Get to know you better

Derailed from the Original Path

“I-” Sua started but was interrupted by a Siyeon opening up the room door fuming as Sua immediately went over to Siyeon. Jiu watched their interaction while her hands clenched up in a fist. It's okay Jiu she didn't give you a proper answer. She calmly told herself as she couldn't bear to look at Sua lovingly talk to Siyeon. She dragged herself away from Sua as she entered her room and claimed the top bunk. She laid on the bed, sighed, then buried her face into her pillow hoping that her Sua would come walking in to check up on her.

“Hey, you alright?” A voice called out to her which Jiu looked down from her bed and she looked at whoever called out to her. It was Yoohyeon who had a handprint that was very distinct on her left cheek. Jiu instinctively went down from her bunk and started caressing the handprint.

“Who did this to you?” She asked while Yoohyeon looked at Jiu with tender eyes. How can anyone not be with her? Yoohyeon thought as her heart slowly melted at Jiu’s touch and kindness.

“No one I can’t handle,” Yoohyeon replied as she placed her hand on Jiu’s. She smiled at Jiu’s frowning face, but it disappeared as soon as it came when she remembered who left slapped her.


“So? What do you want to talk about?” Siyeon sighed as she still kept her arms crossed. Yoohyeon fiddled with her fingers as she really didn’t know what she was doing when she pushed Sua out of their room, however, she didn’t want to lose her soulmate before anything started.

“I want to give us a chance,” Yoohyeon said as she shyly looked into Siyeon’s eyes and biting her lip. Siyeon raised her eyebrow at Yoohyeon but didn’t proceed to say anything. “I know I made a mistake back when we were kids, but can you blame me? What would you do when your best friend suddenly confesses that they have romantic feelings for you and not to mention that we are girls? We aren’t going to be the same as  society where it’s all hetero out there. What would they think if they see two girls being all romantic towards each other?” Yoohyeon explained but Siyeon scoffed at her answer.

“I wouldn’t have cared. The only reason why I didn’t confess to you sooner was that I knew I was going to lose you and I’d rather bury my feelings than to be away from you. You!” Siyeon uncrossed her arms and pointed at Yoohyeon. “You were the one pushing me to tell you who I liked. You were the one who gave up on anything happening to us in the first place. You were the one who lost contact with me. You were the one who pushed me to be all alone. So, I won’t give us a try. I have my Sua and she is always there for me. She cared what society thought of her at first, but I fixed her. I am beyond happy being with her as she reciprocates my feelings. She is the one I see in the future to be my wife, to be the one who supports me, to hold me when things get hard, to run around nagging when our kids are roaming the front lawn. Not you, Yoohyeon, you don’t know the pain and damage you caused for me.” Siyeon ranted as Yoohyeon’s heart was breaking little by little with each information Siyeon revealed to her.

“I can be different. I am different Siyeon. You saw me during those 2 years and not once did I break any of your rules.” Yoohyeon walked closer to Siyeon and she just shook her head.

“The only reason why I met you was that Sua agreed to me seeing you. She didn’t mind it at all. That’s how much she trusts me with you.” Siyeon said as she recalled all the times, she asked for reassurance from Sua if it was alright to keep seeing Yoohyeon her first love. Sua only laughed at Siyeon’s childishness and nodded her head.

“Why! Why is it always Sua this or Sua that? Does she control you or something?” Yoohyeon ruffled her hair in frustration. “Does she keep you on a leash and abuse you because I can report her for you. That little b-” Yoohyeon’s face suddenly went to the right as she felt a stinging sensation on her cheek.

“Don’t you ever insult Sua like that,” Siyeon said in anger and pulled Yoohyeon out of the way just to leave the room. She couldn’t stand what she was hearing from her and once she left the room, she saw Sua running towards her with worry.

Yoohyeon saw their interaction and looked over at Jiu who had sadness written all over her face and watched her enter her room.


“Jiu Unnie, would you change anything in the past if you had the power to do so?” Yoohyeon suddenly said as Jiu looked at her confused but only shook her head.

“I would because I’m not with my soulmate now. If I had just reached out to her in her most vulnerable state, I wouldn’t be trying to get her to trust me again.” Jiu whispered as she looked out the door where the couple was no longer there.

“What would you do if she doesn’t take you back?” Yoohyeon questioned as she looked at Jiu for any answer.

“Honestly… I don’t know. Sua has been with me for 3 years and in those 3 years, she knows most of me that no one else sees. However, I cannot say the same for her. These 10 years have changed her into someone I need to meet and get to know again but I’m willing to do that just for her.” Jiu said as she recalled a memory.


“Sua~” Jiu whined as she pounded against the door to Sua’s room. She was knocking for a good 5 minutes as Sua locked herself in her room after Jiu terribly failed to stop the bullying that Sua just went through. Jiu challenged the lead bully, and, in the end, Jiu was hurt. She got a scrapped knee as well as bloody knuckles and a bloody nose from the fight. Sua blamed herself for getting Jiu involved.

“Go away.” She weakly heard from the door, but she didn’t listen to her soulmate.

“I’m not leaving until you say it to me face to face.” Jiu proudly said as she still had blood running down her nose. Sua opened the door and fled to her bed to cover herself in blankets. “Oh, my Sua.” Jiu cooed as she ran to Sua and pulled off the blankets. “You don’t have to cry.” She said as she didn’t know what to do to get her soulmate to stop crying.

“B-but it’s m-my f-fault that you are hurt.” Sua looked at the bloody mess that she had created.

“Though I am your mess. Your one and only mess that you have to deal with for the rest of your life.” Jiu countered as Sua blushed at her comment but didn’t say anything. “Come on a little punch doesn’t hurt me.” Jiu nudged Sua who only weakly smiled. “Just watch me, I’m going to bring you happiness no matter what,” Jiu said confidently which brought Sua’s hopes up. “Now, can you help me clean all this blood off I think my mom will have a field day if she sees me like this.” Sua only shook her head before hopping off her bed and began leading them into the bathroom.

Sua was slowly cleaning Jiu’s wounds as she didn’t say anything, but Jiu looked at her with wonder.

“How do you know how to clean these injuries and stuff,” Jiu questioned and Sua only looked at her sadly.

“It becomes a habit once you watch your parents apply the band aids on yourself from all the constant bullying.” Sua only shrugged as she lightly dabbed the alcohol-soaked gauze onto Jiu’s knee. Jiu winced in pain and Sua flinched as well.

“I’ll always protect you from the bullies, so you don’t get hurt anymore, Sua.” Jiu held onto Sua’s hands who were trembling. Sua looked into Jiu’s eyes with tears already falling. “I’m never going to let them get to you again,” Jiu promised as Sua could only smile at her words.

Who knew that Jiu wouldn’t be able to keep her promise at all.