Chapter 13

A Pack's Story

The pack dynamic changed between Kino, Shinwon and Jinho once MJ came into their lives. Jinho didn't feel like the third wheel anymore, now knowing how Kino and Shinwon felt around each other despite their less than "normal" relationship. MJ and Kino clashed a good bit but it was all in friendly terms this time, their playful banter and jabs not going unnoticed by their respective mates. Even Moonbin and Sanha picked up on MJ's good mood, happy for the oldest in their pack.

"The only thing that makes this awkward as hell is that you two are literal twins," said Kino. "What?" Asked Jinho. "Your animal forms have the same color fur," said Shinwon as he chuckled some. "That does not mean that we're twins," said MJ as he shook his head. "Also, Jinho is short in human form but he's taller in his animal form, he must be overcompensating for something," Kino said with a snicker, earning a slap on the back of the head from a blushing Jinho. "Oi!" Said Jinho. "Stop using my catchphrase!" Kino said with a pout. "Stop making fun of my height then!" Said Jinho. "Your height is cute though," said MJ, causing Jinho to throw something at MJ. "Oh shut up you," Jinho said, pouting.

 

~



The next few days passed by quickly, and Kino started noticing another pack's presence, which had him tense. He wondered who the trackers were in Moonbin and Jaehyun's packs and if they picked up on the signs as he had.

First it had been Mark and Jisoo. They returned from a hunt with tense postures. It was well hidden but Kino could tell something was up. Then it was Seokwoo, who after Kino took him outside started growling at random things in the forest surrounding the house.

The only reason Kino didn't go after the feeling he had was that Seokwoo wasn't known for growling at just random things. Daniel and Jisoo had tuned Seokwoo carefully into the scents of their pack and wouldn't growl at anything unless it was a different scent. At least, an unknown scent.

Today Kino was out with Seokwoo again, after asking permission to take the pup for a walk. "I wonder how well you do with tracking," wondered Kino as he debated on whether to let go of the leash or not as they walked through the forest. Seokwoo was leading him, like usual, so Kino wasn't too worried about getting lost.

"I should've asked Shinwon or someone to come along, this is crazy," said Kino as he held onto the leash like a life line. The atmosphere had become tense, and he wondered if the border collie could feel it too. Who was he kidding, the way Seokwoo was keeping his nose to the ground and his posture was on the defensive meant he knew.

"I swear if something happens to the pup it won't be whoever is out here that'd end my life, no that'd be Jaehyun, mates be damned," mumbled Kino as Seokwoo stopped suddenly, almost causing Kino to trip over the dog. "What is it?" He asked as he looked around. Seokwoo started growling, and Kino took in his surroundings, keeping his ears open for something subtle.

"Seokwoo," said Kino as he put a hand on the dog's head. "Go home," he said. "Okay?" He asked. "I can't let you get hurt," he said. Seokwoo continued to growl. "Seokwoo," Kino warned. A whine escaped Seokwoo before he ran off, heading home. There, Kino heard the distinct sound of pawsteps quickly following after the dog. Kino rushed to get to whoever it was before they got Seokwoo.

A large wolf leaped at the dog but Kino was fast, launching himself right at the wolf as he changed, the momentum knocking them both away from the dog. Kino snarled at the wolf before him, as more pawsteps went after the dog.

Kino quickly turned as fast as his legs could allow as he leaped towards the other two wolves. He had to let Seokwoo get home. Seokwoo was his only chance of getting rescue as the larger of the three wolves converged on Kino, attacking him. Kino could only counter attack as much as possible and pray to whoever was out there that they'd get to him in time as the other two quickly converged on him, attacking as a group.

 

~



Seokwoo ran into the house barking madly, causing everyone to run downstairs. "What is it boy?" Asked Daniel as he bent in front of the dog who quieted at his master's presence. "Where's Kino?" Asked Shinwon.

"Who's a tracker?" Asked Jinho. "I think our friends from out west finally decided to do something," he said. "I am," said MJ. "You know I am," said Shinwon. "We can't have you go," said Jinho. "You'll compromise the mission," he said. "Jinho's right," said Moonbin. "Let the foxes go," said Jaehyun. "Their smaller size can get by pretty undetected," he said.

"Damn it," said Shinwon. "I am not about to let you not see my mate," he growled. "Shinwon," Jinho said firmly, not using his alpha's voice just yet. "If you go and they spot you it'd give them more of a reason to hurt Kino," he said. "I know, I want to go too but we need stealth right now, and our wolf forms can't provide that," he said.

"Go then," said Shinwon as he turned to MJ, Moonbin and Sanha. "But come back quickly, I want to get to him as quickly as possible," he said. "We won't be long," said Moonbin as he nodded. "Let's go," he said, turning to MJ and Sanha. MJ and Sanha nod before running out the door with Moonbin, changing and quickly going after Kino's scent with MJ leading the way.

 

~



Kino sat tied up against a tree in human form, his body sporting several bruises and cuts from his recent fight. "Now, who is trying to take Chicago?" Asked Jisung as he came into view. "Why should I tell you?" Spat Kino as he glared at Jisung. "Because," said Jisung as he held up a syringe. "I have this," he said. Kino continued to glare at Jisung though he struggled against his restraints now.

"You already feel the effects don't you?" Asked Jisung. "This could save you if you just tell me," he said. "I would rather take a bath in the deepest pits of hell," rasped Kino as he coughed up blood.