Chapter 17

Don't call

Jun whistled when they entered the karaoke room. The Carrots, if they went to karaoke which they didn't do often, always went to the cheapest rundown karaoke places in town. But this. This was something else. A few bottles of expensive wine were waiting for them in fancy ice buckets, the couches were more comfortable than any bed Jun had ever slept in, and the TV was so HD you could easily count the pores of the people on it. Soonyoung wasted no time in getting this evening started and he clearly wasn't one of those people that needed a drink or two to loosen up before going crazy at karaoke. Jisoo was the first to open up one of the bottles of wine. He poured three glasses and offered two of them to Seungcheol and Jeonghan. Chan rolled his eyes and opened up his own bottle. He didn't bother with a glass.

 

After one more song Soonyoung decided it was time to hand the microphone to someone else. To his surprise it was Chan who took it. He hadn't pictured him as the singing type. He sat down and saw Jeonghan getting up from the corner of his eye. He smoothly sat and leaned in to talk to him, “Since you don't seem to have any intention to talk business, is it safe to assume that you didn't actually invite us out to trade information?” Jeonghan asked with his usual silky smooth voice.

 

Soonyoung took a sip from a drink someone had placed before him, “You want to trade information? Without Woozi here?”

 

Jeonghan's lips curled up into a smirk, “Sorry that he couldn't make it tonight, by the way. He's just so busy. Working very hard. He doesn't have time to come out and play. Now, if you just would have come to the club like he suggested...” His smirk broadened, “But I guess that's exactly what tonight is about, isn't it? You wanted to know if you could get him to leave his comfort zone.”

 

Soonyoung cocked his head to the side and shook his head a bit, “I don't know what you're talking about. I'm just trying to reach out and form a bridge between our people.”

 

Jeonghan hummed, “Of course you are. Doesn't matter either way. Woozi doesn't have a comfort zone. That man is always on edge.” Jeonghan leaned in a little closer and whispered, “Although I appreciate your efforts in offering some physical activity to lower his stress levels. He's been working so hard since you came to visit...”

 

Oh yeah? Did anything come from all that hard work?”

 

Jeonghan smiled, “Not really. Nothing that concerns you anyway.”

 

Soonyoung scoffed and took another drink, “Of course not.”

 

Is that any less than you have managed to achieved since you met with him?”

 

I guess not.”

 

Right. Well, then. If you'll excuse me, I think it's time for me to sing.”

 

The rest of the evening proceeded smoothly and Soonyoung was surprised at how much fun he was having considering the company he was in. Seokmin was hilarious and he wished Seungkwan had been there because he was sure that the three of them together would be wild; Wonwoo had a type of weird dryness about him that Soonyoung could appreciate; he wasn't too sure about Jeonghan, but Seungcheol seemed to be happy enough that he was there. So was Jisoo for that matter. The three of them seemed to be getting along extremely well. More than Soonyoung would have thought. Laughing with heads on each other's shoulders, whispering in each other's ears. Whenever one of them would sing the other two would stare in adoration.

 

Not everyone could appreciate their growing affection, however, and when Jeonghan was laughing far too loudly at one of Seungcheol's jokes that wasn't even funny, Wonwoo pushed him off the couch, “Please move over to another couch and give me some peace.”

 

Wonwoo, happy with the little bit of extra personal space was surprised when that space was almost immediately occupied by Jun who glided next to him.

 

You're funny.” He said to a slightly apprehensive Wonwoo.

 

I am?”

 

Yes.” Jun said as he leaned in.

 

And...cute.”

 

Wha-”

 

The next thing Wonwoo knew Jun grabbed both of his hands and started talking to him in Chinese. He didn't know what he was saying but it all sounded extremely flirty. Wonwoo wasn't used to being hit on. At all. He usually left the flirting to Jeonghan while he sat silently in a corner. Not to mention the fact that a few years ago he and Jun had actually gotten into a fight that had escalated to a fist fight between all three groups. It had been a rare occasion where Wonwoo had been drunk and he didn't even remember how that fight had gotten started. Did Jun forget about all of that or did he just not care?

 

Just as sudden as Jun had grabbed them he let go of Wonwoo's hands again and stood up. He grabbed the microphone and as music started to play he turned to him and said, “This one...is for you.”

 

He started singing some sort of Chinese song, not taking his eyes of Wonwoo who was growing more self-aware by the second. He was conflicted. He wanted to smash the karaoke machine and put an end to this weird flirting, but at the same time he was drawn in by Jun's voice and he thought he could listen to it forever without getting bored. So he just let it happen. Most people here were either too drunk or too involved with each other to probably remember it the next day anyway.

 

Not too long after that it was time to go. “Who's up for a nightcap at my place?” Soonyoung asked looking around the room. Both Wonwoo and Seokmin declined, so did Jun and Chan. Seungcheol had originally planned to go over to Soonyoung's afterward anyway. He exchanged looks with Jisoo and Jeonghan that only they seemed to fully understand, but it was clear from the way Jisoo was clutched to Seungcheol's arm that he was coming with them. Jeonghan smiled too, “Well, I'm in.”

 

Wonwoo leaned in to make sure only Jeonghan could hear him, “Didn't we tell Jihoon we'd report back to him tonight?”

 

Jeonghan scoffed, “We don't have all that much to report, do we? We barely discussed anything that Hoonie might be interested in. He's not waiting for a report about who we flirted with, so I think he can wait a little to hear that we have nothing new to tell him.”

 

I didn't flirt with anyone.” Wonwoo was quick to reply.

 

If you say so. Either way I'm going to go with them.”

 

But...”

 

But, if he really needs a report tonight, be a dear and give it to him? I'm sure you and Seokmin can handle that.”

 

<>

 

Kwannie, we're back” Soonyoung sing-songed, “Are you seriously still working on something?” He could see the light coming from his room.

 

Seungkwan walked out and closed his bedroom door behind him, “Please be quiet! Mingyu is asleep already!”

 

Sorry, sorry. Do you want a drink?”

 

No. And I don't think you should have another one either! You already look like you're about to throw up.”

 

I'm fine! Come on, we're all going have one last little drink.” He grabbed Seungkwan's arm and tried to pull him along.

 

I don't know who you mean by we, but if you're including Seungcheol, Jisoo, and Jeonghan, than I think you'll be disappointed because those three just disappeared into the bedroom together.”

 

Soonyoung turned around and stared at the now empty room.

 

Wait...I'm sure there were people here before? Where did they go?”

 

Seungkwan sighed and guided Soonyoung to the couch, “I just said that they went into the bedroom together. Let's not think about that for now.” He really didn't need the visual.

 

Seungkwan...” Soonyoung whined, “Give me another drink.”

 

Seungkwan got up and walked towards the kitchen, “Okay, okay. I'll get you something to drink.”

 

He came back with a tall glass of water and handed it to his drunk friend who gulped it up. He didn't seem to notice or care that it wasn't something with alcohol in it.

 

So how was tonight?” Seungkwan asked, “Did you talk with Woozi?”

 

Soonyoung made a sound like air leaving a tire, “He didn't show. He just sent a few of his minions.” His eyes lit up, “That reminds me! We have to go out for karaoke together with that DK dude. Or no, wait, he told me his real name. Sock...no that can't be right...”

 

I believe it's Seokmin, actually. And why would we go out with him?”

 

He's totally funny. Our kind of funny, Seungkwan. I love Cheol and Gyu, but let's face it, they're nowhere near as funny as you and me, but Seokyeom...Seokmin...I think us three could do great things together at karaoke. Maybe in life.”

 

In life? Man, you really are drunk. Go to bed.”

 

Oh come on, I'm not that drunk!”

 

You can't even remember the name of the person you suddenly want to spend your life with.”

 

I just said it would be fun if we went to karaoke together!”

 

Okay, okay, fine, we'll go to karaoke with him! Happy now?”

 

Soonyoung squealed happily and wrapped his arms around Seungkwan, “I love you, Kwannie.”

 

Seungkwan sighed and reciprocated the hug, “I love you, too.”

 

<>

 

The next morning Seungkwan had just made a pot of coffee when the door to a certain bedroom opened.”

 

So...” Seungkwan said, startling Seungcheol and Jisoo. Jeonghan didn't seem fazed at all. “...you guys really went straight from cuddling to , huh?”

 

I..we..” Seungcheol coughed in his hand and chuckled awkwardly.

 

Coffee?” Seungkwan offered, he decided not to press the issue any further. For now.

 

Lovely.” Jeonghan replied as he walked over to Seungkwan and the coffee.

 

Why is Soonyoung passed out on the couch?” Seungcheol questioned.

 

Because I couldn't get him to go to his bed last night and I was in no mood to drag him over there.” Seungkwan replied. He poured more coffee and shook his head as he heard Soonyoung groan when Seungcheol shoved him out of the way so he could sit down.

 

They all drank their coffee. Except Soonyoung who would probably benefit more from water and painkillers.

 

Thank you for the coffee, Seungkwan.” Jisoo said with a smile.

 

Someone had to offer our guests something.” He locked his eyes onto Seungcheol, “Although I think it's more appropriate if it's the person who spent the night with them.”

 

Ehm,” Seungcheol muttered, “Do you guys want breakfast or something?”

 

It's passed noon, you know.” Seungkwan retorted.

 

Fine, do you want lunch?”

 

Soonyoung groaned again, “Please don't talk about food right now. I'm gonna be sick.”

 

Thank you,” Jeonghan said, ignoring Soonyoung suffering, “But I really should get going soon.”

 

Do you want me to drive you home?” Seungcheol offered.

 

That's very sweet of you, Cheollie, but someone's coming to pick me up. He should be here any minute. In fact, let me check where he is. I swear I could have heard a motorcycle pull up not too long ago.”

 

While Jeonghan was on the phone Jisoo Seungcheol's arm to get his attention, “You can drive me home if you want?”

 

Seungcheol nodded with a small smirk.

 

But...” Jisoo continued, “Do you think we could take a shower first? I feel a bit dirty.”

 

Seungcheol nodded again, a bigger smirk on his face.

 

Jeonghan was done on the phone and walked over to them, “My ride is here. It seems he got a bit lost on the way over here.”

 

Jisoo and Seungcheol got up and walked him to the door. Jeonghan kissed Seungcheol's cheek and squeezed Jisoo's , “Last night was fun. Both of you have my number, so...don't be strangers.”

 

<>

 

Minghao pulled up at the Rubies hangout, or more precisely Soonyoung's house. Of course Jeonghan wasn't outside waiting for him like he had hoped. He checked his phone and read the messages Jeonghan had sent him.

 

Go in when you get here. Front door probably open. Go through the red door once inside. Just do it Hao! Show your dominance over their space ;)

 

Minghao wanted to punch that winky smiley in its smug face. Time to drag Jeonghan back home to a grumpy Jihoon. Everybody was in such a bad mood lately, himself included. He found the front door to actually be open. What a bunch of idiots. He went inside and spotted a staircase going up on the left and a red door like Jeonghan had said to the right. He opened it but didn't find what he was expecting. He had an immediate flashback to the last time he saw the person he was currently looking at.

 

 

The8, step outside for a bit. Take the tall one with you.”

 

I'm not going anywhere, I'm staying right h-” Mingyu started to object immediately, but was cut off just as quickly.

 

Mingyu, go with him.” Soonyoung said to him.

 

Reluctantly Mingyu followed the slender man out. They stood outside the office in silence. At least it had been silent until certain sounds starting coming from inside.

 

A-are they...? Mingyu couldn't even finish his sentence and he didn't really want an answer to his question. Although it was obvious by now what was going on inside that office.

 

Do you want some ice for your hand?” Minghao offered with a voice that made it sound more like a command than a question.

 

Oh...thanks.”

 

Come with me.”

 

Minghao walked away. Mingyu followed. He just wanted an excuse to not have to stand there and listen to the sounds coming from Jihoon's office. It's not like he was specifically trying to be nice to Mingyu. He led him to their kitchen. He opened one of the freezers and pulled out a bag of ice cubes. He slammed it down on the counter to break them loose. Maybe a bit harder than he normally would have. He wrapped some in a dishcloth and walked over to where Mingyu was standing. He took Mingyu's hand and gently placed the ice on it. Mingyu winced. “Thanks...I can do it myself though.”

 

Minghao, now realizing there was absolutely no need for him to be icing Mingyu's hand for him, let go immediately and turned away with a red face. “, why did I do that...” he mumbled to himself.

 

Aw man...” Mingyu said, more to himself than anything, “This better not get too sore...I really need to finish that painting...” Apparently he had been talking to himself loud enough for the other man in the room to hear.

 

You paint?” Minghao immediately regretted opening his mouth. Why was he talking to him?

 

Yeah...” Mingyu answered slowly. Why was he talking to him? “Just as a hobby though...” he added for some reason.

 

That's cool.” Minghao, stop talking he thought to himself.

 

Yeah...” Mingyu replied again. This was exactly the kind of awkward social situation that made him blurt out weird things. But he was going to control himself, he wasn't going to say anything weird. “I like your pants.” Dammit.

 

Excuse me?” Minghao wasn't sure if he had heard correctly.

 

Your outfit! I like your outfit. Not just your pants!” Mingyu wondered how big the chances were for the ground to split open right now and swallow him whole, “You have a nice outfit...is what I meant.”

 

W-whatever!” Minghao yanked the ice away from Mingyu, “We're going back. You shouldn't even be back here!”

 

You're the one who took me here!”

 

Minghao ignored him and stormed off, Mingyu hurried after him.

 

...

 

And now here he was, standing in what seemed to be Mingyu's art studio.

 

I'm not going to the library again, Seungkwan! I told you I want to work on this painting!” Mingyu yelled, assuming it was his best friend trying to force him to be a better student again.

 

Minghao took a few steps into the room without saying anything. He looked around at the artworks scattered all over the floor and tables. He picked one up and examined it.

 

Did you make all of these?”

 

Mingyu turned around with a jolt and stared at him with wide eyes, “W-what are you doing here? I thought you were Seungkwan...” He eyed him walking around and looking at his art, “What do you want?”

 

Relax, I'm just here to pick up Jeonghan. Where is he? He told me to meet him here.”

 

Mingyu shrugged, he didn't take his eyes off him, “Upstairs probably, I don't know.”

 

Minghao walked closer and glanced over Mingyu's current piece, “So how come all your art is here?”

 

Because...I paint here. This is where I paint.”

 

Minghao turned his head to look at Mingyu while he spoke, “Yeah, but why do you have all your art here? Why not at your own house? You don't live here, do you?”

 

My parents, my father, thinks it's a waste of time. He wants me to focus on becoming a doctor. Like him. He doesn't care about my art...I haven't even told him my work is going to be displayed in an art gallery soon.”

 

Really? That's pretty cool.”

 

It's only a small local art thing...but you had to be selected for it so...” It was surreal that he was discussing his art with The8, of all people. But it felt natural at the same time. He felt like he was genuinely interested in his art. Unlike some of his friends. They supported him, of course, but they didn't really get it.

 

They probably would have continued talking if they hadn't been interrupted by the sound of Minghao's phone. He picked it up and turned his back to Mingyu, “I'm already here, I just walked into the wrong room. I'm in Mingyu's art studio...I guess.” He put his phone away again and looked back at Mingyu. “So...Jeonghan is coming down. So. Bye.” He turned around and started to walk away.

 

Thank you!” Mingyu said. Minghao stopped in his tracks. “For the ice that time...”

 

Minghao turned back around and stared at Mingyu. He wanted to say something back, but no words came to him and before he had brought himself to speak, a voice spoke from behind him.

 

Hao, thank you so much for picking me up. Sorry to keep you waiting.” Jeonghan walked into the room with a teasing smile. Both Minghao and Mingyu glared back at him, “Although I think you found something to fill the time with.”

 

Minghao clicked his tongue and walked to the door, “I wouldn't have had to if your directions hadn't been off.”

 

Oh yes, I'm so sorry. I forgot that they also have a living room upstairs. But at least you got to see Mingyu's art. He's quite talented don't you think?”

 

Whatever.”

 

Outside, Minghao handed Jeonghan his extra helmet and they both got on his bike. They were about to take off when Mingyu rushed outside. He stopped in front of the motorcycle and held out a piece of paper for Minghao to take. It was a flyer for the upcoming art exhibition. “In case...in case you're interested...” As soon as Minghao took it from him he turned around and ran back inside. Minghao could almost feel Jeonghan's grin from behind him. He quickly folded it, hoping Jeonghan hadn't seen that Mingyu's phone-number was scribbled in the corner, and put it in his jacket's pocket.

 

Shut up.”

 

I didn't say anything.” Jeonghan wrapped his arms tightly around Minghao and they drove away.

 

<>

 

Jeonghan just stepped out of the shower when his doorbell rang. With a towel wrapped around his waist and a smaller one around his bare shoulders he opened the door. He stepped out of the way so Jihoon could come inside.

 

Do you always open the door half-?” He asked with furrowed eyebrows.

 

Only when people show up unannounced and I just took a shower. What brings you here, Hoonie?”

 

Do I need a reason to come by?”

 

No, but you never just come by.

 

Jihoon installed himself on Jeonghan's couch, “I wanted to check in about last night.”

 

Didn't Wonwoo tell you anything? I told him to report to you.”

 

Yeah, no, he did, but you went home with them so you spent more time alone with them and maybe one of them told you something new.”

 

Jeonghan shook his head, “No, not really. I basically only spent time with Seungcheol and Jisoo and we didn't spent a lot of it talking.”

 

Jihoon cleared his throat and stood back up, “Right.” He walked towards the door, as he passed Jeonghan he felt him grab his hand. He turned to look at him. Those beautiful eyes of his stared back.

 

Hoonie, is there something wrong? Did you really just come over here for something you could have asked me later at the club tonight?”

 

Jihoon pulled his hand loose and used it to a lock of hair out of Jeonghan's face, “I just wanted to make sure you're all right. We're still not sure about who drugged you that time and...well.”

 

Jeonghan's eyes had a playful sparkle in them, “Oh, honey, I appreciate you worrying over me, but you know that neither Seungcheol or Jisoo would have to drug me to get me into their bed.”

 

Jihoon his cheek slowly with his thumb, “Yeah, I guess you're right.” He pulled his hand back and walked to the door, “See you tonight at the club, babe.”

 

<>

 

Soonyoung stared at the envelope in his hands. He had already read the letter inside about a dozen times. He still wasn't sure what to do with it. He sighed and put it in the inner pocket of the blazer he was wearing for now. It hadn't been that long since the karaoke night, but he figured it was time to pay a visit to W8.