Chapter 19

A 'Shifter's Silence

The next day began early for everyone again, with Yuto cursing up a storm about having to open the store again so soon after Changgu's funeral. He didn't complain too much though, since he had to take yesterday off to attend the funeral.

They were still adjusting to the fact that Changgu was gone as everyone had gone to sit down at the kitchen table, leaving a spot open for Changgu. "Ah, damn it," said Yanan. "We'll be doing this for a while, at least until we can move on," said Chani as he scratched the back of his head before going to work on breakfast.

"It's not easy is it?" Asked Hoetaek as he came to sit down. "No," said Chani. "And it will never be easy but we just have to push passed it and move on," he said. "How many covens have you gone through before leading this one?" Asked Kino. "A lot," said Chani. "I know there's a few still around but," he said, shrugging. "Most have disbanded by now or were killed off," he said. "Who'd be leading if you weren't?" Asked Shinwon. "My brother," said Chani as he shrugged.

"Well, who's going into the city with Yuto and I today?" Asked Hoetaek. "I'll go," said Kino. "Same," said Shinwon. "I'll have a scone for Changgu," said Yuto as he came out of the bathroom in his work clothes. Chani nodded and put food on the table and everyone went to eat.

After breakfast Hoetaek, Yuto, Shinwon and Kino headed to Toronto. "Who are you meeting today?" Asked Yuto as he sat in the passenger seat. "Cory, Sunggyu and Jisung," said Hoetaek. "Aw, we should've asked Jaemin to come along," said Yuto. "Yeah, oh well," said Hoetaek.

"How do you know those three?" Asked Kino. "I had to meet them a few times," said Hoetaek as he shrugged. "Before I met Chani and his coven officially anyway," he said. "Jisung hunts vampires now, with Cory and Sunggyu's help so," he said, shrugging. "Hm," said Kino.

When they arrived Yuto was quick to get everything ready with Shinwon and Kino helping. After that was done Yuto handed a scone to Kino and Shinwon, along with a coffee for Hoetaek who had taken his usual spot in the corner of the coffee shop. Kino went to turn on the open sign before going to sit down and hand Hoetaek his coffee.

"A scone for Changgu," said Hoetaek as he held up a scone. "A scone for Changgu," called everyone before they took a bite of the scone. As they finished their scones the morning rush started, with Yuto rushing to get every order ready, working alone again.

"Man, I hate to be the person who opens on really busy days," said Kino. "That's usually Yuto," Hoetaek said with a snicker. "Oh shut up guys," Yuto called from the counter as he focused on getting orders. People were waiting patiently thank god, as they noticed Yuto was working alone again.

Yuto kept apologizing as he called out orders, rushing to fill more as he did so. It eventually got to the point where he had to put up a "give me 5 minutes to get all orders" sign at the register so he could work on the piles of drinks. Once he got the orders he went to open the register again, taking more. It would be like this for the next few hours until his coworker came in.

"Frikin finally!" Yelled Yuto when his coworker came in at 9. "Get the register, I have drinks to make!" He called before going to do so. His coworker went to the register to help get orders as Yuto went to make drinks. It went like that for another hour, their teamwork revolving around getting orders and making drinks. Eventually all the orders were filled and Yuto was able to lean against the counter with a relieved sigh after he made all the drinks.

After the morning rush the door chimed, and Yuto gave his usual fake enthusiastic greeting. "Welcome! What can I get you?" He asked. "The usual," said Cory as he grinned in greeting. "And a sandwich," said Jisung as he put a sandwich on the counter. "And a sandwich," said Cory. "10$, name on cup?" Asked Yuto. "Sunggyu," said Sunggyu as he nodded, giving Yuto the money. Yuto took it, processing the order and writing down on the receipt to look for the newspaper before handing it to Sunggyu. He then went to make the drinks.

"It certainly has been a while," said Sunggyu as he walked over to Hoetaek's table with Jisung. "It has," said Hoetaek as he moved down the newspaper to smile in greeting before going to get the information. "How's Chani?" Asked Sunggyu. "He's good, we're staying with them now," said Hoetaek as he handed Jisung a piece of paper.

"The human too?" Asked Jisung. Hoetaek nodded, putting down the newspaper. "It's a long story," he said. "We have the whole day to hear it," said Cory as he walked over after getting their orders. "Well, let's start from the beginning then," said Hoetaek as he glanced at Kino and Shinwon. They both nod and Hoetaek launched the story.

"Sungyeol found his mate then? Well congrats on him," said Sunggyu as he shook his head in amusement when Hoetaek finished with the story. "But what happened to your friend is still saddening," he said. "To return to work so soon too?" He asked. "Changgu would've wanted us to," said Hoetaek. "And well," he said, shrugging.

"The others don't dwell on grief too much do they?" Asked Sunggyu. "No," said Hoetaek. "We've dealt with a lot," Kino said, shrugging. "Makes sense," said Cory. "Good to know you're in good hands though, Chani's a good coven leader," said Sunggyu.

"He doesn't get involved with us unless he has to," said Hoetaek as he scratched the back of his head. "That makes sense really," said Sunggyu. "You're mated to one of the members of his coven, he accepted you and your pack on the compromise that his coven is left alone until it directly involves him or one of the others," he said. Hoetaek nodded. "It's an alright compromise, I guess," he said.

"Well, we should get going then," said Jisung as he stood, stretching. "We'll come by later, I already told Chani we were here," said Sunggyu. "Sure," said Hoetaek. "Jaemin's lonely," he said, chuckling some. Jisung laughs before nodding. "We'll see you later then," said Cory before he left with Sunggyu and Jisung.

"I don't think anyone has told you this," said Kino as Hoetaek drove home after work. "But even though you hate the job of being alpha, you've done a great job of it," he said. Hoetaek hummed. "If I was better at it though, Changgu would still be here," he said. "Yes," said Shinwon. "But sometimes these things just happen," he said.

"We can only move on for him," said Yuto as he looked out the passenger side window. "At least, that's what he would've wanted," he added. "We'll keep him in our memories," he said. The others nod.