Chapter 13

Not You...

Surprise for you, my special reader.

 

His life became a routine.

It was the routine he had always craved when the potentiality first entered his mind: he could play soccer all day and all night.

Playing was actually his job. It was what paid for his food and bed. It was what got his family debt free and it was what sent his older sisters to school or back to school. It was what paid his nephew’s tuition to a private elementary school. It got his parents into an upgraded apartment building and was what paid off his sister’s remaining car payments.

All of these great merits simply due to his love for a sport. A sport leading to skills accumulated, cultivated and refined as he grew up with a soccer ball constantly at his feet. The very ball that became an extension of his body whether he was doing simple drills, running kilometers with or preparing for a goal driven kick.

But back to his routine, he woke up. In a dorm. Not a college one, no, this dorm was for the team that had picked him up after graduating from high school. The team that assisted in further polishing his entire athletic form.

After getting dressed in warm sports clothes, he went out running but only after stretching as that was a must for fear of a cramp that may mess up his routine for the rest of the day. Somedays he preferred to remain inside and run in the state of the art gym and weight room where there were plenty of treadmills. Other times, he went to the track. But today, he would be doing his morning run at the nearby park. It wasn’t the same park he would meet Her. He would be getting to that part later.

There were a few crazy people like him who ran this early in morning at the quiet park and he did feel a certain level of comradery with these people. They prioritized health, if anything, since he was pretty sure the majority of them weren’t professional athletes.

When he came back to the dorm when he felt he put enough distance in, he went to the cafeteria. He didn’t always shower after a run because none of these guys cared if he was sweaty much less the smell of it. They were probably just as sweaty as he was after their own work outs or runs of their own. And he would only be getting sweatier when he went to do weights. He would inhale a protein shake afterwards and then shower. That was all that composed of his mornings.

Afternoons were about individual practicing. That was when he would work on whatever he or anyone else felt he needed to work on. He would meet with certain people on certain fields where he would try to instill their professional input or insights about the way he played. He would eat lunch amidst this training up until it was time for dinner. That was when the team practices started. All of that testosterone would come together and he would be bruised one way or another. By the end of sunset, he would be treated with either a massage with a sports medicine masseuse or he could turn in early. But whatever choice he made, get a massage or not, he would always return back to his room.

It was only due to all of these trainings being beat into him did he realize how he had been doing so many things wrong. His balance was off. His kicking had to be adjusted. His heading was abysmal. But his passion made him conform to these standards. His sheer will got him through critique after critique and insult to insult. All of these things pushing and pushing him to be better.

It didn’t matter where the criticism was coming from, fellow players, coaches or his father, he was in this for himself more so than for them. He had no choice but to continue on this path unleashed at the tender age of seven or even dating as far back as the fateful day of his first birthday.

He would put his all into making sure he would continue to do this. He would make it to all of the practices he could and get into as many games as possible. He had to create a name for himself and he only had himself to rely on in achieving that. Despite soccer being a team sport, it was just as much as an individual sport. Especially in the pro leagues. He was almost there in getting to that point of certain level of perfection and it would be worth it.

And he will continue to pay what was due as much as his body will allow in order to continue living this life he has come to appreciate. But there was still that contingency, his health. He needed to take care of himself in order to take care of those he loves. If that meant expanding on his efforts and dedicating the majority of his time to this sport, then he will.

That didn’t make him a recluse, though in a sense it did. He still made the effort to see his parents, sisters and especially Hyunwoo whenever he was granted permission or given a break.

He would take his mom grocery shopping to get all that she and his dad needed at home when he made it to their apartment where they kept a room for him. He would do the same with each of his sisters and their needs, though he did draw the lines on what they designated ‘necessary.’ His mother was really the only one who could request the most asinine and useless things and he would get it for her with no questions asked.

Everyone else was on a budget, or to be more specific, they were given a certain allowance from him. Though his sisters, mostly Jieun, had argued about it he was firm about it and she was still the only one who continued to argue the limit. His father had been the one to end her squawking when he suggested that Leo cut her off and with that, the allowance limit was set.

Of course, his father had plainly spoken against giving his sisters an allowance in the first place but that was only because it was still odd for his son to be the one taking care of his entire family. His father admitted as much when the contract negotiations were brought into fruition and when he and his mom helped him move into the dorm. They, themselves, had been in the process of moving into the new apartment but they still wanted to be the ones to Leo to his new living quarters. While other parents were probably doing the same thing in college dorms, Leo was unique in his own kind. Instead of classes, he was attending practices. Instead of homework, he had to remain in peak physical condition.

As a result of his way of living, Leo had no problem in following schedules. He knew what was expected of him as far as his career goals and not to be given less priority, he knew what was also expected from him as a son, brother and uncle.

He even knew what to do as a friend. He was the one to send care packages to his friends throughout their duration on a military base. And he continues to do so for Ravi, Hongbin and Hyuk as they were still there. He catered these packages accordingly to their personalities and needs but always under the military restrictions and regulations that had to be undergone.

So, yes. He takes care of those who are important to him. He does all he can with the freedom that came at a cost, as his friends’ sacrifices and services made that real and evident that to him. There was no wonder as to how they all gained his utmost respect at a higher level that can ever bestowed on a person, save for his parents.

He knew all of this. Right down to his core. But that very core yearned for something else. And he had no idea on how to alleviate this need because there was only one solution, one person, who could put him out of this particular persistent misery.

And he shouldn’t be feeling miserable. He had gotten this far in achieving something not many people had the luck, persistence, ambition or mindset in reaching. That was all to his merit.

But that still wasn’t enough.

In his head, he figured that this was all he needed. He basically had it all. He was a good son, a good brother and a good friend. He was still trying to be a greater and better soccer player. And yet, there were things he failed at; he didn’t do his military service, he didn’t make new connections and probably worst of all, he couldn’t hold on to all of the rare connections he possessed.

His friends were the ones who did their best to alleviate these negative attributes against him. That was basically all they’ve been doing the last two years. Telling him it was okay. That maybe it hadn’t been the right time. That he still had his own life to live.

And he was living it dammit.

It was exactly as he had pictured it to be but things had changed. And the catalyst for such a need for that change was one person.

One girl.

One Choi Mikyung.

~~~~~

He had a game this weekend and it was in a neighboring district and he was a little sad about that. As much as the other guys complained about the traveling distance, he liked the away games a bit more when they were in other provinces. The team bus was actually pretty comfortable and he had no problems falling asleep in his seat.

There are some games when he is on the starting lineup and then there are others where he is on the bench. But lately, he had been consistently on the starting lineup which was a major feat to accomplish particularly for a rookie like him. And there was no way he would let such an honorable opportunity like this pass him by. He would run right into the beyond especially since this was it for him.

Because of his positive exploits, he was now in the running for rookie of the year. So he knew he was getting his name out there and there were benefits and consequences for the lack of anonymity he was recently experiencing.

Starting with the good things, he had been granted a bonus and if he held that rookie of the year trophy in his hands at the end of the champion league, then he should be expecting an even bigger bonus.

His mother had told him his father was constantly bragging about him which was a rare thing to be had but only when he had a good game. With his friends, he didn’t know if they were doing the same bragging with their new connections on their bases but at least he knew he had five very dedicated fans following his career even if he had a bad game. Even Hyunwoo was in contention of being his biggest and loud spoken fan if his sister’s words were to be believed. And he was investing in giving them more reasons to brag about him if they so choose.

Now as for the bad things, the lack of anonymity was the very thing he was having problems with. He wasn’t a talker. He didn’t like to interact with complete strangers. He didn’t like getting his pictures taken. Interviews were fine in a professional setting but nothing that was unnecessary. He didn’t like the pain in having to hide himself should he venture beyond his dorm, the center, fields, his team bus or on those shopping excursions he takes his mother on.

To basically put it, he didn’t like the famous life and there was nothing he could do about it unless he was willing to throw away a lifetime of work out the window. And who would do that? No one.

Thankfully, his team, coaches and PR’s knew this side of him. And they respected it so long as he continued to produce the desired results which was basically to keep helping the team continue on their winning streak. That was to be expected but that didn’t mean he had to like being a show dog for the media but he was still contracted to put up with his face being recognizable. So he would.

He would give out autographs to anyone who asked. He would thank them for their support. He would give a simple pose should they ask for a picture. He would hand out high fives like it was candy should a hand be presented to him for such a thing. He wouldn’t forget to wave to the fans who came to watch him play and he would introduce himself to whoever the coaches or teammates felt like he should know. Except the women.

Now that was an issue for him. It was one of the reasons why he felt a barrier with a few men who loved women a little too much, teammates or not. He refused to dabble in anything that didn’t have to deal with his career and family. Any outside influences beyond the ones he already established were unwelcomed.

And it was all because he had fallen in love with one girl. That one taste from her very essence would never vacate him, he was well aware of her bewitchment. She would always be there, not for him right now physically, but for his sanity mentally and emotionally. He would never take what he had/has with her lightly again. He did once and that led to her being out of his life.

He had already decided that she would be the only one for him. Come high or low tides, he was still working for her just like high school but now that he lived and continues to live a life without her, he knew he wouldn’t be able to form anything akin to a relationship with another woman. Pretty big words but if he could achieve his dream getting this far, he wouldn’t give up on her either.

Another thing his teammates about. They all knew, or had some idea, that he was hung up on someone. They didn’t have to ask anyone and no one had to tell them so. As they put it, it was written all over him. From his expression to his body language when the more brave and confident girls would approach him, it was all there laid out for them and anyone who studied him enough to see.

And the fact that the ‘ice man,’ the ‘soccer playing AI’ or the ‘blank paper,’ had ever felt any love beyond that of the love of the sport made the teasing and hounding more prevalent. But he didn’t care what those people said. He didn’t have to explain how he felt and continue to feels. The only ones who understood were few and far between and as a result, they were the ones he interacted with the most. But the only thing was that those guys who did have a semblance of understanding his standoffish demeanor were married and much older than him or they had been there when he lost her.

Those guys only told him that it was youth and the nature of their job that made his other teammates like that, womanizing or sleeping around. They also told him that what he has/had would both be a gift and a curse because no one forgot their first love. That was reassuring yet foreboding.

~~~~~

The senior players liked to make fun of him but only about his personality and lack of life outside of the sport.

He didn’t eat out as he much preferred the company cafeteria where all of his nutritious and dietary needs were met in a controlled environment. He only made the exception of his mother’s food and times he met up with N and/or Ken.

He had only survived going clubbing twice and that was only because he had been pressured into going both times due to the older teammates. Those two incidents ended up with him as an unassuming figure in the café next door having deserted his teammates in their plethora version of fun but torture for him.

Hell, the last movie he had seen was when N had been about to enter the military as some sort of last hoorah of his friend’s limited freedom. The last time he had gone bowling was just before it was Ken’s turn to go. Hongbin and Ravi went at the same time and that was the last hiking trip he went on. Hyuk had gotten alone time with him and they went to the beach (the last time he had gone there) where he spent the majority of the trip comforting the youngest that his life wasn’t over.

But there was an upside to these forlorn experiences. Because the last time he went to karaoke was when N came out of his service whose hair was still growing out and he had been hiding such a fact with a beanie. And when Ken was due to come out, Leo planned a trip to an amusement park for the three of them. When Hongbin and Ravi both got out, Leo had further plans in going to Jeju Island with them all. And when all of his friends were together and reunited once more, it would be on an international plane to wherever the hell they wanted to go.

It would be his treat to them for going through something he didn’t know anything about.

It was an experience of his that was like some kind of bet. There was the possibility he may never have to go into the military should he and his team win at least a bronze medal at an international competition with enough prestige. Like say, the Olympics or the Asian Games.

But he wasn’t playing to receive a ‘get-out-of-service’ card. He was playing for his family and his friends. But especially for Her.

That was absolute.

~~~~~~

Suho had been the one to tell him what was going on. And that was the astonishing thing about it. Not the fact that Suho had been the one to tell him but that he had news of what she was doing out there. She was simply doing her own thing like he was trying to do on his own.

It was a break from his routine pining. But the pining before news of her doings was different as it had been based on unclear illusions, wary futures not at all set and worst of all, fading memories. Those had constructed fantasies and ‘what if’ scenarios that plagued his every thought and dream.

Now his pining had become a little more concrete, a little less abstract and a lot more specific tuned to what little information Suho bestowed upon him. Such as what he would have done when she went to her five classes. Would he walk her to her classes whenever he had the time? What other cafes he could have joined her at. He would know her campus just as well as she did, maybe even better for the more secluded locations he could hide as well as escape routes should someone recognize him.

And what really got to him was that he could still do all of that.

The fact that a plausible and believable possibility now existed did more for him and his passion for life. That he could hold her once again, that he could be a familiar addition to her life once again was excruciating and exhilarating. But the biggest difference compared to now and when he last saw her was that he had progressed to become a better person for her much like he had developed to become a better soccer player.

He now knew what he wanted. Not knowing had been the biggest factor in their breakup. The uncertainty of what would come to happen after high school scared him just as much as it probably scared her, if not more. There had been a lot riding on every second of his time in his third year.

Scouts had become a constant presence at his games and for that season, he’ll be honest and say that he had been more conscious of playing for them than he ever had for her. That had been a reality check for him because as his time became embroiled with his prospective future, his time with her dwindled down to just a few lunches when he wasn’t out on a field practicing on his own. Then that precious valuable time soon became no time.

There had been pressures surrounding him from all sides.

His father had been riding on him to do more. To practice more. To be on the field more. To focus on his goals more. To play with more aggression. Run a few more kilometers. Eat more for more energy. Same with sleep. Study a bit more for a while. Watch more soccer games. He also told him to do things less frequently. Don’t go to the movies. Don’t eat out too much. Don’t go to computer cafés. Don’t spend so much time playing computer/video games. Just spend a little less time with his friends. Limit his time with her. Don’t go to her games. No more academies. No more free weekends.

It basically became restrictions and more restrictions. His father was a constant presence in his life more than it had ever been.

And his stupid sisters didn’t help. They were a more moderate version of their father as far as telling him what he should and should not do. Whatever their father said, they repeated it though in their own way. Soomi had been giving nudges or leading him on to what he should be doing. Jieun was ever the direct one and ordered him to do that stuff. Jihee, on the other hand, only gave him reminders much like his mother.

It was driving him mad and the only solace he could find was in his time with his friends but especially with her. And they, his family, were very restrictive in that.

Had it not been anyone but his father pushing him, he would not have listened or obeyed the commands. But he was a dutiful son who shared the same dream as his father. So he did as instructed. And it had been well worth it seeing at how far he has come but with devastating results on the other side of the coin.

His friends were adamant in their encouragement and support but there were times that even that had fluctuated. They had never been more concerned about him then than any other time in his life. They’d been nervous about how much of himself he had been dedicating to his dream. They knew more than anyone just how much it meant for him to make it. They stood by him though their positions were often spread apart from the point he was spearheading.

They knew of his aspirations. They were there when he was the one to teach them about his sport. They were there when he joined the elementary, middle school and high school teams. They encouraged him when he was initiated into the national junior league team.

They knew how much it meant to him.

They also knew how much she meant to him. Better than his family could ever hope, much less try, to understand.

Which was why his five friends had fidgeted in their initial positions right next to him.

They had been just as confused and uncertain about the course of events but for different reasons. They had spent a lifetime dealing with his fanaticism about the sport but they were still surprised in how he prioritized certain aspects in his life. They were astonished that he ended up choosing one love over another. Each of his friends had been beyond shocked about what he ended up giving up. Some more so than others.

That was when they started moving or shifting in their spots.

Because she was behind him.

At one point she had been on the horizon in front of him. The destination that he didn’t know existed but the one he had come to desire as much as his initial momentum propelled him to his dream. She was there and he had moved toward her. But with her secured, he regained his drive and she held on to him until that grip started to slip.

She wanted to go.

And once again she was on the very brink of existence. Well beyond the horizon he had discovered her in.

Now his friends were spread out. Certain ones to his back trailing behind and others standing close to him. But he knew they were all facing him. Because they made their decisions too.

And here was a chance to change those results to something favorable. To get back what he had to sacrifice but that was the thing. He knew she hadn’t even wanted to be the sacrifice. There was not a period of time that went by did he not think of what he could have done differently so she could have stayed by his side. So she could have wanted to stay by him.

It would to use Suho, a valued friend, like this but she was definitely worth it. Yet, that brought problems and complications. And it was his fault of his own doings.

He had forbidden his friends from ever mentioning what he lost/gave up. He had been very adamant about that. Why? His stupid pride and undying wishes. He had stupidly thought they would get back together just like that. Probably after a team had secured him as a recruit. He had expected her to wait around until he had gotten what he wanted the most at the time. But negotiations had run a long time with his parents even going as far as hiring a lawyer. Such legal representation had made him naively excited because his dream was becoming a reality one thing at a time. He was that much closer in getting what he wanted.

He desperately wanted to tell her and share with her all that was happening but she had broken up with him at that stage. It was only until the day before graduation did it all finally become official; he was now under a professional league team and everything he had worked so hard for had become true. He could finally tell her.

But nothing.

It didn’t work.

They didn’t get back together.

And she didn’t know.

He didn’t even know.

And that was how he ended up with the way things were. He was a star professional soccer player. And he was broken.

Suho was the chance to change that. To mend things that needed, desperately needed, mending.

~~~~~~

Life didn’t work that way. Things didn’t fall into place based off of a half-cocked plan that had too much riding on it.

But fate had a way of speeding things along. Because he found her. Or she found him. Well, he had seen her first. From far away. He could pick her out of the foot traffic that was swarming the park today. At first, he couldn’t believe his luck. Not even his eyes could believe it but there she was.

And then his body was already on its way to her. It was with deaf ears, focused eyes and a one track mind did he find himself placing his body in her path.

He took her in. And she was perfect.

Her hair was up in the same style of ponytail but she lacked the bangs that framed her delicate face. Her eyes were wide with surprise and he knew that look would fade but what it would fade into, he had no idea. And that anticipated transformation was dire because depending on her next reaction, things were going to change. And how he wished, hoped, desired it to be a good one.

She was walking to him and his spirits lifted with each step she took to get to him. Then they plummeted as she brushed by him and with those steps leaving, he felt his heart thudding at a rapid pace. If it were possible, it felt like it was beating backwards with each step she was taking away from him.

This was their first meeting since her last words to him and she was walking away.

No.

Before he made the conscious decision, his feet were once again leading him after her. He watched as the light breeze was made visible with each strand of her hair floating for brief seconds. The strands that escaped their holdings were longer and he had the utmost confidence that should all of her hair drape around her, it would exceed the vision of his memories. It was a treasure to see and have in front of him once again.

The sunlight bounced off her body’s form from behind clearly illuminating and outlining every part of her he always basked in but he felt the regret in not seeing her full front once more. And he understood why she was walking away from him, and therefore depriving him of her full beauty.

She was such a beauty to behold. His memory didn’t do reality justice for which he was ashamed of but fortunate to even be able to realize it for himself.

Damn those fading memories.

When she started running it took him off guard. He had been so taken with her once again especially having her so near after such a destitute amount of time that his mind went to autopilot. It wasn’t his first time at this particular park so he had a good idea of the layout and his feet once again led him to where he needed to go.

He only had to wait for a short while before she was jogging to him. She was frowning and the familiarity hit him once again. He didn’t mean to be a guy living in nostalgia but her very presence brought it out of him.

She came to a stop and he didn’t have the presence of mind to do anything but watch her. See her eyes blink at him. See the air being pulled into her as she regained her breath. He wasn’t capable of many things at the moment. His body wasn’t. And yet, his thoughts were flying all over the place. To the way she stood there. A distance that was understandable but still detestable between them. The breeze was still bringing her hair to life and it gave her prone form motion. She stood there in her sweats and long sleeved shirt just like him but her attire was brighter in comparison to his darker hues.

Damn, it took him back. She could be waiting for him outside the gym, any gym a game of hers would be held at. Welcoming him to her realm.

“You’ve worked hard.”

She was so close. He could now see her eyes so clearly and he finally noticed they were standing closer to each other. He didn’t know who moved first but he felt a certain peace within him settle into his heart but once again, it lasted until he felt her sidling past him until she was walking away once again.

He didn’t notice he was staring at the ground until she was walking by. And it was only then he registered her words. ‘You’ve worked hard.’

Has he really? Up until now he had prided himself in doing just that. But now, it didn’t seem like he’s worked hard enough.

But she noticed.

She noticed.

Was she keeping up with him? Had she been following him? Was she still looking at him?

Or was she just saying those words and not meaning them? Her tone. He couldn’t tell anything by her tone.

And she was leaving.

“Stop.”

Still moving away, he knew he could never control her. But he genuinely believed that they had been brought back together for a reason. They were together once more. And she couldn’t just leave.

There was no doubt he would be reduced to pleading her to stay. Because she can’t be exiting his life once more like this. Not again.

A call from a different reality pulled him from the way his mind that was scrambling for an excuse, no, a reason for her to stay. His need for her reignited in flames that had long since become dormant and dim but became blazing once again. Despite this, he still tore his eyes away from her and looked down at his ringing phone.

Things had changed for him. That became clear when he checked his phone. The caller ID said it was his PR. Who was most likely doing damage control now since he had disappeared on him from the event he should be at right now. An event specifically meant for the charity of an orphanage.

Yeah, he was a real scumbag.

There was very little in this world that would make him do the thing he just did. Like ditch orphans.

And not to mention he brought up Mieun, the ultimate chip he should never use against her but he was desperate.

But there was only one presence that could cause him to forget every single thing, every responsibility, every warning or threat to his way of living. There was one person who was capable of hijacking his sanity. And she was walking away now.

Why?

Now, that was the real question. It was the one thing he wanted to know. It was a question that left him as she attempted to escape. Why didn’t they fight harder for each other? Why did they let two years pass? Why was she here? Simply, why?

“Where are you Leo?” the PR demanded.

“Leo!”

“Yo Leo!”

He dropped his phone.

And she was getting into a cab. He was going to chase her. He was going to follow her. He was going to talk to her.

Arms wrapped themselves around him just as he was a couple of meters into the road and dragging him back.

“You crazy bastard!” Ken yelled into his ear.

“Leo! What’s wrong?” N asked in concern. After all, who runs into traffic?

He kept his eyes on the cab as it got into the turning lane. Once it was out of sight, it was over.

He fought against his friends hold on him. Completely fulfilling a replica of the times they had to hold him back when he was about to attack someone. Someone who was getting in his way of getting to her.

He could run to the intersection. He could cut across the road. He just had to follow the cab to the next street so he knows what direction it was going. He wanted, needed, had to have, will have her.

“Leo?!” They fought as aggressively in restraining him as he was of escaping them.

“No!” he cried out as the cab disappeared.

“Leo?”

“Hey! LEO!” Ken shouted.

He thought about still running after the cab but adrenaline he had never felt before was draining. It was a different kind of rush he experienced compared to the ones he often felt during a game. It was so different. So weary and heavy.

He sunk down to his knees.

“Leo? Wha-?” N kneeled down next to him.

And then his phone was ringing.

“Uh, Leo?” Both of his friends’ eyes on him were a physical thing. He felt it and he couldn’t help but bask in it. But that realization made him think of her. In that cab by herself.

He tried to get up but his legs weren’t having it.

“What the hell?”

They were worried. There was also a touch of fear.

“Leo?”

And then he got his bearings. He stood up and grabbed his phone that was in Ken’s hand while walking back through the entrance of the park. He immediately called his PR and told him he was on his way back all the while his two utterly bewildered friends called out after him while trailing behind. As soon as he ended that call, he was already looking for one contact in particular.

Suho. His lifeline.

~~~~~

He couldn’t think of much else besides her. Her very being that was so close. Her warmth had brushed against him when she walked by him and he wished he had not just stood there like a complete inept idiot.

Because Jung Taekwoon was not inept. He was a lot of things but he wasn’t that. The fact he was living his dreams was enough support of that claim.

He was once again in that routine of his, running in the early morning and thinking of her but now he has fresh memories. He saw her. He felt her presence. He still had it bad.

Her hair had grown so long. The wisps still floating in the light breeze of that day forever engraved in his mind. He had always loved her hair. Just as much as he loved her hands. He had only glimpsed those soft hands hiding in the folds of her arms as she kept them crossed but he knew without a doubt that he wanted to feel them again. Just as much as he wanted to run his hands through her hair again. That weight of the collective strands was one he enjoyed untangling whenever she let him amuse himself with her hair. Such times were in a special place within him that were only brought into clarity by their encounter.

He didn’t know why he was so fixated on her hair.

And then it came to him. He had not been gifted a clear view of her eyes. Of course he had stared into them but he could only recall them from a distance. That dreaded distance.

But now there was a bridge with the builder named Kim Junmyeon, also known as Suho. It was already decided he had no qualms using his friend in such a manner, any reserves be damned. She had found a place in his life again, whether she knew it or not. He just had to do something about that.

He had to talk to her.

He had to tell her things. Inform her of his reasons, no matter how inane they may be now. No matter the repercussions.

He just wanted to see her again.

That’s all he wanted.