Chapter 24

Don't call

“Is that really how you want to start this conversation?” Seungkwan asked of the person sitting across from him with a scowl on his face. He sighed at the lack of an answer. “No. I didn't tell anyone that I was coming here.”

 

“So, what do you want?”

 

Seungkwan wasn't there for small talk and clearly Jihoon wasn't one for making conversation either. “I want to know what your deal is.”

 

Jihoon raised one of his eyebrows and stared at Seungkwan, “My deal?”

 

“Yeah. And I'm not talking about the deal you must have made with the police.”

 

“What makes you so sure I made a deal with the cops?”

 

Seungkwan scoffed, “Everything about your arrest and sentencing felt off. Barely any information was made public and let's be honest, you got a pretty low sentence compared to all the guys they got from your father's organization. Anyway, like I said, that's not what I'm talking about. I want to know what your problem is. You've been ignoring all of your friends. I know what it feels like to suddenly be without your closest friends, the ones you see as family. I know how much it can hurt. But when it happened to me it wasn't by my own choice. And even though we've made up now, thinking back at it, it still hurts. You're doing this out of your own volition. So I want to know what your problem is?”

 

“How is this any of your business?” Jihoon questioned.

 

“I'm making it my business. Like it or not, your friends are becoming more and more entangled with my own. Seokmin especially has become a close friend of mine and we went through something horrible together. And-”

 

“Does he...” Jihoon interrupted him suddenly, “...does he think I was behind what happened to him? Like they said?”

 

Seungkwan took a moment to consider whether or not he was willing to divert from his reprimanding rant, but caved, “No. No he doesn't. I honestly think that they could have given him a voice recording of you ordering the attack and he still wouldn't believe it. He still trusts you, I think. I think they all do. Which is exactly why you need to get your together. They don't know what's going on with you and it's hurting them. Either tell them why you don't want to see them, tell them what's going on, or at least let them see you. But enough of this childish silent treatment.”

 

“Are you really trying to tell me that the whole reason why you wanted to see me was to tell me off for ignoring my gang members?”

 

“Yes, that. And if you really are the person that your friends seem to think that you are...I guess I felt bad for you. Why did you think I wanted to see you?”

 

“I don't know. Not this.” Great. Just what he needed. Pity from a Ruby. As if he needed to feel more pathetic.

 

“Why did you agree to see me then?”

 

Jihoon shrugged at the question. The truth was he had felt alone. Alone to the point of incredible loneliness. In all his life he had never felt lonely. Alone, sure, but not lonely. He didn't want to see any of his friends for a variety of reasons. But the loneliness bore down on him and when Seungkwan's request came in he told himself that it wouldn't hurt to see what he wanted.

 

After a bit of silence Seungkwan cleared his throat, “Well. I've said all I've wanted to say really. If you don't have anything else to say I'll get going. I hope you'll come to your senses.” Seungkwan moved to get up, but was stopped by Jihoon's voice.

 

“Seungkwan? Does The8 still live at the club's apartment by himself? I know they closed down the club...”

 

“You don't have to use his gang name, you know, Jihoon.”

 

“You didn't answer my question.”

 

“And I'm not going to. I'm not some social worker who came here to make you feel better. If you want to know how your friends are, ask them yourself. If I start telling you how everyone is it'll totally negate the point of me coming here to tell you to talk to them in the first place.”

 

Seungkwan got up and turned around, but after two steps he turned back and leaned back down. “Oh, and be sure to take your vitamins. Just because we're not friends doesn't mean I don't want you to be healthy.”

 

Jihoon watched him leave. He wasn't sure what to make of the conversation. He wasn't sure if he completely understood Seungkwan's motivations. If the roles had been reversed Jihoon wouldn't have cared. He would have thought it was none of his concern. And here you had this guy who went through the effort to come and talk to him just because he was worried about his friends? Back in his cell he stared at the calender stuck to his wall. He let his fingers run over it and sighed.

 

<>

 

The doorbell rang and Wonwoo looked up from his book. This was odd. Seokmin usually knocked, Jeonghan hardly ever came to his house and Minghao simply texted him if he was outside. Nevertheless, he got up and opened the door.

 

“Was I expecting you?” He asked confused when he saw who it was.

 

“Expecting? Probably not. Anticipating? I hope so.” Jun said with a playful smirk on his lips and a twinkle in his eyes. “So, can I come in?”

 

Wonwoo didn't get the chance to actually invite him in because before he could say anything Jun slipped passed him.

 

“You have a cat!” Jun, already down on the floor, exclaimed with pure glee.

 

“Be careful! She doesn't really like people she doesn't know.” Wonwoo warned as he closed the door. But to his surprise his cat seemed to take an instant liking to Jun. Or at the very least she didn't hiss at him. She sniffed at the hand he was holding out and, unlike with some people she had met for the first time, didn't try to scratch him nor look away in disgust. He squatted down next to Jun and let his cat run her head against his knees. “Wow, she actually seems to like you. This is a first. It took others a while for her to get used to them and tolerate their presence.”

 

“I feel honored. How old is she?”

 

“I'm not sure to be honest. One day Jihoon and Hao just showed up with her. Said they got into a fight with some dude so they took his cat.” He chuckled and looked over at Jun, but he lost the air in his lungs when their eyes met. He quickly turned his eyes back to his cat. “So, why did you come over anyway?” he asked.

 

“No reason. I just wanted to see you.” Jun stood up and took a few steps around Wonwoo's living room, taking in the way it was decorated. Very minimalistic. “What were you doing before I got here?”

 

Wonwoo stood up as well. “Oh, ehm, I was just reading a book...” He glanced over at the table with his book and his cup of tea that was probably only lukewarm by now. He figured this was the moment where Jun would realize how boring he really was and lose interest.

 

“Oh, I'm so sorry! Please continue!”

 

“No, no, it's okay. You just got here. You don't have to go just because I wanted to read. I can do that later.”

 

Jun smiled at him, “I wasn't planning on leaving.”

 

“But you want me to read?” He was genuinely confused, but allowed Jun to push him towards the couch.

 

“I want you to do whatever you want. Obviously you wanted to read and drink tea. I'll be super quiet. Promise!”

 

“Isn't that a bit...weird?” Wonwoo still didn't get it. Did Jun really want him to sit back down and read or was it some sort of test?

 

Jun was already back on the floor trying to get Wonwoo's cat's attention again. Wonwoo sat down and hesitantly picked up his book. He cast one more look in Jun's direction and started reading.

 

It didn't take long for Wonwoo to get into his book. He wasn't sure how much time had passed but when he glanced up to see what Jun was doing (he hadn't been kidding when he said he would be quiet) he saw him, still on the floor, taking selfies with his cat.

 

How did this happen? Did he really have an interesting, handsome man in his house who was perfectly content with Wonwoo being his own self? Apart from his Daebak friends he had never felt like he could just be himself around people. Any and all attempts at relationships had failed either because he felt like he should change for them or because they left after finding out that he didn't quite live up to his dangerous gang member image at home. He had his edges for sure, but, compared to some of his friends, he felt like he was kind of mundane.

 

Jun caught him staring and sat up, “Wonwoo,” Jun got up and walked over to the couch and sat down next to him, “How do you feel about koalas?”

 

Wonwoo blinked a few times at the random question, “Ehm, I've never really thought about it. Why?”

 

“Because lately I've been thinking it'd be nice to be a koala.”

 

“Are you high?”

 

“No. I was just thinking about the way koalas hug trees and it'd be nice if you were a tree and I was a koala.” Jun leaned back into the couch, “Oh and they have pronged es. That's pretty interesting.”

 

“You're so weird.”

 

Jun just chuckled. Wonwoo shook his head and sighed, “Well, you're not a koala.” He turned his attention back to his book, “But you can pretend I'm a tree if you want to.” A smile crept on his face when Jun got closer and wrapped his arms around him. Wonwoo leaned into the hug, his back against Jun's chest. His cat jumped up onto the couch and lay herself down next to them. Wonwoo just read and let himself be held. With a few chapters left he closed the book and put it on the coffee table. He leaned his head back, “Aren't you bored?”

 

Jun ran his fingers lightly down Wonwoo's arms, “Not at all.”

 

“I'm done reading for now.” Wonwoo said and as he said it his heartbeat increased in speed, suddenly aware of the warmth coming from Jun's slender body.

 

“Oh yeah?” Jun whispered in his ear, “What do you want to do now?” He placed a soft kiss behind one of Wonwoo's ears.

 

“I want...to kiss you.”

 

As if the word 'kiss' was some sort of trigger for her, the cat got up from the couch and moved herself over to the windowsill. Now with a bit more maneuvering space, Wonwoo adjusted his position so he was free to indulge himself in Jun's lips. With his arms wrapped around the other man's neck Wonwoo lay back, pulling him along. Although this wasn't the first time they'd kissed it was definitely the most intimate one so far. Zero alcohol involved, no lingering adrenaline rush from raising his voice in public. Just them. Setting their own pace as they comfortably explored each others mouths.

 

After a while Jun propped himself up on his arms and stared down at the man underneath him, “Do you want to watch a movie or something?”

 

“Eh, sure, I guess.”

 

The suggestion to watch a movie instead of taking their physical contact to the next level was their way of taking things slow. There was no need to rush into anything. Besides, basic domestic things like watching a movie together, for Wonwoo at least, were far more important than . He could have with anyone. But not anyone would roll around on his floor with his grumpy cat while he was silently reading a book. Not anyone would make him feel comfortable being himself the way that the man who sat next to him right now did. Jun tangled their fingers together and sank down a bit so he could put his head on Wonwoo's shoulder. “Do you mind?”

 

Wonwoo smiled, even though Jun couldn't see it, “No. Not at all.”

 

By the time the end credits started to roll they both realized how hungry they had gotten. They had just begun to consider their food options when Jun received a phone call. Wonwoo was only able to catch Jun's side of the conversation, but he figured it was one of the Carrots.

 

“Hey...Why? What's going on?...So? Just leave....Okay, fine. I'll come over. But I'm taking my boyfriend with me. You're kind of interrupting.” Jun hung up and sighed. “That was Hansol. He wants me to come to the hang-out so he doesn't have to be alone with Jisoo and Seungcheol.”

 

“You called me your boyfriend...” Wonwoo said shyly.

 

“I was talking about my other boyfriend.” Jun replied bluntly.

 

Wonwoo cast his eyes down, “Oh...” he said with a slightly trembling voice, “I just though that...nevermind...I get it.”

 

“Oh my god, no, I was totally kidding! I'm sorry! And I just said I'd take you because I don't want to leave you, but you don't have to come if you don't want to! I'm so sorry, Wonwoo, please, I-”

 

Wonwoo looked up, smirk on his face. “Relax, don't freak out. I knew you were kidding.”

 

“Wah...you're evil!” But they both laughed.

 

“Why do we suddenly have to go over to your hang-out anyway? What's wrong?”

 

“Apparently Seungcheol is coming over to discuss Jeonghan's birthday party or something, but Jisoo is kinda mad at him for some reason and Hansol says it's going to be awkward but he can't leave because he said something that made Jisoo even more upset.”

 

“Excuse me? They're going to discuss Jeonghan's birthday party!? What is that supposed to mean?”

 

“I guess it's his birthday soon and they want to throw him a party?”

 

“I know it's his birthday soon! Who do they think they are going around planning a party for him?”

 

“What's the big deal?”

 

“Come on, we're going over there right now. We're taking my bike.”

 

Wonwoo stormed off with a slightly confused Jun on his heels.

 

<.>

 

After walking out on Seungcheol and Jeonghan that night Jisoo had gone home and given it some thought. Without really discussing it with either one of them he had decided to not let it become a bigger deal than it already was. Sometimes he didn't know if he was just a forgiving person of if he was a push-over. Either way he had decided to let it go. That was until Hansol let slip how Seungcheol had offered him money to break up with Seungkwan.

 

“Jisoo, come on man. I shouldn't even have brought it up. It was months ago that he did that.”

 

He didn't reply, but Hansol could tell he was upset. Hansol went into the bathroom and called up Jun. When he got back into the living room Chan was there too.

 

“Where did you come from?” Hansol asked.

 

“I was asleep on Jun's bed. What's going on here?”

 

“Nothing.” Jisoo said, lips pressed together, “Seungcheol is coming over.”

 

“And this angers you because...?”

 

“I'm not angry. I'm...discontent.”

 

Chan sighed and slumped down into his chair, “Is this still about the other night? I thought you were done with that?”

 

“I, eh, told him that Seungcheol offered me money to dump Seungkwan a while ago.” Hansol filled him in.

 

“And?”

 

Jisoo scoffed, “What do you mean and?”

 

Chan shrugged and an awkward silence ensued. Jisoo upset, Hansol unsure of what to do, and Chan done with all the drama. He sat up straight and looked at his friend. “Jisoo. I'm going to be blunt here. I think you're overreacting. We've known both of them from a distance for years. Seungcheol has money, Jeonghan has charm. Both are things that, if used correctly, can get things done. I think you were just as jealous of that dude Jeonghan got with as Cheol was, but he was the one to actually do something about it using the means that he has. And so what that he offered money to Hansol? If he would have taken that money Cheol would have been right anyway.”

 

“It's his way of thinking that bothers me, Chan! He thinks money can take care of just about anything.”

 

Chan sighed, “Let's face it. Money can take care of just about anything.”

 

“I just don't want him, either one of them, to think that just because they have ways to fix a lot of things it's okay to break them in the first place.”

 

“Can I ask you something? How did you feel about Jeonghan working with the guy he was sleeping with? Aren't you relieved he's not around him anymore?”

 

“He wasn't sleeping with him. He just...slept with him.”

 

Chan and Hansol exchanged a look, confirming to each other that they didn't see what the difference was.

 

“But, yeah, I guess I wasn't happy about it and I'm kind of glad that he won't be working so close to this person anymore, but we should have just talked to him about it instead of pulling like Seungcheol did.”

 

“So why didn't you?” Hansol asked.

 

Jisoo wasn't sure how to respond to that. Why hadn't they? They were both bothered by it. That much had been clear to Jeonghan too. But they never discussed how to handle these things in the future. They never agreed on the boundaries of their relationship. “I think...maybe I'm scared.”

 

“Scared of what?”

 

“Scared that they think I'm only into them because of those shallow reasons of beauty and money. Scared that if I ask them to not sleep with anybody else they'll just stop being with me instead.”

 

“Bro...” Chan sighed and Hansol shook his head.

 

“Listen to me, Jisoo.” Hansol said, “You are an amazing person. If the idea of them sleeping with other people bothers you so much, just ask them not to. If they don't want to be with you because of that, them! You don't need people like that.”

 

“Word.” Chan added.

 

“As far as why you like them. You probably know that better than anyone, right?”

 

“I mean...I don't exactly hate it when Seungcheol spends some money on me. And of course I'm attracted to Jeonghan's sensual ways. But it's more than that. I like how sweet Seungcheol is and the way Jeonghan laughs when he's really laughing, I like how every day I get messages from them about just anything. I like-”

 

Chan was thankful for the interruption of a knock on the door. He wanted to support his friend, but he didn't need a list of what he liked about his lovers. “It's open!”

 

Seungcheol opened the door and came inside. Jisoo exchanged a look with his friends and nodded. He walked over to him. “Seungcheol? Before we do anything related to Jeonghan's birthday I want to say something.”

 

“Okay...” Seungcheol said hesitantly, not sure what he just walked into.

 

“I don't want you to sleep with other people besides me and Jeonghan. And I want us to ask this of Jeonghan too.”

 

“Oh, ehm,” Seungcheol cast a quick glance in the direction of Hansol and Chan at the back of the room, clearly awkward to have this conversation right in front of them, “Likewise.” He replied. “I mean, I haven't slept with anyone else. I don't want to. I thought you knew that. H-have you?”

 

Jisoo shook his head.

 

“Say that thing again about how you don't want him to break stuff just because he knows how to fix them later.” Chan yelled from his chair.

 

“What is he talking about?” Seungcheol asked.

 

“I know you're used to using your money to get things you want, to make things go your way. I just don't want you to do things that you know I'm not going to like and just think it's okay because you'll buy me a luxurious vacation to Hawaii after.”

 

Seungcheol furrowed his brows, “What are you talking about? What did I do now? You want to go to Hawaii?”

 

“No. I mean, sure, but that's not my point. My point is that, while money can do a lot of things, it can't fix everything. It can't fix the type of things that matter most. Like trust and stuff. Okay?”

 

“Okay.”

 

Jisoo let out a deep breath. “Good, okay. No sleeping with other people and money isn't the be-all and end-all of life. Let's talk about Jeonghan's birthday party now.”

 

***

 

It wasn't long after that, that Jun and Wonwoo arrived. Wonwoo walked straight over to where Jisoo and Seungcheol were sitting, barely giving anyone a chance to even register their arrival.

 

“What do you think you're doing?” Wonwoo demanded from them.

 

Seungcheol got up from his seat, only to find that he wasn't actually taller than Wonwoo and looking straight into his eyes was more daunting than he would have thought. Of all the Daebaks he knew least about Wonwoo. Always in the background. Quiet. When angry his eyes were sharp and pierced right through like knives.

 

“We're just planning a birthday party.” Seungcheol said calmly.

 

“For?” Wonwoo hissed in his face.

 

“Jeonghan.”

 

Wonwoo clicked his tongue. “Did either one of you even think to ask one of us? You know, his friends?”

 

“Of course we were going to invite you. Seungkwan just said you and Seokmin had some trouble coming up with what to do...”

 

“So instead of consulting with us on how you could help, you two just decided to take over?”

 

“We were only brainstorming.” Jisoo got up also. “We haven't actually decided anything yet. But you're right. We should have talked to you from the start. How about we get Seokmin over here and do it all together?” Jisoo suggested. He honestly felt stupid at their own arrogance to think that it was their place to take this from his friends. That they somehow knew him better at this point.

 

“Seokmin is busy right now.” He looked over to Hansol, busy with an arcade game, “He took over Seungkwan's little job at that bakery or something.”

 

“Oh .” Hansol cursed, “What time is it? I promised Seungkwan I'd pick him up today. It's his first day working for Mingyu's dad.” He hurried away and slammed the door shut. The room was silent after that.

 

Wonwoo loudly pulled back a chair and sat down, “So? What brilliant ideas have you come up with so far?”

 

Seungcheol and Jisoo both sat down again, Jun joined them. Not because he cared about Jeonghan's birthday, he really didn't, but he figured it was a good idea to stare at Wonwoo.

 

“Well,” Seungcheol said, “We were just discussing whether or not to get one of those Champagne towers.”

 

“Sure. Get him one of those. And an ice sculpture while you're at it.”

 

“I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not.” Seungcheol whispered in Jisoo's ear. On the other side of him Jun leaned in, “Isn't he cute?”

 

Jisoo sighed. He was starting to think that planning this birthday would be more draining than a newspaper meeting with Seungkwan.