Chapter 7

A 'Shifter's Silence

Changgu was in another one of those moods, inbetween being sick and being well, being aware and not. He barely remembered who even came to check on him anymore, but it was always in pairs. He always remembered that two people came to see him, and after his accident they moved him to Sungyeol's room since it was closer to the bathroom in case he had another one of his coughing up blood moments.

Myungsoo, Changgu had concluded, had figured out that the drug was in his system again. During one of his more awake moments he heard that Myungsoo had taken a sniff of his blood and was reeled back by it. Like it had been poisoned. It would explain why he was more out of it than usual but what he couldn't figure out was why they put him through this suffering again.

Changgu was woken up suddenly by movement again, his eyes opening as he looked straight into the worried face of his friend and pack alpha. Pack alpha. He remembered that Hui never wanted the job and yet here he was. "Hey Changgu," Hoetaek said softly. "Are you feeling alright?" He asked. Changgu could only shake his head no. Hoetaek let out a soft sigh before reaching out and tousling Changgu's hair. Changgu moved away with a small whine in annoyance, and a fond smile appeared on Hoetaek's face as he chuckled some.

"Everyone's out of the house again, Myungsoo took them shopping," said Hoetaek. "So it's just us," he said. Changgu hummed. "Are you up for eating?" Asked Hoetaek. Changgu nodded. "Okay, come on," said Hoetaek before he helped Changgu stand and head into the kitchen with him.

They ate something light, in case Changgu had another weird reaction to it and Changgu could only eat half of it before pushing the plate away. Hoetaek could only look on in worry but didn't voice it, instead he nodded, smiling softly before going back to eating. Changgu looked down at his hands that were resting on the table, silent.

"Changgu," Hoetaek said softly. "Are you up for a run?" He asked. Changgu tilted his head to the side in thought. He then nodded. A run wouldn't hurt, granted they didn't go far anyway. Hoetaek smiled softly before nodding. "Let me finish eating okay?" He asked. Changgu nodded. After Hoetaek finished eating he texted the group chat telling them he was out running with Changgu before they went to change and go running.

Changgu knew Hoetaek was going slower for him, since he was still somewhat recovering as they both ran through the forest. Feeling the wind in his fur actually invigorated him a bit more, and he felt almost at his old energy levels as they ran. Hoetaek didn't take them far, but he was happy to see Changgu at least almost at the same level of energy as before. It reminded him of their very first run, just after they left Changgu and Yanan's hometown.

 

~



Changgu was hesitant with being in wolf form again. Since the first time he had started changing he wasn't supposed to take charge when it came to their runs. Hoetaek quickly pushed him to take the lead though, nodding with his tail wagging. Yanan was still hesitant with being with Changgu but they had learned to be around each other without Changgu freaking out at least.

The first time they had actually met was more disastrous than people thought. It had been the first time Hoetaek and Yanan had heard the boy speak, his soft and quiet voice begging for Yanan to not do anything to him. It broke Yanan, and it broke Hoetaek even more when they learned exactly how badly Changgu's father treated him.

Changgu took hesitant steps, still unsure of whether it was okay to take the lead. When Yanan pushed him to go Changgu sprinted forward, and Hoetaek and Yanan quickly followed after him, running by his side.

 

~



Changgu had been taking the lead after Hoetaek made sure he had his bearings, running beside him and making sure Changgu didn't suddenly collapse. They ran for a good hour before Changgu started leading them home, feeling the exhaustion start to set in. Hoetaek could sense it as he kept to Changgu's side, keeping pace as he was there in case Changgu fell.

When they got back Hoetaek changed first and went to put his clothes on before going to Changgu's side as he finally fell. "Oi, we should've come back earlier," Hoetaek said, shaking his head. "Change back alright? I'll get your clothes," he said. Changgu nodded and changed back to his human form as Hoetaek went to get his clothes. Hoetaek came back and helped him put on his clothes before helping him inside and to bed. Changgu could feel himself slipping under again, only managing to stay awake long enough to get put into bed before he went under, feeling the covers get put over him before the darkness consumed him completely.

The next time Changgu came back to the world it was dark again, his foggy mind not registering where he was for a second before he noticed the shape of Hoetaek sleeping next to him and a soft glow coming from the computer screen that was Sungyeol's computer. He noticed Sungyeol was back, seeing the vampire had apparently turned in his chair to watch him.

"Hey Changgu," Sungyeol said quietly, Changgu's hearing registering it a second later. Changgu smiled weakly as he sat up, wincing slightly from pain. Sungyeol got up and walked over, bringing a cup of water over to Changgu. Changgu took the cup and drank from the straw that was placed in it before handing it back to Sungyeol.

"Go back to sleep Changgu," said Sungyeol. Changgu hummed, feeling his exhaustion kicking in again as he laid back down. "I'm right here," was the last thing Changgu heard before he went under again.

It seemed like forever when Changgu came back to the world again, pain wracking through is body as a groan escaped him. Hoetaek wasn't there this time, but Kino was. "I'm sorry Changgu," said Kino as Changgu felt something prick his arm, his mind actually registering it this time. Changgu could only whimper as more pain shot through him, unable to find his voice to call for help. He doubted anyone would help, he was weak. He was nothing but a burden. He just wanted...