Chapter 8

Don't call

Tadaa~ I actually cut this chapter in two parts because it was getting pretty long so the next one shouldn't be a long wait!

I just want to say: Even though the boys are of course somewhat based on their real life personalities and stuff, their parents in this story are NOT. There are a lot of unpleasant parents in this story and I'm sure that's not the case irl!

WARNING: this chapter has some homophobia and (mentions of) domestic violence!

___________________________________________________________________________________

The Rubies had decided to go out for dinner instead of ordering take-out for a change. Something they regretted when they saw Seungkwan's parents were at the same restaurant. They doubted he had told his parents about what happened, but it still felt somewhat uncomfortable seeing them there. Fortunately their table was quite far away and it seemed like they hadn't even noticed them. However, when they finished and got up they approached the boys' table.

 

Good evening boys.” Seungkwan's mother greeted them. She was more friendly than his father, although, according to her son, her polite demeanor was mostly for keeping up appearances. “Isn't Seungkwan with you?” She inquired.

 

They all exchanged a look before Seungcheol answered her, “Not tonight. He's stuck at the library again.”

 

Really?” She asked slightly surprised. “I saw him before he left. He looked way too nice for the library. He isn't out with his secret girlfriend, is he?” Her voice was teasing, but her eyes were not.

 

Soonyoung scoffed, “Yeah, right. Seungkwan with a girlfriend. Ow!” A sharp pain ran through his leg as someone kicked him under the table. It distracted him from seeing the way Seungkwan's father's mouth twitched in displeasure at his words.

 

Come on, dear. Let's leave the boys to their night. Even if Seungkwan is not in the library I doubt they would tell his parents about it.” Even though he sounded like he was joking his face was stern and his stare send a shiver down their spines. Seungkwan's father was a scary man.

 

As soon as they were gone Soonyoung shot his friends a dirty look. “All right who kicked me?”

 

I did.” The other two answered in unison.

 

Come on man, I know we're mad at him and all but you can't out him to his parents. That's just not cool.” Mingyu said.

 

I didn't out him.” Soonyoung retorted with a scowl.

 

You were hinting at things.” Seungcheol pointed out. “You know how his dad is.”

 

Soonyoung knew his friends were right. He was still mad, but he would never forgive himself if he outed Seungkwan to his parents, intended or not. He knew Seungkwan wouldn't either. Instead of admitting as much to his friends he said whatever and got up to go to the restroom.

 

Mingyu shook his head and looked at Seungcheol. “How long do you think this is going to last? I mean, we're going to talk to him again eventually, right?”

 

He just needs some more time.”

 

Well he better hurry up because I'm getting sick of this whole situation.”

“I know.”

 

He still sends me weekly schedules you know.”

 

Who does?”

 

Seungkwan. You know how he always tries to help me keep up with my classes and homework and stuff and makes weekly schedules for me so I don't completely drown? He still sends them to me. He doesn't add any message like he used to, but...I feel terrible. And I miss him.”

 

Seungcheol nodded. “I do too.”

 

<>

 

Seungkwan came home one night. He and Hansol had gone to see a movie. They had been on several dates by now and Seungkwan was getting more comfortable with the thought of being seen in public. They still kept it very safe, but overall the atmosphere between them was very comfortable. He was about to go upstairs when he heard his father's voice calling him from his office.

 

Seungkwan? Come in here. We need to talk.”

 

His father wanting to talk was never good. Seungkwan sighed. It had been such a good day. He wasn't in the mood for his father to spoil that. Nevertheless, his night would definitely be ruined if he didn't listen to his father, so he went into his office. His father's face was grim. He never looked particularly happy to begin with, but he seemed even more displeased than usual.

 

Where have you been?” He was sitting behind his desk with his hands folded under his chin. He looked straight at his son.

 

Just to see a movie.” Seungkwan felt uneasy. His father never showed any interest in what he was doing unless it somehow directly affected him or his reputation.

 

With who?”

 

Seungkwan furrowed his eyebrows together. “Just with a friend, why?”

 

What friend?”

 

Does it matter?”

 

Answer the question.”

 

It's a new friend. You don't know him.” At this point Seungkwan was no longer looking directly at his father, but he could feel his eyes fixed on him.

 

How do you know him?”

 

Why are you suddenly so interested in my friends? You never cared before.” Going against his father was never a good idea, but he couldn't just reveal who he had been hanging out with. Even though the heavy feeling in the pit of his stomach told him his father already knew the answers to the questions he was asking his son.

 

Don't talk back to me, Seungkwan. Tell me. This new friend of yours, is that all he is?”

 

What do you mean?” Seungkwan's heart started to pound faster, he did not like where this was going.

 

You know what I mean. Answer me.”

 

Of course. What else would he be?” It left a bad taste in Seungkwan's mouth to say it, but he knew his father. Coming out was not a good idea.

 

His father calmly opened his desk drawer and took out a thick folder that he placed on his desk and shoved in his son's direction, “Care to explain this then?”

 

Hesitantly Seungkwan picked up the folder and opened it. His eyes widened as he saw the pictures that were inside. All of him. Most of them with him and Hansol. Him and Hansol walking. Him and Hansol holding hands. Smiling at each other. Kissing in the car. Lying on the grass on their first date in the old man's backyard.

 

Y-you had me followed?”

 

That's not the issue here. What exactly is your relationship with this young man?” He got up as he spoke and walked around his desk to get closer to his son.

 

Like I said...he's my friend.” He mumbled in reply. His father towered over him and Seungkwan felt particularly small right now.

 

Anger flashed across his father's face. “Don't lie to me, Seungkwan! Friends don't hold hands like this.” he angrily tapped the folder of pictures still in Seungkwan's hands. “Friends don't kiss each other.” Disgust dripped from his voice and it cut Seungkwan like a knife.

 

He swallowed slowly before he spoke up, “He...He's my boyfriend.”

 

His father slammed his fist on his desk and Seungkwan flinched at the outburst.

 

I was afraid you were going to say something so stupid. How long has this been going on? No, you know what. I don't even want to know. It's over now. You're never to see him again.”

 

The thought of never seeing Hansol again was scarier than his father was and Seungkwan wasn't about to just roll over and do as he was told. Not about this. “I'm not going to stop seeing him just because you-”

 

His father didn't let him finished. “I am your father and you'll do as I say.”

 

You can't just-”

 

Be quiet!” His father bellowed, his face dangerously close to Seungkwan's. He was breathing heavily, but he took a step back and composed himself. “Now. Tomorrow I will call the university to tell them you're sick and need to take a short leave of absence. I will have them send you recordings of any classes you'll miss and your assignments so you won't fall behind.”

 

Why?”

 

His father handed him a pamphlet that had apparently been on his desk. Seungkwan was the one filled with disgust this time. “Is this a gay conversion camp?”

 

You're leaving first thing tomorrow.”

 

No, I'm not. You can't make me!”

 

The hell I can't! You are going and that's final! What were you thinking starting a relationship with a man? Holding hands, kissing. We need to get this under control before it goes any further than that.”

 

It's a little late for that.” Seungkwan's mouth spoke before he had thought it through. This wasn't one of the times he regretted it though. He had been scared of his father's anger, but now his own anger was bigger than his fear.

 

His father's eyes narrowed. “Excuse me?”

 

It's already gone way beyond kissing, father. All the way beyond.”

 

How dare you talk to me in this way!”

 

But Seungkwan didn't stop, he was overcome with feelings of anger and injustice and his mouth kept moving. “We've done it many times. In lots of places. All of the family hotels and-”

 

It took a moment before Seungkwan realized what had happened. His cheek was pulsating and he tasted blood in his mouth. His father had hit him. His father had yelled at him before, he had gotten angry at him before, but this was the first time he had actually laid hands on him.

 

Get out. I can see you are beyond help and I don't want someone like you in my house.”

 

Seungkwan didn't say anything. He didn't have to be told to leave. It's not like he wanted to stay. He stormed out. The pamphlet still crumbled up in his hand.

 

<>

 

Without thinking about where he was going he drove his car to the Carrot hangout. He had no other place to go. He couldn't go to his own friends, he couldn't stay in one of the hotels, he still didn't know Hansol's exact address. They always met somewhere else. The light was on inside so he figured at least someone was there. He knocked, hoping Hansol would open the door. It was Jisoo instead.

 

Oh, hey Joshua. Is Hansol here?”

 

No, he isn't.”

 

Oh...okay thanks, I'll just leave then. Sorry.”

 

Jisoo sighed. He didn't really like Seungkwan, but he could see he wasn't all right. “Seungkwan, do you want to come in? I'll call him and tell him you're here.”

 

<>

 

Hansol was going well passed the speed limit, but when Jisoo called him telling him Seungkwan had just showed up at their hangout looking less than okay he just wanted to be there as soon as he could. When he arrived he found Seungkwan sitting in the corner of the couch, an untouched cup of tea in front of him, blankly staring at his hands that were on his lap. Jun and Chan were gaming as if nothing strange was going on, but Hansol could tell there was an awkward tension in the air. He was approached by Jisoo when he walked in.

 

What's going on? What happened?” Hansol asked him quietly so Seungkwan wouldn't hear.

 

I don't know. He just showed up here looking for you. When I told him you weren't here he was going to leave, but I told him he could come in. He hasn't said anything. Jun made him some tea, but he hasn't really moved and I don't think he wants to talk to us three.”

 

Hansol placed a hand on Jisoo's arm and gave it a soft squeeze, “Thanks man. I'll take it from here.” He walked over to the couch and sat down next to his boyfriend. Chan paused the game and he and Jun joined Jisoo in the corner of the room. Far away enough to seem like they were respecting their privacy, but close enough so they could still actually hear what they were saying.

 

Seungkwan?” Hansol asked softly, “What's going on?”

 

He had me followed.” Seungkwan said with a slightly cracked voice, eyes still on his lap.

 

Who? What are you talking about?”

 

My father. He had me followed and he found out about you and me. I denied it at first, but then he showed me all these pictures and I just...”

 

Hansol didn't say anything. He could see Seungkwan was struggling to tell the story, so all he did was place a hand on his arm and wait for him to continue.

 

I admitted that you are my boyfriend and he freaked out. He started screaming at me about how I could never see you again and that I had to take a leave of absence to...he...” Seungkwan needed a moment to suppress a sob, “He wanted to send me to a gay conversion camp.”

 

, seriously? All my old man did was beat the out of me.” Hansol lifted Seungkwan's chin gently and turned his head so he could look at his cheek, “But I see yours didn't leave you completely unharmed either.

 

Seungkwan had successfully held back his tears up until this point, but they were stinging his eyes and he didn't think he could hold them back much longer. Seungkwan's heart ached at the thought of Hansol getting beat up by his father. Hansol saw Seungkwan trying his best not to cry, but he reached out his arms and wrapped him in a gentle hug. “Shh, come here.”

 

Seungkwan buried his face in Hansol's chest en grabbed his shirt tightly. “Shh, it's okay.” Hansol whispered and ran a hand over Seungkwan's hair. He looked over at his three friends in the corner of the room and used his head to gesture to the fridge. Jun seemed to get what he was trying to say and he brought him some crushed ice wrapped in a kitchen towel. Hansol gently pushed Seungkwan up and lifted his chin again. He tried to put the ice on his cheek as carefully as he could, but Seungkwan still winced at the touch.

 

It hurts...”

 

I know. I'm sorry. But if we don't cool it now it's going to swell up.”

 

The room was silent for a while as Hansol kept the ice on Seungkwan's face.

 

You never told me that.” Seungkwan said softly.

 

Hm?”

 

About your dad...that he beat you when he found out you were gay.”

 

Hansol shrugged his shoulders. “It wasn't the first time. It might have been the worst time though. Anyway, it doesn't matter.”

 

It does matter. And it's not okay either.” Hansol let out a small yelp when Seungkwan suddenly wrapped his arms around him and pulled him into a tight hug. “I'm so sorry your dad did that to you.”

 

The other three in the room looked at the scene. Seungkwan comforting Hansol about something that had happened years ago when he had just been through a lot himself. They looked at each other and even though none of them said anything they all knew they accepted Seungkwan now as opposed to just tolerating the relationship he had with one of their own.

 

Hansol untangled himself from the hug and put the ice back on Seungkwan's cheek. “It wasn't all bad. I ran away after that. I lived on the street for a few weeks until-”

 

Sol, stop depressing him with your backstory. Don't you think he has enough to deal with right now?” Chan stepped in surprised both men sitting on the couch. He turned his attention to Seungkwan who looked at him surprised, he wasn't sure if he had ever spoken to him directly after tying him to a chair. “Look, kid. I know this must be hard, but maybe it's better to get out now.”

 

Seungkwan raised an eyebrow, “Did you just call me kid? I'm older than you.”

 

My point is,” Chan continued, ignoring Seungkwan's comment, “look on the bright side.”

 

Ah yes, the bright side. Let me see. My father, like my friends, now hates me and I have nowhere to live. Oh and I have nothing since I just walked out without anything. Oh no wait, I have this wonderful pamphlet about how I, too, can be cured of my homouality. I guess I can just go and live there.”

 

You can live with me.”

 

Seungkwan turned to look at his boyfriend in surprise. “What?”

 

My place is a bit of a dump and probably about the size of your closet, but we can make it work.”

 

A-are you sure?”

 

Of course I'm sure. Besides, where else are you going to go, Boo Seungkwan?”

 

<>

 

After a short ride on Hansol's motorcycle they arrived at his apartment building. It looked old and in serious need of some maintenance. The light above the building entrance was flickering and it smelled like garbage. Hansol parked his bike and held open the door inside. “It's on the second floor, follow me.”

 

Seungkwan followed Hansol closely. He had never been in such a disheveled place before. They arrived at the door to Hansol's apartment and just as he was wondering if the state of this place was any indication to how safe it was Seungkwan jumped at the sound of a loud yell coming from the apartment across the hall.

 

That's just my drunk neighbor.” Hansol explained in a way Seungkwan supposed was to make him feel better, “He's loud but mostly harmless. If you ever bump into him in the hallways just ignore him.”

 

Okay.” Seungkwan said softly before following Hansol inside. He hadn't been kidding when he said his apartment was small. Of course it didn't help that half of the floor was covered in clothes and other stuff. The small open kitchen was a mess and the table was covered with random papers, tissues, and who knew what else. Seungkwan closed the door behind them and stood awkwardly near the entrance.

 

Hansol walked over to the kitchen and gesture to a chair. “Come in. You can sit if you want. Sorry it's such a mess, I don't really have people over.” He opened the fridge and started rummaging around in it, “Do you want something to eat? I'm sure I have something that's still edible somewhere in here.”

 

Seungkwan walked over and placed a hand on the back of the chair but didn't sit down. “No...that's okay. We already ate, remember?”

 

Oh, right.” It seemed so long ago they had gone to the movies together, but it had only been a few hours. Hansol closed the fridge again and leaned against it. “A lot happened tonight and you must be tired. Maybe we should just go to bed?”

 

Yeah...” He hesitated for a moment, but then he asked, “Hansol? Can I ask you something first?”

 

Sure.”

 

If you don't want to talk about it, that's okay, but I was just wondering what happened after your dad...after you left home?”

 

Oh.” Hansol stood up straight. It wasn't that he didn't want to tell the story, it's just that he didn't think Seungkwan would want to talk about it right now. “Well, like I said I left and having nowhere to go I survived on the streets for a few weeks. It was summer so it wasn't very cold. Not that I would recommend it. Sleeping under a bridge isn't very comfortable, even if you don't have a few busted ribs.”

 

Seungkwan didn't want to start crying and make Hansol comfort him while telling him this must be hard for him, so he just sat down on the chair and listened in silence.

 

Anyway. I still had my phone with me, but charging it was a bit of a challenge. One day I charged after a few days of not looking at it and I had a message from Jisoo asking me to meet with him. I hadn't seen him since I left home, but I'd sent him a few messages lying about where I was. When I met with him he saw right through me. I guess he must have told his parents everything because that evening they found me and took me home with them. They told me I could live with them. I refused at first because I didn't want to be a bother, you know. But the appeal of a roof over my head, food, clothes, was too big. Plus Jisoo told me he wouldn't forgive me if I went out on the streets again, so.” Hansol shrugged. “I moved out once I turned eighteen though. They told me I didn't have to, but I really started to feel like a mooch.”

 

How old were you?” Seungkwan asked.

 

When I ran away? Fifteen.”

 

Seungkwan stood up and walked over. He took one of Hansol's hands and smiled sweetly. “Jisoo's parents sound nice.”

 

Yeah, they're the best. They never made me feel like a nuisance and they completely accepted me for who I am.”

 

Maybe I should come out to Jisoo's parents then.”

 

Hansol laughed, “You should. I'd like for you to meet them someday. I'm sure they'll like you.”

 

He gave Seungkwan a quick kiss on the lips. “And since when did you start calling him Jisoo instead of Joshua?”

 

Seungkwan shrugged, “I dunno, you always call him that. Is it not allowed or something?”

 

It's fine. Now...” Hansol stretched his arms out, “bed?”

 

Seungkwan nodded and let Hansol take him by the hand to show him the bedroom.

 

So, I know you have no clothes, but you can just wear something of mine tonight or sleep in your boxers or something and we'll go pick up some of your stuff tomorrow. Do both of your parents work?”

 

Seungkwan had almost forgotten about how he had nothing and hadn't really thought about going back to his house. But it was probably a good idea to get at least some things, “My mom doesn't, but she has a very busy social calendar.”

 

Okay, cool. So we make sure we go when no-one is home. Do you want to shower before going to bed?”

 

If it's okay I'll shower in the morning.”

 

Whatever you want, Boo.”

 

And do you have a shirt or something I can borrow to sleep in? I don't really like to sleep in just boxers.”

 

Sure.” Hansol walked over to a door and revealed what seemed to be a small closet behind it. “Just gimme a sec, I'll find one.” After a bit of searching (the closet, like the rest of his apartment, was a mess) he pulled out a big shirt from what seemed to be some sort of heavy metal band and handed it to Seungkwan. “It's probably way too big. My boss at the garage gave me a box of old clothes once and well...he's a big guy.”

 

It's fine.” Seungkwan smiled as he took the shirt from Hansol. “It's just for sleeping anyway.”

 

They both changed for bed. Hansol was done in about ten seconds, dumping his clothes on the floor and picking up a random shirt from the floor that he used as pajamas. Seungkwan, on the other hand, carefully folded his clothes and put them on an empty spot near the wall. Hansol watched him from the bed. It almost felt surreal seeing Boo Seungkwan in his bedroom like this. He waited for him to join him in bed, but Seungkwan stood in the middle of the room looking unsure of himself. Hansol chuckled. “What are you doing Boo Seungkwan? Get in the bed.”

 

Seungkwan fiddled with the hem of the oversized shirt, “I just...wasn't sure if it's okay. I don't want to intrude on your sleeping space. I can sleep on your couch.”

 

Hansol held out his hand, “Don't be silly. Come here. I had too much space anyway.”

 

Seungkwan doubted that but gingerly reached out his hand to hold Hansol's, but he didn't get in the bed. He just stared at him. Hansol stared back. “I love you.” Seungkwan's voice was barely more than a whisper, but Hansol heard him.

 

I love you too.” For a moment they just continued to stare at each other, but then suddenly Hansol pulled Seungkwan onto the bed, causing him to fall on top of him. He quickly wrapped his arms tightly around him and swayed him from side to side. He couldn't count the times he had wanted to do that, but he never did because he knew that it wasn't something people who just sleep together would do. But he was his boyfriend now and he was going to hug Boo Seungkwan all he wanted. His Boo Seungkwan.

 

Do you mean it?” Seungkwan asked softly once Hansol stopped swaying him around and loosened his grip.

 

What?”

 

That you love me?” Seungkwan put his head down on Hansol's chest.

 

I do,” he replied and his hair gently. He could hear Seungkwan sniffing quietly. “I'm sorry you have to live in this crappy apartment with me instead of with your family, Kwannie.”

 

I'm not.” Seungkwan lifted his head and propped up his chin on Hansol's chest so he could look up at him. He placed his hands on either side of him and raised himself up so his lips could find Hansol's. He gave him a chaste kiss and pulled back and looked at him. Their eyes met. Seungkwan leaned back down again.

 

That night they made love. The term 'making love' usually made Seungkwan throw up in his mouth a little, but there was no better way to describe what they did that night. It was the first night they spent together after both admitting to their feelings. The pace was slow, the touches tender, and the I love yous whispered.

______________________________________________________________________________

*I know how in movies/tv shows they often use like frozen peas or a steak to put on someone's face after they've been hit, but let's be real here, these boys don't cook. They only had ice for their drinks xD
*It's time for the Rubies to get their together!
*I hope SK's father will leave them alone, but I haven't decided yet.
*So...they're living together now. How about that.
*Seungkwan's beautiful face T___T