Chapter 4

Don't call

Soonyoung walked around the room, barely able to pick up his feet. He heard something crack and he looked down. Underneath his feet was broken glass from the frame that held the uniform from when he and Seungkwan were in the cheer squad for Seungcheol's wrestling team in high school. It had fallen from the wall and the motorcycle must have ran over it because there were tire-marks on the shirt. It wasn't the only thing that used to be on the wall or on a table and now lay broken on the floor. Soonyoung picked up an artwork Mingyu had made for him for one of his birthdays. It had a large rip right in the middle.

 

I'll make a new one, okay?” Mingyu said, breaking the deafening silence that had filled the room after the motorcycle had left. Soonyoung didn't respond to his him. Instead, he kicked a chair and let out an angry yell. He kicked it again. And again.

 

Soonyoung, calm down, man!” Seungcheol walked over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. Soonyoung jerked away from the touch.

 

Calm down!? Don't tell me to ing calm down, Cheol! Look around you! They destroy our ing hangout, my home, and I'm supposed to calm down?”

 

Kicking and yelling isn't going to fix anything! We'll find out who it was and we'll make sure they pay for what they did!”

 

Soonyoung took a deep breath and forced himself to calm down. He looked around the room again and let out a long sigh. He slumped down in the chair he was kicking moments before. Seungkwan was torn. He knew it had been Hansol. He looked at his best friend and opened his mouth to say something, but the words wouldn't come out. Why. Why couldn't he just tell them it had been him?

 

<>

 

In the end Seungkwan didn't tell them what he knew. Instead he found himself in front of the garage Hansol worked at later that day. He hesitated for a bit, but finally he pushed the door open and went inside.

 

At the sound of the bell Hansol opened his mouth to greet whoever just came through the door but stopped when he saw who it was. He scoffed and returned to the car he was working on.

 

Can we talk?” Seungkwan asked. Hansol didn't reply.

 

Hansol?” Seungkwan tried again. No response. “Hansol...why would you do that?” He took a step closer to the car. Hansol still wasn't looking at him. “Do you realize that we were inside? You could have run over one of us. Don't you care?”

 

Hansol snorted and finally turned to face Seungkwan. “Why should I? You and your friends never care about other people. It's not like you're my boyfriend or anything. You made that perfectly clear.”

 

Is that what this is all about? You're mad at me because I said something stupid, so you decided to run your motorcycle through our hangout!?” Seungkwan couldn't believe what he was hearing. He had come over feeling guilty, confused, and angry, but right now the anger was gaining ground.

 

No. We're in two different gangs with issues between them. This was just a result.” Hansol said as if it wasn't a big deal, denying that it had anything to with their relationship.

 

What does that even mean? Don't just try to brush away what you did by calling it 'gang issues', Hansol! There was no reason for you to-”

 

Whatever, rich boy.” Hansol cut him off, “I was just sick and tired of you people always doing whatever the you want without thinking how it might mess with people's lives!”

 

What are you talking about?”

 

I'm talking about how you are all just a bunch of privileged, stuck up, rich boys who never have to worry about things like money or anything else for that matter.”

 

Seungkwan didn't know how to respond to that. He thought that over the last months Hansol had gotten to know him well enough to know that what he just said wasn't true.

 

Besides,” Hansol continued, “What's the big deal anyway? You guys are all loaded, just buy new stuff.”

 

At this Seungkwan finally snapped and started yelling at Hansol in a way he had never yelled at anyone before. “Did it ever occur to you that some stuff have value other than monetary? Did it ever occur to you that even us rich privileged problem-less people have things we care about that have nothing to do with money? You have no idea what you destroyed because you only see us as empty shallow people who care only about material things and power. you. You are pathetic!”

 

At least I don't go around telling lies about people so they get kicked out of school just because I had a disagreement with them!”

 

I have no idea what your delusional mind thinks it's talking about, but if you think any of us had something to do with Joshua getting expelled you're mistaken. Get your facts straight before you go around and destroying people's homes. Don't contact me ever again. Vernon.”

 

Hansol looked up just in time to see Seungkwan's back as he opened the door and stormed out. Having Boo Seungkwan call him Vernon felt like a stab to the heart. Most people called him Vernon. Heck, even the name-tags he wore at all of his part-time jobs said Vernon. But ever since that first time that they had hooked up he had always been Hansol when it was just them. He liked it when Boo Seungkwan called him by his real name. He liked that Boo Seungkwan was one of the few people to call him that. He didn't like that Boo Seungkwan had just called him Vernon. He didn't like the way they left things. He was still angry too, but he started to doubt if destroying their hangout had been a good way to deal with his issues. Like Seungkwan had pointed out, he hadn't thought about the possibility of hitting someone. It also never occurred to him he might destroy something that wasn't replaceable. Or maybe he had just thought he wouldn't care. Why would he care about the Ruby gang? Just because Seungkwan was one of them? He knew Seungkwan to be more than just a snobby rich kid, but he was still very wealthy. He had so much more options, opportunities, and possibilities than Hansol and his friends had, combined.

 

He had just been so angry after Jisoo had told them what had happened. Maybe he was angry with Seungkwan too. If he was being honest it was probably more about Seungkwan than anything else. After all, he didn't really know for sure one of the Rubies had anything to do with Jisoo getting expelled. Hansol sighed and tried to focus on his work again. He'd worry about Seungkwan and what he did later.

 

<>

 

Soonyoung had been living on his own since he was sixteen. His father still paid for everything, but at least he was out of the house. Away from the daily condescending and hateful remarks of his mother. Well, she was only his mother to the outside world. In actuality Soonyoung had been the result of an affair his father had. He never knew his real mother. One time he had made the mistake to ask his stepmother why and she had yelled at him. Telling him about how his father had planned to pay his mistress so she'd have enough money to move away and take care of the baby, but when he found out it was going to be a boy his attitude changed. Suddenly he wanted to raise the child himself. According to his stepmother she only agreed to go along with it because the shame of her husband's affair coming out was an even more unbearable thought to her.

 

So for the first years of his life he had a mother who seemed to hate him, who seemed to favor his older sister in everything, who seemed to be annoyed whenever he tried to get some type of attention, who seemed to hate him even. He learned the truth when he was eight and overheard a conversation between her and his father. I am sick and tired of pretending to be the mother of your bastard. It's humiliating. He had asked his father about it and he had told him the truth. Part of the truth anyway. At first Soonyoung had felt guilty towards his stepmother. For a while he tried to please her. But nothing he ever did was good enough for her. In time he started to resent her for punishing a child whose only crime it was to have been born in the first place. He also started to resent his father for never being there and leaving him alone with someone who hated him.

 

He felt incredibly lonely during that time. His father was working all the time, his sister didn't talk to him much, and most of the kids at school seemed to think he was annoying. Seungkwan was the first real friend he ever made. It had been the first day of middle school. Seungkwan was loud and talked a lot so he was hard to miss. One of his jokes fell flat with most of the people in the class, except Soonyoung who laughed so hard he almost cried. This had been the start of their friendship. For the first time he didn't feel alone.

 

They met Mingyu and Seungcheol when all of their fathers had brought them to the country club for the first time later in the school year. They went to a different school than Soonyoung and Seungkwan, but they bonded over being incredibly bored at formal occasions that the people at the country club seemed to love. Not to mention all the pressure and expectations placed on them by their parents. When it was time for high school they made sure they all got into the same school. They decided they needed a proper hangout and that's when Soonyoung had come up with the idea of him moving out. It was the first thing he ever did that his stepmother supported.

 

Soonyoung and the other three boys had all decorated the hangout together, but Soonyoung had the last say since he actually had to live there. He had made sure that besides basic things such as furniture and a billiards table (that was clearly essential for a good home-life experience) the house was filled with things that really meant something to him. Artworks that Mingyu had made, photos of him and his friends, his cheer squad uniform. He had one, almost obligatory, family portrait hanging on a space on the wall that he never looked at. He had felt more alone living in a house with three other people who were supposed to be his family than he did living on his own. Not that he was actually alone a lot.

 

Throughout high school the four of them spent a lot of time hanging out at his place. When they weren't out doing things their parents would disapprove of they would hang out and play games, watch movies on the huge television, or just hang out doing nothing in particular. Now that they were in university Seungcheol and Seungkwan came over a lot and Mingyu had all but moved in. Officially Mingyu lived at the dorm, but he hated going to university and everything about it so he spent most of the nights over at the hangout or in somebody else's bed.

 

To Soonyoung their hangout wasn't just a building that they had filled with random expensive crap. It wasn't even just his house. It was his home. So when the phone call came that basically confirmed his suspicions about who had been driving that motorcycle and that the police were on their way to arrest him, he felt a weird sense of satisfaction knowing he could probably ruin this person's life.

 

<>

 

Seungkwan returned to their hangout in the evening. He had been wandering around trying to collect his thoughts, but his thought like his emotions were still all over the place. He walked through the room that, despite being almost clear of the broken stuff, still showed signs of what happened earlier that day. The floor was badly damaged and none of the stuff from the walls had been put back yet. He could hear his friends upstairs and he was happy to find them playing billiards like usual.

 

There you are, finally. Did you finish your paper?” Seungcheol asked him.

 

What?”

 

The paper that you said was super important and could absolutely not wait even-though our placed had just been trashed?” Seungcheol reminded him of the lie he had told his friends to go see Hansol.

 

Oh, yeah, no, I totally finished that. Definite A.” He cleared his throat. “So, eh, downstairs looks a lot better.”

 

Better than when you left. Not better than before a lunatic drove his motorcycle through it.” Soonyoung noted. “We hired some able-bodied people to clear out all the broken stuff. They're coming by tomorrow to replace the floor too.”

 

Seungkwan nodded in understanding, but found himself feeling nervous and stressed again thinking about Hansol. He was so mad at him, but he still couldn't find it in himself to rat him out.

 

They arrested the idiot by the way.” Soonyoung informed him.

 

What idiot?”

 

The one who drove his bike in here.”

 

Wha- How did they even know who did it?”

 

Because we told them.”

 

What do you mean? How did you know?” Seungkwan's heart had started to pound in his chest. He was so busy being conflicted about what to do that it never occurred to him someone else might find out it had been Hansol.

 

Don't you want to know who it was?”

 

Oh . Seungkwan had to remind himself that he wasn't suppose to know anything at all. “Oh, yeah. Of course? Probably one of the Daebak gang, right? They all drive motorcycles.”

 

Well, it was one of their motorcycles, but it wasn't one of them who was driving it.”

 

Oh?”

 

My first thought actually went to Daebak, too. But Cheol pointed out that they're not dumb enough to drive their easily recognized motorcycles into someone's house. So, then I thought 'who is dumb enough?' and it hit me. Carrot gang. They're always doing stupid .”

 

Okay, but how do you know it really was them?”

 

Mingyu. He remembered one of their bikes got stolen by one of the Carrots a while ago. He found out which one and who has been using it. So-”

 

Wait. How did he found that out? Are you all a bunch of detectives all of a sudden?” Seungkwan knew he was asking too many questions to the point where it seemed suspicious that he was more interested in how they got the information than the actual information itself, but he couldn't help himself.

 

Probably from Jeonghan, who he's been ing. Anyway,-”

 

I have not!” Mingyu interrupted, highly offended (even-though it was true).

 

Yes, you have. And Cheol's been pissy about it because he wants to sleep with him too and feed him grapes or something.”

 

I do not!”

 

Yes, you do. Look, I get it, he's very attractive, but seriously guys I-”

 

Excuse me, hello? Are we trusting information given to us by a questionable source under questionable circumstances? Why are we assuming the information given to us is correct?”

 

Relax, Seungkwan. Don't be so obsessive. It's not just that. We cross-referenced with the footage from the security camera by the front door. It was Vernon, by the way. And they already arrested him. Found the bike at the garage he works at. Idiot. Driving in here on a stolen motorcycle while there were people inside. Maybe he had plans to seriously hurt us.”

 

Oh, come on, you know that's not true! He probably didn't think we were here, he isn't like that, he-” Seungkwan quickly shut himself up when he saw the look on his friends' faces. He was defending Hansol. No, he was defending Vernon. His friends didn't know Hansol.

 

Anyway...I still need to make my official statement, but the very nice police officer told me that could wait until tomorrow. Let Vernon rot in a cell for the night. They'll want your statement too.”

 

Seungkwan nodded, but he wasn't really listening anymore. He turned around and walked away while mumbling something about another paper he needed to write.

 

<>

 

Chwe!”

 

Hansol looked up at the police officer staring at him from the other side of the iron bars. He had been trying to take a nap on the, very uncomfortable, bed in the corner of the jail cell he was in.

 

Come on, Chwe. Up! You're out.”

 

What?”

 

Someone paid your bail.”