The Beginning to Something More

Derailed from the Original Path

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Sua questioned as she walked out of the building while holding Siyeon’s hand. Siyeon was wiping the stray tears that were still lingering in her eyes as she stayed silent knowing that if she said something Sua would know what is up. Sua was worried about Siyeon as she hated seeing her cry especially, she just got her to calm down from her jealousy. Siyeon only nodded her head as she was to afraid to speak to Sua. She gave her a small smile to Sua hoping that it was enough to ease her from prying into it even further. She didn't want to think about her soulmate at all. She wasn't ready to meet them at all and she didn't expect them to be in the same idol group as her. You have a twisted sense of humor world. You'll never let me truly be happy with the person who saved me huh. Siyeon cursed her fate as she didn’t want to lose the one person who she deeply cared for. The person who she gave her heart to without it getting it trampled on.

Yoohyeon was all distraught from the rejection from Siyeon as she didn’t know how much a heartache felt when she stared into Siyeon’s cold gaze and her harsh monotone voice cutting and carving into her chest. It made her weak in the knees as well as the overbearing pain that came with it. She was still in the middle of the hallway as Jiu found Yoohyeon motionless with her gaze was fixed on the ground.

“Hey, Yoohyeonie, are you okay?” Jiu asked worriedly as her caring nature hit in and wanted to take care of the person who seemed to be in need of help. Jiu grabbed Yoohyeon’s arm as she dragged her up from the ground and onto the bench. Yoohyeon didn’t say anything to Jiu as she couldn’t hear her surroundings. The pain in her chest was all she could focus on and how she ruined a relationship with her soulmate before anything started. Her mind was muddled with the good memories of what they used to have as she could clearly see the signs that Siyeon did in fact love her.

Flashback

“Singnie!” Yoohyeon raced down the hall as she was catching up to her best friend who couldn’t hear her once again as she was too busy listening to music. She decided to be a good best friend and jump onto her back while she wasn’t paying attention to her surroundings. Once she jumped onto Siyeon’s back, Siyeon didn’t have amazing reflexes so they both fell onto the floor. Everyone witnessed their fall but went back to their usual conversations as they didn’t concern themselves with the usual duo that caused a ruckus every once in a while. “I caught you, Singnie, now you have to sing for me.” Yoohyeon excitedly said as she knew how shy Siyeon was about singing in front of people. Siyeon was face planted on the ground as her ears were still blasting music from Baby metal, so she couldn’t hear Yoohyeon that well. She decided to turn around to see whoever decided to make her fall.

Once she did, she was faced with Yoohyeon’s bright and sparkly eyes that always gave away what she was feeling. She seemed really happy which made Siyeon’s heart skip a beat for giving her the idea that Yoohyeon might be really happy to see her until her earbuds were taken out of her ears and Yoohyeon repeated.

“I caught you, Singnie and you remember what happens when I catch you right.” You’ll always hold me dear and make sure you don’t abuse my love for you. Siyeon wanted to tell Yoohyeon but she couldn’t know that she had been repeatedly put into the friendzone by Yoohyeon.

“I have to sing for you right.” Siyeon said instead as she saw Yoohyeon’s smile grow and she jumped around like a little kid. Siyeon could only watch her with happiness as she knew for a fact that she was the one who put that smile on her face and she didn’t want it any other way. I would bury these feelings for you if it meant you staying by my side. Siyeon thought as she got off of the ground as Yoohyeon clung to Siyeon’s arm to make sure she wouldn’t run away like last time.

“That’s right, Singnie. You have to sing for me and only me this time though.” Yoohyeon said as she didn’t want anyone to hear Siyeon’s beautiful voice in the middle of the hallway that was infested with boys who are only interested in conquering girls, so they could boast it towards the other guys. She proceeded to drag Siyeon to her house as always since Siyeon didn’t have anything else to do.

Siyeon smiled to herself as she was having some sort of closeness with Yoohyeon. Her heart was racing all over the place while her mind began whispering to her that Yoohyeon's a girl. A girl who is straight and is someone she'll never reciprocate her love. Siyeon sighed knowing that she would be in a world of pain if she keeps bottling it up but what can she do. The world was a cold and cruel place that has too many expectations placed on people. An invisible set of rules that everyone follows without question. Having chains to enforce these beliefs that made everyone blinded at the fact that everyone is different in all kinds of ways. That going out of the social norms considers you an enemy of the world.

Yoohyeon looked at Siyeon who had a painful expression on her face while her eyes were visually telling her that Siyeon was thinking into something. She was hurt as she had seen this look on Siyeon too many times but when she asks what's wrong, Siyeon just shakes her head indicating to her that it's nothing. Siyeon whispered enough for Yoohyeon to hear.

“I’ll do anything for you, Yoohyeon.” Yoohyeon smiled at Siyeon’s words and began taking her to her room. Yoohyeon seated Siyeon down as she was grabbing them snacks since she knew she wouldn't pass up a chance to hear Siyeon sing. She was happily humming to herself as she prepared a light snack for Siyeon since she didn't like exercising. It had got to the point where Siyeon refused to eat for 3 days just so she can maintain her weight. Yoohyeon shook her head at Siyeon’s unhealthy habits of keeping her figure which she found no flaws in it whatsoever.

When she grabbed the snacks, she began going towards her room that's when she found Siyeon singing already. She hid herself as she didn’t want to disturb but an angelic blessing to her ears. Yoohyeon stood there for a couple of seconds until there was silence and that's when she decided to pop in and ask her to actually sing her a song. There she found Siyeon looking warmly at the multitudes of baby photos that were scattered along Yoohyeon's desk. For some reason just having Siyeon look at the younger version of her made her cheeks flushed in embarrassment as she set the tray down on the ground just to pull Siyeon away.

“W-what are you… d-doing?” Yoohyeon stuttered out as she could feel the heat rising to her ears and she thought that she might have steam coming out from the top of her head. Siyeon grabbed Yoohyeon's hand and smiled at her which gave her reassurance that nothing bad was going to happen.

“I was just looking at the baby Yoohyeon photos that seem to be scattered on your desk. Might I say Yoohyeon dressed up as a princess is definitely my favorite.” Siyeon added which didn't make the situation any better.

“Anyways, I believe you owe me a song.” Yoohyeon avoided the topic as she didn't like being embarrassed that much. Siyeon only laughed at Yoohyeon's childish antics whenever she faced something, she had no solution to. She shook her head and thought of the perfect song to sing to Yoohyeon.

“Okay, I want you to think deeply about this one okay.” Siyeon said seriously as Yoohyeon didn't know what to expect from Siyeon. Yoohyeon only nodded her head towards Siyeon as she wanted to hear Siyeon’s angelic voice and so she told herself that she would try and decipher the lyrics. “Okay… here goes.” Siyeon took in a deep breath and started singing.

“Ah” Siyeon held her note as she always did to make sure she had the right pitch in her voice to sing. She always managed to get the high notes however she wanted to go a little bit lower than her comfort zone as Yoohyeon was always praising her singing.

“If love truly makes you blind
Then I guess
There is no need (There is no need to see)
I'll trade my eyes
So you can see for me” Siyeon began as she had her eyes closed for the dramatic effect or it was just her getting into the feel of the song, while Yoohyeon began getting entrapped with Siyeon’s singing making everything else a blur to her. She loved how Siyeon’s voice always traps her in and never leaving her until the song was over.

“Lu… la la… Lu la… li la
Stay with me
You will never be sad” Ah, maybe Siyeon is going through a tough love. I wonder who it might be. Yoohyeon’s chest gave a little pang when Yoohyeon thought about Siyeon’s possible love interest in someone.
“I
I will embrace
Embrace your bubbles, your fluids
And keep you warm
Then
I will squeeze out
Squeeze out your germs, your spore, your viruses
I
I will embrace
Embrace your membranes, your bones
And keep you cool
Then
I will squeeze out
Squeeze out your evil, your grim and your woe” Yoohyeon was shocked at Siyeon’s wordings about what she would do towards her possible love. Wow, she would do anything for that person huh. I’m jealous. I wish I could have someone like that. Yoohyeon sadly thought as Siyeon started looking at Yoohyeon in the eyes as she had her right hand over her heart.
“Transform myself
Once and for all
Sink into the tub
Reborn
Reform
Twist my legs to one and mind to none
Tell me tell me
What do you see
In the mirror that's covered in chalky steam
Touch me touch me
Kiss me to sleep
Cut me open and give me gills
So I can breathe” Siyeon started humming as Yoohyeon was beginning to think that it wasn’t going to be a happy love story at all. She didn’t like how Siyeon was singing her such a sad song. She furrowed her eyebrows as she couldn’t think of the reason why the person is taking whoever Siyeon’s love affection might be for granted.
“With tweezers and nippers
Trim off my fins
And forever I'll be yours
I won't fight or make you cry
Whatever you need
Whenever you need
I'll be by your side” Siyeon sang with such raw emotion as she thought of all the things she would do just so Yoohyeon could be happy. She didn’t need such fancy stuff. All she wanted to do was remain by Yoohyeon’s side. What better way than to convey it to Yoohyeon in the best way possible. Her singing voice and usually Yoohyeon’s detective skills could show her how much she means to her. Yoohyeon however was captivated at how enticing Siyeon’s voice became when singing the song. All she wanted to do was wrap her arms around Siyeon and protect her from all the abuse she seems to be going through. She didn’t want her to be in any pain however what could she do with her just being the best friend. She usually looked up to Siyeon as she was the strong one in the friend group as she didn’t cry over small things like a broken nail or grumble too much about school She was always calm and collected so when Siyeon was singing the song to Yoohyeon she felt helpless in her situation as she didn’t know how to make Siyeon feel any better as her ached knowing that someone was only using her love for their own advantage.

 

“And then I gave you my eyes
To see all the colours
And then I gave you my ears
To hear all the sirens
And then I gave you my heart
To fill in the emptiness in your chest
And then I gave you my brain
So that you can learn to love” Siyeon emphasized as she pointed to the body parts that she sang to make it much more real. To have Yoohyeon feel what she could offer if she would just understand the depth of her love to her. Siyeon watched Yoohyeon’s facial expression and it told her everything. She didn’t understand what she was putting out there on the line. She knew she couldn’t stop there so she sang a portion of the last verse to have her understand her ignorant eyes from what she had just done.

“Tell me tell me
What do you see
In the water that's clinging onto my skin
Cut me cut me
Please make it deep
If I'm covered in scars
Will you look at me
Kiss me kiss me
Don't leave me be
I'm a bathtub mermaid
I cannot swim but only sing” Yoohyeon could only clap at Siyeon’s amazing emotions in the song while Yoohyeon’s heart was breaking. She didn’t understand why it was hurting so much to the point that a tear fell from her eyes. Siyeon saw the tear fall off and rushed to her side. “It’s okay, Yoohyeon, I didn’t mean to hurt you so much.” Siyeon said as she remembered that songs usually get to Yoohyeon the most. Yoohyeon clung to Siyeon and she didn’t want to leave her just yet.

“It’s okay, I just didn’t think you would add so much hurt and emotion into that song. You know me like the back of her hand.” Yoohyeon smiled as she wiped the tears off of her face as Siyeon was still looking at Yoohyeon all skeptical, but she let it go knowing that Yoohyeon wouldn’t lie to her about anything.

“Okay, now that I sang for you what do you want to do now?” Siyeon asked as she probably knew what was coming next. Yoohyeon smiled as she grabbed the tray and yelled out.

“We are going to have a movie marathon because we are finally finished exams.” Yoohyeon proudly said as Siyeon groaned knowing that it’s probably not going to be an Avengers marathon.

Present

“I ruined my chance with her.” Yoohyeon said dejectedly as she recalled the whole entire song was about her. She didn’t even notice the signs until Siyeon confessed to her and what did she do. She just distant herself off as well as bring everyone else to her side just so Siyeon would be all alone because she was different than them. She never once thought that she would like a girl let alone have a soulmate as a girl. What hurt more was that Siyeon changed so much that she no longer cared about soulmates. Yoohyeon looked up at Jiu who had concern and worry in her eyes. “I need your help, Jiu Unnie.” Jiu froze at Yoohyeon’s words as her words were weak and fragile. She could only nod hoping that she could see the bright and cheerful child that she shared dance classes with.

“Sure, what can I help you with?” Jiu said giving into her need to help those around her before herself. She cursed on the inside knowing that she wanted to have her soulmate back and rebuilt what she once broke down.

“I want you to date me.” Yoohyeon said without hesitation and Jiu could only frown at Yoohyeon’s words. She didn’t want to date Yoohyeon especially when her heart only belonged to Sua this entire time but before she could respond Yoohyeon added. “It’s fake dating, of course, sure I have a slight crush on you but that’s it. I want to be with Siyeon, and I know you want to be with your soulmate which is… Sua.” Yoohyeon said it with dissatisfaction as she didn’t like how she held both women’s hearts without even trying. Jiu noticed Yoohyeon’s tone of voice and glared at her for saying Sua’s name with such disgust.

“Don’t say her name like that.” Jiu frowned knowing that her friend that is usually fine with everyone no matter who they were, is now judging her soulmate over something she couldn’t understand. Yoohyeon didn’t want to argue with Jiu as she was too tired from Siyeon’s rejection to say anything back to her. “I’ll help you out though.” Jiu confirmed as Sua’s words echoed in her head telling her that their bond might break making them just friends. Jiu didn’t want to lose her soulmate not when she had just got her back. She knew that Sua might feel something for Jiu as she could still feel whatever Jiu’s feeling. She had that slight hope but there was an obstacle in the way and that’s Lee Siyeon. If their bond breaks, Siyeon might be her new soulmate if the world decides to put them together. There was too much at stake here as losing everything to Siyeon, but Jiu didn’t mind. All she wanted was a chance to get Sua back and if making her feelings for her resurface is the only way then so be it. “How are we going to do this?” Jiu said as Yoohyeon looked at Jiu in disbelief with her eyes wide open and ready to catch flies. “We don’t have all day here.” Jiu closed Yoohyeon’s mouth as she tried to get Yoohyeon out of her daze.

Meanwhile, Sua and Siyeon were on their way home as Siyeon continued to stay quiet and Sua didn’t say anything either, they were taking their time to go home as they held hands and held an awkward silence. Neither of them didn’t want to break the silence because there were so many questions floating around in the air that both of them didn’t want to confront just yet. Siyeon’s mind was swimming with mixed feelings as her encounter with her soulmate wasn’t the same kind of feeling as Sua described it. She wanted the whole problem to go away just as Sua did when she found Sua sleeping at odd times of the day.

Once, they were at home Siyeon told Sua that she was tired from all the new things that had happened today and went off to bed. Sua didn’t question it as she knew that if Siyeon really wanted to talk about what had happened then she’ll come around one day. Though her heart was also in pain knowing that she had hurt Jiu in so many ways as she still hasn’t let go of Jiu even after she started dating Siyeon.

“Everything’s going to be okay, my heart. We just need to take it one step at a time.” She rubbed her chest hoping that the pain would lessen as she pushed Jiu’s heart break when she kissed Siyeon on the lips. “Everything’s going to be okay.” She repeated as she let out a shaky breath. “Everything is going to be okay.” She said it once more as she closed her eyes as Jiu’s face was her first thought. She didn’t push that thought away as it eased some of her pain in her chest. “I’m so sorry Lee Siyeon, it seems that my heart belongs more to Jiu Unnie.” Sua cried out as she opened her eyes and gazed upon the closed door that had her girlfriend behind it.

Siyeon didn’t hear anything that Sua had said while she remembered the song, she sang to Yoohyeon in hopes that she would know about her feelings. Yoohyeon didn’t know the extent of how much Siyeon would do for her to be happy however now she was doing it to Sua who deserved the world. She remembered the exact reaction to her confession towards Sua for the second time.

Flashback

Siyeon was attending Sua’s graduation for her university as they haven’t seen each other in a long time even though they were sharing an apartment. Sua would stay overnight at the university to make sure everything was alright. She wanted everything to be perfect without any mistakes. She smiled at her best friend’s motivation to see everything through and that made her love her even more. Sua didn’t date anyone after Siyeon’s confession to wait for her and that made her happy. There were so many people asking her out on dates, but she refused them all just, so she could focus on her studies as well as Siyeon.

When she got to the practice room all she saw was Sua dancing ily to one of the songs that made her jaw drop as well as the 100 red roses that she had just bought as a small gift of her graduating without failing any classes.

Sua heard something drop at the door and turned her body to look at what had happened. All she found was Siyeon with open and a bouquet of roses scattered along the floor. Sua didn’t mind the roses at the moment as she was too busy looking at her best friend’s outfit. She was wearing a trench coat that wasn’t even buttoned up even though it’s cold outside.

Siyeon coughed as she pretended that she didn’t just check out Sua’s body while she was in the middle of practice. She picked up the roses and slowly walked over to Sua, however, her face was becoming warmer and warmer as she got closer to Sua who was looking at Siyeon with an unreadable gaze.

“Sua…,” Siyeon started until she met Sua’s gaze as her mind went blank as she was devoured into her chocolate brown eyes. She never got tired of seeing those pair of eyes for the past 7 years. She never has, and she hoped that she never will become tired of them. Sua was waiting for Siyeon to continue her words as her heart was hammering on what Siyeon might say next, however, all she got was nothing.

“Are you okay, Siyeonssi?” Sua said as she got closer to Siyeon who was still stuck in her daze.

“I love you, Kim Sua, please do me the honors of calling me your girlfriend.” Siyeon blurted out as Sua froze in her spot and just blushed at Siyeon’s sudden confession. Siyeon, on the other hand, was panicking at her actions as she wanted to run away as soon as possible. Sua took a step forward and cupped her hands on Siyeon’s cheeks with a smile on her face.

“Don't run away now,” Sua softly said as she waited for Siyeon to nod her head. It took a while as she had to repeat herself a couple of times to finally get her attention and when she did she finally said what she was dying to tell her, “but, I would love to be your girlfriend, Lee Siyeon.”

Present

 

Siyeon squealed at the memory of Sua saying yes and it was all smooth sailing from there though there was a couple of bumps however they made it work. They always had each other's backs, and nothing was ever going to hurt them or so Siyeon thought before she met her soulmate that was surprisingly her first love. It brought back painful memories of when she hid her feelings towards Yoohyeon until they couldn't be contained anymore.

2 months before the Junior High Farewell

Siyeon let out a sigh again as it had been a week after pouring her heart and emotions out to Yoohyeon only for her to not understand it.

“Maybe I should just be straightforward and just say I like you, will you please go out with me in a pursuement of a romantic relationship?” Siyeon said to no one in particular as she gazed up at the sky.

“Who do you like and why is this the first time I heard of this? I'm supposed to be your best friend here, Singnie.” Siyeon froze in her spot as her heart slammed itself against her chest while giving her the feeling that it might leap out of next. Siyeon slowly looked over to her side and hoped that it wasn't Yoohyeon. Sadly, the world had other plans as Yoohyeon was curiously looking at Siyeon. Waiting for her to answer her question as Siyeon really wanted to dig herself a grave and stay in it for the rest if her life. “Come on, Singnie, we’re best friends and yet you keep this one secret from me. Ne~ I won't tell anyone so spill.” Yoohyeon pressed on as she started shaking Siyeon. Oh, Yoohyeon, I have too many secrets that I have kept from you. Especially the one I like is you. Siyeon sadly thought as she opened to respond only for Yoohyeon to stop her. “Is he the one you sang that very emotional song to? Tell me, is he hot? Does he make your heart go Doki Doki?” Yoohyeon started gushing about Siyeon’s possible love interest however Siyeon interrupted her as she had enough of Yoohyeon's direct thought in thinking that the love interest is a guy.

“The he you are trying to find doesn't exist because it's you!” Siyeon shouted out which made Yoohyeon go quiet as she slowly released her grip on Siyeon as she placed them on her lap. “I sang that song for you and hoped that it was enough for you to see that I'd give everything to you just, so you can be happy. I want to be by your side even if it's tearing me limb from limb. I would rather be in pain than be away from you because a day without you in it makes my life worth nothing.” Siyeon spilled her feelings out without any consequences as she looked at Yoohyeon she could see that Yoohyeon didn't feel the same way so with a heavy heart she continued. “I'm willing to bury these feelings away if it means I can still be by your side. I won't take advantage of you or anything. These feelings will pass and when they do, we can remember back at this and laugh about it.” Siyeon said weakly as her heart twisted in pain knowing that Yoohyeon will forever be cautious of her feelings and not look at her the same way again. Yoohyeon only nodded hoping that everything would go back to normal.

Present

Siyeon cried herself to sleep that night and Sua who came in later comforted her as she always did whenever Siyeon cried herself to sleep. She always holds her because when Siyeon cries herself to sleep she gets the worst nightmares which causes her to do things that she isn’t aware of it at all. Sua tried telling Siyeon but she saw that Siyeon was mentally and physically tired each time she saw her, so she stayed quiet.

A couple of days later…

“Okay, now that you guys have officially introduced yourselves its time to work on your debut and what better way to do that is to get yourself comfortable in your dorm room.” Manager In-Kwon stated as he happily provided all the shocked girls the address to their new rooming quarters. Yoohyeon and Jiu looked at each other and smiled knowing what to do. Jiu raised her hand as she had always done which put a small smile on Sua’s face. Something’s never change huh. Sua thought to herself before dismissing it as she grabbed Siyeon’s hand and squeezed it. “Yes, Kim Jiu" Jiu smiled knowing that the plan might actually work.

“Are we all rooming together, or do we all have separate rooms?” Jiu asked already knowing what the answer was.

“You guys will be rooming together in smaller groups that way we don't have to spend a lot of money on such a big space.” He said, and all the girls agreed to his explanation. Jiu raised her hand again and the manager loved how curious she was.

“Can couples room together?” Jiu dropped the bomb that no one thought of well except Yoohyeon and Jiu. The manager thought about it for a while and he came to a conclusion.

“No, couples can’t room with each other as we do have a tight schedule. You may do as you please on your free time but know that all actions have consequences.

“Me and Yoohyeon are girlfriends while Sua and Lee Siyeon are a couple how are you going to split them up?” Jiu dropped yet another bomb that made Siyeon's eyes bulge out and grip Sua’s hand really tight, however, Sua didn't cry out in pain as she was used to it already.

“Well… how would you like to be split up?” In-Kwon asked as Yoohyeon skipped over to Sua and s her arms around her. She hugged Sua from behind and told In-Kwon.

“I'll be rooming with Sua and everyone else can figure it out themselves.” Jiu looked over at Yoohyeon with a shocked expression as this wasn't going according to the plan, they discussed a while ago. What are you up to Yoohyeon? Jiu thought as she felt a twinge of pain coming from her hand. She yelped a little and looked at the source of her pain. There lied a hand like bruise around her knuckles which made her wonder how she got it in the first place. Jiu dismissed it as another dance practice as she had been getting them for the past couple of years.

When everyone was leaving the room, Jiu noticed that Sua stayed behind without Siyeon and she took this opportunity to talk to Sua once more. When she approached Sua she quickly hid herself as she noticed that Sua was applying disinfectant on her hands. She took a closer look at Sua’s hand and there it was staring right at her. The exact same bruises that Jiu found on herself while talking to In-Kwon was on Sua’s hand except the only difference between them was that her bruises showed signs of bleeding. Tears started prickling Jiu’s eyes as she couldn’t help but cry for putting Sua through this.