effort. You didn’t want to rile her up too much or else her energy may be drained before the party even started. The chase led to the kitchen where she always goes to her favorite hiding spot, behind her grandma.

Mieun giggled as she peeked at you within your view before she ducked behind her grandma again. You and your mother shared a look for the some hundredth time. For long as Mieun could walk stably, she always toddled to her grandma’s legs where there was always a favorable and enthusiastic response that could always be found and secured.

Deciding to let Mieun cool off should you ‘find’ her, you walked out of the kitchen and almost run into Hwangin. He grinned at you and asked, “Where’s my princess?”

At his voice, Mieun’s ears perk and she jumps out of her hiding spot. “Here!” she almost trips running to her dad with the skirt of her dress weighing her down.

As sweet as the sight was for Hwangin was a very doting father, it could get nauseating sometimes.

Slipping away, you go back to the living room. Trying to recline on the new couch was a challenge simply because of the leather. You didn’t know what was going on in your mom’s mind when she chose this living room set but you blamed Nunji for not being there during the furniture shopping to talk her out of it. It’s as you are adjusting where you should put your weight so the back of your thighs don’t have direct contact with the leather that Nunji comes down the stairs. You lean away from her when she walks up behind you. You and her hold gazes until you’re both glaring at one another, sizing each other up after the hairspray.

Nunji shrugs as she tosses you something. “Better take care of those and give them back to me after.” With a toss of her head, she walks into the kitchen where more disgusting acts of love is going on.

When a minute passes by without her coming back, you look down at what she threw on the couch beside you. It was jewelry. Deciding that it could definitely be worst, you pin in the dangly earrings. There’s also a necklace that you never even knew she had. It was a bit of a struggle securing the clasp since it wasn’t in your habit to wear jewelry in the first place. After everything is on, you resume your struggle to get into a comfortable position when the front door is opened. Knowing it was your dad, you give up on the couch and go out to meet him.

And with him is your maternal grandmother. That would explain the look of pain on your father’s normally stern face. You do your best to muster a believable smile at the elderly woman. “Hello Grandma. I hope you are well,” you lower your head.

“Yes, yes, I’m still alive. Now where is my great-granddaughter? You said she would be here and not at the venue,” she growls at your dad.

Taking pity on your dad, you reach out for her arm and take it in yours. “Mieun is in the kitchen with Nunji and Hwangin.”

It’s out of your grandma’s earshot that you hear the sigh of relief emitting from you dad. His exasperation with your grandma was something commonly accepted in your family. Just about everyone in the entire family could sympathize with him given she had not lost that spunk even as she aged.

Once in the kitchen, that cranky persona dissipates and all that is left is a doting grandmother especially when Mieun wiggles out of her dad’s arms and launches herself at the woman. “Ma!”

You’re about to slink away when Nunji grabs your arms. Peering closely at your neck, you’re just going to remove yourself from the grasp but she lets go. “It doesn’t match.”

At first, her words don’t compute but then you remember the jewelry she gave you. You’re about to just shrug it off but she’s already walking out of the kitchen. “I’ll give you something better,” she warns you.

Sighing, you reach behind you to unclasp the necklace but rough fingers do it for you. “Here Mikyung,” your dad drops the piece of jewelry in your surprised hands. You hadn’t even heard him enter the room behind you. Giving him a nod of thanks he nods back.

Leaving the kitchen was an easy decision to make otherwise your grandmother would look around for the next target and you didn’t want to be on the receiving end of another whirlwind of disparaging comments on why you were not yet married.

Outside in the hallway, you almost bump into your older sister. She holds out her hand and plucks out the necklace from your grasp before depositing another in it. “Don’t lose this one. I only have one of these.”

Nodding, you edge past her to go back to the living room but change routes when you realize she gave you a small black choker with a pendant. Your shoulders dropped because you did not like the way it resembled a pet collar. You’re about to forgo it but decide it wasn’t going to be worth the disagreement. With your grandmother here, it was best to conserve your energy. It was a bigger hassle to get the clasp to work given you didn’t have much leeway like you did with the longer necklace from before but you get it in the end.

“It’s time!” your dad calls out as he leaves the kitchen and goes into the living room. “People are probably arriving at the venue now!”

Your mother follows him and she spots you. Waving you over, she smiles. “Aw, you look pretty today, Mikyungie.” Wrinkling your nose at her, she laughs. “And Mieun sure has nice taste. I am sure Nunji is proud.”

You huff but let her take your hand. She reaches to smooth down your hair but Nunji’s voice stops her. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you, mom. I got some hairspray on that stubborn head.”

Your dad grumbles beside you two, “I can smell it.”

Not taking any comfort in his words, you want to grumble a few choice words but settle for a petulant glare. Hwangin escorts your grandmother to where everyone was gathered. “I thought we were leaving?”

“Let’s go!” Mieun seconds. She starts pulling Nunji to the door. “Let’s go!”

You and your parents allow Hwangin and your grandmother to follow the mother and daughter before shadowing them. Unlike her first birthday, Nunji did not go all out and order a limo. Instead, Hwangin’s SUV was the alternative that was just big enough for you and your family to fit. You don’t think much of sitting in the very back especially with Mieun’s car seat beside your seat but it was a bit of a challenge to get there with a skirt. You still manage and when you’re handed the birthday girl, you realize you forgot your phone.

“Mikyung, hurry and buckle her in.” The vehicle is as Hwangin settles in his usual seat as the driver. Nunji slips in after your mother who seems content in between her oldest daughter and husband.

You follow the order robotically even when Mieun bounces in her seat with clear excitement. She’s beaming at you and you forget about your phone predicament and smile back. Her eyes drop to your neck and she points at the choker. “Ooh, puppy!”

You groan and are reaching to take the necklace off but a searing glare from Nunji as she whips around in her seat is enough for your hands to retreat. Her face transforms to a smile as she looks at her daughter. “No Mieun. If anything, your auntie is a little kitty cat.”

“Tch,” you scoff.

“Now, now girls,” your dad doesn’t bother to turn in order to address you both. “Today is all about my granddaughter. If she says Mikyung is a puppy, then Mikyung is a puppy.”

“Puppy!”

You try not to be affronted because your dad was still a fool for his only grandchild but still. He was your dad.

“No, I would agree with Nunji,” you know your mother is smiling even if she doesn’t turn around for you to check. “I think Mikyung is more of a kitten.”

“Hmph,” your dad grunts now that he is caught between his wife and his granddaughter.

“Hwangin!” your sister barks. “Which one does Mikyung resemble, a kitten or a puppy?”

With everyone focused on him, your brother-in-law smiles. “I think she’s more of a bunny though?” It was just like him to deflect from the true question.

Crossing your arms, you peer out the window. Surprise colors your face at how far Hwangin has driven away from your parent’s house.

“Well,” your grandmother declares, “I believe my granddaughter resembles me when I was her age.”

A smile still slips past your defenses because your grandmother could be vain and if she says you’re like her then it was as close to a compliment you would get from her.

“Even if she’s a bit too tall, she gets her beauty from me no matter what my son-in-law’s mother says.”

You amusement starts to mount at that. There was a reason your family actually alternates between both of your grandmothers and try to separate them as much was acceptable.

“Of course, mother,” your mom intones. “There is no denying the resemblance between your photos and Mikyung. We are only trying to decide what kind of animal Mieun resembles.”

“My granddaughter is not an animal. If anything, she’s a flower.”

With this decided, Hwangin parks his vehicle in a parking garage. “Here we are. The valet said that only one other car checked in for validation parking for our event.”

“One car?” your sister asks as she opens the door first. You’re still feeling high off of your grandma’s comments and you wanted to bask in it for a little while before you were dropped back on Earth. You and Mieun share smiles as you start to unbuckle her.

As soon as she’s free, your niece stretches her arms and back. A habit she’s practiced for as long as she’s used a car seat for. Unbuckling yourself, you grab her and heft her over the middle seats to your dad as your mother slips out after your sister. Mieun giggles as her grandfather lifts her into his arms. He closes the door and you once again maneuver yourself out of the very back of the vehicle.

Once you get over the first obstacle, you’re about to scoot out when you take notice of the car that’s parked next to you. It was your dad’s sister’s car. And if she was there, then…your paternal grandma was also here.

Hwangin is once again your maternal grandma’s to the elevator where your family was heading. Closing the door, you make to follow them.

Inside the elevator on its ascension to the main part of the building, you assess everyone for any reaction to your discovery. It seems only your mother and Nunji are the ones who noticed.

Mieun leads the charge when the elevators open to reveal the hallway after descending from your father’s arms.

“This way?” she asks her parents. Nunji nods and Mieun darts off. She keeps stopping to make sure she’s going the right way and in the end she holds Nunji’s hand so she can lead.

Once inside the designated area for the party, you take in the abundance of shiny decorations all depicting flowers and butterflies of all kinds scattered amongst the room. It was certainly a sight to behold. There were a few last minute things to do like distribute the centerpieces at the number of tables spread across the room. Just before entering, there was an easel that settles the matter of seating much like formal events that go beyond a three year old’s birthday party but it was necessary given the family drama between some relatives. Like between your maternal and paternal grandmother.

As was polite dictation, you greet the woman whom you have not seen since Mieun’s last birthday party. Rather a drastic amount of time regarding a close family member but they do live near Busan.

“My, my,” your grandmother smiles up at you from her seat. “If it isn’t my son’s youngest. How is school?” she asks.

“School is going smoothly,” you say with conservative confidence. Like her son, your grandmother was just as stern and looked down on meekness.

Your aunt beside her quietly takes in you from the top of your head to your shoes. “You’ve gotten skinnier.”

With a blink, you smile at her before Nunji drifts over to offer her own manners. “Hello Grandmother, Auntie. How was the ride here? Was your hotel fine?”

They both do the same to Nunji, that scrutinizing gaze of appraisal. “Everything was to our liking. Be sure to thank your husband for providing the accommodations.” Your grandmother smiles.

“Although it is a pity that we can’t stay another night.” Your aunt none too discreetly adds.

“So what? So you can mooch off my son-in-law more?” your dad makes his presence known in his usual gruff manner. In an instant, both his mother and sister stiffen and their expressions sour from their mask of affection.

Your aunt crosses her arms. “If not him, then you should give our mother more time to appreciate the sights.”

“I already said she could stay at our home if she wants. Only that we don’t have enough room for you,” your dad snaps back.

Nunji leans close to you. “You should offer your apartment.” She smirks when you glare at her.

“And what? Are you going to take her back home on your own?” your aunt fires back to your father.

At this moment, your mom edges closer as soon as her own mother is seated at her designated table on the other side of the room. She doesn’t leave the woman alone as Hwangin and Mieun stay with her. “Well, hello mother and sister! I see you’ve arrived safely. I hope that your travels were not too much tasking.” Both women give much friendlier smiles to her.

“Soojin,” the elder woman makes to stand and your father is the one that helps her get to her feet. “Let me give you a hug. It has been much too long.”

“Of course, mother,” it was hard for anyone to hold any form of unpleasant feelings toward your mother. Even your Aunt stood up. “I do apologize you’ve arrived before us.”

Knowing what was about to come, you move to go attend your other grandmother. “Now where is my great-granddaughter? I hear her beauty is one that’s going to continue my family’s legacy.”

Nunji answers. “She’s with her father. Mikyung will get them.”

As soon as you get there, Hwangin is picking up Mieun. “Our turn?” he asks you. At your nod, he excuses himself from your maternal grandma. Taking a seat beside her, you don’t have to wait long before Mieun’s giggles fill the room and there is much more cooing.

“Is my son-in-law’s mother well?” your grandma asks.

“She is,” you answer.

“Hn.”

Knowing that was the extent she would make inquiries about the matter, you eye the centerpieces across your table alongside the walls that you had to allocate. “Would you like to pick the first centerpiece for your table, grandma?”

Blinking at you, she takes in the number of centerpieces. “I want the one with the most flowers.” She answers after a moment.

Assenting, you get up and start to look through them all for the one she would want. Finding the most ostentatious one, you hold it out for her critique. You’re a bit surprised when she nods at your first selection. “Make sure you give the one with the least flowers to your other grandmother.”

Turning around, you try not to find any amusement in her words but it is difficult not to. Taking to your task, you start the process of giving each table a bit more spruce. It’s not too soon that more guests arrive and the gift table near the entrance is soon piled high with highly decorative packages. It’s also when the catering staff is underway with the appetizers with the male servers learning their lesson to stay well away from your maternal grandmother's table.

That’s when you hear your name being called. Turning your head, you catch sight of Jimri and Yoohyuk near the entrance. Smiling, you walk over.

“Hey Mikyung,” Yoohyuk greets you first when you’re close enough. You nod back.

Jimri grabs your hands and takes a step back to take in your outfit. “Hm, it’s not as bad as you made it out to be,” she accuses you lightly. You make a noise of dissent. “I’m guessing Mieun is still in her princess phase, right?”

You sigh before nodding and your friend smiles brightly. “Great. I hope she’ll like the gift we chose for her.”

You lead them to the table that you would be sharing with them. You had two seats for the day actually. One at this table and the other was at the main family table at the front of the room. Unfortunately for you, it would be at the latter table that you would have to spend the first part of the party at. Choosing to steal a few minutes with Jimri, you take a seat but that’s when you hear your name again.

Standing up, you see your other guests. N and Ken. You go to welcome them but Hwangin beats you there. A little surprised but with anticipation sprinkled in, you walk closer.

“…good to see old familiar faces. I take it the bases are as good as they were a few years ago?”

N nods. “It’s something that took some getting used to but once you’re in, you learn how things are.”

Hwangin nods at you. “I’m sure whatever words of advice a general’s daughter slips was helpful.” The other two men turn to you.

Ken smirks. “Ah, yes of course. Mikyungie was very informative like she always is.”

They share a chuckle over that as you glare. A memory of the boys pestering you about life on a base after a surprise schoolwide assembly from a few soldiers from the nearest branch took place. Just like the sight of Hwangin in his uniform all those years ago, the boys were beyond freaked out at its conclusion. Now that you thought back, you weren’t very helpful as far as giving advice to them. Regardless, you crossed your arms.

Hwangin is taken away by someone from his side of the family and that leaves you to both of your friends to the same table as Jimri and Yoohyuk. It’s only a few meters from the table that you realize what you were about to do. As Ken makes a sound of discontentment, Yoohyuk also reacts by sitting erect in his seat once you three come into sight.

“Damn,” you mutter to yourself. But there wasn’t much to do now. You could only hope that the animosity between both men would not boil over especially at your niece’s birthday party. Due to how late you had made the decision to invite N and Ken, they were left with little choice but to sit here. Unless they wanted to move to your maternal cougar of a grandmother’s table where there was enough room. Satisfied with some semblance of a backup plan, you gesture for them to sit but only across from where Jimri and Yoohyuk were seated.

Cursing your foolishness, you sit in between both sets of friends. The tension at the table was an uncomfortable one as Ken refused to look at Yoohyuk and vice versa. Mieun, your angel, descends upon you after a few minutes of awkward silence.

“Auntie! Look! Grandma bought me this!” she turns around and shows off the pair of fairy wings adorning her back. She looked positively ethereal.

“Pretty.” Picking her up was a challenge with the addition of the wings but she was your lifesaver with impeccable timing. “Mieun, I want you to greet some people.”

“Hi Mieun!” Jimri waves after putting her phone away from sneaking some pictures. Mieun never failed to provide photos of cuteness that were meant to be captured. “Do you remember me?” she asks expectantly.

Mieun blankly looks at her. “Um, no?”

Jimri’s down for the count as she drops her head. Yoohyuk consoles her.

Hiding a smile, you look down at your niece. “This is Jimri, remember? Auntie’s friend. And that’s auntie’s friend’s boyfriend, Yoohyuk.”

Upon being called, Yoohyuk smiles with a wave. “Happy birthday, Mieun.”

Turning away from them, you pivot just so that Mieun can look at your two other guests. “And this is Auntie’s friends too. Hakyeon and Jaehwan.” Both of them wave and just as they’re about to speak most likely to give birthday wishes, Mieun leans closer to them suddenly.

“Hm? Who?” the child asks. Her eyes are narrowed and she’s showing the two of them a bit more interest. Surprised at this, you wonder if she does remember them. The subconscious thought of how she would react to Taekwoon now floats in your mind.

“N and Ken,” you try their nicknames to see if that would have an effect. Even Jimri and Yoohyuk are paying attention now. Just as suddenly as she paid attention, Mieun’s mind goes to something else behind them.

She gasps, “Look Auntie! Someone got Mieun a big present.” She slides from your lap and sprints off.

There is a few seconds of processing the current situation before Jimri speaks. She’s pouting, “How does she not remember me? I mean I’ve seen her at nearly every volleyball game and everything! I even got her to kiss me at her last birthday party!”

Yoohyuk places a calming arm around her. “It’s fine. I’m sure Mieun has met a good number of people since she last saw you.”

You smile reassuringly at her.

N is smiling but it doesn’t look right. “At least you got in your birthday greeting to her. I guess I will have to tell her so later.”

Finding it your responsibility, you apologize for Mieun’s diverted attention.

Ken waves away such worries. “It’s fine Mikyungie, that is just how kids are. I mean,” he leans back in his chair, “I would ignore everyone too if someone got me that big of a present.”

N snorts but laughs and you can’t help but share in the laughter behind your hand.

“Excuse me, paging Choi Mikyung, get to the front table.” Nunji’s deceivingly demure voice fills the room.

Sighing, you stand up and the table gives you the assurance that things would be fine at their table. Or they hint at it and you let that ease your worries. With N and Jimri there, you could be a little less anxious about it.

Leaving them, you go to fulfill your designated duties.

“There she is,” your mother waves you closer and you join them. Hwangin’s mother is also there next to her.

And that is how the birthday party started.

When you’re back at your friends’ table, they are a bit more relaxed. It’s almost time for cake and presents time and until then, you could spend time with them.

Yoohyuk is suspiciously absent which would explain why the table is at ease but you can still discern the tension in Jimri’s eyes. Hoping to get rid of that emotion for her, you sit down right by her instead of choosing the neutral seat between them. Jimri’s hand finds yours.

“Mikyungie,” Ken points across the room. “Who is that?”

You roll your eyes and shake your head.

He gets up without any more prompt. “I’ll go ask then.” He says this as suave as he can pull off.

You shrug and feel no worry as he leaves the table. N looks at you. “Is she married?”

Shrugging again, you look away from him.

Jimri, on the other hand, answers him since she’s been trying to peer over everyone’s head to get a look at just who you guys were discussing. “Are you talking about Mikyung’s older cousin? We went to her wedding last year didn’t we?”

You nod at her.

“She married that really tall guy too. The basketball player?”

N stands up. “I need to save my friend.” He points an accusing finger at you. “You just sent him to his death.”

You make a face at him. Mumbling the reason under your breath, Jimri laughs. “She said he tried setting her up with some high school boy last week.” She calls after N’s quickly departed back. You quickly cover and so the last part is muffled. No need for that to get out to the party guests and especially the family gossipers. There would soon be rumors of you becoming a cougar to fulfill your maternal grandmother's shoes going down the grapevine. A scary thought to even exist.

Jimri actually stands to get a good view of the unexpected confrontation going on. Not wanting her to appear rude, you do the same.

“Mikyung!” a cousin you’ve been trying to avoid the entire event catches sight of you unfortunately.

Groaning, you slump back down into your seat.

Your younger cousin makes his way over. Still standing, Jimri laughs. “Do you see her husband? I’m sure you do considering just how much he stands out. He’s making his way over to Ken. N’s trying to pull him away but-,” she gasps. “Wow, I don’t remember him being that tall! He makes those two look like gangly teenagers.”

One of those actual gangly teenagers made his presence known with a thump on the empty seat next to you. “Cousin Mikyung. You still haven’t answered my request.”

“No.”

“Not what I meant.”

“No.”

“Come on, cousin! I’ll tell my mom to send you some abalone~. Or even, I’ll catch some fresh abalone for you! Please, please pretend just through a text!”

“No.”

“Eh, how about some fresh crabs? I hear your dad likes his crabs fresh!”

And on it went with even more obscure but not very tempting bribery. Jimri whispered the current events going on across the party while you continued to refuse any debauchery your little cousin was pitching at you.

Just as you were about to stalk off, N and Ken made their defeated re-entrance. Ken pointed his own accusing finger at you. In your foul mood, you considered biting the appendage. “You said she wasn’t married!”

His exclamation drew unnecessary attention but it got your cousin to shut up. He looked up and up at the tall male figures behind him. In an almost weasely way, he scrutinized them. In that confrontational manner most boys going through puberty had, he stood up to them challengingly but less like a weasel and more like a meerkat. “Why are you pointing at my cousin? Do you want me to take care of them, cousin? Huh? If I do that for you will you reconsider my business proposition?”

“No.”

“But cousin!”

“But Mikyung!” Ken kneels down in front of you and you can only sigh. These two desperate males were not even thinking of what a scene they were making. Then again, Ken’s wounded ego was probably rearing its ugly head now and he was getting his revenge. Your stupid cousin then made the whole thing worst by kneeling down too and you groaned. He made a show of it too as he quickly clambered down onto his knees after seeing Ken’s example.

“Cousin!”

“Mikyung!”

Nunji cleared .

Ken stumbled away from her looming figure and your cousin screamed.

You could only blink at the scene while N and Jimri’s muffled giggles were prevalent.

“What are you doing Baby Wet Spot?” Nunji asked your cousin who flushed red. He was now stammering back at her with what sounded like baby babble. You fought to remain unaffected by it.

“Go back to your mom and see if its feeding time for you.” She kicks his as he bows repeatedly at her while scooting away.

You knew that your aunt would be having a few choice words with you sisters about her precious son but you already knew that Nunji would reply with words of her own. So you set that aside as Ken smoothly retook his seat across from you.

Yoohyuk had made his own entrance with his eyes darting between you all in a curious manner as if to say ‘what did I miss?’ Jimri’s giggles were about to explode and N was not a far cry from doing the same.

“Mimi?” Nunji was now standing behind you and running her hands through your hair.

“Hm?” Fighting off the instinct to jerk away from her, you hummed in reply.

“Did you do what I asked you to?” At your nod, she almost yanked your head around so you were looking up at her. “Did anyone see you?”

Not liking what she was implying, you did finally leaned away from her. “No.”

Smiling in that fake manner of hers, she turned that scary expression to your table. Ken’s head was below the tablecloth obviously hiding from your sister and N was all composure sitting in his seat with his back straight. “Now that I’m here,” she trailed off and the shiver that threatened your frame was visible in everyone at the table. Her eyes zeroed in on N and Ken, “I want to thank you for your…gifts to my beautiful daughter.”

Both men were statues now. You peered curiously at them and you knew you were not alone in that sentiment as Yoohyuk actually looked at Ken’s direction.

Nunji continued, “I know it has been quite a while since we’ve met face to face but…” she let the anticipation build again and she was enjoying herself a little too much in your opinion. That Cheshire cat smile of hers continued to grow until it was almost splitting her face. “I know things are going to get even more exciting from now on.”

N was a brave soul as he nervously smiled back. “Of course noona.”

Next to him, Ken’s head jerked under the table in a nodding motion but he ended up hitting the table and everything on the table shook as a result. It was a hard hit but he still answered, “Yes, Nunji! Sir, yes, sir!” The tablecloth threatened to slip away from the table as he actually saluted at her but you and Jimri caught the edges in time and thereby preventing the situation from getting bigger than it needed to be.

“Mimi?”

Resigned, you grunted. “What?”

“Get the candles please. I think Hwangin should know where he last left it.”

“Fine.” Standing up, you were still taller than her even when she was the only one wearing heels. But size was an easy deceiver which was something you had learned in the world of sports especially considering how Ken towered over you and where was he? Still cowering under the tablecloth from your petite sister.

“Nunji? Where are Mieun’s extra socks? I think she got into the purse of someone and now there are-oh my! Why, I haven’t seen you two in so long!” Your mom exclaims. It didn’t take any brain cells to know who she was talking to.

You didn’t give any wayward looks back to the table you’ve just abandoned to the wolves. And not just any ordinary wolf but the alpha of all alphas.

Tracking down Hwangin was easy. If he wasn’t with his daughter or his mother, then he would be with your father. And your father would be on the opposite corner away from both his mother and mother-in-law. You had to walk by many inquiring relatives but you just had to mention you were on a task from Nunji and you were easily let go.

Hwangin frantically checked his pockets for the candles when you asked him for them. “Wait, you know what? I’m pretty sure I gave them to your mother for safekeeping.”

Both you and your dad looked incredulously at him. “You gave them to my wife?” Hwangin nodded to your dad. “You gave them to my wife who is surrounded by all of these people where she could easily leave it at any table as she socializes?” And there was quite a number of people here and so many tables. You would know given the centerpieces standing at the center of each table. Your dad crosses his arms and you look up at him hoping he had a plan. He directs a strict gaze at you, “Good luck, recruit.”

You visibly deflate while your clueless brother-in-law smiles oblivious to the challenge presented to you. It was no wonder he married your sister. Even without really meaning to, he made your life that much harder. Knowing it wouldn’t take long, you put on your best vulnerable look while staring at your dad. It breaks him and he cracks even when he tried to avoid looking at you.

You’re soon sent away with the game plan set and the room split between the three of you on a search for the custom-made candles your sister ordered from overseas. Once again, you used Nunji’s name as leverage with each table within your designated area. It’s a simple search and rescue mission with reconnaissance pitched in. If these people were here for Mieun, then they were all well aware of her crazy mom’s reputation. They were bravest of the brave in your family’s acquaintance to be invited and especially for actually showing up. It wouldn’t be long before your small team of candle searchers increased with all of those who were scared of your sister’s wrath.

It’s at the table of gifts that you locate the candles some ten minutes later. And it was good timing that you found it given the fact that the cake is due to be wheeled in soon. You get your dad and Hwangin’s attention by waving the stupidly expensive candles in the air at them and you could almost hear the sigh of relief filling the room. The atmosphere in the room definitely goes up a significant notch at your profound and dire discovery.

Leaning against the table teeming with Mieun’s gifts, you collect your sanity. If you hadn’t found these candles then you would be within Nunji’s target of torture for the rest of the weekend. After straightening up, you let what adrenaline that had built up in your blood abet for a few short minutes before you have to face the devil herself.

That’s when you see it.

His name.

On a gift tag.

'To the beloved Mieun'

'From Jung Taekwoon'

Damn you Nunji.

 

Stay strong, stay safe.