Dream, Memories and the Harsh Realities

Derailed from the Original Path

Can’t move, can’t fall, can’t even scream. Sua startled herself awake as she looked around at her surroundings. Jiu’s nightmare came true which made it scarier as Sua hoped the last part would never happen unless it was of natural causes. She was disoriented at not understanding why she wasn’t in her bed until a hand held hers. She looked at the person who held her hand and it was Siyeon who gave her a concerned look.

“Are you okay?” Siyeon asked as she watched Sua the entire time she was asleep. The entire situation would make anyone jumpy.

Jiu was taken to the hospital in which they told her it was fatigue and sleep deprivation that caused her to faint. She didn’t have a concussion so that was good though her condition was still worse. All they can really do is wait for her to wake up then all will be well… hopefully.

Siyeon looked back at how Yoohyeon would tell her that something wasn’t right with Jiu. She, of course, didn't believe her as she did physically look alright. Clearly, she knew she was in the wrong or else everyone wouldn’t be in the hospital waiting for the leader to wake up.

Management didn’t know what to do except call Jiu’s parents about the unfortunate event that occurred, however, her parents would take a while to come on over as they were currently overseas on vacation.

Sua’s mind had that rush of memories she had with Jiu. She shifted and shifted looking for any signs of Jiu being in distress or could reveal her condition.

Why can’t I feel any of your emotions anymore? Jiu’s voice rang in Sua’s mind. How was she so sure that the bond was being severed. Where was her evidence? There were no answers in the books that she had researched. Something must have told her that bond would be severed by the possible death of Jiu.

I’ll always protect you from the bullies, so you don’t get hurt anymore, Sua. That memory replied back in Sua’s mind and she felt sleepy. She leaned onto Siyeon’s shoulder to sleep as she knew that thinking about anything else won't do her any good.

“Go to sleep and I’ll wake you up when something changes,” Siyeon told Sua, giving her comfort that everything might be okay. She watched Sua tiredly go to sleep and the silence quickly overtook the entire place. Just the sounds of buttons clicking from the keyboard, rushed footsteps that entered multitudes of rooms and small chatters that didn’t matter to Siyeon.

Sua nodded as she felt her eyelids start dropping and into the dreamworld she went.


Sua was in the kitchen but her purpose was already forgotten. She had something to do but couldn’t quite understand what it was. She looked up and found a familiar figure with her back to her just sitting on the couch drinking coffee.

“Hey,” Sua called out to the girl. She stopped drinking midway and put her mug down. She turned her head slightly only seeing half of her face, but their eyes never met for some reason.

“Hey yourself,” The girl replied with a smile on her lips but made no efforts in moving from her position.

“It wasn’t supposed to be like this,” Sua told her and all she got as a response was a nod. “Did you know?” The girl didn’t respond to her as if it told Sua that she needed her to not be so vague in her question.

“Did you know that I’ll get hurt by the bond?” Sua rephrased her question towards her soulmate.

“I’ve told you once and I’ll tell you again, Moonie. I’ll always protect you from the bullies. So, you won’t get hurt anymore.” Jiu responded but it wasn’t anything Sua didn’t know about.

“Don’t you think that I wouldn’t get hurt seeing you like this?” Sua gritted her teeth as she knew this was a dream while Jiu would probably tell her something else. This conversation was pointless but somehow, she didn’t want to leave.

“Weren’t you the one that said we are merely co-workers?” Jiu retorted just like she had before fainting. “You told me that you would do your best to not bother me. What was the point in telling you about my problems when you clearly didn’t want me in your life? You pushed me away when I tried my best to get you back and you kept throwing it in my face that you didn’t want to be with me.” She continued but didn’t move from her spot. Sua, however, began walking closer towards Jiu as if she couldn’t hear her properly.

“I didn’t want to get hurt anymore,” Sua whispered as she knew that it sounded funny. She told herself that she deserved the pain and yet here she was telling Jiu that she didn’t want it.

“I know,” Jiu replied softly as she kept smiling though somehow Sua still couldn’t see her eyes. “Why do you think I’m bearing the soulmate bond all by myself,” Jiu stated as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

That was something Sua didn’t know and one that needs to be addressed. Though how would she know that it isn’t something she already knew. It was her dream after all so whatever she learns would probably be something she searched up years ago. Jiu chuckled as a smile still played on her lips like the entire thing was amusing to her.

“I made a promise,” Jiu nodded to herself, making Sua solidify her idea that it was indeed a dream. “You were crying after I had gotten punched that one time. I was so scared that the bullies get to you and make you think that you didn’t deserve to be with me. I would do anything for you” Jiu continued like nothing happened. Sua’s attention was right back on Jiu. This is something new. Sua thought to herself as she began to listen to Jiu. “The world is a cruel place and we both know that. It is so cruel especially to you, Moonie, so I made a promise to myself. A promise that I didn’t think would be so… binding,” Jiu elaborated without Sua having to ask her.

“What kind of promise did you make, Jiu?” Sua asked as she didn’t like how this was going.

“I’ll protect you, Sua,” Jiu said as she turned around and her eyes were filled with seriousness and determination. It brought chills down Sua’s spine just like how Jiu was sitting in the dark room sipping coffee as if she was comfortable with her choices. “In this harsh world, I’ll only protect you, my love,” Jiu’s eyes softened as it bore the love, she has for Sua.

“You promised a lot of things, Jiu and most of them are broken now. How are you so sure that this one stuck,” Sua couldn’t wrap her head around something so… childish.

“Two and a half years after our breakup I chanted like a prayer that when we meet the pain will soon be over.” Jiu shrugged her shoulders as if it was no big deal.

“Don’t you care about your life?” Sua frowned as Jiu only laughed at her answer.

“I do,” Jiu answered with no hesitation but looked lost in thought until she added to her answer like it was a cliché drama Sua used to… well no… still watches. “But I value you more so it’s no big deal,” Jiu swayed herself as if she was drunk. Sua was at a loss of words and didn’t even know what was going on. She wanted to wake up from this ridiculous dream.

“No big deal,” Sua growled in response. She was getting angry at dream Jiu so much that she could just try and smack some sense into her. “You could die and all you can say is that your life is no big deal!” Sua was beyond livid at how nonchalant Jiu was being about the entire thing. It wasn’t like her to just accept the depressing things… until she remembered how Jiu smiled like her usual self when she said that Jiu didn’t change. Something did change within Jiu and Sua feared that it wasn’t the good kind.

“It is no big deal after all it’s nothing I can’t handle,” Jiu replied in confidence though something told Sua that her words couldn’t be trusted. “Remember we dance a dance no one knows the tune to.”


“Suaifey, hey?” Siyeon shook Sua hoping that she would wake up peacefully. Sua groaned as she shook her head to sleep some more. Siyeon sighed but still smiled how childish Sua was being in front of her however she had to deliver her some news. “Sua, come one, wake up please.” Siyeon begged until she finally got Sua to crack her eyelids open. “Hey,” She softly called out. “Welcome back to the land of the living,” Siyeon tried to joke, hoping to give the news that has yet to be known to Sua in a gentle and less depressing way.

When Sua heard Siyeon’s words, her eyes went wide and she grabbed her shoulders. “What happened to Jiu,” Sua called out in a panic as she can vividly remember her dream. Siyeon looked at Sua shocked but then rationalized it as the soulmate bond told her something. Another thing that I’m going to be jealous of is how they can feel each other’s emotions. It's cheating. Siyeon grumbled in her head but kept a brave face in front of Sua.

“From all the sleep-deprivation, Jiu had a heart attack,” Siyeon told Sua as she watched her swallow loudly at the news. “Her immune system is weak, so the doctors don’t even know if she is going to survive as she pushed her body to the limits at practice last night.” Siyeon continued as she gauged Sua’s reaction.

“Jiu isn’t that weak to succumb to a heart attack,” Sua stated more to herself as she really didn’t want to think about the possibility of her being weak.

“Yeah,” Siyeon easily agreed as she didn’t want to upset Sua anymore than what it looks like. She just wanted Sua to get through this without any problems. If she were to though, Siyeon would be there for her every step of the way.

“Does the doctor know how long she hasn’t been sleeping for?” Sua asked as she wanted answers. She had given Jiu almost everything she had been through over the course of the 10 years apart. She ranted, vented and hurted Jiu in the process but what about her? All she did was try and win her heart yet she didn't know what Jiu did during their decade apart. Her own problems now seemed tiny compared to what Jiu had put herself through.

“They said that she told a family doctor that she hadn’t been sleeping properly when she came in for an appointment once she turned 19,” Siyeon answered her honestly but she could see the fear, sadness and panic in Sua’s eyes.

“Sometimes being with the sun causes consequences,” Sua said, which caught Siyeon’s ear. Sua had a revelation as she recalled the words Jiu said in her dream. In this harsh world I’ll protect only you. When we meet, the pain will soon be over. Why do you think I’m bearing the soulmate bond myself? I would do anything for you. It’s no big deal.

“What are you talking about?” Siyeon asked Sua in confusion. Sua covered as her heart dropped at the assumption.

“I… I don’t think Jiu Unnie knew that the soulmate bond was caused all this,” Sua’s tears fell as Jiu hinted that her tombstone said she deserved it.

“That’s nonsense, Suaifey, there is no proof of that,” Siyeon shook her head as the soulmate bond wasn’t more than a mental affliction.

“It’s causing her to kill herself,” Sua whispered out hoping that none of the staff members would hear their conversation.

“Jiu isn’t that weak off her life'' Siyeon retorted to Sua hoping that it would be enough to cease all the crazy things Sua is imagining. There was simply no way that Jiu of all people would be suicidal. She’s way to happy go lucky to attempt suicide.

“Jiu isn’t the one that’s hurting herself. I think that the bond is making her do it because of her choice 10 years ago,” Sua revealed hoping that her guess was correct. If it was correct Sua would have to try and cut off the soulmate bond because if it happens any longer then the second part of Jiu’s nightmare will come true sooner rather than later.