Chapter 23

Not You...

It’s another group outing and Leo is basking in it. It’s that dinner that was promised after the last one. It’s the dinner that he was anticipating every day until it came.

Mikyung yawns as she leans her head on Jimri’s shoulder. Across from them, Leo finds it hard not to stare. After all, it was the first time he saw her (and Jimri) since the award ceremony for the amateur volleyball tournament two weeks ago.

Jimri wordlessly pulls her hair away from being yanked by Mikyung’s heavy head. Leo knows it’s heavy because one time she had accidentally bumped it into his cheek hard enough to leave a bruise. His friends had started enough pointless rumors of Mikyung abusing him to ruffle up some feathers of his stupid cultish fan club. He almost smiles now at the thought of Mikyung punishing his friends for their recklessness.

“…and then the car owner tried to get away but by then the police had arrived. The taxi cab driver then laid it down thick with the…”

Mikyung closed her eyes and Leo worried that she may have a headache. As far as what N’s let slip about Mikyung’s school life, she was in the midst of a decent number of term papers. Her eyes opened and Leo closed his own.

He’s been feeling a bit impatient recently. He guesses it may derive from her lack of response for…well a lot of things. First was the award ceremony where he caught her gaping at him when he had been called to the center of the gym to give out the prizes and trophies. He had honestly thought that either N or Ken would have mentioned he was an ambassador for a foundation for orphanages. But he guessed that he wasn’t a true subject to be brought up with her for either of his friends.

Still, Leo had enjoyed that rare expression of absolute shock as he presented Jimri the third place trophy and the accompanying prizes. He didn’t know he had been smirking until N warned him he could be in hot waters with her for his provoking mien afterwards. Leo would still treasure the memory of it anyways.

One more thing that’s left him feeling piqued was the lack of any kind of news regarding Mieun’s present from him. N still swears up and down that he had delivered it at the party. Ken also swore himself in as a witness but none of them would say anything beyond that of the completion of the delivery. Nothing about what her reaction was or if it had been a surprise, what her family’s reaction was or even if Mieun liked it or not. Leo was dying with draining curiosity.

That was the essential stuff he was deprived of. He didn’t care about what Yoohyuk was up to or how ugly he had become. N and especially Ken had raved on about that but as far as Leo was concerned, all of that Yoohyuk business was water under the bridge. In the end, Mikyung remained his girlfriend. Or had been at the time after Yoohyuk’s attempt.

She lifted her head and looked down at the plate of pasta in front of her. The plate was still half full and Leo knew that if there were any offerings, he would gladly eat the rest for her. Never mind the fact that he already fulfilled his necessary calorie intake. He would just run longer in the morning. But Leo knew such a thing was never going to happen. If anything, Jimri or N would ask for a takeout box for her.

In the end, it didn’t matter how Leo was feeling. He would take possession of these unsettled feelings contained within him so long as he put up a display that allowed him to continue seeing her in person. He was impatient. He was feeling antsy. He was a bit more than frustrated. All was baseless when it involved her. She yawned again.

Once Mikyung’s leftovers were secured in its box, Leo stood up with the rest of the group snatching his jacket up from his chair. He adjusted his cap on his head while sneaking a peek of Mikyung throwing on her own jacket. Leo’s hands clench and he has to force his eyes away when he discovers his focus slipping to other inappropriate paths.

As was made official at their last lunch together, everyone would be paying for their own meals. Except Ken, who conveniently forgot his wallet. When Jimri is the one who cleverly offers to pay for his meal, Ken’s wallet magically appears in his jacket. Leo would have given her a high-five himself but settles for N doing so for him for catching Ken’s blatant lie.

Mikyung laughs despite herself and Leo’s attention is captured only for him to rip it away with willpower he needs to possess. He wouldn’t go back on that compromise he and Mikyung made in Japan.

It’s when everyone is lining up at the cashier stand to take care of their meals that things take a reputable turn. Well, it would be noteworthy for the others had his friends been paying attention but beyond shocking for him. Mikyung lingers at the back of the line and Leo is powerless in taking his time getting there himself that he is also towards the back of the line. Only Jimri is there for it not to be just the two of them. Until she is not.

He’s at a loss to what he should do and is about to take himself out of the equation by going to the restroom or something when he catches sight of the look of betrayal on her face. That’s when he knows that she has something on her mind regarding him. And he just walked right into whatever Jimri felt needed addressing from Mikyung to him. That one expression gave such a lot of things away.

Nervousness draws mercilessly on his being. It was always something unexpected with her these days. He does not know what to expect from her or if he was even allowed to expect anything at all. The ambiguity was eating at him and his self-esteem.

Pretending was his best bet and he stood there as if aloof. As N chattered away with the cashier worker at the front of the line, Leo looked down at his phone. He had to play it cool. It’s Ken’s turn next to take care of his bill and both he and Mikyung move up in the line.

For more than one reason, he keeps his head down. You just never know when a fan may be lurking around. Fans with a camera were even worst. He didn’t need his friends, Jimri and especially Mikyung under anyone’s scrutiny. Stuffing his phone back in his pocket, he reaches in the other pocket in his jacket and grabs his essential and always present mask with the cautionary thought that the cashier may recognize him and it may be best to cover up before it was his turn.

“Um,” he hears her behind him and he drops the plastic containing his mask. Leo is at a loss. Although he suspected it, he wasn’t actually expecting her to start or say something.

Once again forcing himself to play passive, he grunts but chickens out in facing her and reaches down to pick up his mask instead. Mikyung grabs it first. Leo mercilessly curses his late reaction especially at the lost chance of any accidental contact he may have missed out on had he reached out for it first. Mikyung reads his surprise but is surprised herself at the frustration in his eyes. Leo has to think quick to ease her otherwise he just went and ruined it for himself.

Without any concrete thinking, he shrugs and reaches for his mask resting limply in her hand in their still crouched position. But she moves to stand up with his mask still in hand. As she’s doing that, she is mumbling something. Leo is well versed in Mikyung’s mumbling and he is left at a standstill when he follows her action but is still able to understand each word that leaves her lips.

He knows she’s probably as flustered as he is and so he lets the moment calm down for the both of them. When he knows it’s that moment for her to sneak a glance at him to gage his reaction, he gives a brisk nod to let her know he heard her.

She hands him his mask and he covers his mouth quickly in case his widening smile is visible to anyone.

And with that, Leo knows Mieun likes his gift.

~~~~~

Suho calls him before lunch.

“Leo? Is this a good time?”

“Yeah,” Leo sighs. Now that things were actually going with Mikyung, he couldn’t guess for what reason Suho would call him for.

“Are you sure? You’re not resting now, are you? If so, just say the word and I can call at a later time.”

“No.”

“No?”

“Now is fine,” Leo nods to one of his teammate on his way up to his dorm.

“If you’re sure,” Suho still leaves him enough room to deny things. When Leo doesn’t, he continues. “Well, this is certainly out of the blue but,” he clears his throat. “I’m not sure if you know but Xiumin is planning a party for Baekhyun’s army discharge in the coming weeks. We want to know if you may be able to make it. The venue we’re looking into needs a specific attendance count.”

“When?” Leo asks. His practice regime and the dates of his games are already in mind.

“On the twenty fifth in the evening. He’s discharged on the twenty second but we already know he’s going to be with his family during that time.

Leo puts the call on speaker so he can look at his calendar as he opens his dorm door. Usually his month is decided well in advance and he searches for the date. “The twenty fifth…”

“Yes.” Suho answers but waits patiently.

Leo then checks his emails for any last minute scheduling from his managers and his agent. “Nothing.” There was a practice game for his team that evening but those weren’t really mandatory though it would be the first time Leo would take a leave of absence from one. Fortunately there were no disciplinary actions for one absence.

“Really! Great! That is one more person we can look forward to meeting! I have to ask Ken next as N has already agreed.” The excitement was palpable in his voice. “Awesome! I’m sure you already know that a few of my friends are fans of yours but none more than Baekhyun. Thanks so much Leo!”

At such exuberance, Leo doesn’t really know how to respond. He busies himself with grabbing a fresh shirt. “Right.”

“Sorry, sorry. I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable Leo or to give you any pressure. It’s just I’m anticipating Baekhyun’s delight I mean, you have an idea how he can get.”

Leo nods wordlessly.

“Well, I don’t want to take any more of your time. Thank you for your compliance and I’ll keep you informed with any future changes that may affect your appearance.”

Leo grunts to let him know he was listening.

“Thanks again Leo! Very much appreciated. Bye!”

Leo drops the phone on his bed with his stomach grumbling.

~~~~~~

“Taekwoon!”

Leo doesn’t want to move. He felt the ache in the balls of his feet thanks to breaking in a sponsored pair of new cleats lately.

“Taekwoon~,” he hears his mother calling this time. “That’s your warning then.” He hears her outside his door before that is being sprung open.

“Uncle!” That’s his second warning before a heavy figure is dropping onto his back and Leo is winded.

“Hyunwoo,” he groans when he catches his breath.

“Uncle! Guess what? Mom’s getting me a sister in a few months! Mom said my sister’s taking her time growing in her belly!”

Leo groans again before Hyunwoo’s words register in his groggy brain. The second it does, his head snaps up. “What?”

“Mom is giving me a sister!”

Leo rolls over onto his back which is enough for him to get his nephew off of him where he had been bouncing with each excited exclamation. Hyunwoo squeals but Leo is quickly gathering his wits and grabs the back of his nephew’s shirt before he rolls off the bed. Once his nephew is settled once again on his bed, Leo sits up while rubbing his face.

Soomi pokes her head in his room. “Did he kill you yet? He’s already almost fractured his dad’s back and choked him when we broke the news to him.” She shakes her head and lets out a startled sound when Leo gets up from his bed and wraps an arm around her in a one shoulder hug.

“Congrats, Soomi.” Not one for such awkward moments with his sisters, he removes his arm but she hugs him around his waist.

“Yes, yes, another baby for you to spoil rotten.”

Leo chuckles.

Hyunwoo is hopping up and down on Leo’s bed in the meantime in his excitement. Leo shoves the boy away from him just when he’s about to sit on his bed again. Soomi laughs again before she exits his room. “Careful Hyunwoo. Pretty soon you’re going to be sharing your Uncle with your sister so take care of him and don’t kill him before your little sister gets here.”

“Okay mom!” Hyunwoo giggles mischievously as he clambers onto Leo’s back despite his uncle’s grabby hands. It doesn’t take much for Leo to get a hold of him and flip him over his shoulder onto his bed.

Leo sighs but smiles right after. His nephew is definitely going to be a handful even more now but at least he won’t be by himself for much longer. As he gets dressed, Hyunwoo has one of Leo’s personal soccer balls balanced on his thigh. He is doing his best to bump it to the other thigh without letting it fall and Leo smiles again. As he walks by his nephew, he easily takes the ball with the lightest kick on his foot to pass the ball to Leo.

“Uncle!” Hyunwoo follows him out of his room into the living room where his parents and Soomi and her husband are.

With a simple jerk of his feet, Leo sends the ball to Jisuk, Hyunwoo’s dad. That’s enough for his nephew to follow the ball to his dad who fumbled catching it. Leo immediately detours to the kitchen and his dad follows him.

Leo isn’t surprised.

“How’s the ankle?”

“Better.”

“Does it still swell?”

“Yeah. I iced it last night.”

“Nothing on the scans or x-rays?”

“It’s still the same.”

There’s a pause as Leo sits at the table where his dad was already sitting where there are covered dishes from breakfast. As he eats, his dad asks about the team. He doesn’t ask about any strategies or game plans. There’s some rule about sharing such information and they understand that when it can get leaked or sold to other teams.

When his mom walks in, Leo nods to her in thanks for the food. She rolls her eyes at him. “I hope you like the fish. Your dad actually caught something on his last trip.”

Leo can’t hide his surprise much to his dad’s annoyance.

When he’s back in his room after sending his sister’s family off in the garage, he’s tempted to sink back onto his bed but with the discipline engrained in him, he prepares for a run. He let himself sleep in only because it’s his day off and practices have been a lot more rigorous especially with that playoff spot just a few games away. The seeding is practically established already but it won’t be official until the end of the season.

There’s just two more home games and two more away games and then that would be the end of his rookie season. Leo figures it’s because of that fact of him being a rookie that he sees and feels the novelty still. He tries not to let it affect him too much or else he may start to feel too secure. Leo’s spot on the starting roster had to be earned and he’s not about to jeopardize that by slacking off. There are too many rumors about renowned players and athletes who make the mistake of doing so with less than stellar results. Leo doesn’t dream of becoming like that.

Just as he’s about to head out, his phone catches his eye. He’s already checked it for any messages last night but outside of the recent ones from N and Ken, there’s nothing not even from his manager. At the very beginning of the season, he got constant texts from both his manager and trainer to keep track of his training regime and schedule away from the dorm. Now, Leo’s earned their tentative trust to assure them that he’s diligent enough to do this on his own.

But his phone catches his eye for a different reason. Feeling the pull, he walks over to it and he’s tempted to check it again. Leo knows that he won’t find what he wants there but he still checks. Just as long as she actually reads his messages, then it’s fine. Even though he was more than exhausted when he came in last night, he still texted her. Hyunwoo and Soomi’’s news was enough to prevent him from immediately checking when he woke up but Leo just wants to make sure.

“Taekwoon?” that’s his dad’s voice. When his dad comes in, he stops at the door and takes in his son who’s clearly dressed to go out for a run. He’s about to repeat his son’s name but the expression on his face stills him.

Taekwoon looks up from his phone smiling. “Dad?” He doesn’t wait for what his dad says before his eyes drop down to his phone with that smile still on his face.

His dad blinks at him. “Your mom wants to know what you want for dinner.”

Taekwoon chuckles as he fiddles with his phone. “Whatever you guys want dad. We can even go out to eat if you want.”

His son doesn’t like to go out if he can prevent it. Something he can understand but never to the extent of his son. “What’s wrong, son?”

“Hm?” That one sound was one he’s not heard in such a long time. The glee is just thrumming in him. “Wrong?” Taekwoon puts his phone down enough to look at his dad with that smile still. He actually pockets the phone which was something his son didn’t like to do when he’s about to go exercise. His son walks over to his almost frozen figure at the doorway. “Nothing’s wrong.” ‘Right now.

Taekwoon slips past him and his dad’s eyes follow him down the hall. Just as he’s about to step around the corner, his hands are already reaching in his pocket for his phone.

~~~~~

“Congrats.” Leo still surprised himself with how tuned he was with her voice amongst everyone else’s shouts of congratulations. N had been bursting to share Soomi’s happy news on the next outing nearly a month later from that dinner Leo still thinks about.

As the season was winding down, Leo’s team was on the crest of securing a playoff spot much to his delight. It was only a matter of these next games before all was set. He was on quite a cloud career wise and with Soomi giving him something to look forward to in the offseason was another blessing.

He was exhilarated. He is exhilarated. N and Ken were just as happy for him as any other. He had already sent letters to the three youngest and by the time the baby was born then the entire group would be complete. He would have all of his friends with him.

Not to mention the one text. He found it more than a little difficult to decide on an approach for today regarding Mikyung but he decided that no approach was better. He’s already in it for the long run and just like he’s been doing, he’ll do this on her pace.

Leo was getting the fruit of his labor and it was such a happy time. Leo knew he shouldn’t be gushing like this over everything but after such a hard two years, the pieces were coming together.

It was enough for him to crack a smile.

Things came to a screeching halt however.

Despite her earlier wishes, Mikyung was forcing herself. He could see the strain in her expression now that he was looking at her fully. She was happy for his news, no doubt. Mikyung loved children. Her love for Mieun was enough proof of that as well as her own past indulgence of Hyunwoo. And to add to that, Mikyung had gotten along with Soomi best after Jihee.

Leo observed her during the outing. There was only so much she could hide from him as far as her mood. As time went on with their continued face to face meetings, Leo was regaining his sense for her. He hadn’t even noticed losing his awareness of her was possible but he was well on his way to learning this new Mikyung. And as much as this new Mikyung stumped him at times, there was still the old Mikyung enfolded within. It’s because of this observance that Leo wants to throw caution to the wind and approach her.

Jimri wasn’t here and Ken had let slip that Mikyung had yet to open fully and completely to him. As much as the barrier may be thinning between them, a barrier there was nonetheless. At least, that is what Ken said.

Leo felt it was him who had to shatter that barrier. Would he have to be the one to open up fully to her for her to let her guard down with their friends? But it was much too soon for him to admit how much he wants things with them. Their time in Japan was telling him he would be pushing things much too fast for her to handle. He didn’t want to ruin things before it even started.

It’s with this conflict in his eyes that meets hers with her own feelings brewing within his two windows to her soul.

“What’s wrong?” he asks. Ken and N look between the two with wide eyes but neither of the couple pay them any attention.

She crosses her arms first. “Nothing.”

“Liar,” he calls her out on it.

“I guess we’ll be going,” N grabs Ken’s arm and pulls him a lot harder than necessary but it is necessary without a doubt. “Or at least we’ll be over there.”

Ken salutes them both.

Neither Leo nor Mikyung notice their hasty exit from their confrontation on the fairly empty street.

“Liar,” he is a hundred percent positive that he is right. She’s not telling N or Ken and so that leaves it up to him to find out. She has Jimri at her beck and call and she has not told her either. If she doesn’t tell him right now, then she better tell Nunji at least. “What’s wrong?” He’s leaving it up to her just as he’s leaving everything else on her side of the court.

She’s thinking about it now or at least she’s considering him.

Leo keeps his distance from her but is close enough should she walk up to him in two steps. Leo feels the nerves tingling at another figurative but potential step they may be taking together at this very moment.

“Nothing,” she answers. And Leo gives up. He can’t push her.

Leo shrugs. “Fine.”

His answer draws a frown from her to his puzzlement but he lets it go. He walks over to their friends who are doing their best to refrain from intruding on them. Leo can appreciate that and as an award, he buys them dessert. As they’re standing in line at a bakery, Leo looks expectantly at her and she meets his eyes. Leo is once again taken aback by the expression on her face. She’s glaring at him.

Again, without any effort at all, he asks, “What?”

She scowls and he is stumped. He tries to think of what’s going on. Did he do something wrong? Slowly right before his eyes, her scowl dissipates until confusion is the only thing that is mirrored back between the two.

“Eh? What’s wrong Leo, Mikyungie?” Ken asks upfront this time.

The couple blinks at each other before they both look away. They have N’s attention now too.

“You two are what? Having your silent conversations again?” he asks. “Should we be worried?”

“Or should we be happy?” Ken asks next.

Neither of the questioned give them an answer which is oddly enough an answer in itself. Both Ken and N smile at each other. N grabs Ken’s arm again. “We’ll give you both more time to think it over again!” They both giggle as they walk away once more.

Leo doesn’t know if he should follow them when Mikyung moves to follow them. And her action makes up his mind for him.

He steps in her path. Her confusion is prevalent in her eyes as she looks up at him without moving away from him or brushing past him. Taekwoon wishes he could answer all of her questions and he is selfish enough that he wants her to do the same for him.

“What’s wrong?” she’s the one to ask this time.

“Nothing.” Leo answers without a thought.

They both hear how their answers may be the identical to the same question from earlier but with different meanings. While Mikyung was lying with her answer, Taekwoon wasn’t. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the way they were both standing in front of each other and communicating like this in Taekwoon’s eyes.

He sees the pang ripple in her in response to his answer. She sees and hears the difference too. When she drops his gaze, Leo feels the pain that something is preventing her from opening up. He’s trusted Jimri and Nunji to be the ones taking care of her while he’s out of the picture. He’s ensured Mikyung to them silently when he realized they wouldn’t be getting back together. Were they failing him now? Leo’s tempted to find out on his own.

Mikyung looks up at him once again and Leo’s protective instincts abate. For now. “When?”

“When?” Leo is more than off kilter.

Her gaze falters the barest bit. “Soomi?”

Leo frowns because he doesn’t understand what his sister’s due date has her feeling like this. “December.” She nods and she contemplates about it while Taekwoon is left to wonder about it all. Just like old times when he’s left to guess and hope he doesn’t mess anything up with her. “Why?” he asks.

She tilts her head to the side. “Why what?”

Why aren’t you being honest? “Why?” Why won’t you tell me?

Mikyung continues to gaze up at him. He’s not sure what he sees but he thinks it’s wonder? Intrigue? Amazement?

Mikyung is at the very center of the world for him. She’s the one holding him there and this obscurity and her lack of answers is beating him and killing him.

“Why?” he asks again.

Her hands clasp together to give away her nervousness. When she straightens, she takes that agonizing step closer to him. Now she’s one step away from him. She leans up to him and Taekwoon is completely frozen. She cups her hand around and Taekwoon has enough wits about him to lean down for his ear to be closer to her.

His body is just about to react to her unexpected proximity when her words register.

“Nunji too.”

 

Surprise! Another Leo POV!

Stay safe, my readers. #BLM