Ready?

A Hundred Pages

 

Even when they were still seven, Junmyeon had always been the human embodiment of all things good. It's either one falls for his warmth too quickly, or hates him for having so many people who love him. Kim Junmyeon had always been like that, even after twenty years.

Yifan smiled fondly at one of their old photos. It was one of his favourites. It was the summer of 1999 when Junmyeon had his front tooth off and Yifan had laughed at him.  The former became all grumpy and refused to speak to his best friend until Yifan made a mistake of biting into his melting chocolate bar and the sweet got smeared on his own front teeth, making it look like he was toothless. Yifan's ears had flushed but it was all worth it as he saw yet another one of Junmyeon's infamous grin that made the shining sun hide in shame. They were thankful that Mrs. Kim was there to capture the moment.

Yifan moved to the next page, and this time, it was one of when they were sixteen. Oh, their hairstyles were horrifying! They were at their “emo phase”. Long, jet-black hair that was sweeped over the side of their face with matching black tops and various skulls printed all over it. At the time, they thought they were already so cool, but now, Yifan would let himself be swallowed by the ground if someone saw him like that.

Just as he was about to turn to another page, his smartphone vibrated in his pocket. He took it out and saw a text from none other than the object of his affections.

Junmonkey

I'm hungry 😩 take me out to that new chicken place in town pleeeaaase~ <3

Of course, while Junmyeon took care of everyone else, Yifan would be Junmyeon's babysitter.

He smiled, feeling his heart consumed by warmth.

Anything for Junmyeon.

This will hopefully distract him.

*
“What? Is there something on my face?” Junmyeon raised a hand to his face and searched for whatever it was that made Yifan gaze at him for quite a while.

“Nothing, nothing.” Junmyeon shrugged. He resumes on gobbling on his third piece of seasoned chicken.

God, he is so adorable.

Yifan never liked chicken. But Junmyeon made it look like it was the best thing that God had created.

He bites his lip, suppressing the grin that threatened to break out on his face. Junmyeon's bloated face made his pink cheeks rounder and Yifan would be lying if he said that it didn't make him fall for the man harder.

Suddenly, Junmyeon paused. There was still food in his mouth. He made a sound to attract Yifan's attention (as if he didn't have it all) and raised his chin.

Oh.

The chicken's juices dripped down his chin.

Yifan shook his head lightly and grabbed some tissue, wiping the offending liquid away. Junmyeon hummed happily and resumed his feast.

Damn.

*
“That was amazing!” Junmyeon announced after a loud burp that filled Yifan's nostril with the smell of chicken and soy sauce.

“Obviously.” Yifan mumbled. Then he had to control his heart as Junmyeon's pink lips widened to a huge smile that, until now, puts the sun out of business.

“I love you!”

Yifan was sure he was in heaven.

Then his bubble popped rather harshly as Junmyeon's phone rang.

“Hello? Oh, okay!”

Yifan stood, alarmed. He also had to go!

*

It had been hours since Yifan and Junmyeon had lunch at that restaurant. In fact, it is already past six. Yifan ran his eyes across the now decorated backyard of Junmyeon's house. The paperback maple trees were now adorned with mini lights that shined warm yellow. There were round tables around, all draped in white silk, each with a single rose in a vase in the middle.

It was all very simple, but quite breathtaking.

Yifan's heart hammered in his chest. He didn't know if he was actually ready yet.

He tried not to crush the small, red box in his pocket.

He knew that if what he feared happened, then still, he would respect and be happy with Junmyeon's decision.

Just then, as everyone (their friends) had just started to gather around, the one man they were waiting for, arrived.

Dear lord.

His heart threatend to burst out from his chest. Oh, Junmyeon was so beautiful. He was only wearing a simple white button up and black pants, but the way that the lights shone on him made him look like an angel. His eyes twinkled and a smile graced his lips as he took in the simple yet gorgeous venue.

Yifan asks himself, can I do this?

And the answer is yes, he can.

Luhan, their colleague, steps out from their little circle and takes a step toward Junmyeon.

Yifan was ready.

He is so darn ready.

Junmyeon's eyes fill with tears as he looks at Luhan. The older then gets down on one knee and takes out a small, black box.

Yifan can do this...

“Kim Junmyeon, will you marry me?”

Anything for Junmyeon.

“Yes! Oh god, Luhan, yes!”

For his best friend's happiness. 

He holds his tears, he holds himself back from crumbling.

No. He will only break down after handing the necklace he bought for the love of his life.

 

*

 

 

 

please tell me what yall think