Chapter 18

When the Dawn Breaks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The letter she left on the kitchen counter was stained with tears along the bottom of the paper. Trying her best to leave in one piece, she quickly gathered her things and exited their shared dorm.

 

Looking for an apartment wasn’t a problem at all for Wendy, as Seunghee had bought an apartment for herself so whenever she came to visit Korea, she’d have a place to stay. Wendy had full access to the condo, and it wasn’t too far from the dorms. She was about maybe a 20 minute walk from the group dorm, but it wouldn’t be a problem because she wouldn't have to worry about cleaning up after everyone, doing a whole lot of chores for everyone, cooking and washing clothes. The condo was close to them, but it wouldn’t be likely that they would run into each other as they each of the members had a different lifestyle and agendas for going out. Wendy usually would go grocery shopping in the early morning, beating out the crowds rushing to buy things in the afternoons. The members usually only went in the afternoons and early evenings. Wendy only exercised in the mornings as well, in the gym or by the Han River park, running by the water. The members only exercised at the gym on certain days and hardly went to the park.

 

--------

 

Joy, Yeri, Seulgi, and Irene were on their way back on the airplane from Canada, not realizing what the future would hold for them in the next few hours when they arrive home.

 

The sadness remained in their eyes as they weren’t able to come and get Seungwan. Yeri leaned her head on Seulgi, whose eyes were staring out into oblivion in the window of the plane. Seulgi was just empty. Empty without her best friend. She couldn’t feel the pain anymore of her clenching heart, as all she felt was numbness in her chest and soreness in her eyes. But remembering what Seunghee said, Seulgi managed to have a tiny little grin as she thought,

“She really came back early to Korea for us.”

 

Behind them sat Joy and Irene. Joy listened to some music, trying to calm her pounding heart and mind, thinking about their whole situation as a group. All she could think about was how could they let this get so out of proportion? How could they all not realize it? And yes, it was a little too late to be thinking about it, but it doesn’t mean Joy wasn’t repenting of the guilt and shame she felt every time she remembered Wendy lying helplessly in a hospital bed.  

 

Irene stared out the window at clouds. There were little clouds. Big clouds. Clouds that had some weird shapes. The clouds that her and Wendy used to stare at in the bright sky together.

 

“Anything could be anything. That cloud could be a bunny. Or that cloud could be a motorcycle. That cloud could be a giraffe. It just depends how you look at things Unnie! You just have to really open up your mind and imagine.” Irene chuckled bitterly, almost tearing up again at the thought of Wendy’s words with her lying down on the beach facing the sky.

 

“Seungwannie forgive me. Please. I need you. We need you.” is all Irene thought when she closed her eyes, hoping that Wendy would be at their dorm, ready to surprise them all when they got back home.

 

--------

 

Back in Korea once more, and more motivated to make things right than ever before. ⅘ of Red Velvet returned to their dorms after what seemed to be one of the longest flights they’ve ever been on, especially without their fluffy little goofball making the trip extra memorable and lively. But entering the house was a lot colder than usual. Yes, Wendy wasn’t there for a while, which made being home a lot sadder and drearier, but this feeling was different. Yeri stood at the center of the dorm, taking in her surroundings, even though she probably memorized the house and all of its belongings.

 

“Did we get robbed? I feel like something’s missing… But from the looks of it, everything seems to be in place….” Her thoughts were cut short when she eyed from the front door a water

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter