Epilogue

Don't call

A BIG thank you to all of you who have made it this far!! I completely forgot to update here, I'm so sorry!! (I already completed it on ao3...) so I mass updated from chapter 29 LOL

It took me about 2 years to write this fic and I'm very grateful for all the love it received! Please enjoy the end of this story.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Seungkwan opened the front-door and groaned as he struggled to get the heavy grocery bags he was carrying to the kitchen. He almost tripped over one of the uneven tiles of the kitchen floor, but managed to dump everything on the counter in one piece. Re-doing this floor was one of the things still remaining on their fixing-up-the-house to-do list. The list had already gotten a lot shorter from when they first moved in after buying it. The leaks in the roof they had discovered with the first rainfall had been taken care off, the hideous wallpaper in the living room was long gone, and their modest backyard no longer looked like a jungle. Their house was definitely far from perfect, but they had painted the walls, filled it with furniture, and hung their pictures on the walls. No, it might not be perfect, but it was theirs.

 

Hansol followed Seungkwan into the kitchen and placed the bags he had been carrying on the kitchen counter as well. He looked at the mountain of food.

 

“So...do you think we have enough for tonight?”

 

Seungkwan folded his arms and stared at it, “I think we bought enough to feed an orphanage, but then again Mingyu will be here and he can about eat his own body weight and let's not forget Jihoon, he can definitely eat his own body weight.”

 

Hansol laughed as he started to take everything out of the bags. “What time are Mingyu and Hao getting here? I want to go over a few things for next week before the others arrive.”

 

“What things? I told you everything is as good as taken care of.”

 

“I know, but we're not done yet with unpacking all of the supplies and the website needs to be updated with a photo of the shopfront as soon as Mingyu is done painting our logo on it and I haven't totally figured out how the client database thing works and-”

 

“Honey, babe, love of my life...” Seungkwan interrupted Hansol's stress rant and he got closer, wrapping his arms around his waist, “...relax. Everything will be fine. Mingyu will finish on Monday, we'll get the picture up by Tuesday, you and Hao still have a few days to get everything in order and Seokmin has offered his help, too, remember?”

 

Hansol took a deep breath and nodded. He normally wasn't one to get so stressed, but he just wanted everything to go well when he and Hao finally opened their joined car and motorcycle repair shop next week. Over the years they had gotten a lot closer through their boyfriends and after they had both gotten their mechanic degrees the idea of opening a business together had arisen. It had taken them a few years to make it a reality, but next week was the big opening. Seeing as not all of their friends would be able to make it that day, they had decided to have them all over for dinner this weekend.

 

Seungkwan cupped Hansol's face with his hands, “Besides, I'll be there too and if there's one thing I'm good at it's organization and making sure everything runs smoothly. I'll be sure to think of all the things you and Hao might forget.” He leaned in and placed a loving kiss on his husband's lips. He pulled back and smiled at him. “I can't believe I'm the one who has to calm you down because you're stressed. How the tables have turned.”

 

Hansol clicked his tongue with a playful smile tugging at the corner of his mouth, “You still stress out plenty, Boo Seungkwan.” he said as he pulled him closer.

 

Seungkwan let out a soft chuckle, “I know, I know. But you have to admit I'm a lot better at handling my stress than I used to be.”

 

“Except when it involves Mingyu.” Hansol pointed out. He leaned down and placed a soft kiss in Seungkwan's neck.

 

“It's not my fault that he is so disorganized and I have to do everything! It's only fair that I get to yell at him a bit sometimes. Especially now that I'll be helping you guys manage the shop he can't keep pushing all of his work that isn't actually painting onto me. I'll still be his agent but-” he interrupted his own rant to suppress a moan. “Hansol...” Seungkwan objected as he tried to resist the man kissing his neck, “...we'll have guests soon.”

 

Hansol came back up and bit his lip, “How soon?”

 

“Hmm...a few hours?” Seungkwan had already taken him by the hand and was leading him out of the kitchen and up the stairs to their bedroom.

 

<>

 

Seungkwan hurried down the stairs and into the kitchen. He quickly got back to the food. “, we'd better get a move on if we want to finish preparing everything before they get here. I can't believe I let you distract me like that!”

 

“Hey, it wasn't me who wanted to go a second time. You're lucky I can still walk after what you did to me.” Hansol said as he, a lot more relaxed than before, started to help him.

 

“Wha- I- Shut up! And hand me that watermelon.”

 

Hansol had to chuckle, but still followed orders.

 

“Oh, by the way,” Seungkwan said as he started making a fruit salad, “My mother called and she wants to have dinner with us. Should I tell her you're too busy and just go by myself again?”

 

It had taken a few years and a divorce from his father, but over the last year and a half or so, Seungkwan's mother had been reaching out to them. At first Seungkwan had refused to see her, but after a few more attempts from her side he had eventually agreed to meet her. The first time Hansol had come along as well, mostly for mental support. It was strained and uncomfortable, but the wall between them started to break a little when Seungkwan saw how genuinely upset and sorry she was about all the things she had missed. He still didn't see her much, but now at least there was some sort of relationship to work on. Seungkwan knew how much Hansol still didn't like her and he never forced him to come along whenever he met her for lunch or dinner.

 

Hansol sighed, “Nah, it's okay. She's been making an effort, so I guess I can too.”

 

Seungkwan placed a quick peck on his cheek, “Thank you.”

 

<>

 

As planned Mingyu and Minghao arrived first to help out. Seungkwan and Mingyu finished up in the kitchen while Hansol and Hao set up the table and barbeque out in the backyard.

 

They were just about ready when the doorbell rang and more people started to arrive. First were Seungcheol and Jisoo, punctual as ever. Out of all of them Seungcheol was perhaps the most difficult to plan anything with nowadays. He had started working for his father's company right out of college and was constantly busy. But he enjoyed what he did and after a long day there was nothing that he loved more than to come home to Jisoo.

 

They greeted everyone and went to sit outside in the backyard where Hansol was attempting to light up the barbeque. Seungcheol decided to offer his assistance while Jisoo sat down next to Minghao. “Aren't Soonyoung and Seokmin here yet?”

 

Minghao shrugged, “Just because we live in the same house, doesn't mean I keep track of what those two are up to all the time.” He held up his glass and accepted the wine Jisoo had brought with him. “I think they went to an amusement park with Chan or something.” he added.

 

After Seungkwan and Hansol had moved into their first apartment together it hadn't taken long for Seokmin to move in with Soonyoung. Mingyu was reluctant to leave his art studio and eventually they had worked out a plan where Mingyu and Minghao would live together on the ground floor, while Soonyoung and Seokmin occupied the upper floor of the house. It worked well for them and neither couple saw any reason to change their current situation for now.

 

Mingyu came out of the kitchen with a tray of different sauces and bread. He placed it on the table, “Don't fill up on bread, guys. There's plenty of other food, too.” He said, munching on some bread.

 

Seungcheol looked at his watch, “Would be great if the others could get here soon. We've tamed the flames and I'm starving.”

 

Just as he said it they could hear a car pulling up. It was the trio of Seokmin, Chan and Soonyoung, arriving in Chan's latest car. When he had first gotten it, it raised a few brows, but he had assured them that he had 'won it fair and square'. He hadn't specified with what exactly. Chan still maintained his 'don't ask about my business' attitude, but that was mostly for show. After working a string of odd-jobs, he was now working as a security guard in Soonyoung's father's office. Despite the fact that Soonyoung never did get back to wanting to work for his dad himself, he had enough pull to get Chan that job and as it had turned out he was actually really good at it. He was well on his way of working his way up the ranks. He had also finally worked up the courage to ask out the cute barista at the place where he got his morning coffee.

 

It was only a few minutes later that the next two guests arrived. Before joining the others Jihoon and Jeonghan first went up to the spare bedroom to dump their overnight bag. Seeing as they had to travel a bit to get here, they usually stayed the night at someone's house when visiting. In the end Jihoon hadn't moved back and had stuck with his plan to open up the bar under his new apartment a few towns over. The thing that hadn't been in his plan, however, was Jeonghan joining him. Almost straight away after that night he and Seungkwan had barged in, Jeonghan had quit his job and moved in with Jihoon. He was forever grateful for this. Not just because he got to spend his days with the person he cared most for in this world, but if it wasn't for Jeonghan he was sure to have lost contact with the others and with it a part of himself. But Jeonghan wasn't going to let that happen. He demanded monthly Daebak dinners and made sure they kept in touch with the Carrots and Rubies as well.

 

Wonwoo and Jun were the last to arrive. “Sorry we're late...” Wonwoo apologized as he and his boyfriend took a seat at the crowded table, “...but someone...” he continued with a glance in Jun's direction, “...forgot to close the door to the room where we're keeping the kittens and they got out. It took a while to find all of them.”

 

“I said I was sorry...” Jun pouted. Under the table Wonwoo placed his hand on Jun's to let him know he wasn't actually all that upset. Over the last few years they had added a few new members to their family. Not long after moving in together Wonwoo and Jun adopted another cat from the shelter. It was a playful little tomcat and, luckily, Wonwoo's slightly older cat had taken a liking to him in her own tsundere way. When they moved to their current apartment and got a little bit more space, they decided to adopt one more cat from the local shelter. What the shelter had failed to notice was that she was pregnant and so now their house was somewhat taken over by their feline companions.

 

“Jeonghan, you guys are still coming over tomorrow to look at them, right?” Wonwoo asked.

 

“Yes. We're spending the night here, but I was thinking we'd come around after lunch.”

 

Jihoon looked between the two of them, “What are you talking about?”

 

Jeonghan sighed, “I've come to accept my fate as a future cat daddy with you as my partner, so I figured we might as well get one that's related to one of Jun and Wonwoo's cats to keep it in the family, so to speak.”

 

Jihoon raised an eyebrow, “You want us to get a cat?”

 

“I know you want us to get a cat and I'm sure I'll love the little thing too.”

 

“Aww, that's sweet.” Chan said, but ruined the moment by adding, “But I thought Jihoon was your cat daddy.”

 

“Chan, please, we still have to eat don't make everyone lose their appetites.” Soonyoung half-joked from across the table. “Can we perhaps leave talk about who is whose daddy at least until after we've all had a drink or two?”

 

“Or...' Seungkwan said, “...we can just not talk about that at all. Tonight is about Hansol and Minghao finally opening their shop next week and about the fact we've actually managed to all get together at the same time again.”

 

“I agree,” Seokmin spoke up, “It's so rare for all thirteen of us to be able to meet like this nowadays.”

 

“I blame Jeonghan and Jihoon for living so far away.” Wonwoo said as he sipped his wine.

 

“Don't blame us. We're not the ones constantly on fancy business trips.” Jeonghan retorted with a teasing smile in Seungcheol and Jisoo's direction.

 

“Technically, he's on business trips. I just tag along for the fun parts.” Jisoo responded.

 

“I'll drink to that.” Jeonghan raised his glass and the others joined in.

 

The rest of the evening was filled with food and conversation. Some caught up with each other about what was going on in their lives, others reminisced about old times, some just talked about whatever. Without any of them really noticing the time flew by in the most peaceful way.

 

Seungkwan had gone inside to use the bathroom and as he walked back out he stopped to take in the scene in his backyard. He leaned his shoulder against the door opening and looked at all the people sitting at the table, talking and laughing. He couldn't help but smile and feel just a touch overwhelmed with emotion.. Hansol caught his stare and got up. He walked over to him and gently took his hand.

 

“Why are you standing here all by yourself, Boo Seungkwan?”

 

Seungkwan wrapped one arm around his husband's waist and pulled him closer. He leaned his head on his shoulder. He took a deep breath and released it slowly. “I love you.”

 

“I love you, too.”