Ch 1: A special visit

If Time Could Stop The Moment We Met

           Driving up the mountain on a motorbike, Nichkhun continues to ride up the hill counting quietly to himself. “101, 102, 103, 104, 105.” He stopped when a group of soldier guards the last entrance before he can reach the Hwang’s Camp territory. Nichkhun turns his bike to the left, drift to the side and stop twenty feet away from the lead soldier standing in front of other soldiers.

            “Lee Nichkhun, what are you doing here? This is the Hwang territory.” Said the soldier that’s in charge.

            A bright light shines brightly at Nichkhun from the campsite. Nichkhun blocks the light and looks at the tall man, who is the commander of the soldiers, Hwang Chansung, standing at the entrance of the campsite.

            Nichkhun smirk lightly and wave at Chansung, who returns with a slight nod. He turns his bike around and drove away. “Thank you for guarding the Mount Songni for me!” He shouted.  “I owe you a drink.”

            Chansung lightly chuckles. “He never changes.” Said Chansung.

 

At Kimch’on—The Lee Family’s Territory……   

            The wind blows mildly in the air, brushing the green grass lightly as a group of three men playing golf out in the wide plain grass field. Nichkhun takes the next wing and hit the golf ball as hard as he can. The ball flies in the air at a very fast speed, fighting against the wind. The other two men clap as they watch Nichkhun stand and watch the ball continues to fly in the air.

            “Fantastic hit.” Said one of the two men.

            “You possess great strength.” Said the second men.

            “It’s sad that it can’t fight against the wind and land in the hole.” Nichkhun sighed. “Just like how I lost Mount Songni to the Hwang’s family.”

            “We can always get it back.” Said the first men.

            Nichkhun chuckles lightly, “It’s easy to say, Major Yi. But when you do it then it’s different.” He said in a calm tone. He turns around and looks at the two men. He looks at the second man, “Major Chae, if I ask to give me an estimate of how many days and soldiers it takes to capture Mount Songni, would you be able to give me an answer now?”

            “General?” Major stumble, nervously. He couldn’t give him an answer and lower his head.

            Nichkhun grab another golf ball from the bag and place it on the golf tee. He faces the opposite direction and makes another aim. Lifting drivers up and give it a full swing. The golf ball flies high in the air at the direction he wanted to go. A soldier hurriedly runs up to Nichkhun and whispered to his right ear before he moves back away with his head down and hands on both sides waiting for the order.

            Nichkhun driver in the bag. “When will my teacher arrive?” He asked.

            “In less than an hour.” Said the soldier.

            “That fast? It must be urgent…” He whispered to himself. He looks at the soldier, “Get the vehicle ready, I will be out soon.”

            “Yes, sir.” The soldier salute before he hurries out of the golfing field.

            “General?” Major Yi called.

            “We will end here for today. I need you and Major Chae to go back to base and see if anything new has happened. Also, send Doojoon a message not to go out into the war. He needs to stand firm to surpass the first wave.” Nichkhun ordered.

            “Understood.” The two lieutenants salute him before they leave.  

            Nichkhun takes another looks at the plain open field one last time, letting the wind mildly brush against him as he looks at the blue skies. “It has finally begun.” He sighed then turn and walks toward the road where his vehicle waits for him.

            The drivers press on the gas and drives away from the field back to his mansion. The soldier opens the door. Nichkhun steps out of the vehicle. Five soldiers greeted him with a salute as he makes his way up the stair into the mansion. The maids greeted him with a bow as he walks into the grand room on the first floor. The door open and a man in his late forties standing in front of the giant map hanging on the left wall. The maid closes the two doors, he walks up to the center of the room and bow.

            “Teacher.” Nichkhun greeted him.

            Jaesuk turns and faces Nichkhun, who rises from his formal 90-degrees bow. “How was golfing?” He asked.

            “It didn’t go as I wanted to.” Nichkhun answered. “I’m sorry for making you wait, teacher.” He said.

            “It wasn’t long.” Said Jaesuk, calmly. “You must know the reason why I am here, right?”

            Nichkhun lightly nods, “Yes.”

            Jaesuk lightly smiles, “You are indeed one of my best students.” He praised Nichkhun wisdom. “Your father was not pleased to hear that you have lost Mountain Songni to the Hwang family. And your second brother is in the war with the Choi in the north. You, on the other hand, are calmly dealing with all the chaos in a peaceful way.

            “If I was a step late then god has let me know that it is not my time to capture Mount Songni. Why waste energy guarding the mountain when you enemy of yours is like a friend who is guarding it in my place. When the time comes, I will make the move and capture the mountain.” Said Nichkhun, calmly. “However, if father wishes to capture Mount Songni now then I will do as he please.”

            Jaesuk nods his head. He was very pleased with Nichkhun answer. He turns and looks at the map of Korea again. “You are never late. It’s just that you had the mountain but hand it to the enemy for a better good. You know very well of your enemy. You are just waiting for the next move and if they fall into your trap you will capture not only their mountain but also a land that belong to the Hwang.” He said. “Your father may not be please with the news, however, he is not in a rush.” Said Jaesuk with his hand resting on his back.

            “I have faith in Doojoon, He will do what it takes to defeat his enemy.” Said Nichkhun.

            “That’s what I worry.” Said Jaesuk as he looks at Nichkhun with concern. “That war has caused us a lot of soldiers’ lives.”

            “The Choi army is known for its’ heavy first wave and I believe they will use the same method in this war. If Doojoon can withhold that first wave, he will eventually break through the line, push his enemy back and capture the city.” Said Nichkhun as he looks at the map, “There’s must be another reason why you here beside the news that I have already received.”

            Jaesuk smiles, surrender by Nichkhun outstanding psychologist. He turns around again and faces him. “There’s nothing I can hide from you.”

            “Teacher, I’ve been your student for over twenty years. There’s nothing about you that I don’t know.” Said Nichkhun, confidently.

            Jaesuk lightly nods his head, “I came here for a purpose.” He said, calmly. “There’s no reason for you to stay here. I came to ask you to come back to Seoul with me. Mr. Lee’s was assassinated by the enemy. Luckily, he was not badly injured and is currently away from the eyes. It seems like we have a spy in from the enemies in the city.”

            Nichkhun froze for a moment upon hearing Mr. Lee’s injured. He worries about him, but at the same time, he does not want to go back to the painful and sorrow mansion that he once called home. All the painful memories slowly make its’ way back to him. His mother death. His unaffectionate attention he gets from the woman he loves dearly. All he feels is loneliest from the house. The feeling the he tries to bury it with alcohol.

            “Nichkhun, hiding out here is not a way. I know you’re avoid your father and your wife, but this is not the way. You need to show your father what you’re capable off. You need to prove to him that all the rumors in the past were full of false with no evidences.”

            Nichkhun hissed lightly, “None of that matters now. My mother is gone. The pain I’ve endure staying in that house. The past can’t be change.” He said in a sad tone.

            “Then begin changing your wife’s view of you.”

            “I’ve tried, but all I get is the cold shoulders from her.”

            “You tried in a wrong way. Just because you are known as a playful young master of the Lee’s family doesn’t mean you are one. You show her the cold and arrogant side of you. That’s not how love is supposes to be.”

            “Here is a lot better. I’m free from those thoughts. I can do whatever I want here. I can enjoy life here.”

            “Can you watch your father die? Can you watch the lands he builds for you and your brother slowly taken away from the family?” Said Jaesuk in a serious tone. “If so, then I rest my case and will go back alone. I am not the only one that is disappointed, but someone else here is also disappointed as well.”

            Nichkhun confusedly looks at him, “Someone else is here as well?”

            “I will not tell you, but that ‘someone else’ is waiting for you in your room.” Said Jaesuk with a victorious smile.

            Like a lightning bulb, Nichkhun run out of the room to the stair. He continues to run as fast as he can up the stair to his room, open the door and sees a familiar figure standing by the bookshelves at the opposite side of the room. He slowly walks up to her but stops in the center of the room when she turns around and looks at him with calm facial expression. He couldn’t believe his eyes. He couldn’t believe what he sees, misses, and desires to see every night before he goes to sleep is here in front of him.

            “Taeyeon…” He whispered, half in shock and half in happiness.

            Taeyeon looks at him a moment. The man that she married agrees to marry a year ago to save her father. The man that she has not seen for more than six months is now in front of him. Though she has no to very little feeling for him, but he is still her husband.

            “What are you doing here?” Nichkhun asked.

            Taeyeon walks up to him and stops 5 feet away from him. “Teacher Yoo asked me to come with him to convince you to come back to Seoul with us.” She said.

            Her honest answer saddens him. He tries to control his hurt facial expression and face her calmly. He knew she wouldn’t come here for him.

            “Of course, teacher ask you to come with him. He knows very well.” Nichkhun said with a hopeless chuckle as he looks at the floor. “You win this round teacher.”

            Looking at him, she sees a soft side of him. Honestly, a part of her wants to come here herself and ask him to go back to Seoul with her, but she can’t pull herself together to tell him the truth.

            Nichkhun sighed and looks up at her. “It must have been hard for you to come all the way here. Why don’t you rest?” He said before he turns around and heads towards the door.

            The anxious Taeyeon takes a step, “Will you come back home with me?” She said.

            Nichkhun stopped at the door without turning around. He stares at the open space, hesitating to give her an answered. “Home?” He whispered inside in his head.

            “Father is injured.” Taeyeon continued.

            Nichkhun chuckles lightly. “Even so, I’m the last one he ever think off or want to see.” He said in a tone of despair.

            Nichkhun leaves the room to the stairs and down to the first floor. Taeyeon hurriedly walks to the stairs and watches him leave the mansion with a second to stop and turn around to looks at her. Nichkhun was out of the mansion and takes a walk around the garden in the back. Taeyeon looks down and sees Jaesuk standing in front of the grand room where Nichkhun usually takes his work too and plan for the next mission. As the Jaesuk walks to the stairs. Taeyeon takes the stair down to the first floor. The two stops just two feet away from each other by the stairway.

            “Teacher Yoo, he…”

            “Just need a little time to himself.” Said Jaesuk. “Did you tell him you were willing to come here with me and not me asking you?” He asked.

            Taeyeon shook her head.

            “No wonder he’s gloomy.” Said Jaesuk.

            “Teacher, will he come back with us?” Taeyeon asked, worriedly.

            “I know him very well. With you here, he will definitely come back.”

            “But early, he seems like he does not care about father’s health.” Said Taeyeon, “Even if I asked him to come back with me.”

            “Nichkhun is a stubborn kid, but there’s away a soft and weak spot in him. You just got to find a way to approach him. He says one thing and does the opposite.” Said Jaesuk. “Don’t worry, just let him be for now.” Said Jaesuk before he walks away calmly.

            Taeyeon helplessly watches Jaesuk walks away for a moment before she walks up to the wide full-length window and sees him staring at the field filled with bright yellowseed flowers. 

            Nichkhun sadly looks at the field as he thinks about his deceased mother that loves the field ofseed flower. It is the place where he sees her smiling and happiest since the rumored. He recalled the memories of him embracing in the fields as she sews a shirt for him.

Flashback……

            “Mom. Mom.” The eight-year-old Nichkhun shout happily as he runs to his mom.

            Nichkhun’s mom stops and put the stuff down on the table. She embraces the little Nichkhun and gently wipe the sweat off his forehead with her handkerchief.

            “Look at you, sweating already.” Said Nichkhun’s mom in a gentle tone. “Don’t run too much. You will get sick.”

            The little Nichkhun smiles brightly, “I won’t get sick, mom. I’m a strong man. I have to stay strong to protect you.” He said.

            Nichkhun’s mom smiles as she looks at her son. “I love you my little Nichkhun.” She embraces him, “There’s nothing more I can ask for. You’re all I need.”

            “Mom, I will take care of you when I get older. I’ll be a great general like dad and protect you from bad people.” Said the little Nichkhun, confidently.

            The smiles disappear when Mr. Lee was mentioned, but the bright smiles on her son's face keep a light and soft smile on her face as she gently the back of his head.

            End of flashback….

            “Mom, I’m sorry I couldn’t keep my promise.” He whispered inside in head. “I’m such an unfilial son. I don’t deserve to be your son. If only in the next life, I wish to be your son again and complete my promise” Nichkhun looks up at the skies.

            In the illusion, he sees his mom face again in the skies. The smiles he misses and the eyes that are tattoo inside memories.

           

To be continued……....