Chapter 9

Doctor Doctor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Maybe some doctors do not care, maybe some do not mind but what Seulgi said was a big blow to Irene.

 

.

 

"No! No! Come on, stay with me!" Irene begged as she pumped the chest of her patient.

 

The patient was a 65 year-old male construction worker who suffered a heart attack while working. He happened to be at one of the higher levels of the building and was not wearing a safety harness when it happened. He fell and fortunately didn’t die at the site. However, he suffered a collapsed lung.

 

This man was also Irene’s first independent patient. For the past year, she had been attached to a senior doctor and assisting him with operations. When her teacher heard of this case, he offered to do it in place of Irene. However, the confident student was willing to take up the case. Her teacher had no reason to be worried because he also knew what Irene was capable of.

 

“Doctor Bae! The patient’s blood pressure is falling!” A nurse reported.

 

Irene grunted and manually pumped the patient’s heart faster.

 

“How is his brain activity?” Irene asked.

 

“Decreasing! He-…”

 

“Complete your sentence!” Irene hissed.

 

“He’s brain dead…”

 

In the end, the patient didn't survive. The senior Doctors told her that it was okay and that the patient had a small chance of survival but it still traumatized Irene.

 

She started to make mistakes in subsequent operations and even got called by the director and scolded. Irene resigned from the job after a year and decided to enroll into teaching, despite the Director's persuasion for her to stay. Irene had fun teaching but whenever students asked about her previous job, she would lie to them about how she helped many. After all, students need that ‘motivation’ to move on.

 

Irene felt horrible about herself every day. She was in a job that required one to help people but she doesn't. At this point, she felt hopelessness. That was until she met Kang Seulgi.

 

Seulgi was her student and an outcast of her class. Irene saw how bad they were treating her and felt the need to protect her. She did. She helped Seulgi and Seulgi would remind Irene about her kind acts with little notes.

 

It was Seulgi that helped Irene remember the satisfaction of helping others and reminded Irene of why she wanted to be a heart surgeon. To Irene, the heart is special. Some are good and some are bad. Seulgi's heart was good, radiating warmth whenever Irene was around her. She wanted to protect good hearts like hers.

 

From that day onwards, she started to operate again and managed to become one of the top heart surgeons in the country.

 

Irene never came about to tell Seulgi about her true motivations but it was all because of Seulgi that she was able to operate again. However to have the person who helped her pull her down, Irene was crushed.

 

.

 

"Ya! Irene!... JooHyun unnie!" Joy huffed as she tried her best to catch up to the latter.

 

"Leave me alone Joy." Irene hissed.

 

"No, beca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter