Chapter 25

Not You...

“Auntie!” The car isn’t even pulled to a proper stop before you’re wrenching open the door in order to get to Mieun. But to get to her, you must first greet and hug your mom who gives you one sad and almost disappointed look when she witnesses you make a beeline for Mieun. You don’t feel too bad about it when you know for certain that had the roles been switched your mom would do the exact same thing as you. She may even just push you out of the way.

With that settled, you drop the shame for loving your niece and missing her so much. You quickly undo the car seat’s bindings and after she’s done stretching, you heft her into your arms. She’s no longer the small baby that weighed next to nothing and you’re not going to lie and deny that this is starting to become a challenge but you don’t mind it at all.

But Nunji minds. “Quit babying her!” she huffs as she gets out of the passenger seat. Hwangin gives you a good natured wave as he follows her example and exits the car.

“Hey Mikyungie,” he smiles at you as he walks to the back of the car most likely to retrieve Mieun’s things for the weekend.

“Hi Hwangin,” you smile back while Mieun amuses herself by running her hand through your hair that you only had time to brush out before running down here outside your building when you got your mom’s text that they were close.

You’re more than surprised when he pulls out a huge suitcase. Surely that’s not Mieun’s. Surely Hwangin is just pulling that out in order to get to Mieun’s true suitcase. You quickly assess your mother’s reaction because that’s where you’re definite in getting an honest answer. She sadly nods and you know you’re right in worrying about it.

Nunji rolls her eyes. “What? Do you think I would leave my daughter with you without having all situations thought out and supplied for?”

You connect the obvious dots she’s generously laid out for you. “Those are her clothes? For two days?” you can’t help but question her sanity.

All you get is a glare.

That’s when your mom speaks up. “It’s fine Mikyungie.” She places a reassuring hand on your arm while you shift Mieun in your arms. “I mean, there was also the whole suitcase set that Nunji packed but I brought her down to just that one.”

You can’t hide your disbelief. You know you should have expected something from your sister but this? You shake your head in exasperation and Nunji finds your reaction insulting even though you don’t mean it that way.

“You’ll be more than surprised once you see what’s really inside. And besides, just wait until it’s your turn, Mimi.” She says this in a sing song way and that’s enough to make you freeze and drop your bewilderment swiftly. “I mean, after all, I’m sure you’re on the road there right?” she asks sweetly.

Beside you, your mom looks between you two. “What do you mean Nunji?”

Your sister reads the panic in your eyes and she’s beyond satisfied by your reaction to her leading words. She smiles innocently at your mom. “Nothing really. I just can’t wait but also hope my baby sister doesn’t disappoint me in the end.” She shrugs and there’s a wicked glint in her eyes.

You can only feel stunted as you stare at her wide eyed.

Thankfully, your mom takes your reaction for disbelief of you giving her a grandchild suddenly. “No Nunji. I want Mikyung to at least finish college and settle in her job before I get a grandchild from her.” She pats your arm where her arm has been resting this entire time.

Nunji shrugs. “I can hope for that too.”

“Is your apartment open, Mikyung?” Hwangin asks oblivious as always to the affairs of the women of your family.

Numbly, you nod. He closes the trunk and drags the suitcase up onto the sidewalk. He actually makes an effort to do so. He reads your emotions accurate enough and he smiles at you reassuringly. “Don’t worry. I’ll help you bring it back down when we come to pick up my princess.” He and Mieun share an adorable smile at his words.

“You mean when we rescue her?” Nunji asks with the barest bite in it. She’s still holding a grudge against Mieun’s decision to stay with you but more so with your avoidance of her. She gives you a pointed look and you wordlessly place Mieun on the ground, now properly chastised with what Nunji is obviously holding over your head. She probably wouldn’t be this mad had you actually picked up her calls and you figure this was the worst case scenario for ignoring her since your time with Taekwoon. You feel yourself twitch a little because you feel the danger of even thinking his name in Nunji’s presence. It takes a while to disentangle Mieun’s fingers from your hair but you get her to do so without yanking too many strands out.

Mieun holds your hand as you, your mom and Nunji follow Hwangin up to your apartment. Well, you all watch him struggle hauling the huge suitcase up. And you’re the only one that can offer to help him given that you’re not his pregnant wife nor are you his esteemed mother-in-law. He gives you a grateful smile as you both take on the task of the almost impossible while Mieun, her grandmother and mother head up first. Almost the impossible because you two do manage to get the job done even if you’re both unbelievably sweaty at the end. Your mom is kind enough to hold the door open for you both while Nunji is already snooping around your desk and bed most undoubtedly for evidence of your ‘secret’ time with a specific person.

When the door is closed, your mother resumes her inspection of the contents of your refrigerator. “Mikyung, why don’t you have more healthy things in here? I thought I packed you a few side dishes the last time you were home? It’s a good thing I prepared for this.” She mumbles the last bit.

Before you answer, Nunji speaks. “The last time she was home? That was when? Mieun’s party? That was almost three weeks ago mom.” She gives you that pointed look and you feel clammy. “That’s enough time for something to start that will distract my baby sister.”

Your mom looks confused. “I thought you were done with your term papers, Mikyungie?”

You quickly nod because that’s a question you can answer. “I am done.”

“Oh? You’re done? Then you must have a lot of free time now, don’t you?” Nunji asks leadingly.

Her tone makes your mom frown and that’s the last thing you want. You’re still unsure of what to think of your time spent with Taekwoon and until you comprehended even a fraction of it, you didn’t want your mom knowing anything. But your sister was a sadist and enjoyed freaking you out while making you suffer even more. She smiles enchantingly and that’s the most menacing smile you’ve seen her smile to date. You find it in yourself to answer her bravely but stupidly. “I’m not that busy.”

Shaking her head, your mom still smiles and that smile is a strict contrast between that of hers and her eldest daughter’s. “You two and your secrets.” Her smile turns to a pout. “Why won’t you tell me anything?”

Nunji snakes her arm around her shoulder. “It sure is something mom. But,” she smiles over to you and this one’s not as scary as the one from before. Probably because your mom’s presence has enough force to desensitize and dilute the poisonous aura around your sister. “I want to hold this over Mikyungie for a little longer, okay?” the question is poised so innocently that it makes your head spin at the sheer treachery and deceitfulness contained in it.

Your mom giggles. She actually giggles but she stems them when she sees the betrayal in your eyes. “I’m sorry Mikyung but you two can be so cute.”

Cute?

Hwangin has since helped himself to some water in the meantime and distracts his daughter from interrupting your demise. “Hey guys, if we want to get there in time for dinner, I think it’s time to go now.” Mieun is in his arms and even through the haze is choking you, you still see her as her ray of hope. That is until you think about whether your sister was truly evil and desperate enough to deploy your precious niece to uncover your ‘secret.’ You know it’s not mistrust or fear that’s making you think like this though it does sting to consider the possibility. It’s not paranoia. It’s experience. The Nunji kind of experience.

As they say their goodbyes, you walk them to your door and you’re sure but not positive that you see Nunji give Mieun a different kind of smile. You wouldn’t put it past your monster of a sister to bypass your defenses and enlist Mieun in her quest to reveal and uncover all that you’ve been hiding and holding back on since that disastrous phone call.

How could she do this to you?

When the door closes behind them, Mieun smiles up at you with that special smile of hers and that’s when you give in. You can curse your sister later all you want when Mieun’s gone but in your angel’s presence, you decide to disregard any underhanded methods your sister definitely considered and chose to use.

“Did you eat, Mieunie?” you ask her.

She nods. “But I want some fruits.”

You nod back. “We can go to the store for your snacks.”

She shakes her head and grabs your hand. With that hold on you, she drags you over to her colossal suitcase that stands threateningly by the short counter in between your living space and the kitchen. It’s even bigger than Mieun! “No, no, no Auntie. Grandma packed some for me.”

That’s when there’s a knock on your door. A bit confused, you go to the door with her trailing after you. It’s Hwangin.

“Daddy!” she exclaims but she does a one-eighty. “Why are you here? Is it time to go home?” Your heart melts at the disappointment in her voice.

“No, no, no Mieun.” Hwangin quickly shakes his head while kneeling down. He places whatever he’s holding to the side before you get a good look at it to pat her head. “Daddy just forgot to give your Auntie something.” Assured, Mieun gives a satisfied smile.

He stands up. “Sorry,” he chuckles. “This is just in case.” He air quotes these words while shrugging at your confusion. “Those are Nunji’s words.” He hands over Mieun’s car seat and you’re more than disconcerted as you accept it. “Ah!” he exclaims suddenly. And then he is digging in his pocket and pulls out his wallet. You’re already about to close the door on him once his intentions register when he places his entire body in between the doorway before you can pull a fast one on him. “Come on Mikyungie. This is just some spending money for whatever you have planned for the two of you. I know both your mom and sister went overboard on the packing but I want to do something for you too.” He’s giving you such a very brotherly smile that you think about it for a second. Seeing that, he eases himself out of the doorway but you have enough Nunji in you to take advantage of that and shut the door on his shocked face. “Come on Mikyungie!’ he genuinely sounds surprised. Just as suddenly though, you hear him again. “Bye girls! Have fun!” he shouts through the door. You wonder about that but you look down and see the money he’s slipped through the gap under the door. With whatever he has in him that’s ensured his survival with the likes of your sister Hwangin still gets it his way.

“Ooh look Auntie!” Mieun exclaims. She races towards the door and you make a reminder to make her understand that she can’t do that with consideration to whoever lives in the apartment below you. “Money!” she scoops up the yellow bills and shows it to you.

You sigh but take them from her. “That’s Mieun’s money.” You make the distinction for her to comprehend. “Your daddy wants Mieun to be happy while you’re with Auntie.”

She gazes up at you before a look of muddlement takes over her small face. “But Mieun is already happy.”

Your heart is about to burst at her words. “I mean he wants you to be happier,” you adjust your words while smiling widely at her.

She smiles back. “Okay.” She then grabs your hand again. “I want fruits now Auntie.” She resumes her trek to her suitcase again and you laugh at her one track mind that’s very much like her mom.

“Alright.”

You take care to lower the very ominous suitcase while making sure Mieun is a safe distance away should the weight become too much for you. Thanks to the unexpected warm up you experienced in dragging the abomination up to your apartment with Hwangin, it is a much easier task than you anticipated. Once you’re ping it, you gaze in shock at its contents. Are those two duffle bags filled to the brim with clothes that are clearly labeled day and night? Is that really a custom insulated tote bag b full of just food?

Mieun doesn’t even care about it as she struggles to lift the tote bag. “Grandma told me to tell you to put these away.” She glares at the bag when she can’t lift it before she looks up at you expectantly and at this point, you’re now over your shock. You reach down and she hands over the handles. You can’t help but sigh over your mother’s worries. Mieun follows you the short distance to your refrigerator and pulls it open for you. She also helps you place all of the containers in it. Once the task is complete and she is munching away at the cup full of cut up fruit at your desk, you get to your job of unpacking. You know that there are somethings in there that Nunji would be outraged over should she find the smallest wrinkle in it.

By the time you’re done, Mieun remains seated at your desk and doodling on a notebook that is okay for her to use. It’s mid-afternoon at this point and you slump against the end of your bed.

“Are you done, Auntie?” she asks. Sighing, you nod. She looks over her shoulder to see your sudden fatigue. Sliding off of the chair, she walks over to you and hugs you. “I love you Auntie.”

You don’t know how she does it but the tension inflicted on you by her mother disappears just like that while you hug her tighter. It’s almost scary how perceptive Mieun is. It makes you remember how Hyunwoo was similar with Taekwoon after a bad game. When even you were the fraction bit tentative around him, Hyunwoo would march right up to his uncle and grab his legs and that was enough for Taekwoon to cool down. You still remember the wonderment in N’s tone when he made the comment that if only they could take Hyunwoo everywhere with them or that if only Hyunwoo had been born earlier to save them all a lot of time and prevented a whole lot of bruises.

You clear your mind. Not that those aren’t good thoughts but you really want to focus on Mieun during this time.

It’s when you still choose to take her to the store that you get another shock. Just as you suggest the short trip, she runs over to your hanger where you clothes are and also where you hung up a few outfits of hers. Then she pulls out an outfit and starts to change.

At this point, you’re more than horrified. Just what is your devil of a sister doing to your niece? In your terror, you can only stand at the doorway waiting for her to finish up. When she is ready in a whole new outfit, she carefully goes back to the suitcase and fishes out a bag that you left in there because it didn’t have anything but apparently it’s Mieun’s laundry bag. Even at three, Nunji has her disciplined enough to put her clothes away right.

She runs back to the clothing rack when you snap out of it. “Mieun?” you start still feeling a bit dazed.

She looks at you just as she’s reaching for a jacket. “Yes, Auntie?”

You walk over to her and help her into it. “There are people who live below us,” you zip up the jacket. “And they can hear you when you run across the floor here because the floor,” you tap your foot, “is their ceiling.” You point up at it. “The rooms are stacked on top of each other.”

She nods now serious. “So I can’t run here?”

You nod back. “Not in here in the building.”

“Okay, Auntie.” She smiles sweetly at you and you fight the urge to lift her into your arms again.

“Great.” You hold your hand out to her and she takes it.

“Auntie, my money?” she asks as you’re locking up. You pat your pockets and then nod in the affirmative. “Yay! I want to show you my new favorite drink. Daddy and me like it but Mommy doesn’t.”

Anything your sister doesn’t like, you’ll happily try. You smile down at her as you take her carefully down the steps. As stable as she is becoming, she’s still a toddler who needs assistance time to time.

When you get back to your apartment, you’re weighed down by a big box full of groceries. It’s still manageable and you are more than thankful that Mieun is able to reach the door handles to open the doors for you into your apartment building. She tries to help but more often than not she steps into your path and you nearly bowl her over more than one time.

Once you’re safely inside, Mieun is eager to help you cook and constantly boasts about helping her grandma cook. It’s a peaceful evening and night that follows with her huddled close to you in your bed at the end of the night. You’re more than tired due to the number of times you’ve actually had to use what little strength you have.

And it’s not until bedtime do you see why it’s a good thing your sister pushed for a queen sized bed because as it is known in your family, Mieun is a roller. Like, she’ll actually roll off the bed. It’s one of the reasons why she still has a crib-like bed with beams around the mattress that prevents her from it. You’re thankful that your bed frame has both a headboard and a floor board because with you sleeping on the edge and the bed pressed against the wall, Mieun has nowhere to roll off.

You worry about it right before you drift off and you do wake up once or twice in the middle of the night to make sure she’s still on the bed. The first time you wake up, she’s huddled right against the wall and the next time you wake up, she’s curled next to your feet. It’s cute but also worrying.

She’s the one that wakes you up with her leaning over you and watching you. It feels like you should be freaked out but that is definitely a sight you know you’ll remember despite the grogginess of your brain.

It’s a peaceful morning that welcomes you two until you finally pick up your phone. Although you wouldn’t mind being tucked away inside your apartment with her the whole weekend, you’ve made plans to take her to the aquarium that’s on your side of the city. And you’ve invited Jimri and Yoohyuk.

Like it’s been lately, there is also that nagging in your brain that makes you feel compelled to invite N and Ken. And there’s no problem doing that. Except, that would also prompt you to do the same with Taekwoon. And with what happened on Tuesday, you’re apprehensive. The end of that day is when it got realer between the two of you and you won’t be lying when you admit you’re still processing things.

But anyways, aside from that, you have refrained from inviting both boys because Mieun is not familiar with them drawing from her reaction to them at her birthday party. You figure that there will be future chances for them to get to know one another but just not this weekend.

At the aquarium at the designated time for the meet up, Jimri bounces over as soon as she catches sight of you. More like she caught sight of Mieun in all of her adorableness. Once again, Mieun chose an entirely new outfit for the day that you know is ultimately Nunji’s teachings. The only thing you can say about this revelation is that at least Mieun is actually wearing her clothes because she does have a lot especially after her birthday and Mieun is at the age she wants to choose whatever she wears.

The day is a fast one. Much too fast.

Throughout the day, Jimri praises Mieun countless times for the littlest things and your niece is very susceptible to compliments it appears. At the restaurant for lunch, Mieun chooses to sit by Jimri which is a feat but it’s an awkward result for you since that leaves you to sit by Yoohyuk. As Jimri coos to your niece, you figure that would be enough but Yoohyuk clears his throat.

Withholding your groan, you give him your attention by turning to him.

“How are things, Mikyungie?” he asks easily. You shrug while giving a pointed glance to Mieun. He looks properly chastised. “Right, of course they’re going great with your niece around you. Sorry for not connecting the dots.”

You give a nod.

“But,” he wants to continue and you get an ominous feeling from him. “Have your new friends said anything?”

His question draws an instant frown from you. And strangely enough, you feel a bit upset with him about whatever he’s about to say. This is more than enough for you to speak. “What do you mean?” you demand.

He blinks at you just as Jimri squeals about something Mieun did or said. “They didn’t say anything about their threats against me?”

Against your better judgement, this particular question actually makes you laugh. Not a long drawn out one because that would make you look crazy and more than that would hurt your past classmate’s feelings. No, this was more like a guffaw but it is still strong enough to sting his ego and/or pride.

He’s frowning now. “I fail to see anything amusing about this, Mikyung.”

You raise your eyebrows at him while giving him another pointed glance. Like, duh? Who does he think he is? Who does he think you are? Their owner? His owner? You’re now feeling more than exasperated. Did you have to do something when it’s between him and them?

This is when Jimri seems to regain her sense for the present and wake up from her induced Mieun state. “Right, Mikyungie?” her tone started from a happy note and then transitioned to a worried lilt when she noticed the tension between you two. “Mikyung? Yoohyuk?”

Her boyfriend is more than frowning at you now. He’s outright scowling. “I guess I should have expected this. I guess the last two years don’t mean anything to you, do they?”

Your eyes narrow and this time it’s in warning. He shouldn’t be doing this in front of Jimri much less in front of Mieun. You can take whatever disgruntled feelings he may have directed towards you and even towards your friends but he should at least know that there is a place for that. Preferably when you’re alone. Never mind the fact that you’re never going to be willingly alone with him but in your anger, you’ll forget this. “Mieun? Let’s go.”

His eyes widen at that. He looks between Jimri’s confused and more than worried face to you getting up and grabbing your jacket off the back of your chair. “Mikyung?” You want to scoff at his worry now. Probably trying to save face in front of Jimri.

“Auntie?” Mieun pouts at you. “But I’m hungry.”

You soften your tone. “I’m sorry baby, but I can get you a meal somewhere that comes with a free toy.”

“Mikyung?”

“Yay!” she gets up and grabs her own jacket.

You only turn to address your friend. You’re truly apologetic but Yoohyuk crossed a line he knew better than to cross. “Sorry, Jimri.” You know your desire to leave is only making her confused and hurting her.

“Mikyung?” Yoohyuk stands and it looks like he’s about to cut off your exit but you send him a vicious glare and that freezes him.

Mieun slips her hand in yours and that gives you the strength to say. “I can forgive you, Yoohyuk. Just this once.”

With that, you leave with your niece who has an eager trot in her steps with the sole purpose of leaving that pesky classmate of yours behind because you really don’t know what you’re about to do to him at this place. A restaurant that Yoohyuk chose for the occasion that definitely isn’t really Mieun’s style at her age. You’ll be honest and admit that you did worry about whether she may like the food here but Jimri was doing an excellent job at distracting her. It to put Jimri’s effort down but… Yoohyuk is an .

You’re doing your best to keep your temper in check and you know you can’t let it show particularly with your niece here with you. She gets her cues off of you and can get agitated because of you which is an outcome you do not want to happen.

When you look down at her to gage any response she may or may not have at your abrupt withdrawal, you’re shocked. But Mieun is a testament to your sister’s teachings and she’s skipping. You shake your head but this is in amusement and just like that, you’re feeling better.

With both of your meals taken back to your apartment as to go meals, Mieun is a bit sulky that you didn’t take her to a playground to enjoy the food. You have to promise to take her to the park later to make it up to her. And since ewYoohyuk aptly cut your afternoon plans short, you can take her to a park though not the park that’s close to your apartment. There are plenty of college kids in your neighborhood and you don’t want to deal with any interruptions male or female. Figuring it’s probably best to travel a distance to escape from that, you look up bus routes to get to a different park.

And you regret this plan almost as soon as you get there. You should have it up and gone to your local park. Dealing with complete strangers cooing over you or your niece would be highly preferable than what is in store for you at the park.

Because who do you see at the park with a soccer at his feet with his mom there?

 

I know better than to keep saying sorry all the time after every chapter but I am sorry. I mean, I have the story planned out and everything but mainly the major parts. It's getting to those points that I'm struggling with. Like always, I hope you're being safe and doing your duty for those around you. Love you all.