Chapter 22

Don't call

“Seungkwan? Come on let's go!” Hansol stood waiting impatiently by the door. It was taking his boyfriend forever to get ready this morning.

 

“I'm sorry! I just don't have that many clothes over here and I don't know what to wear on a date like this!” Seungkwan yelled from the bedroom.

 

“Anything is fine, Boo Seungkwan.”

 

“Okay, okay, I'm ready. Let's go!” He walked out wearing a simple outfit, but Hansol knew Seungkwan had probably changed at least four times.

 

Hansol held the door open for Seungkwan and followed him out. He was starting to get slightly worried about the success potential of this date. While he knew dollar stores and thrift shops had a lot of things to offer, they also had a lot of useless junk. Hansol wasn't sure Seungkwan was willing to wade through all the crap to get to the good stuff. But Seungkwan seemed way more into this date than he had last night when he had first suggested it.

 

The first place Hansol decided to take him was the big dollar store a few blocks from him house. He was surprised to find that Seungkwan seemed as eager as a boyscout to explore it. In fact, he was a bit too enthusiastic and Hansol had to keep convincing him that most of the stuff he tried to put in his basket was stuff he didn't actually need.

 

“Okay, but how about these fluffy house socks? They're so fluffy!”

 

“They look like skinned Muppets.”

 

Seungkwan pouted, “I know they're a bit silly, but I've never had fun socks like these. But I guess I don't really need them.” He was about to hang them back when Hansol took them from him and threw them in the basket. He also threw in another pair.

 

“I don't need two pairs...”

 

“The other one is for me. So we'll match.”

 

If someone had told Seungkwan a year ago that he'd be on a date to the dollar store with Vernon from the Carrot gang and he'd feel giddy with overflowing feelings of affection because they just got matching fluffy socks, he'd have them committed to a mental institution. But there he was.

 

“Thank you for taking me here, Hansol. I was actually a bit apprehensive about this whole date, but I'm having a lot of fun and I feel like I'm gaining a whole new perspective on the world.”

 

“Wow, the power of the dollar store.” They both laughed and Hansol casually put an arm around Seungkwan's shoulder, “Let's go to the check-out and go to the next place. This is only the beginning of your educational exploration of the budget life.”

 

***

 

For their next stop Hansol took Seungkwan to a second hand store that mostly had things like furniture and other interior design items. He hoped that Seungkwan would find the fun in browsing around and finding weird stuff that made you wonder what went on in the mind of the person who designed it.

 

“Now the thing with furniture is that not all of it is actually cheap. The trick is to find the midway between quality and looks. If it looks too good it'll be too expensive, but if it's too cheap the chances are it's of crap quality and that's just a waste of money too. I bought a cheap- chair once and the whole damn thing collapsed a week after I got it.”

 

“Is that the chair in the corner no-one can sit on covered by clothes and is held together with duct tape?”

 

“That's the one.”

 

“I don't understand why you won't just get rid of it...” Seungkwan said as he started to walk around, staring at all the things. The last time he had been shopping for furniture had been when Soonyoung moved out of his parents' house. That store had looked nothing like this.

 

“Hey, it works fine as a place to throw my dirty clothes on! But I didn't really need a chair for that, so, waste of money.”

 

“What...is that?” Seungkwan pointed at a lamp with a face of pure disgust. Hansol burst out laughing as he picked up the small table clock. Attached to it was a doll in the shape of a mostly heavy-ed woman that seemed to serve absolutely no purpose.

 

“This is amazing.”

 

Seungkwan now turned his disgusted looking face to his boyfriend, “You're kidding, right? You are now officially banded from ever decorating our future house.”

 

Hansol put the clock back down and moved along down the store, “What kind of stuff would you want in our future house then?”

 

Seungkwan looked around in search for something he could imagine living with. He walked over to a dark gray tufted accent armchair, “How about this? It's classy and timeless.”

 

“I think the word you're looking for is boring. How about that one?” He pointed to a yellow armchair.

 

Seungkwan stared at it for a moment, “I guess if we change the color of the walls.”

 

“What walls?”

 

“The walls of our living room.”

 

“You've thought about what color our walls will be?”

 

“Shut up. For one class I have a really boring professor and my mind wanders sometimes. Now, what else can we put in our future house?”

 

They went around the store pointing out things they would and, more often, definitely not want.

 

“I feel like I'll be able to write a book with the title How to Compromise after decorating a house with you.” Seungkwan sighed when they finally walked out the store. They both laughed at that.

 

“Okay, there is one more place I want to take you to. A thrift store that has mostly clothes and smaller items. This place was fun and all, but doesn't really have anything you could use now.”

 

“So, ehm...” Seungkwan said once they had arrived at the thrift store, “...this stuff is clean, right? I don't have to worry about getting lice or something?”

 

“It's fine! Here, put on this hat.” Hansol placed an enormous sunhat on top of Seungkwan's head and moved him to the mirror.

 

“Isn't this a woman's hat?” he said with a frown.

 

“Well, I think you look fabulous.” Hansol picked up another crazy hat and put it on.

 

For a moment they stared at their reflections in the mirror before they burst out laughing.

 

Hansol put both hats back, “Come on, let's see if we can find anything.”

 

They moved over to a rack of shirts and started going through them. Hansol pulled out a big tie-dye shirt and looked at his boyfriend expectantly.

 

Seungkwan looked at him in the way Hansol had kind of expected him to look at him. Like he thought Hansol had lost his mind. “Hansol, no.”

 

He held it up to his chest, “Oh come on. Don't you think it would suit me?”

 

Seungkwan scoffed, “It's a crazy shirt, so yeah, I guess it would suit you.”

 

Hansol hung the shirt back, “I have great idea. We go around the store and put together outfits for each other for about ten bucks. And it has to be a good outfit, not a purposely horrible one. I mean, that might be even more fun, but since I'm trying to show you how much wonderful junk you can find in these places let's go for an actually nice outfit.”

 

“You're on Chwe! I'll totally win!”

 

“Okay...go!”

 

They both went of in different directions in search for clothing they thought would suit the other person. They met back up in front of the changing booths. Seungkwan refused to go first so Hansol showed him what he had found.

 

“First up, is this oversized sweater. I think this color really suits you. I don't think it's actually meant as an oversized sweater, but it's way too big for you so I think it might work! Oh and I got you this hat.”

 

“That's a beret.”

 

“Okay. I got you this beret. And these pants.” He held up a pair of black jeans that actually seemed to be in good shape. Seungkwan saw only one problem with them.

 

“Aren't those a bit...tight.”

 

“That's why they're perfect for you! They'll totally bring out your .”

 

Seungkwan yanked the items from Hansol's hands, “Fine. I'll try it on. Here's what I found for you.”

 

First he handed Hansol the tie-dye shirt from before.

 

“I thought you said it was a crazy shirt?”

 

“Yeah, but you like it. To make it less crazy but still you, I combined it with this simple black hooded jacket and these loose fitting pants. They are comfortable, but also go with the ensemble. Oh and I saw these absolutely weird red sunglasses. I think they're ridiculous but I figured you'd think they're awesome and they do fit your style.”

 

“Not sure if that's a compliment or a diss...”

 

“Me neither to be honest.”

 

They both chuckled and each went into a booth to change. When they stepped out Seungkwan nodded, “It's very you. Except for the pout. What's up with that? Don't you like it?”

 

“You're not wearing the beret...”

 

“Oh well, there's no mirror in there so I don't know what I'm doing.”

 

“Here, I'll put it on for you.” Hansol took the beret from him and got closer so he could put it on. Seungkwan looked at his boyfriend's concentrated face and smiled without even noticing.

 

Hansol looked down and smiled too, “It looks really good on you, Boo Seungkwan.”

 

Seungkwan felt ridiculous for blushing and took a step back, “W-what about the pants? Are you sure they look okay.”

 

Hansol took a step back and nodded thoughtfully. “Hmm, turn around for me. I need to see all of it to make a good assessment.”

 

Seungkwan did as asked and made a quick spin. He was glad there weren't many people in the store.

 

Hansol nodded approvingly, “Oh yes, I was right. Very nice. I have to say, even thought I totally love what you got me, I'm the clear winner. You look super soft and fluffy on the top and dangerously y on the bottom.” He leaned in and whispered, “So the opposite of how you are in bed.” He wiggled his eyebrows and Seungkwan slapped his chest.

 

“We're in public, control yourself. I'm changing back!” He reached for the beret but Hansol stopped him.

 

“No, no, no, wait please. Don't take it off yet! At least let me take a picture!” He took out his phone and took a few pictures of an embarrassed Seungkwan.

 

“Aren't you done yet?”

 

“Almost. Just one more. Come here.” He put their heads together and switched his camera to selfie mode. From the corner of his eye Seungkwan saw a middle-aged woman looking at them. He might be imagining things, but he was sure she looked at them with disapproval. She looked away as soon as she realized Seungkwan had caught her staring, but the damage was already done. Seungkwan immediately grew conscious of just how close he and Hansol were standing. Hansol had one hand on Seungkwan's hip and their cheeks were touching. Seungkwan pulled away.

 

“Wow, man, I'm super hungry. Can we pay for these things and go get something to eat? Please?” he said as he disappeared into the changing booth.

 

“Eh, yeah, sure.” Hansol replied a bit confused by Seungkwan's sudden change in attitude. But he understood when he saw a woman avert her judging gaze as he walked over to his own booth to change back into his clothes.

 

Inside his changing booth Seungkwan took a small bottle out of his bag. He shook out one of the pills onto the palm of his hand and stared at it. It was just because he was getting a headache. It had been a busy day and he was tired.

 

“You almost ready?” Hansol asked him from the other side of the curtain.

 

“Y-yeah. Just a sec.” He quickly swallowed the pill and put the bottle back in his bag.

 

“You okay?” Hansol asked when he stepped out.

 

“Yeah. Just a little headache. I think I really need to eat something.”

 

Hansol nodded, “Let's go get a cheese dog!”

 

“A what?”

 

“You know, one of those corn dogs but with cheese and stuff inside and potato bits and you put sauce and sugar on top. They're awesome.”

 

***

 

They were walking through the street at a slow pace, nibbling at their cheese corn dogs. It felt good to be walking outside for a bit. Without thinking Hansol reached out to hold Seungkwan's hand. As soon as he tried to lace their fingers together Seungkwan pulled his hand away. He cast a quick look at the people walking by, “S-sorry, I just...there are a lot of people here.”

 

“Oh...right. Sorry.”

 

“I'm sorry. I want to hold your hand, I do, but...”

 

“Boo, it's okay. You don't have to explain.”

 

“You want to try my corn dog?” Seungkwan offered in an attempt to lift the slightly sunken mood back up.

 

“Sure.”

 

Seungkwan held up the fried food on a stick and Hansol took a bite.

 

“It's weally gewd” Hansol mumbled with his mouth full.

 

Seungkwan sighed, “Stop walking for a sec. You have ketchup on your face.” He used his napkin to wipe the corner of his boyfriend's mouth and chuckled, “You're like a little child sometimes, do you know that?”

 

“Thanks, mom.” He was glad to see Seungkwan smile again. “So, you want to stay over again tonight?”

 

Seungkwan groaned, “Why did you have to ask me that.”

 

“Why? What's the problem?”

 

“I told Mingyu we'd have dinner together tonight. We've both been busy with studying and he's been doing god knows what with that The8 fellow so we haven't spent so much quality time together lately.”

 

“It's okay. I understand.” Hansol felt a bit disappointed, but he knew how important his friendship with Mingyu was to him.

 

“Don't make that face...let me just...call him. Maybe he has time tomorrow instead.”

 

“You don't have to do that.” Although he secretly hoped he would.

 

“But this day has been so perfect it feels weird to not end it together.”

 

“Well, that's true. Mingyu is a big boy. He'll understand, right?” Hansol wanted to be a little selfish and keep Seungkwan to himself for just bit longer.

 

<>

 

Soonyoung spotted Seokmin standing on the corner of the street, waiting for him. They were meeting for lunch. He approached him from behind and lightly pushed his shoulders. “Boo!”

 

Seokmin cringed and turned around with a look of shock on his face.

 

“Sorry, it's only me. I didn't mean to scare you.” Soonyoung laughed, but his laugh quickly died when he saw just how scared Seokmin actually looked.

 

Seokmin let out a laugh of his own, “Oh no, it's okay. I always get startled easily! Let's go get that lunch!”

 

But to Soonyoung his laugh sounded forced and all the color had drained from his face, “Are you sure you're okay?” He placed a hand on Seokmin's arm and he could feel that he was shaking.

 

“Yeah, yeah. I'm super hungry though!”

 

Soonyoung didn't believe him, but didn't want to press the issue further so he followed him inside.

 

Once they were seated and had some food in front of them Seokmin seemed to have calmed down and they were back to their usual conversations about everything and anything. As Seokmin just showed him a funny video of a dog and closed the app Soonyoung caught a glimpse of his homescreen.

 

“Ehm, it might not be any of my business, but why is Jeonghan your background pic?”

 

“Oh, this?” Seokmin chuckled and showed him the picture again, “He made me change it.”

 

“Why?”

 

“He said I needed to be reminded about how much he loves me everytime I look at my phone.”

 

“He's just a big sap on the inside, isn't he?”

 

“Kinda. With us Daebaks anyway. He also makes us have dinner together.” He smiled thinking about their little get-togethers, “I think he misses seeing us as much as he did before Ji-...well, before. He's the only one who doesn't live in the same building as the rest of us. Well, Minghao didn't before either, but he moved in with me after we closed down the club. Wonwoo lives across the hall and-” He suddenly stopped himself, “I'm sorry. I'm just rambling on.”

 

“No, no, please ramble away. I like to hear you talk about your friends.”

 

“You do?”

 

“You look so happy when you do. When you're happy, I'm happy, bro. Besides, Jeonghan is sort of dating one of my best friends and The8 is giving Mingyu rides on his motorcycle so I've been thinking I need to get to know all of you a bit better.”

 

“Do you...do you think Seungcheol and Jisoo were very upset about Jeonghan sleeping with someone else?”

 

“I'm not sure about Jisoo, but knowing Cheol, yeah. He's a really good guy, but the jealousy and overprotective thing can kick in sometimes.”

 

“Hmm.” Seokmin knew Jeonghan. Jeonghan never seemed to have a problem with jealousy, but that was probably because he always kept his distance emotionally. “I hope they work things out.”

 

“Yeah, me too I guess.” Soonyoung wasn't sure if he actually meant that. He was afraid Seungcheol was getting too attached to someone who wouldn't return those feelings. At least he also had Jisoo.

 

“I'm glad you've got some of your friends living so close, Seokmin. Just like Seungkwan has me living with him, you know.”

 

Soonyoung didn't have to say directly what he meant by that, Seokmin understood. He knew he hadn't masked his true reaction to Soonyoung's earlier greeting very well and he could tell he was worried. “Yeah,” he smiled, “Me too. Even if Hao works most nights and I barely see him. It's so boring to be home all by myself. If you have any suggestions on an interesting hobby? Preferably one I can start tonight.”

 

Soonyoung's eyes lit up, “I don't know about hobbies, but what do you say to a-”

 

Seokmin sat up straight, “Movie marathon?”

 

Soonyoung nodded proudly, “I swear you can read my mind sometimes, man. Let's do it! I'll just go home real quick to get some overnight stuff and I'll come to your place in like an hour?”

 

“Perfect!”

 

<>

 

Soonyoung walked into his living room only to find it covered in clothing and what not. Seungkwan and Mingyu were busy sorting everything in piles. “Hey guys, watcha doing?”

 

“Oh, hey.” Seungkwan replied while he handed a shirt to Mingyu, “Left pile.” He looked at his other friend, “Mingyu is helping me sort all of my clothes to see which ones I'm going to keep and which one I'm going to sell.”

 

“Sell? Why?”

 

“To get money for it, obviously.”

 

“Like I said. Why? If you need money I'll just give you some. My dad feels bad about the whole situation with my mother so he has increased my allowance and he doesn't really seem to care what I do with it. Want a speedboat?”

 

“No, I do not want a speedboat. I want to be more in charge of my own finances.”

 

“Suit yourself. Does this also mean you're going to stop using my skincare products?”

 

“Don't be ridiculous. I said more in charge not live like a caveman.”

 

Soonyoung chuckled. “Gyu, how did Kwan convince you to help him with all this?”

 

“He didn't need to convince me. I'm surrounded by clothes and he's actually asking my opinion on fashion.”

 

Suddenly Mingyu's face lit up and he took his phone out, “Oh! That reminds me! Look at his picture of him wearing a beret!” He proudly showed one of the pictures Hansol had taken of Seungkwan at the thrift store yesterday.

 

“What the hell. How do you have that picture?” Seungkwan asked.

 

“Hansol sent it to me.”

 

“And since when do you and my boyfriend send each other messages?”

 

Mingyu shrugged, “Maybe he felt bad for me because you dumped me last night to sleep over at his place again. Or maybe he understood I'm the only other person who can appreciate just how cute you look wearing a beret.”

 

“I am offended!” Soonyoung yelled out, “Tell him to send me that picture asap!”

 

Soonyoung pushed aside a pile of clothes on the couch and sat down. For a bit he stared at Seungkwan. He hesitated, not wanting to open old wounds, but he had to ask. “Seungkwan? Can I ask you something? It's about what happened to you and Seok.”

 

Seungkwan kept his focus on the clothes in front of him. He didn't like talking about it. He wanted to push it away.

 

“Does it still bother you?”

 

“Bother me how?”

 

“Well...today I was meeting up with Seok for lunch and I kind of poked him from behind. He lowkey freaked out. I mean he was trembling and paler than a ghost. He brushed it off, but I got the feeling it was more than just him getting startled by me.”

 

“I haven't had anything like that. But they jumped us from behind so...”

 

Seungkwan stopped going through his clothes. Soonyoung and Mingyu were looking at him. “I haven't been scared like that, but it's not like I'm left unbothered by the whole thing. Today...Hansol tried to hold my hand and I...I just couldn't do it. I had gotten a lot better at not caring what people around us think of us, but ever since...” He looked up at the both of them. “There's something I haven't told you guys about when we got beat up. Honestly, I don't even know if it really happened or if it was all in my head, but...I could hear them yelling at us. All kinds of homophobic slurs and-”

 

Mingyu walked over to him and put his arms around him. He gently his hair.

 

“It wasn't in your head.” Soonyoung spoke up. “Seokmin heard it too. He told me at the hospital. I didn't say anything to you in case you hadn't heard it. I didn't want to add to the trauma, you know?”

 

Seungkwan nodded. He wasn't sure if it made it better or worse that it hadn't been in his head.

 

“It's really just another reason why it couldn't have been Woozi, right?” Mingyu asked. “I mean...it wouldn't make much sense for him to be a homophobe given the fact that he...” he eyed Soonyoung.

 

“Just because he sleeps with guys doesn't automatically mean he's innocent. I know they couldn't charge him on this due to lack of evidence, but I don't know what to believe to be honest. I know Seok and the other Daebaks are convinced it wasn't him and I'd like to believe them, but it bothers me that they've never really figured out who was behind it.”

 

Seungkwan, looking to change the subject away from this topic, threw a shirt in Soonyoung's face, “Did you say you were out with Seokmin again today?”

 

Soonyoung threw the shirt back, “Yeah, the other night I mentioned a good burger restaurant and we decided to go there for lunch. Oh, that reminds me that I actually should get going. I was really just popping in and out to grab some stuff. I'm heading over to his place for an all-night movie marathon. Feel free to join us.”

 

Seungkwan raised an eyebrow, “Are you sure you'd want us to join?”

 

“Sure, why not?”

 

Seungkwan sighed and shook his head, “Mingyu, do you care to enlighten him?”

 

“Enlighten me? About what?”

 

“Well...you do know that you like him, right?” Mingyu asked him and saw Soonyoung's eyes grow wide.

 

Like him? What are you talking about?”

 

“And we're pretty sure he likes you too.” Seungkwan added.

 

“What? That's...crazy.” But as he finished his sentence he started to think if it really was that crazy. Seokmin had quickly become a close friend and whenever they were together he couldn't help but to smile and wanting to be close to him. He hadn't thought that it could be in a romantic way, but now that he was thinking about it and imagined their relationship going in that direction his eyes got even wider as realization dawned on him.

 

“...I can't go over to his house now.”

 

“Why not?” Seungkwan asked, not understanding what the problem was.

 

“I have to figure out how I feel first. What if this is just another one of my crushes and I rush into it like I always do? I always end up getting dumped. If I go over there now while I'm all confused like this there is a roughly eighty percent change I'll sleep with him. I don't want to ruin my friendship with him.”

 

“No, you know what you always do?” Seungkwan asked of him, “You, for some weird reason, get super needy when it's with someone who doesn't like you and with people you actually like you act distant and, well, like an . That's why all of your ex-girlfriends dumped you after the neediness started to outweigh the presents you bought them. So, here's a crazy idea. How about you just go over there and don't try to sleep with him?”

 

“How do I do that?”

 

“Don't you have any self-control!?”

 

“NO! You're talking to a guy who had with Woozi in his office. Twice. And I don't even like him. Can you imagine how I am with someone I actually like?”

 

“Does this mean we have established you like him, yes?” Mingyu asked.

 

“I...I don't know. I think so. Or at least sort of...I...excuse me I have to call him and cancel.”

 

“Soonyoung...”

 

But he already had his phone pressed to his ear, “Hey, Seok. Yeah, it's me. I'm really sorry but something's come up and I can't make it tonight. Sorry. Bye.”

 

“That was...brief.” Mingyu said. Seungkwan was just staring at him with his arms crossed and a look of displeasure on his face.

 

“I'm going to the gym. I'll see you guys later.”

 

Seungkwan sighed and started going through his clothes again, “What are we going to do with him. Didn't I just tell him that this is what he always does with people he likes? He's so hopeless sometimes.”

 

Mingyu nodded, “Yeah, he is.”

 

“Speaking of hopeless. How's your love life going? Any progress with the scary Daebak?”

 

“His name is Minghao and he's not so scary once you get to know him. No, actually, he still terrifies me. But he's also a lot more than that. Anyway, there is nothing to progress. He's a friend who I can talk to about stuff that I don't really talk to you guys about.”

 

“What stuff? You can talk to us about anything.”

 

“Art stuff. I know you guys try to be interested in it for my sake, but you aren't really. At least not the way me and him are. It's just nice to have someone who gets it like I do, you know?”

 

“I guess. But between you and Soonyoung being romantic messes, not to mention whatever Seungcheol is doing...I'm so tired.”