Baba and Appa

A Hundred Pages

Kyungsoo loves his Baba lots.

 

Well, Appa does cook better than Baba, but Appa was not tall.

 

Appa was really short, like Santa's elves, and Baba was really tall. He was like the Big Friendly Giant.

 

Kyungsoo giggled. The only difference between the Big Friendly Giant and his Baba was that Baba is handsome.

 

“The one with the red lid, buddy.” His Baba told him and little Kyungsoo nodded his head hastily, scanning the array of various colors at the top shelf. Finally spotting the one with the red lid, he reached out and grasped the jar. Upon touching it, he frowned.

 

“Baba, it's glass.” He told his Baba worriedly, glancing down from where he sat on Yifan's shoulders. 

 

“That's fine, bud. Just handle it carefully and I'll get it.”

 

Kyungsoo trusted his Baba. He really did. But Baba tended to be very clumsy, and Appa always referred to him as a "klutz".

 

“No. You'll drop it and the guards will take you!” Kyungsoo pouted and crossed his arms over his small chest.

 

“Soo, Baba will take care of it. Now come on, buddy. We don't have all day.” Yifan encouraged. Kyungsoo didn't even budge.

 

“No, Baba. Let's wait for Appa.” 

 

“Soo...” 

 

“No.” Yifan sighed in defeat. He can convince his son to do almost everything, but the kid could be as stubborn as Junmyeon, despite him not having any of their genes.

 

“I'll buy you ice cream.” Yifan tried once more. 

 

Kyungsoo bit his lip. Ice cream is great... 

 

But if the glass falls down then the Evil Guards will take his Baba and he won't see his Baba anymore. The boy huffed and straightened up.

 

“Appa can buy me ice cream.” 

 

“Fine.” 

 

Sure enough, a few minutes later, Junmyeon arrived with a cart of his own, filled with meat, veggies (Kyungsoo gagged), and chicken nuggets for him and his Baba. Only then did Kyungsoo grasp the jar of mayo very tightly and carefully, and proceeded handing it down to his Appa, who, as he had expected, handled it a hundred times better than his Baba ever will.

 

He stayed on perched still on his Baba's shoulders, feeling like he was on top of the world. But drowsiness started consuming his system, so he made grabby hands towards his Appa.

 

“Appa... I'm tired...” He yawned.

 

Junmyeon quickly put the bags of groceries down the trunk of their car and closed it shut, walking towards his husband who gently brought their son down to his Appa's warm embrace.

 

Kyungsoo sighed contentedly as he buried his head on his Appa's neck, eyes falling shut almost immediately. Junmyeon rubbed his small back.

 

Kyungsoo loved his Appa lots. Even if he was really short.

 

Well, Kyungsoo loved them both lots. Because they were Appa and Baba.

 

20 years later...

 

Kyungsoo released a shaky breath as a warm hand held his trembling ones.

 

Hot tears came pouring down his face, making his lover pull him in a close embrace. Jongin didn't even care if his favourite shirt got wet.

 

They remained like that for long, locked in Jongin's arms, his beloved parents' tombstone staring back at them.

 

 

***

 

I command you not to kill me.