Chapter 18

Don't call

Hansol had his arms wrapped around Seungkwan's shoulders and his chin was resting on his head. He blankly stared at the screen of his boyfriend's laptop as he was typing away. He was silently wondering when he'd be finished, but he knew better than to ask and risk Seungkwan having a stress-induced meltdown. Instead he placed his hands on Seungkwan's shoulders and started to massage them slowly. He was so tense.

 

Seungkwan hummed and leaned back into the touch, “That feels nice.”

 

Yeah?” Hansol continued what he was doing and felt Seungkwan relax beneath him. “I miss you, Boo Seungkwan.”

 

How can you miss me when I'm right here?” He had stopped typing and was now completely focused on the feeling of Hansol's hands relieving some of the stress in his shoulders.

 

I mean in general. You've been so busy with college and don't even try denying that you still help out the bakery lady when you can. I've been working a lot too...I know it can't be helped for now, but I just...miss you.”

 

Seungkwan leaned his head back onto Hansol's thigh and looked up at him, “I'm sorry. I haven't been giving you much attention lately, have I?”

 

A soft smile was on Hansol's face as he looked down on him, “It's okay.” He leaned in and pecked him on the lips.

 

Seungkwan got up on his knees with a twist of his body so he was able to get on eye-level with his boyfriend, “No, it's not.” It was his turn to lean in and connect their lips, “You know...” he said when he pulled away, “...this report can wait.”

 

Hansol smirked and pulled him back in. He felt Seungkwan's hands on his legs and he buried his fingers in his hair. Seungkwan got up without losing the connection to Hansol's lips and pushed him down onto his back. Just as things were starting to heat up they froze at a slurping sound coming from behind them. Slowly they pulled apart and both looked to find Soonyoung leaning in the doorway, cup of coffee in his hand.

 

Don't you have anything better to do than watch us kiss?” Seungkwan asked as he got up from atop his boyfriend.

 

You would think so, wouldn't you?” Soonyoung answered, ignoring Seungkwan's glare, “Will you two grace us with your presence tonight?”

 

What are you talking about?”

 

Soonyoung sighed and shook his head in fake disappointment. “Were you so busy Hansol's face all day that you couldn't even bother to read the messages your precious friend has sent you?”

 

For your information, Hansol only got here about an hour ago and I was working on an assignment for most of that time.”

 

Well, if you had checked your phone you would know that most of us, and by us I mean Rubies and Carrots alike, are going over to the W8 club tonight where we will be joined by a yet to be determined number of Daebaks. So are you two in? You already missed karaoke.”

 

Hansol took Seungkwan's hand, “What do you say, Boo? It's been a while since we all hung out together.”

 

Yeah, I guess so...”

 

As if Hansol had read his mind he stood up, pulling Seungkwan with him, “But we're going to spend some one-on-one time together before that. It's about time I let you experience my amazing full body massage.”

 

<>

 

Anyway,” Soonyoung said as he buttoned up his shirt, his back facing the other man in the room, “That wasn't really why I came up here.” He turned around and their eyes met.

 

Truth be told Jihoon hadn't intended to repeat what had happened the last time they met, but when Soonyoung had come up to his office and they got a bit too close the same ball started to roll. Their eyes were locked onto each other and without saying a word Jihoon slowly raised his hand and undid one of the button's of the other man's shirt. He met his eyes again. The pace was a lot slower, more controlled, this time around. Another button. Soonyoung reached up to return the favor but Jihoon slapped his hand away and finished removing his shirt to reveal toned arms. Ah, those arms. Soonyoung's lips curled into a smirk when he noticed him staring “Like what you see?”

 

This works a lot better if you don't talk.”

 

Fine by me.” Soonyoung leaned in and kissed him with hunger. This time Jihoon didn't object when he felt hands tugging on his clothes. In no time there were no-more clothes left to take off and once again Jihoon was allowing his desk to get messed up. Not much later Jihoon was back sitting on his chair watching Soonyoung get dressed.

 

He gestured for him to sit down, “So why did you come?”

 

Well,” he said as he took a seat, “all of us our down having a drink.”

 

And?”

 

Weren't you going to join us? You said we could stop by for a drink.”

 

I never said I'd join you.”

 

Soonyoung leaned back in his chair, “Fair enough. However, I kinda wanted to talk to you.”

 

So talk.”

 

I talked with the reporter who wrote the piece. Seems like he didn't do much of the digging himself and got his information secondhand. He told me that he has an obligation to his informants to protect their identity, total bull, but he did give me the name of one guy he had contact with. What interests me is that it turns out that this guy happens to work in your dad's club across town.”

 

Yeah, I know. I already dealt with that one.”

 

Soonyoung huffed, “Were you going to share that information, or what? I thought we agreed to-”

 

I agreed to share information that I deemed to be of any relevance to you. I don't have such information as of right now.”

 

I think it's pretty damn relevant!”

 

Did the reporter guy tell you what he discussed with him? He was looking for information, not giving it. I told you before that I had guys out there doing that. Of course the fact that he talked with that reporter meant he knew about the possibility of an article coming out. Which he failed to inform me about. A mistake on his part. One he paid for. Okay?”

 

Soonyoung grumbled in his seat, “You still should have told me.”

 

Look, if I find out some actual information, not information about who didn't do anything, then I'll let you know, okay? I've been focusing on my guys, but I'll see if I can get that reporter to become a bit more social and share some of his contacts. Will that be all for now? I have work to do.”

 

Soonyoung stared at him clearly discontent with how Jihoon was handling this situation, but Jihoon just stared back, “Well? Will that be all?” He was ready for this guy to get the hell out of his office. This was already taking up more time than he preferred his social interactions to be.

 

The reporter...he did tell me something else.”

 

Oh?”

 

He found my mother. They tried to get her to talk for the article, but she didn't. He asked me if I wanted her contact information. I said I didn't need it, but a few days ago I actually received a letter. From her. I'm not sure what I'm-”

 

No,” Jihoon interrupted him, “We're not doing that.”

 

Soonyoung looked at him confused, “Doing what?”

 

This. You talking about your personal problems that have nothing to do with me. If you're looking for someone to talk to about your mommy issues, it's not me. I don't care enough.”

 

Soonyoung felt like an idiot for even for a moment thinking that he could talk to the man sitting across from him about something like this. In fact, he wasn't even sure why he had brought it up in the first place. He had thought that maybe Jihoon's interest in this went just a little beyond the dirt, but of course it didn't. “All right. Well. You'll let me know when you find something?”

 

I said I would.”

 

Soonyoung nodded and got up. Before he even turned around Jihoon's eyes were already on his computer screen.

 

When he returned back down to their lively table he squeezed himself next to Seungkwan, with Seokmin on the other side of him. He hadn't told anyone about the letter yet, but after his failed attempt to talk to someone about it he really needed someone to listen to him. And care.

 

Where have you been?” Seungkwan wanted to know.

 

I had a thing to talk to Woozi about.”

 

Seungkwan rolled his eyes and put a drink down in front of his friend, “Oh yeah? Did you have a good 'talk'”

 

Soonyoung stared down at the drink, “I got a letter from my mother.”

 

Immediately he felt Seungkwan's hand gently being placed on his leg, “What did it say?”

 

Mostly empty words.” He took a sip from his drink, “She also wrote that she wants to meet me.”

 

Are you going to?”

 

Soonyoung looked to the other side of him. Seokmin had asked the question.

 

S-sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop. I just...it must be weird suddenly getting a letter like that.”

 

Soonyoung took another sip, “Yeah...”

 

Do you want to meet her?” Seungkwan asked softly.

 

Soonyoung shrugged, “I do and I don't.”

 

If you don't meet her, you might end up always wondering what would have happened if you had...” Seokmin spoke up. Seungkwan looked at him with a raised eyebrow as if asking why he was even part of this conversation.

 

Sorry for weighing in! I know I don't know you that well...just my two cents.” he mumbled.

 

Soonyoung looked at him with a small smile on his face, “Nah, you're probably right.” He sank back into the seating and let out an excess of air, “Is it weird if I just text her instead of calling to set up a time and place?”

 

I think you can do whatever you want. If she wants to meet, it shouldn't matter how you contact her for that.” Seungkwan answered.

 

I just don't want to hear her voice for the first time over the phone, you know.”

 

Both Seungkwan and Seokmin nodded in understanding.

 

Besides, I might freak out and back down the moment she picks up.”

 

That's understandable.” Suddenly Seokmin gasped and his eyes lit up like he had just come up with the best idea ever, “You know what you should do!? Right before you meet her go completely wild at karaoke so you're all hyped up and not so nervous!”

 

Soonyoung chuckled, “Yeah, maybe. You coming with me? It's easier to get hyped up with company.”

 

Sure!” Seokmin reacted with immediate enthusiasm, “If you want me to, that is...”

 

Sounds like a plan. Seungkwan?”

 

I'm slightly offended you even have to ask. Of course.”

 

For the rest of the night Soonyoung tried to not think about his mother. This involved alcohol and listening to Seungkwan's celebrity impersonations. The loud laugh of the man on his other side helped too.

 

<>

 

Jun arrived a bit later than the rest, but he spotted their table with ease. All those personalities together was hard to miss. He was happy to see that a certain someone who had gained his interest recently was sitting on the edge of one of the seats with just enough room for one more person. He sat down next to Wonwoo, picked up the drink that was obviously his and took a sip. Wonwoo, ready to tell whoever just stole his cocktail to choke on it, swallowed his sentence when he saw who it was. Only a soft, “You took my drink.” came out instead.

 

Jun placed the drink back on the table and scooted a bit closer, “Sorry, I just arrived and I was so thirsty. I hope you don't mind.”

 

It's okay...” Wonwoo picked up his drink and also took a sip.

 

Oh, we're practically kissing.” he said with a wink and Wonwoo quickly put the glass down. He still wasn't sure if this Jun character was rubbing him the wrong way or exactly right.

 

Jun wasn't someone who needed a drink to loosen up before he could build up the courage to start flirting. In fact, he was completely sober when he reached up and turned Wonwoo's head with his fingertips so they were face to face. He started talking in Chinese again and Wonwoo was lost in the melody of his words with the same mix of confusion and fascination as last time. At least until a voice coming from behind him interrupted them.

 

Don't let him play you, Won. He's just talking about how handsome he is.”

 

Jun stopped talking and looked passed Wonwoo to stare at Minghao, “, I forgot you were here.”

 

So, Wonwoo, is this why you asked me if I had any good recommendations for learning Chinese?” Minghao picked up his drink and took a sip, not unaware of the way Wonwoo's back seemed to stiffen.

 

Wonwoo was contemplating whether he should choke his friend now or later when an arm around his shoulder snapped him out of his thoughts. He looked right into Jun's eyes. He was even closer than before.

 

You've been learning Chinese?” Jun asked with a sly smile on his face.

 

I, eh, I've been wanting to learn it for years!” Wonwoo stammered, “It'll be great for my future, eh, my career, if I speak Chinese.”

 

A mischievous sparkle shone in Jun's eyes, “I'd be happy to help you develop your oral skills.” Wonwoo felt his face heat up. Even more so when Jun leaned in closer and whispered in his ear, “I specialize in private, one-on-one lessons.”

 

Wonwoo,” Jeonghan's smooth voice spoke from the other end of the table, “Don't make me come over there and push you off the couch.” To his delight Wonwoo's face turned a kind of flustered red he had never seen on him before.

 

Jeonghan had kept a close eye on all the social interactions going on at the table tonight. He was glad Minghao had decided to join them, even if he seemed hell bent on keeping a minimum of three people between him and Mingyu. Mingyu, on the other hand, was busy pretending like he could care less where Hao was sitting. Jeonghan also hadn't failed to notice the way Seokmin seemed to have taken to Seungkwan and Soonyoung. Soonyoung especially. It had already been evident during the last karaoke night, but even more so now. He hadn't decided yet if this was a good thing or not. He knew the look Seokmin had in his eyes. He was starting to like him. Jeonghan didn't know Soonyoung well enough to assess his behavior to find out if he was feeling the same way. What he did know was that Soonyoung had most definitely disappeared to Jihoon's office not too long ago and had come back with hair that was just a bit messier than before. Speaking of Jihoon, Jeonghan looked up to his office window overseeing the club and saw caught staring down at them. Their eyes connected. Jeonghan removed his hand from Jisoo's thigh and got out from under Seungcheol's arm that was around his shoulder, “Excuse me for a moment, gentlemen. I'll go see if I can get the owner to join us tonight.”

 

<>

 

Jihoon stared down at the club below him. Maybe a part of him did want to go down and join them. Sometimes he felt a bit envious of Seokmin and Jeonghan's social skills. They had the ability to strike up a conversation with just about anyone and have a good time doing it. Seokmin especially had this warmth about him that just made people like him almost instantly. He never had that. People thought he was cold and distant and maybe he was.

 

His eyes wandered over to Jeonghan who caught his stare. He continued watching as Jeonghan removed himself from the party and disappeared from sight. It didn't matter. He knew where he was going. He didn't move away from the window and sure enough he heard his office door open a few moments later.

 

Jeonghan s his warm arms around Jihoon's waist from behind and placed his head on his shoulder. He followed Jihoon's eyes and landed on Soonyoung and Seokmin engaged in conversation and laughter. “They make a cute pair, don't you think?”

 

Hm?”

 

You know who I'm talking about.” He let go of him and walked over to the desk and sat down on the edge of it. Jihoon followed and stood still in front of him. Jeonghan reached out and started to fix Jihoon's slightly uneven collar, “Tell me, Hoonie, and be honest, you don't really see yourself with Hoshi, do you?”

 

Jihoon scoffed as if the question was ridiculous, “I absolutely don't.”

 

Then maybe let our Seokie know that it's okay if he wants to get closer to him.”

 

He doesn't need my permission.” He averted his eyes, but waited patiently for Jeonghan to finished fixing his clothes.

 

You know just as well as I do that he would never make a move on someone you're involved with.”

 

Me and him are not involved.”

 

Jeonghan hummed and nodded his head. He stood up. Seeing as Jihoon didn't back away he got close enough to be able to catch his scent. His scent mixed with another's.

 

Why don't you come have a drink with us?”

 

No, thank you. I have better things to do than watch all of you sniff each other's pheromones.”

 

Jeonghan chuckled, “You sure? Watching Wonwoo squirm and lose his cool over that Chinese Carrot is quite entertaining. Not to mention Hao's struggles.”

 

Jihoon shook his head and finally backed away so Jeonghan could step away. He thought it was very doubtful he would be able to be amused by what was going on down there. All of his friends were getting involved with either a Carrot or a Ruby, or both, and he felt more and more disconnected. He knew that if the told Jeonghan how he felt he would just tell him to try to be more open to becoming friend with them as well. He didn't want that. He didn't need more friends. He just wanted the ones he already had to stop slipping away from him.

 

Jeonghan returned to the club below and Jihoon returned to his computer to play solitaire. Better things indeed.

 

<>

 

It was a few days later and Seokmin walked into Jihoon's office, finding both him and Jeonghan there.

So, ehm, I'm going to karaoke. With Soonyoung.”

 

Who?”

 

Jeonghan sighed, “Hoshi.”

 

Oh, right.”

 

Remember? I told you about him and his mom and..you said it was fine.”

 

Jihoon nodded, “Yeah, whatever. Do whatever you want.”

 

Jeonghan slapped him lightly on the back of his head, “What he means is: have fun. But isn't it a bit early in the day to go on a date?”

 

Seokmin's eyes widened, “I-it's not a date! We're just friends! Besides, any time of the day can be date time! But it's not a date!”

 

Have fun regardless.” Jeonghan said and sent him off with a wink.

 

<>

 

Soonyoung stood up and handed his microphone to Seungkwan who was on the floor recovering from a laughing fit, “Well, not that I'm not having the time of my life with you guys, but I should head out. Time to meet my mom I guess.” They were about two hours into their karaoke session and Seokmin had been right. Getting hyped at karaoke was just what he had needed to distract himself. In a way it was weird that he was spending this time together with someone who he really barely knew, but, perhaps even weirder, it didn't feel weird at all.

 

Seungkwan got up off the floor, “Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?”

 

Nah, I'm good. Just...you'll be there when I get back home, right?” He felt that meeting his mother for the first time was something he had to do by himself, but he needed the reassurance that his friend would be there waiting for him at their home. Because even though he had tried not to build up any expectations of the kind of person his mother was, he would need to process meeting the woman who had so easily let him go.

 

Seungkwan nodded, “Of course. In fact, I'll go home right now to make sure you won't get back to an empty house!”

 

Soonyoung chuckled, “Hey, don't let me ruin the fun! I'm meeting her in a cafe across town. I'll just text you when I'm on my way. Mingyu and Cheol, too. You'll make it home before me, easy. So...” He looked at both Seungkwan and Seokmin, “Although it must be hard for you to go on without me here, please, continue to sing and dance in my honor.”

 

Seokmin stood up straight and in the same overly dramatic way as Soonyoung he spoke, “The honor is ours, my prince!”

 

Seungkwan scoffed, “Speak for yourself, Seokmin!”

 

Seungkwan, don't ruin our theatrical chemistry please. We already established I'm the prince of karaoke!”

 

You're only the prince because me and Seokmin are kings! Now stop stalling and go meet her!”

 

Soonyoung sighed, “You know me too well, Seungkwan.”

 

After pushing Soonyoung out the door Seungkwan turned to look at Seokmin, “What do you say? A few more songs?”

 

***

 

Some time after Soonyoung had left Seungkwan decided not to wait for a message from him and go home. He was checking his phone almost every minute and his worrying was the fun out of karaoke anyway.

 

He and Seokmin were walking to where they had parked their car and motorcycle. “Seungkwan?” Seokmin asked hesitantly, “Do you think you can let me know how it went? I don't need details or anything. I get that it's private, but...could you just let me know if he's okay? I can't imagine what it must be like for him...It's okay if you don't want to. I just-”

 

Seungkwan interrupted him, “Sure. I'll let you know.”

 

Seokmin smiled his intoxicating smile that was pure happiness and Seungkwan couldn't help but smile back. He hooked their arms together, “It's such a waste we spent so much time hating you guys. Well, you anyway.”

 

Hey, the others aren't so bad either. I know they look like an unfriendly scary bunch but-”

 

He didn't get to finish his sentence. A sharp pain went through the back of his head and he lost his balance. He hit the hard pavement with a smack. He instinctively balled up to try and protect the most vulnerable places of his body as new waves of pain were sent through it. His ears were a haze of Seungkwan's voice crying out in pain along with his own and the sounds of their bodies getting hit, stomped on, broken.