Chapter 16

Not You...

When N joined you and your partner one night, he had a puzzled look on his face but a peaceful aura consumed his posture as he watched Ken glare daggers at you as you three gathered in front of the movie theater. You were sure a smirk was playing at your lips as you met the tall boy/man’s eyes straight on and you both repeated the game in front of the amused N.

Ken cussed a colorful one and your own amusement shot up as you wiggled your two fingers at his outstretched hand.

“Is this what you two do every time to decide who pays?” N asked, politely distancing himself from Ken who grumbled brighter curses under his breath.

At your nod, Ken pouted while letting out a defeated sigh. “I’m only letting her win because I know Mikyungie is saving for your birthday gift.”

You made a face at him with a sharp slap to his arm.

“Gift?” N looked down at you with a pleased expression as he ran a hand through his growing hair. It was now at the length to cover his forehead.

You elbowed Ken who gave you a placating gesture.

“You know, the gift for your birthday party in a couple of days that we’ve been planning for the last week where everyone is going?” Ken had a challenging look in his eyes as he peered down at you leisurely.

“Party?” N had a pleased smile for a second.

Ken’s eyes widened, “Party? What party?”

N scowled, “Did you just ruin my surprise?”

Ken blinked innocently at him. “Oh? Was it supposed to be a surprise? Did you not know people held parties on birthdays?”

You kicked his shin before joining the line for the tickets stand where you three had stood to the side of so as to find out who would be footing the bill.

“Fu-,” Ken almost got the whole swear out as he grabbed at your finely executed target but N clamped a hand over his mouth with a frantic look in his darting eyes taking in the surroundings..

“What the fu-he-ck man?” N almost swore too. “There are kids around.”

You rolled your eyes. The swearing was a common thing you had to desensitized your innocent ears from when around these guys. Though you do have to give them a bit of credit. When you all were in high school, they hardly slipped when around you. But it appears their time on the military bases had been a welcoming location to let all things hang loose and it would take a bit of time to reign in their cussing if they choose to do so. Not that you minded as Nunji had quite the sailor’s mouth herself when outside the earshot of both of your parents and her baby.

They fell in line behind you as you felt a nudge on your shoulder. When you peered to see who it was, you let out a big sigh.

“Choi Mikyung.”

“Hey Mikyung!” Eunkwang brightly exclaimed and waved at you.

You automatically waved back but Annoying Boy stepped in front of him to claim your wave and waved at you himself. You immediately dropped your hand. “It’s about time you pulled your head out of the sand.”

You scoffed and turned around while crossing your arms. You had been opposed to this from the beginning, let’s just make that clear. You’d been hoping something horrible or time consuming would prevent him from making it but alas, you wishes were unanswered.

“Hm, it looks like your hair is all grown out, Minhyuk,” N observed. He was the one standing closest to you but he chose to put up with the newcomer so he took a step closer to them for which you couldn’t understand.

Eunkwang laughed from behind you before revealing, “He tried out the fast growing hair care products for the last month. So I’m sure he got his money’s worth at least.” For that, he got shoved out of the line and you slowly turned around to face them.

N and Minhyuk frowned, not like being teased about taking the extra push to regain their flowing locks, while Ken snickered whose own hair was just as long as the other boys. “There’s a more natural way of growing your hair quickly,” he smirked at the other guys.

You rolled your eyes as a few of the guys guffawed. “I’m sure that’s working perfectly for you Ken,” Minhyuk scoffed before sending you a lecherous grin. “Do you even know what he means, Mikyungie?”

You sniffed in derision earning a teasing laugh from all of the guys. Turning away from them, you caught a group of girls staring at your group. They were giggling while shooting appreciative glances at the guys standing behind you. So close to warning them away from the rambunctious bunch, an approaching figure took your attention away.

Out of everything, Ken and N were the two anchoring you here to put up with him. Yes, him. Jung Taekwoon. Your new…whatever. It was still unclear and you would try this…whatever out. For N, Ken, Ravi, Hongbin and Hyuk.

And for yourself.´

You crossed your arms and turned away from everyone. You were doing this for yourself. To test your limits and more than a few boundaries. This was all just a test.

That knowing feeling of people watching you almost made you shudder so you knew that the boys all knew he was here too and they were watching for your reaction. Not that they were going to be getting one. Definitely not.

You stepped forward in the line and someone flanked you. Not wanting to know who, you only faced the ticketing office.

“Did you hear anything about the movie we’ll be watching Mikyungie?” Ken asked you knowingly, answering the curiosity of the unknown. With a bland expression, you gave him a blank stare. “What?”

With an unimpressed scoff, you lost your interest in his mischievous ways. “No.”

“Hm? Did you say something, Mikyungie?”

You kept your poker face.

He laughed this time which unfortunately drew the interest of everyone, the exact opposite result you didn’t want.

“Why don’t we watch the horror film?” Minhyuk asked curiously. “I’d rather watch something a little more interesting than just a thriller.”

“Fu-heck no.” Ken exclaimed.

Eunkwang laughed and you felt your amusement mount once more. You crossed your arms while watching the group of girls pay for their tickets. You idly wondered if you preferred being in a group such as that than the one you were currently with.

“The thriller movie got decent reviews,” N added as he smiled at them all. “And the horror’s reviews weren’t as great.”

“So the horror is a fu-damn-ing no go.” Ken made Eunkwang and Minhyuk laugh once more. Your pursed your lips in order to repress the smile that was daring to peek out.

“You might as well let it all out, you ,” Minhyuk chortled in reference to Ken’s ability to avoid cussing.

“Fu-Damn you,” Ken glared playfully at his friend.

N and Eunkwang guffawed.

You crossed your arms and pretended you weren’t there. That’s when you felt it. That nudge to your arm that mentally pained you because you knew who it was and what it meant.

You didn’t turn to the nudger nor did you give him any of your attention, instead choosing to watch the girls slipped inside the building. “Hmph.”

Your mind was prepared for many scenarios but not for Him. You’d been willing or should you say, you were anticipatory for many possibilities and you were really ready to try which was why you were there in the first place. The pure happiness and contentment in both Ken and N’s eyes was your reward and only goal for the night. You were going to try and you were going to endure. It was what was expected of you by the present company. Each of them was observing the two of you now which was why Minhyuk in between the two of you.

“Are you going to sit by me, Choi Mikyung? Do you need me by you?” this pest was another one you wouldn’t be giving your attention to. You’d think he would know that by now. “Hm?”

You resolutely stared straight ahead, refusing to give any indication your heard him or felt anything.

“Mikyungie is going to sit by me,” Ken declared quite loudly. “We have a system we must abide by no matter what,” he slithered his way in between you and Minhyuk. “It is our law.” He winked at you for added measure and also threw his arm around you because why not?

N pushed him away before he took his spot with his own arm resting around your shoulders. “This is our first movie together after so long and I want to sit by Mikyungie. It’s been what? Three years? It was towards the end of second year, right?” he asked everyone as he peered around him at the faces surrounding. He pulled you a step closer in the line with his hold on you. “I mean, we were all pretty busy in third year and wait-.” There was a joint effort in Minhyuk and Ken pushing their friend away from you. You both staggered forward and Eunkwang caught you while N wasn’t so lucky.

A sigh was all that left you, both from the situation and also from the familiarity with one exception you thought of as you straightened up. And he was moving forward in the line with his back to you all. Ken quickly intercepted him just as Leo was about to pay for the tickets. “I’ve got mine and Kyungie’s, Leo.” He leaned down and impressively resisted the shove from the quiet man. “Two adults for the 6 PM show please.”

“Where would you like the seats? Please indicate it on the touch screen below.”

You reached over and Leo froze as you had to reach around him. You pressed the tip of your finger on the available seat in your favorite row. Ken reciprocated and chose the one next to yours as you withdrew your arm.

There was an empty seat next to you.

At this point since your reunion, Ken knew your choice of movie snacks by heart and he paid for it without preamble. The same could not be said for the rest as they argued who would pay and what the limit would be. Dutch pay was the resulting conclusion with the exception of N who bought Leo’s since Leo had paid for the tickets.

Ken made sure you and him were shoulder to shoulder at all times, indirectly saving you aplenty from awkward situations. There was the time you actually felt yourself drifting closer to an unrelenting but nostalgic warmth and Ken snapped you out of it by asking you to get napkins. Then you were once again the moth attracted to the dangerous light as you walked into the theater and were plunged into darkness. It was then you subconsciously reached out for a guide and Ken once again intercepted you by grabbing your wrist to lead you to your seat. He sat you down beside him and Eunkwang smoothly took the seat next to you to a certain and unfortunately persistent boy’s frustration. It seemed like he was the only one who felt that way, not that you could see their reactions in the dark theater.

Taek-Leo was the only one you did your best to give little mind of his whereabouts but those efforts proved to be fruitless. He was there and there was little else you were aware of though the remaining boys did prove themselves to be satisfactory distractions.

It was just…

…he was there. Two seats down from you.

And you were both fine and not fine with this fact.

As you all exited the theater, another decision had to be made.

“Pizza! For old time’s sake.” Minhyuk and Ken were toe to toe.

“No, I want chicken.”

“Pizza.”

“Chicken.”

N and Eunkwang took positions on whichever side they agreed with. They both waved you over to make your slelection. You considered your options as Leo joined the fray and chose his side. And that, unbeknownst to all, just made your decision a little harder. Or a little easier.

You stood behind Annoying Boy. The only one to do so as the three others gathered behind Ken much to their disbelief however it was Annoying Boy who found the greatest pleasure in the current situation.

“Ha! You heard the lady! And since you’re all still ers for her, I won!” He was positively beaming at you as if your support on this one decision washed away all of the rejection you dished out to him throughout the course of your acquaintance.

N frowned sullenly. “Are you sure Mikyungie?”

At your firm nod, he drifted over to your side. “How dare you!” Ken accused while gasping with all the dramatics. Eunkwang shrugged before following and joining your group. “Enemies! You’re all my enemies!” He only had the support of Leo whose gaze you could feel fixed on you.

 

It was after dinner that you ran into a dilemma.

“Who’s up for some drinks now?”

You did your best not to sound out but they all looked at you. What was up with that? How was it they wouldn’t let you fade into the background?

You gave the usual noncommittal shrug.

Ken smiled, “Come on Kyungie. It’s been years since we last shared something good.”

Eunkwang gaped at you. “You drank in high school?”

You glared at Ken. “What? It has been years,” his smile was as persuasive as a rock.

N looked like he was in between glaring at his friend and giving you an apologetic look. It was an odd expression but one that only he was capable of. “Well, I do want us to spend more time together so I’m up for it.”

Ken nudged you good naturedly, “And you did mention you didn’t have any pressing matters schedule tomorrow.” Something you regret doing at this very moment. “So I know you’re free to get a hangover if you want to go hard,” he mentioned brightly.

“I’ll be the DD!” Minhyuk announced just as sudden as the worry that took over you at the sudden possibilities that may turn out should you give in. “I’ll take care of you all.”

N grinned, “I do want to share a drink with you next time Minhyukie.”

“As long as there is a next time.” Annoying Boy smirked but at you in particular.

Eunkwang gave his input, “I’ll help Minhyukie too since I doubt he’ll be able to handle you all,” he gave a pointed look at Leo and Ken.

You bit your lip, still determined to head home right now but collectively they could be persuasive and even pressure you even more. But you were resolute.

Later…

Damn them all. Just damn them.

N placed the glass in front of you while Ken ordered more fried squid. You were settled in your seat in between the two while the remaining three occupied the bench across. You idly looked over at the tarp of the canopy shielding you all from the night’s cold.

Directly across you was Eunkwang who gave you a reassuring smile when he caught your eye, something you did appreciate at the very moment. You hoped, if you got to the point you were drunk that he would have to enact on his responsibility as DD then he would be the one to taking care of you. You did not trust the predatory look in Annoyingly Desperate Boy at all.

“Here you go Kyungie,” Ken placed the dish of ddeokbokki in front of you. “Just the right amount of spiciness for you.”

Nodding your thanks, you murmured a silent prayer to the heavens as N poured you the starting shot before topping off all the other glasses of those who should participate in your demise.

“To friendship and second chances!”

Here goes nothing…

It has been a long while since you got to this point of drunkenness. And it was a credit to the people surrounding you that you allowed it to get to this point. To actually talking and joking with Ken, N and Eunkwang. The remaining two, even though you were smashed, were on the Off list. This Off list of yours meant that you had enough mind and reason to caution yourself away from them in your drunken stupor. The List had derived from those creeps who tried to take advantage of you in this rather vulnerable state and had long since become a necessity as a form of protection.

But with N and Ken in particular, you still trusted them wholeheartedly.

Which they took advantage of.

Especially N.

“Say. Miss Mikyungie.”

You smiled. “Hm?”

“What do you think of naming your first child after me?”

You thought about it, seriously considering it, before shaking your head.

“WHHHYYY??” he burped. “NNNOOOOOT?” he finished his desperate plea.

You shrugged hard enough to dislocate your shoulder.

“SHE CAN’T!” Ken slammed his palm hard on the table. Without any coherent thought going through your mind, you pulled the wrong hand to you to see if it was okay. Ken didn’t notice.

N’s eyes were infernos over the top of your head. “WHHHYYY??” another burp followed by a gruff, “NNNOOOOOT?”

“’Cuz,” Ken met his friend’s blazing gaze. “Her child will be named Tom.” You gently patted his hand, satisfied your healing powers had helped save Ken’s hand.

“Who are you to say her daughter will be named Tom?” N demanded. His words were barely coherent as he too hit the table. For a while you considered which one to heal: N’s hand or the table.

“Her daughter deserves a strong name,” Ken said viciously.

“Her daughter deserves a stronger name!” N argued back with fire coming out of his mouth. “Hakyeon is good enough!”

“Ha,” Leo was inspecting his hand in careful scrutiny diagonally across you.

“Then Tom is better!” Ken growled. “Tom means a conqueror. Tom makes the best kimbap. Tom has bunnies!”

N was trying to stand, probably to show off his stupid height but he ended slumping back in his seat, almost falling over in the process. “Hakyeon will be popular with the grandmas! Hakyeon will have her own following of grandmas! Hakyeon will rule all of Korea with grandmas!”

“Ja.” Leo was now inspecting his wrist but he had trouble deciding between his left and his right. He chose his right because his watch was in the way on his left but that was to be watched later.

“When Tom is a grandma, she will be queen of all grandmas!”

“Queen Hakyeon will have all the kimbap she wants. She will also have a load of bunnies!”

“ bunnies! Queen Tom will have rabbits who are also ing grandmas!”

N sighed serenely, “Queen Hakyeon.”

Ken reached over and was probably aiming to hit N but instead almost fell off the bench and chose to save his balance by placing a hand on the ground, the hand you had just healed. After a second, he tried to push himself upright but in the end had to stop himself from falling into the ocean by using both hands. “Help! I don’t want to drown!”

Leo was trying to look at his elbows in the meantime while trying to think of a way to get around his sleeves.

In the end, you chose to heal the table.

 

Things haven't been good but thank you for reading.