Chapter 7

A Pack's Story

It was in the middle of their trip to Chicago when they decided to stop and let the truck's engine cool down at a rest stop. Kino and Shinwon went to the bathroom while Jinho went to get some snacks from the vending machine. They then met at the truck, moving the trunk lid down and sitting down on it to people watch.

"How many more hours do you think?" Asked Kino. "About 4 more hours," said Jinho as he drank some coffee. "It's different, being a different pack," he said. "We've been with them for so long," agreed Kino as he hummed. "We'll make it," said Shinwon. "We have to right?" Asked Kino. "I mean, I don't want to go back saying we chickened out," he said. "That would leave a wound in our pride yeah," said Jinho.

"Well, we have two different cities to scope out," said Kino as he hopped down. "Yes we do," Jinho said, sighing as he hopped down before grabbing his coffee. "We can't stay for 5 more minutes?" Asked Shinwon. "We are, I'm just going to the trails for a bit," said Jinho. "I'm checking the truck," said Kino as he went to do so. Shinwon hummed as Jinho left, going for a small walk.

Jinho looked up at the sky once he was far enough away. "Man," he said. "This is stupid," he grumbled, going to walk along the walking trail for a little bit. "I'm not having any second thoughts but," he said, sighing a bit as he walked around. "I wish things were easier, those two need me," he said. "We'll see what happens when we get there I guess," he mumbled.

"He's been gone a while," said Shinwon as he hopped down and closed the trunk lid before walking over to Kino. "I guess," said Kino as he closed the hood, turning to Shinwon. "He's second guessing himself," he said. "I know," said Shinwon. "It really worries me," he said. "The best we can do is support him," said Kino. "I would've become alpha in a heartbeat but you saw what happened when we tried," he said, scratching the back of his head. Shinwon hummed.

They both turned when Jinho came back with his hands in his pockets. "Ready to go?" Asked Kino. Jinho nodded. "I'm sorry," he said. "It's alright," said Kino as he gave Jinho a hug. "You're doing great alright?" He asked. "Don't think that even though Shinwon and I are mates we don't need a leader," he said, moving away. Shinwon gave Jinho a hug before bringing Kino into said hug before Kino got jealous. "We're here for you, even if you are the third wheel," Shinwon said with a snicker before moving away and keeping an arm around Kino.

"You've kept your cool with us, you're patient as hell with us, and you speak with enough authority to get us to listen," said Kino. "If Hui wasn't alpha, you can bet our truck that you would've become the alpha," he said. Jinho nodded. "I know there's always going to be doubt," said Kino as he looked away. "Especially after everything but we're here for you alright?" He asked, turning back to Jinho. "Thank you," said Jinho as he smiled. "Let's continue on our journey shall we?" Asked Kino as he grinned. "Yes, lets," said Jinho and they got into the truck, with Shinwon deciding to drive the rest of the way.

When they reached the Chicago safe house they found another car parked in front of the building. "Oh, isn't that?" Asked Kino. "Hui's old car?" Asked Shinwon. "He gave it to Jaehwan and their pack," he said. "Right?" He asked. "Yeah," said Kino as he got out. They headed into the house after knocking to make sure their presence was known.

"Oh, it's you three," said Jaehwan when they found him. "Yeah," said Jinho. "We're only here for a few days but we're planning on taking Chicago or Detroit as our territory," he said. "Huh, interesting," said Jaehwan as he nodded. "Zuho's hunting, Seongwoo and Jihoon are getting their missions done," he said.

"Wait," said Kino. "You're the main alpha of your pack?" He asked. Jaehwan nodded. "Ah crap," said Jinho as he sighed. "I'm main alpha here," he said. "I'm sure we'll manage a day right?" Asked Jaehwan. "I'm literally only here for another day then I'm heading back to Boston," he said. "I think we can manage that," said Jinho.

"And Chani's wanting to see his best friend again so next time you have free time head to Toronto will you?" Asked Kino. "Can't guarantee free time, but we'll make our way up there on the way back to Boston," said Jaehwan as he scratched the back of his head.

"Which rooms are free?" Asked Jinho. "First 2 on the left on the second floor," said Jaehwan. "We have more than just us for today, Cory, Sunggyu and Jisung are here," he said. "Oh, cool a room to Jinho and a room to Shinwon and I," said Kino.

"Oh, you two are mates, that makes this less awkward," Jaehwan said, chuckling slightly as he scratched the back of his head in embarrassment. Kino laughs. "It's not obvious is it?" He asked. "No," said Jaehwan as he chuckled some. "Well, alright, come on I ordered pizza," he said, heading into the livingroom. Kino, Shinwon and Jinho followed after him, getting some pizza before sitting down to watch a movie.

The others returned a few hours later, noticing the new faces. "Oh!" Said Sunggyu. "You were with Hui and Chani?" He asked Kino. "Yeah, but we left for a bit to find our own territory," said Kino. "How's Jaemin?" Asked Jisung. "Just fine," said Kino. "We'll visit them after your missions are done," said Cory. "That'd be nice," said Sunggyu as he scratched the back of his head.

"Two main alphas in one house is not going to do us much good," said Seongwoo. "Yeah, well," said Jaehwan as he sighed. "We'll be leaving tomorrow," he said. "I'm positive we won't tear each other to pieces until then," he said. "Good," said Kino. "I quite like having Jinho not in pieces," he said. Jinho snorts. "I'm not the fighter here, if anything," he said.