Chapter 18

A Pack's Story

The drive to Chicago wasn't easy, within the first few hours Kino was having the worst day since getting injected with the drug in the first place. He wasn't coughing up blood, something that everyone was relieved for but he was shivering from some sort of fever and clung to Shinwon in the backseat like a lifeline. Jinho had continued the drive with MJ keeping him company in the front seat. Sungwoon and Jinyoung switched seats to give Kino some more room, with Jinyoung sitting on the floor and Sungwoon sitting right up against the passenger side window to give Kino as much room as possible. At least Kino wasn't complaining of the pain. Yet.

It was silent, as they were somewhere outside of Cleveland, Ohio when Jinho stopped for gas. "Do you guys want anything?" He asked. "No," said MJ. "I'm fine," said Sungwoon and Jinyoung. "Just something cold," mumbled Kino as he sounded miserable. "I'm fine," said Shinwon. "Alright," said Jinho as he got out to go get a bottle of cold water and pay for the gas. He got back and handed Shinwon the bottle before going to fill up the gas tank. Shinwon got Kino to drink some of the cold water before taking a cloth and wetting it with the water and wiping the sweat off of Kino's forehead.

"5 more hours depending on traffic," said Jinho as he got back in the car after filling it up with gas. "5 more hours until we can see the home we want," said MJ. "5 more hours of this stupid fever it seems," mumbled Kino as he moved to sit in Shinwon's lap and lay his head on Shinwon's chest to listen to his heartbeat. "At least you're aware of it this time," said Jinho. Kino hummed. Jinho let out a deep sigh before starting the truck and continuing on their journey to Chicago.

When they got there Kino's fever finally decided to break, but his body was exhausted from fighting it for so long as he was asleep in Shinwon's lap. "Kino," Shinwon said softly. Kino whined as he didn't want to wake up. "We're here," said Shinwon. "Okay," mumbled Kino as he still didn't move. "Did we get the house?" He asked. "No, we're at the safe house for now," said Shinwon. Kino hummed, nodding into Shinwon's chest.

"Can you move?" Asked Shinwon. "No," said Kino. "I need to get up, can you try to?" Asked Shinwon. Kino hummed, moving with more effort than he'd like to admit and sat in the seat beside Shinwon. Shinwon got out and Kino scooted forward to jump slightly onto Shinwon's back once Shinwon said it was okay to. Shinwon adjusted Kino slightly before bringing him inside. The others went to help move their bags into the safe house.

"When are we going to see the house?" Asked Kino. "As soon as you're rested enough," said Shinwon. "We already have the house bought, we just have to move in," said MJ as Shinwon put Kino on the couch. "Cool," said Kino. "I wanna pick out our room," he said. Shinwon chuckled some. "Of course," he said. "Get some rest, I'll be here if you need me," he said. Kino grinned before letting the darkness consume him as he laid down on the couch, passing out immediately.

Everyone continued to unpack with Shinwon going to put a blanket over Kino and deciding to let him sleep before going into the kitchen to see if there was any food. MJ had joined him, unable to keep the worry off his face.

"What's wrong?" Asked Shinwon as he looked in the fridge. "Is it always like this?" Asked MJ. "From what I understand with what had happened to Changgu yes," said Shinwon. "I wasn't there for it but," he said, sighing a bit. "We just have to adjust to it," said Jinho as he walked into the kitchen with Sungwoon and Jinyoung following behind him. "It's the only thing we can do," agreed Shinwon. "Luckily this will be the last of the travelling for a long time," he said.

"While we were going through Indiana I got a text," said MJ as he spotted Sungwoon and Jinyoung. "Taehyun has agreed to meet us, when we move houses anyway," he said. "But Daehwi and Guanlin aren't looking to add anyone else to their duo of a pack," he said. Sungwoon nodded. Jinyoung sighed. "And where am I going to be then?" He asked. "I don't know," said Jinho. "I can always talk to Jaehwan but I don't know if he'll accept you," he said. Jinyoung hummed, nodding.

"And uh," said MJ. "We wouldn't have been able to take Detroit anyway, Taehyun and his pack have it," he said. "Really?" Asked Jinho. MJ nodded. "Apparently they've been there for a long time now," he said. "I guess they're not as public with their territories as the big 3 cities are," he said. "Ithaca, NYC and Boston?" Asked Jinho. MJ nodded. "Those three are more known because of who owns it but," he said, shrugging. "Hm," said Jinho.

Shinwon had moved Kino to a room after getting him to eat dinner, joining the sleeping Kino after taking a shower. Kino moved, clinging onto Shinwon as he felt his presence. Shinwon wrapped his arms around Kino, humming and falling asleep not long after.

MJ was in the room he was sharing with Jinho, waiting for Jinho as Jinho went to check on everyone to make sure they were comfortable. "It's going to be different," said MJ as Jinho came back into the room. Jinho turned to MJ as he closed the door. "Yeah, it is," he said, going to join him in bed, sitting beside him with a sigh.

"You're brave, for taking this on," said MJ. "Well, if Hui could do it what's saying I can't?" Asked Jinho as he shrugged. "I can't force Kino to take the cure, that'd ruin all trust he has for me and I don't want that when I've built it up for so many years," he said. "Shinwon can't force him either, that'd go against everything they've built up over the years," he said. "I guess," said MJ.

"I know you're scared, but we can do this," said Jinho as he gave MJ a hug. "We just have to support him as our youngest now," he said. "Ah, right he's the youngest now," said MJ. "Everyone has a soft spot for their youngest," he said, laughing softly. Jinho chuckled some, burying his face into MJ's shoulder.

"I'm scared," he admitted. "But we need to make this work," he said. "We will," said MJ. "And I'll be here every step of the way," he said. "Well, unless I get missions of course," he added. "Just come back safely from them alright?" Asked Jinho. "Always," said MJ. "I'll try to keep my missions local from now on," he said. Jinho hummed in response.