the one who (didn't actually) got away

The Adventures of Junmyeon's Little

Another day, another lesson to make.

Those were the words Junmyeon would say to himself as soon as he is done with his schedule. A heavy sigh came out from his mouth as he sat in his car, usual for himself to go home like a routine. He felt guilty as he remembered---Sehun is going to eat dinner alone as he is going to be stuck on his study again.

Again and again, he has failed as a mother to him.

A disappointment.

But remembering how Kris complained about their fridge being empty, Junmyeon's face lit up. He had an idea--at least for once, he can do something for him.

It has been a while since Junmyeon entered a supermarket---it's usually the call-in maid or Sehun with his two friends who shops for grocery. The air and atmosphere was different from his study at home---the chatter and sounds around was freeing him from the suffocating silence he has at home.

He's glad he gave himself an opportunity to get some fresh air at least once. After looking for some ingredients, he finally stopped at where fresh tofu is displayed. It was actually Sehun's favorite food to eat and...

Junmyeon bit his lip upon the face that immediately popped in his head. He shook--not today, he said to himself.

'Baekhyun, I don't know where fresh tofu is placed anymore.'

Speaking of the devil, Junmyeon's eyes widened upon hearing the familiar voice, making him turn. It was him, walking towards where he was along with a man whom he called "Baekhyun".

Panicked, he immediately ran and hid on the kimchi aisle. There was total shock in his face when he examined him from head to toe---he was classy and all with his suit. He was still famous as ever as he saw people staring at them--but he ignored them as if the fresh tofu was controlling his mind.

'Why are you hiding there?' Junmyeon flinched as he heard a familiar voice behind him. Slowly, he turned and saw a little figure behind him. 'M-minseok?'

'Oh, it's you, Junmyeon!' He replied after squinting his eyes. Minseok was a professor in the Social Sciences department in another university, but he would meet him on his favorite ttekbokki place since it was just a few blocks from where Minseok's teaching. He has a hard time recognising people due to his face agnosia and near sightedness, but he could only recognise Junmyeon in a few seconds because of his cheeks.

'Nothing, just hiding from---'

'Lay Zhang!' squealed a fangirl, making him sigh.

'Oh, isn't Lay Zhang that Chinese idol famous here?' The cat-eyed man asked as he helped him get up. Junmyeon brushed his pants and sighed while turning to the direction where he was. 'Yeah. That's why I'm avoiding it.'

'You're avoiding him? It's the first time I've witness that,' He carressed his chin in thought. 'Perhaps, you know him?'

'N-no.' He replied, trying to keep his composure. 'I just hate crowds. Y-you know I'm claustrophobic, right?'

Hoping it would be a sufficent answer to shut Minseok up, Junmyeon narrowed his eyes, trying to observe him. 'It feels weird... did he stop being an idol?'

'From what I heard on TV, he is starting an entertainment agency while being an idol. It sounds weird but he is an idol creating a company while still signed to SM.' He replied. 'If he continues, he'll end up buying the whole country.'

'Wow... he did achieve all of his dreams.'

'What are you saying?'

'Nothing.'

The two end up buying groceries together with Minseok fawning over the cashier despite having the difficulty to recognise faces. 'So you're lying about having face agnosia, huh?'

'No! It's just that his lips...'

'They're kissable?'

'No!' He replied like a child. 'They remind me of a cat.' Junmyeon moved his eyes from Minseok to the cashier then back to him.

Cat eyes + cat lips = cat.

For him it really does makes sense. Noticing that they are a few checks away, he handed him his card. 'You're paying. Use my card--you've only bought three things anyway.'

'W-what? No!' He replied, but he was too late, Junmyeon was already in front of the counter with a sly smile on his face. 'Good luck.'

Minseok's face was already flustered as he was the next.

'Good evening.'

'Good evening, J-jongdae.' The cashier's eyes widened. 'Huh? Do I know you, sir?'

'N-no.' He replied, pointing to his apron. 'It's in your name tag.'

'Oh!' He gave a soft smile on his face before continuing. 'Are you sick, sir? Your cheeks are red.'

'No... I...' He fidgeted while trying to find words. 'It's n-natural for me.'

'Oh... cute...' Minseok's eyes widened before pouting on what he added next. 'Like a cat.'

A huge smile was on Junmyeon's face that his fat cheeks reflected on the lights of the parking lot as he placed groceries on the backseat. Just for once, he wanted Sehun to remember he loves him very much.

'Sehun?'

'Yes, dad?' A sleepy voice was on the receiver, making him smile more. 'Oh, you're sleeping. Where are you? I want to make di...'

'I'm at Kyungsoo's place.' The huge smile immediately turned into a pout as he felt dejected. 'Oh... I see.'

'Why, dad?'

'Nothing.' He bit his lip before trying to make his voice cheerful. 'I'm just wondering where you are.'

'I see. Goodbye, dad. Don't worry, I'll be home.'

Only a sad face was on his face as he arrived at home. Kris was busy on whatever he was on as usual--making him think that Sehun was right that he should break up with him. A sigh came out as he entered the house with many plastic bags on his hands, only to be surprised at someone sitting on the table behavely.

His eyes widened at the sight. 'Seh...Sehun?'

Upon seeing him, he smiled. 'Good evening, dad. Oh, let me help you.'

'I-I... I thought you were at your friend's house.' He spoke while he placed the bags on the table. Sehun gave a small laugh. 'I lied. It sounded like you're excited about something--like you've decided to break up with Kris.'

'You little brat!' He spoke as pounced on him, fingers tickling Sehun's sides. The whole room was filled with their laughter and his child yelling 'stop'.

'I missed these kinds of things, dad.' He said as Junmyeon kissed the both of cheeks and his forhead. 'I'm sorry, Sehun. Dad has been busy with work. I wish I can spend time with you...'

'Don't worry, dad. You making mapo tofu tonight is enough for me.' His heart warmed up as soon as he saw his cute smile--It was enough for him. But the same smile reminded him of Yixing too, but Sehun was just enough for him. To his son's surprise, he hugged him. 'I love you, son. Very, very much. My little bunny...'

Sehun could not help but to smile widely as he hugged his dad back. 'I love you too, dad. I'm sorry for giving you headaches... but can we make mapo tofu now? I'm hungry already.'


It has been five years since Yixing arrived in Korea---the smell was still the same even if everything has changed. He laughed at himself--why is he talking about it like an old man? South Korea, for him, had changed for him except for one thing.

His love for him.

It has been 12 years ever since they've broke up. Now he's 30 and 12 years single. Yixing always wanted to have someone new, but on all of his dates, nothing can match on Junmyeon. The sweet, peach-cheeked Kim Junmyeon...

He sighed.

As soon he was free on his schedule, he immediately dragged his secretary to the supermarket where he'd buy with him ingredients for mapo tofu.

'Sir, what are we doing here? We don't have your personal body guar--'

'We're going to cook mapo tofu!' He replied excitedly. 'It's going to be a bit quick anyway.'

'Haven't you eaten mapo tofu at lunch, sir?' Baekhyun asked, concerned. 'I did... but it tastes different when I'm in Seoul.'

'Is it because of your ex?' His eyes widened after saying those words, making him embarrassed. He bowed immediately. 'I'm sorry, Mr. Zhang!'

'No, it's okay.' He scratched his head and gave a sheepish smile. 'You're not wrong... and I just feel like remembering him.'

'Do you miss him now?'

For a moment Yixing didn't answer, but then he gave him a sad smile. 'Yes... for twelve years, I missed him. Up until now--or maybe forever. Who knows? First love never dies, they say.'

Baekhyun thought the whole time would be an awkward shopping time, but it wasn't as Yixing was talking endlessly like a philospher, making him laugh.

'Baekhyun, I don't know where fresh tofu is anymore.' He said with his lips pouting and shoulders slouching. Baekhyun thought he was cute... like a little sheep trying to find grass. 'It was beside the carrots, but it wasn't there anymore.'

'Then let's look around.'

As soon as they were near the aisle, Yixing stopped walking and had his eyes widen, making Baekhyun wonder. As he turned his eyes, he saw a small man wearing glasses on the tofu aisle, whose eyes also widened, indicating that they knew each other. 'Mr. Zhang?'

'Jun...' He spoke as he wanted to reach him, but only trailed his words when he saw him run on another aisle. Hopeless, he continued going, giving secret glances on his back.

After 5 years, he still look angelic as always.

But why... does he always slip away from me?

He thought as he let himself be engulfed by the crowd, starting at the guy he will always love talking some other guy.

'Xingxing, what do you want after debuting?'

'Hmm... let me see... maybe making another entertainment agency...'

'You're really into that, huh?'

'Yeah.. and to marry you.'

'M.. marry?'

'Why, don't you like me marrying you?'

'No... I feel shy about mine. And it doesn't fit to your dream.'

'That is?'

'To be a professor.. and to be a parent.'

'A homemaker, aren't you? Very wife material.'

'S-shut up!'

Yixing smiled at the memory. 12 years ago, both of them were roomates on a dormitory. A Korean exchange student who had a difficult time on cultural differences was his roomates--Kim Junmyeon was kind, soft.. and smart.

He missed him so much. So much.

Only a tear and a broken heart can make him fall asleep in the lonely night.

---

"你好~ 我是金吳世勳, 你的小鸡鸡!" (Hello, I am Kim Sehun, your baby chick). Sehun confidently spoke as he entered Jongin's room, who later on gasped as he saw a peculiar event on the room: Kyungsoo at the top of Jongin, firmly grasping both of his wrists down on the bed with some serious look. "哦? 看, 我猜对了! 你们喜欢上对方!" (what the... see I am right, you like each other!)

Both of them turned to him with shocked faces before moving away from each other. Sehun raised his eyebrow and narrowed his eyes as he went nearer. 'Hmm... so?'

'So?' They asked in unison.

'Could you two explain what was that?' He asked, folding his arm like a mother. 'I know you're both gay for each other, but in front of my Mandarin, really?'

'Look, we don't li--'

'Stop lying, I can see it in your eyes.' He sat on Jongin's chair. 'I came here because I want to you all, I finally can speak Mandarin, but the around this room is high, so I gotta leave.'

'W-wait!' spoke Kyungsoo. 'What are you going to do next?'

'Find him.'

'But how are you going to find him if you don't know who he is?'

'Look,' He scooted closer to him. 'His name is Zhang Yixing, and I found out he's very rich!'

'Really?' spoke Jongin, whose eyes glittered. 'So is he famous?'

'Yes!' He spoke with a huge grin on his face. 'In fact, he's an idol--he's no other than Lay Zhang.'

The two look at him in disbelief. 'Really? You really thought your dad is Lay?'

'Here you go, you gays.' He slapped an old photo of his dad when he was still in college. 'My dad, according to all the letters I've read, studied in China, so that why he met him.'

'And?'

'My dad never knew me.' He gave a sad sigh. 'I think my dad debuted without knowing he had a son like me.'

'So?'

'I'll be meeting him in his office tomorrow.' He said as he stood up from the bed and gave a huge smile.

'Wish me luck! Don't yet, you two--we're still twelve!'

'Kim Sehun!'