Chapter 3

A Pack's Story

The next day Jinho, Kino and Shinwon prepared to leave, with Yuto going with them since he had work. Kino would be driving first and then Jinho would take over as they headed back to the states. "It's going to be boring without you guys again," said Hoetaek as he met them outside while Kino was packing up the trunk of the truck. "Yeah, well," said Kino as he turned to Hoetaek. "Can always come visit when you get free time," he said, nodding.

"I haven't been back in the states in a long time," Hoetaek said, scratching the back of his head. "But I'm sure we'll come over for a little while," he said, nodding. "Maybe when that happens you won't be a walking target," Kino said, grinning. "Hey now," Hoetaek said, laughing some. "I'm actually thinking of dying my hair back to brown to be fair," he said, shrugging. "It'll look good on you," said Kino as he smiled softly. Hoetaek chuckled, nodding.

Shinwon came out with the rest of their things, Jinho and Yuto following behind him with cups of coffee in their hands. "Done?" Asked Jinho. "Yeah," said Kino as he took the bags from Shinwon and put them in the trunk, tying them down with the rest of their things before closing the trunk lid. "Have fun at work then," said Hoetaek as he put a hand on Yuto's shoulder. "Screw opening up the store by myself," Yuto said with a scowl, earning chuckles from everyone.

"We'll see you when we see you then," said Kino as he nodded. Hoetaek nodded. "Yeah," he said. Kino then did something unexpected, bringing Hoetaek into a hug. "You're doing great as the alpha alright? Don't let Changgu's death stop that," he whispered before moving away. Hoetaek looked surprised as he blinked. Kino grinned, before turning to Yuto and taking a coffee from him and getting in the driver's seat. Yuto got into the passenger seat and Shinwon and Jinho got in the back seat. Kino started the truck, waving to Hoetaek before driving off, heading towards Toronto.

"I know you guys are heading to the states but, at least stay and help before you go?" Asked Yuto as Kino drove. "I dunno, what's in it for us?" Asked Kino. "A scone for each of you?" Asked Yuto. "We'll help you set up but that's it," said Jinho. "Well, that's our final say in it then," said Shinwon. Yuto sighed. "Alright," he said.

Once there Kino and Shinwon went to help Yuto set up while Jinho went to make sure the tables were clean. It took an hour but after getting everything set up Yuto handed the three of them scones. "Ready?" Asked Jinho as he walked over to the open sign. "No but," Yuto said, sighing. "Let's do it," he said. Jinho nodded and the open sign. "Good luck then," said Kino. "I'll need it," said Yuto as he waved. Kino, Shinwon and Jinho soon left.

"So where are we going first?" Asked Kino. "Wanted to see if Changkhyun would be alright with us taking either Chicago or Detroit," said Jinho. "Ah, we're going to see a pack of werewolves," Kino said with a slight scowl. Jinho chuckled some. "Already contacted them, we're lucky they even agreed to meet in the first place," he said.

"I don't work very well with the werewolves," said Kino. "Don't do anything stupid will you?" Asked Shinwon. "This is our key to getting at least one of the parties to say yes," he said. "I know I know," said Kino as he sighed. "I'll behave, for now," he said.

"What's your deal with werewolves anyway?" Asked Shinwon. "It's just due to some bad experiences with some back before we met you," said Kino as he looked out the passenger side window. "I'll talk about it one of these days," he said.

"They're really running ragged," Jinho said suddenly. "Hongseok isn't as energetic as he used to be," agreed Kino. "Grief can really change a person, especially when everyone was close to the person who died," said Shinwon. "It'll never stop hurting," said Kino as he sighed. "But the best we can do is move on," he said. "I know, that sounds cruel but," he added, scratching the back of his head. "Sometimes we have to," agreed Jinho.

"What did they mean by you two kept the energy up anyway?" He asked. "It was rough," said Kino. "At least, in the months following the funeral," he said. "Yanan and Hyojung disappeared for a month, though the vampires assured us that they were fine, just needing time away in the forest," he said. "Chani and the others always went to find them after every hunt to make sure they were alive, since you know they were hit the hardest," he said.

"Hongseok did try and keep the atmosphere cheery," said Shinwon. "And in a way so did Jaemin, but Kino and I kept everyone going," he said. "The vampires were dealing with their own things, but they still went out of their way to convince Hyojung and Yanan to come back," he said.

"Hui took the alpha role seriously after that, after Chani threatened to kick us out," said Kino. "I think at that point even Sungyeol was on Chani's side of things," he said. "Yuto wasn't involved, since he's still human so he was allowed to stay if we all left," he said.

"So when you whispered those words...?" Asked Jinho. "He needed it," said Kino. "I know he needed some sort of comfort, he's had to handle everything by himself essentially after everything," he said. "Even during our visit I could tell how close he was to snapping," he said. "Sungyeol's trying to keep him above the water," said Shinwon. "But I think he can't do much because Chani told him not to," he said.

"What?" Asked Jinho. "Hui never found his mate in Sungyeol, Sungyeol was the one to find his mate in Hui," said Kino. "At least, that's what Sungyeol had explained when I asked," he said. "They've come to understand that," he said. "But who knows what'll happen when Hui finds his mate," he said.

After a few hours and getting passed the border into the states Shinwon switched spots with Jinho and continued driving to the werewolf territory. Jinho fell asleep in the back seat and Kino was left to keep him company in the passenger seat.