Chapter 7

Don't call

There had been no contact between Seungkwan and the rest of the Rubies since the last time they saw each other. They hadn't contacted him. He hadn't contacted them. There were no charges pressed against Hansol and Seungkwan took that as a good sign. Even so, he had decided it was best to let them come to him instead of trying to talk to them again and make them listen. Partly because he was afraid of being treated the same way all over again. Letting them come to him felt safer. Even so, with each passing day he started to get more worried they'd never come around. In an attempt to not think about it he had completely thrown himself on his schoolwork for the past two weeks. As a result he had barely even spoken to his new boyfriend let alone seen him. He had just finished a paper that wasn't even due for another week and sighed. His neck was stiff, his eyes were tired, and his blood was probably at least 80% coffee by now. He stretched his arms and picked up his phone. One new message.

 

<You work too hard, Boo Seungkwan. Let's go on a date this weekend>

 

A date? This was new territory for them. They had spent most of their time together inside hotel rooms or going to or from them. Not to mention the fact that Boo Seungkwan, although not completely new to relationships and romance, had only ever had one real date and that had been a disaster. However, he longed to see Hansol and it's what couples do, right? Go on dates.

 

<What did you have in mind?>

 

<Don't worry about it. I'll pick you up

around lunch time on Saturday. Where?>

 

Don't worry about it? There were too many unknown factors in this date equation for Seungkwan's liking, but he didn't want to show Hansol too much of the controlling freaking out part of his personality just yet. His first instinct was to call one of his three best friends to ask for advice (or rant about his problems for half an hour after which they would tell him to just calm the down), but he couldn't exactly do that right now. So instead he messaged Hansol back to tell him to meet him in front of a coffee place he often went to and that he was looking forward to seeing him.

 

<>

 

“So you're really taking rich boy on a poor man's date huh?” Jun asked. They were all gathered around the TV, engaged in a fighting game tournament. Chan had suggested to do this on Saturday but then Hansol had to tell them he was taking Seungkwan out on their first official date. He hadn't expected his friends to want to hear about it, but they showed a lot more interest in it than he had thought. Perhaps they were just being nice for his sake, but he appreciated it nonetheless.

 

“You don't think he'll like it?” Hansol replied while attempting to beat up Chan's character on the screen.

 

“I don't know, man. I mean, it's outside right? Apart from the fact that your date plan costs next to nothing, you said he isn't out, so will he be okay with openly being on a date?”

 

“I'm not so worried about the out thing. From an outsider's perspective we could just be two bros hanging out. No-homo. But do you really think it'll matter to him how much money I spend?”

 

“Like I said, I don't know. I have no idea what kind of person he really is, but he's probably used to the best of the best of things.”

 

“Hansol,” Jisoo spoke up as he took the controller from him (Hansol had been utterly defeated by a snickering Chan), “don't worry about it. If he likes you for who you are just be that. If not, he's not worth a penny you spend.”

 

“Yeah I guess...”

 

“You know I don't really care if your date goes well or not,” Chan decided to weigh in, “but...do you think it's a good idea to take him out on your bike? The one you drove into the Ruby hideout?”

 

Hansol hadn't really thought about that. What else was he supposed to do. Take the bus? He could not take Boo Seungkwan out on a date and have him ride the bus. His date plan was poor enough already.

 

“You can use my car if you want.” Chan added, seeing the look of worry on his friend's face.

 

“Since when do you have a car?” Jisoo asked with suspicion.

 

“Since a certain amount of time ago.”

 

“How can you even afford a car?” Jun wanted to know.

 

“It's best not to ask questions you don't want the answer to.”

 

“Chan. You scare me sometimes. But, thanks.”

 

<>

 

That Saturday Hansol pulled up in front of the coffee place Seungkwan had told him about. He was already outside waiting for him. He hadn't been nervous, but seeing Seungkwan standing there made his heart beat a little faster and his hands a little sweaty. Maybe part of him was afraid that Seungkwan would tell him this whole boyfriend thing was a mistake. Or maybe it was the fact that despite being dressed quite casually Seungkwan's outfit still looked like it cost more than all of the clothes Hansol owned combined. Or maybe it was just because he was so in love with Boo Seungkwan that seeing him made his insides twirl in weird circles. It was probably a combination of all of that. He let down the window and told his boyfriend to get in.

 

“I wasn't sure what to wear so I hope this is okay?” Seungkwan mumbled once he was inside the car. He hoped he sounded like he just threw something on instead of revealing that he actually spent about two hours last night deciding what to wear.


“You look great.” Hansol smiled and leaned over to kiss him. Seungkwan let him until he remembered they were out in public and anyone could just look through the window and see what they were doing. He pulled back and quickly plastered on a smile hoping to mask the fact that he didn't want to be seen doing any 'gay stuff'. “You look really good too.”

 

Hansol started the car again and drove off. Seungkwan resisted the urge to ask where they were going and Hansol the radio to avoid any awkward silences. The switch from being lovers in secret to being in an actual relationship was still something they needed to adjust to. The music from the radio helped to relax the atmosphere in the car. As Hansol drove Seungkwan started humming along to the music coming from the radio. He himself didn't seem to be aware that he was doing it, but it made Hansol smile. After about fifteen minutes they pulled up on a big parking lot.

 

“The park?” Seungkwan said as he realized where they were. The biggest park of the city, stretching along the river.

 

“Before you start objecting, I know it's Saturday and there are quite a lot of people, but the spot we're going to is very quiet and no-one else will be there. I promise. We just need to stop by the convenience store first.”

 

“The convenience store?” Seungkwan hadn't known what to expect for this date, but he couldn't say a convenience store had crossed his mind. At least he wouldn't have to worry about running into any of his friends there. He followed Hansol out of the car and into the store that was located near the park entrance.

 

Once inside Seungkwan wasn't quite sure how to behave. It wasn't that he had never been to convenience stores, he just couldn't think of what they would need from one for a date. “So, ehm, why exactly are we here?”

 

“To get lunch.” Hansol said while he grabbed a basket and walked over to the instant noodles section.

 

Seungkwan stared at the selection of noodles of the instant variety. He wasn't sure what was expected of him. “You couldn't have just gotten this beforehand?” Seungkwan's mouth blurted out before his brain could stop him. He cursed himself for letting his quick-to-critique bad habit out and he hoped Hansol didn't think he was annoying. If he did he didn't show it.

 

“Well...I just wasn't sure what you like, so I figured we could pick it out together.”

 

“Right. That makes sense. Ehm, I'll take this one.” Seungkwan quickly grabbed one hoping they could get passed this slightly uncomfortable moment.

 

After making his own choice and adding some drinks and other snacks to the basket Hansol walked over to the check-out counter. “Oh here I got it.” Before Hansol could object Seungkwan handed money to the cashier and paid for everything. Seungkwan didn't notice the sigh Hansol let out. He told Seungkwan to wait a moment. He took out a thermos from his bag and filled it with hot water from the available tap.

 

He walked back to Seungkwan and held out his hand. “We have to walk a bit. Let me carry the bag.” He purposely carried the bag in his hand that was closest to Seungkwan so he wouldn't feel pressured to hold his hand in public. They both seemed to relax a bit more being outside and just walking. Hansol asked about Seungkwan's assignments and listened while he explained about all the classes he was taking. Seungkwan asked Hansol about his work at the garage and pretended to be interested in mechanics.

 

The further they walked the fewer people there were. They took a turn to a smaller path and walked almost to the edge of the park. Hansol stopped. “In here.”

 

Seungkwan stared at the spot Hansol was pointing at. “That's a bush.”

 

“Yeah, but behind the bush is a fence with a hole in it.”

 

“Do you expect me to go in there?”

 

“Yes. Come on Boo Seungkwan. Where's your sense of adventure. Afraid of bugs?”

 

Seungkwan puffed out his chest and scoffed as if offended. “Move.” He walked passed Hansol and pushed the leaves to the side with a dramatic hand gesture. There was indeed a fence with a hole in it and Seungkwan went through it. He looked around and realized he was standing in what looked like someone's backyard. A really big backyard, but it definitely looked like private property. Hansol soon followed and took Seungkwan by the hand. He felt Seungkwan flinch but he held on tight. “There's no-one here. This place is owned by some old dude and he barely comes out of his house. Not far enough to see the area close to the river anyway.” He guided them to a spot that overlooked the river and was shielded from view by a few trees. He took off his jacket and put it on the grass for Seungkwan to sit on. “And even if he did he's super slow.” He added. “We'd be out of here before he could say dentures.”

 

“First date and you already have me trespassing. You might be a bad influence on me.” Seungkwan said with a tease in his voice and sat down.

 

Hansol shrugged and sat down next to him,“We're not hurting anyone. I blame society.”

 

“Oh you do, do you?”

 

“Yeah. If they make us feel bad for being in love and out in the open what choice do we have?”

 

“You actually have a point there.”

 

“Oh and if I remember correctly you had us break in into your dad's hotel when we first hooked up.”

 

“It's not breaking in if you have the key.”

 

“Did your dad knew you had the key?”

 

“...”

 

“Didn't think so. No, Boo Seungkwan. You're just as bad as I am.” he said with a wink.

 

The next few hours they ate the food they had bought, talked about everything and nothing, and stared out over the river just enjoying being together. Seungkwan felt more relaxed than he had in weeks, maybe months. Something about being with Hansol allowed him to feel calm. He almost forgot they were on someone else's property.

 

“I still feel kinda bad for sneaking into some old man's yard.”

 

“Don't feel too bad, Boo. He's the one who told me about the hole in the fence in the first place.”

 

“What? You know the person who lives here?”

 

“Well, sort of.”

 

“Stop being vague-” Seungkwan stopped mid-sentence and frowned.

 

“What's wrong?”

 

“I just realized I don't know your full name...”

 

“Hansol Vernon Chwe.”

 

“Oh, so Vernon is actually part of your name, not just a nickname or something?”

 

“Yeah...”

 

Seungkwan sighed and let himself fall back onto the grass. “Sorry for being a crap boyfriend who knows nothing about how not to be a crap boyfriend.”

 

Hansol lay down next to him. “You're not so bad. No worse than me anyway.”

 

“If that's true I must be a pretty good boyfriend.” He propped himself up on his elbow and used his other hand to brush a lock of hair out of Hansol's eyes. “I like your hair like this. It really suits you.”

 

“Glad to hear you no longer think my hair is stupid.”

 

“When did I ever say your hair was stupid?”

 

“That day when we first got together.”

 

“Oh yeah, I guess I did say that. In my defense it did look pretty stupid.”

 

“I changed it after that, you know.”

 

“Now that you mention it, your hair was different the second time we got together. What made you change it?”

 

“You saying that it looked stupid.”

 

“So just like that you just changed it? For me? That's very sweet in a weird way.”

 

Hansol reached up his hand and placed it on the back of Seungkwan's neck, he gently pushed him down so their lips could meet. Seungkwan wasn't too worried about being outside. They were away from the public eye after all. So he kissed him back. He could still taste the spiciness of the food they had earlier on Hansol's lips. He made sure to kiss him until the lingering taste of food was gone and all that he tasted was Hansol. He'd choose that over food any day.

 

There was a ruffling sound coming from somewhere. It could have easily been nothing, but it was enough for Seungkwan to get distracted and look up, “Did you hear something? I swear I heard something.”

 

“Probably just a squirrel or something.” Hansol tried to get Seungkwan to continue making out with him, but instead Seungkwan shot up straight.

 

“There are squirrels here!?” He frantically looked around with wide eyes.

 

“Yeah, probably...why are you freaking out?”

 

“I-I'm not freaking out. Squirrels are just...evil. All rodents are evil. I had a hamster once and it tried to kill me.”

 

Hansol just blankly stared at his boyfriend and blinked, “Squirrels are evil and a hamster tried to kill you? Aren't you being a bit over-dramatic?”

 

“No! I had a pet hamster and it was always glaring at me and following my every move. It was definitely plotting my death. And a hoard of squirrels attacked me when I was little. Evil.”

 

Hansol tried to suppress his laugh but he couldn't help chuckle at his weird boyfriend. “It's getting pretty late anyway. Wanna get out of here?” He stood up and held out a hand to help pull Seungkwan up, “Before the squirrels attack.”

 

Seungkwan glared at him, but took his hand anyway.

 

“By the way, are you aware of the fact that there is a hole in your shoe?” Seungkwan pointed out once they were out in the park again, slowly walking back in the direction of the parking lot.

 

Hansol looked down. “Oh yeah. They're pretty old, but they're very comfortable so...” He didn't want to mention how he only had two pairs of shoes. Both of them old and used to the point where they were more tear than wear.

 

“We should go shopping next time. I'll buy you some really nice shoes.”

 

Hansol didn't reply. He spotted an ice cream cart nearby and changed the topic quickly. “Do you want ice cream? What flavor do you like?”

 

“Choco-mint! It's the best flavor. Obviously. And here,” he reached for his wallet and handed Hansol money to pay for the ice cream. He raised his eye brows in question when he didn't take it.

 

“Stop it.” Hansol said with a stern voice. “Stop trying to pay for everything.”

 

“I was just-”

 

“And I don't need you to buy me new shoes either.”

 

“Why are you getting mad? I'm just trying to be nice, it's no big deal.”

 

Hansol knew that was probably true, but Jun's voice in the back of his head saying that Seungkwan was used to the best of the best made him doubt things. “Money is never a big deal when you have it. I know I can't afford much and this hasn't been like a fancy date or anything, so if that isn't good enough for you-”

 

“What are you talking about? I'm only offering to pay because I have more money and-.”

 

“Don't you get how that makes me feel? I planned this date. If I ask you if you want ice cream I don't want you to pay for it. I know I'm poor, but I won't offer you anything I can't give you.”

 

“I'm sorry. I didn't think...You've just been so sweet and great and I just wanted to repay you somehow and I don't know what else I can-.”

 

“Repay me? Seungkwan, this isn't a business transaction or something. Can't a man just take his boyfriend out because he wants to? I'm not dating you to get things from you except just you.” He turned around and started walking again, “I'm not in the mood for ice cream. Let's just go back.”

 

His pace was quicker than before but he slowed down again once Seungkwan caught up and he felt him intertwine their fingers.

 

“Is it okay? People might see.”

 

“I know, but...I just really wanted to hold your hand right now.”

 

Hansol didn't say anything else, he just squeezed his boyfriend's hand and continued their stroll back to the car. People didn't notice or didn't care about them holding hands. Or maybe it was them who didn't notice or care about other people this time.

 

When they reached the parking lot and Hansol was about to open the car Seungkwan let out an excited yell. “Ah! Look! There's a photo booth over there. Come one, we're taking pictures. We have zero photos of us together.” He dragged Hansol over to the booth and took out his wallet again to get some coins.

 

“Since I suggested it, it's okay if I pay this one, right?”

 

Hansol shook his hand and chuckled, “Yeah, go ahead. Especially since we could just take pictures with our phones for free.”

 

“It's not the same. Now get in.”

 

The first picture was cute. The second picture was a kiss on the cheek. The third picture a kiss on the lips. They didn't even notice the fourth picture being taken. The heat in the small booth rose quickly. Hansol's hand slid under Seungkwan's shirt as his tongue was busy exploring his mouth, but before it went any further Seungkwan stopped him.

 

“What's wrong?” Hansol asked, slightly out of breath.

 

“Nothing. Nothing is wrong. It's just...never mind.”

 

“No, what is it?”

 

“I just...don't want to do it in a photo booth.”

 

Hansol nodded in thought and asked, “What about in a car? We can drive to one of the lookout points close to the forest edge. I'm sure we can find a place without people.”

 

Seungkwan nodded hesitantly and followed him to the car. During the ride up to the lookout point Seungkwan was quiet. Hansol just thought he was a bit nervous and didn't think anything else of it.

 

As predicted it wasn't difficult to find a spot with no other people around. The sun was setting, but it was cloudy by now so there wasn't much of a view.

 

“Let's move to the backseat. More space.” While Hansol was clumsily climbing over the seats to get to the backseat, Seungkwan simply got out off the car and went to the backseat through the door.

 

“Ah, yes. That would have been easier.” Hansol laughed. His smiled disappeared as he moved closer to Seungkwan. “Doesn't matter. We're both here now anyway.” He started kissing him and gently pushed him down on the backseat. It didn't take him long to move his hand under his shirt again. Seungkwan wasn't kissing him back as enthusiastically as he had before and was being very passive overall, which was unlike him. Hansol started to unbuckle Seungkwan's belt, but stopped when he felt him flinch. He broke their kiss and looked at him, still hovering over him.

 

“Is something wrong?”

 

Seungkwan looked away and bit his bottom lip like he wasn't sure what to say.

 

“Seungkwan?”

 

“I...I don't want to do it.”

 

“Oh...” Hansol sat back up, giving Seungkwan space to do the same. “Did the date ? Are you mad at me?”

 

“What? No, it was great, really. I just...now that we're really together I'd like to take it slow.”

 

“We've already done it like a hundred times though?”


“I know, but it's different. Now it's not just about and...well...it makes me nervous or something. I just don't want to force it.” Looking at Hansol's slightly confused and disappointed face made all of Seungkwan's insecurities burst to the forefront and he let out a nervous laugh, “You know what? Forget I said anything, let's just do it.”

 

“No, hey, come on. If you feel like you want to wait and take things slow that's what we'll do.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Of course. Why didn't you just say so before?”

 

“I dunno...” Seungkwan mumbled, “I guess I was afraid you'd get mad at me or something.”

 

“If I ever get mad at you for being honest about not wanting you can punch me. In the balls.”

 

Seungkwan looked up with an amused look on his face, “How romantic.”

 

“I'm serious, Seungkwan. I'm sorry if I made you feel like you need to give me so I'll keep liking you or something. I want to have with you because I like you, I don't just like you because of . I know we did things a bit backward, but-”

 

“You didn't make me feel that way. It's just my own brain being...my brain.”

 

Seungkwan stared out the window and it was quiet for a few moments. Hansol stared at him, he looked a bit sad. “If only I had been honest about my feelings sooner.” Seungkwan spoke softly, “Maybe it would have prevented the whole motorcycle thing and my friends wouldn't hate me so much...”

 

Hearing Seungkwan talk about what had happened as if it was his fault even though it had been Hansol who had been stupid enough to ride a motorcycle through a house made him feel guilty about the rift it had caused between Seungkwan and his friends. Not knowing what to say he just reached out and held Seungkwan's hand. Seungkwan suddenly looked away from the window at the touch as if he had forgotten Hansol was even there with him. He smiled weakly and scooted over so he could put his head on Hansol's shoulder.

 

“Thank you for the date.”

“You're welcome.”

______________________

*Chan probably won the car in a poker game or bought it with money in a poker game or something
*Hansol didn't explain in the story but he knew the old man because he came to the garage he works at once with his classic car that he needed a part for.
*Okay that whole talk about squirrles...I don't even know tbh. I was just typing and it just happened, lol. There is a point to it...sort of...you'll see
*Was their little fight confusing? Seungkwan just felt like the only thing he has to offer Hansol is money, while all Hansol wants is Seungkwan himself. Hearing that made Seungkwan really happy, and the fact that Seungkwan was willing to hold Hansol's hand in public made Hansol happy. So...they both happy.
*Somehow it's almost always Hansol kissing Seungkwan first. Hmm...

Okay, the next one is not a good one for Seungkwan. My poor baby...why do I make him suffer T__T I'm already almost done writing it so the wait shouldn't be too long!

Thanks for all the love already so far! <3 


(P.S. I'm living for all of them being so active on instagram. Mingyu (Mingay?) is being his fabulous self and it's amazing. Fun fact: I made a mistake just now and instead of 'active on instagram' I typed 'active on Seungkwan'. lol)