Chapter 11: Heart open slowly

If Time Could Stop The Moment We Met

            “Doctor, how is he?” Taeyeon asked, worriedly.

            The doctor put his equipment back into his suitcase then face Taeyeon. “He lacks rest and caught a cold. All he needs is rest. I will tell my assistant to bring the medicine over later.” He said.

            “Thank you.” Said Taeyeon in relief.

            “However, the bruises on his body is severe. If not treated properly, it can cause him harm and possibly a blood clot.” Said the doctor.

            “Doctor, what can I do to help him?”

            “It’s best he does not any heavy lifting or physical interaction such as training or fist fight for the next few weeks. I will also include the medicine with his cold medicines as well. Feed him three times a day for the next two weeks. I believe, he should be better by then.”

            “Doctor, he does not like bitter.”

            “You can add honey or dry apricot into the medicine to make it sweet a little.”

            “Thank you, doctor.”

            “You’re welcome.” Said the doctor. He reaches into his suitcase and grabs a wrapped bag out. He hands it to Taeyeon. “I have one bag with me right now. Feed him this first so the cold does not become severe.”

            Taeyeon smiles lightly. “Thank you for coming this late. Sunny, please the doctor out for me and brew the bag of medicine.”

            Sunny walks up to her and grab the bag from her, “Yes mam’.”

            The doctor follows Sunny out of the room. Taeyeon walks up to the edge of the bed—she sits beside him. She looks at the bruises on his body. “How much longer can you hold it all in?” She whispered inside her head as she traces her hand over the bruises lightly like an airbrush. Her two fingers slowly airbrushed another bruise on his body—a bruise five inches below his shoulder and near the center. Unknowingly, her fingers trail across his forehead down his nose. A soft smile flashes across her face as she watches him sleep peacefully on the bed.

            “Mom…mom” Nichkhun murmured in his sleep. “Don’t leave me.”

            Taeyeon grabs his right hand and holds it tightly, “I won’t leave you.” She whispered.

            Sunny walks into the room with a tray. Taeyeon turns and sees a bowl of medicine on the tray. Sunny leaves it on the nightstand before she leaves the room again. Taeyeon holds the bowl close to Nichkhun. She blows a couple times on to the spoon of tradition medicine before she feeds him.  

            “Second lady, please stop. You can’t enter the room.” Said Sunny loudly as she tries to stop.

            Taeyeon heard a loud noise from the living room of her and Nichkhun master bedroom. She places the bowl down on the nightstand before she walks to the living room and sees Sunny trying to stop So-hee from entering further.

            “Second sister.” Taeyeon greeted her.

            So-hee tries to have a glance inside the bedroom “I heard Nichkhun got sick, so I came to see if he’s okay?”

            “He’s asleep now.” Said Taeyeon with smiles. “You don’t have to worry. He has me beside him. I’ll take good care of him. You can go back and rest.”

            So-hee was irritated by her words. “That’s good then.”

            “I heard you will be going to the temple tomorrow with the second brother. It seems like the weather is turning cold. You should bring a jacket with you.” She said. So-hee gives an uncomfortable smile. “I’m sorry I can’t you out. I must go take care of my husband. Sunny will walk you out.” Said Taeyeon before she walks back to the bed.

            So-hee holds her hand together tightly as she jealously watches Taeyeon walks back into the bedroom.

            “Second lady?” Sunny called.

            So-hee walks out of the room jealously.

            The long night continues as Taeyeon rest beside Nichkhun, holding onto his hands. She rests her head on his right shoulder. She has fallen deep asleep. Four hours before the sunrise, Nichkhun awake from his sleep. Stiffen by a present of a body next to him, he carefully and slowly turns his head to the right and sees Taeyeon sleeping peacefully beside him. He lifts his left hand up and slowly run her soft white cheek before he places his hand over hers and smiles. “I love you, Taeyeon… if only you know how much you mean to me.” He whispered inside his head as he leans his head on hers and falls back asleep.

* * * * *

[The next morning]

            Taeyeon awake from her sleep, she looks to her left and did not see Nichkhun beside her. She immediately gets out of bed and hurriedly looks around the room. She could not find him anywhere in the room.

            “Sunny.” Taeyeon called her loudly.

            Sunny comes running into the room, “Yes, third lady?”

            “Have you seen Nichkhun?” Taeyeon asked.

            “He woke up early this morning.”

            “Did you give him his medicine?”

            “I did, but third master refuses to take it.”

            “Where is he now?”

            “He’s in a meeting with Mr. Lee, first and second master.” Said Sunny.

            “Okay.” Said Taeyeon before she walks into the bathroom.

 

[In the meeting room]

            Marshal Lee put the newspaper down on to the table and looks at his three sons seating opposite of each other.

            “How did Teacher Yoo’s burial become a blood bath?” Said Marshal Lee.

            “I’m sorry, father. The rebellion refuses to respect father-in-law and make ways. It was the only way to clear the path. I had no other choice.” Doojoon explained.

            General sighed before he continues. “It seems like our family won’t be living in peace from now on. One new after another, it keeps piling up.” He said as he picks up his cup of tea.

            “Father, it’s rare that the burial date was leak out. There must be someone behind all of this. They want to make the Lee’s family look bad.” Said Seung-gi.

            “The Legion Alliance want our family to look bad. If we look bad in front of the citizen, wouldn’t it be easier for them to rebel and attack if they have the citizen heart and trust?” Said Nichkhun as he holds the teacup to his lip. “They want to find every opportunity to attack us. The only way they can succeed means we have a spy in the military. This person is not an ordinary man.”

            “If so, we must find the spy before it corrupts the military.” Said Doojoon.

            “If it was easy as you say that none of this would happen, right?”  Said Marshal Lee. Doojoon lowers his head. Marshal Lee look at Nichkhun, “I heard you caught a cold yesterday. How are you feeling today?” He asked with concern.

            Nichkhun was a little shock by Marshal Lee concerned. He takes another drink from his cup. “It’s just a small cold.”

            “Good. Take care of yourself more.” Said Marshal Lee. Nichkhun acknowledges with a nod.

            “Father, I will handle the news.” Said Seung-gi “However, it will be hard to convince the people. The world is chaotic right now.”

            Marshal Lee lightly nod. “That’s not my priority. I’ve received a message from the messenger. The Choi is on the move again.” He said as he put the cup of tea down. “I plan to form an alliance with the Hwang and fight against the Choi. Once the Choi is eliminated, there will only be the Hwang and the Lee fighting for the country.”

            Nichkhun silent smiles as he listens and watches they continue planning.

            “Father, I plan to gather all the soldier at Ch’uncho’on and retrain the soldiers.” Said Doojoon.

            “You can’t. The people there are under Teacher Yoo and all are specialized in its’ own talented. They don’t interfere with military stuff.” Said Seung-gi. “If we gather our soldiers, it will only cause more problem. It’s best that we lay low for now.”

            “Big brother, Teacher Yoo is my father-in-law. I believe he would agree with me if I gather the soldiers there for training. Our purpose is to unite the land. Ch’unch’on is perfect to train and plan for the next battle. Wouldn’t you agree?” Said Doojoon as he looks at Seung-gi. “Father wants to unite the land. I want to train to soldiers to be better.” His tone change, becoming more fierce and scary. “Big brother, if you continue to disagree I want like to see what power you have to defy father’s plan.”

            Seung-gi lightly smiles. “Based on the soldiers and military powers, we are greater than the Hwang by an edge.” He said, calmly.

            Nichkhun with his eyebrows narrows together as he disturbingly looks at Doojoon. Marshal Lee quietly glances at Doojoon and Seung-gi. He can see the rift between the two of them want to earn his trust and favor.

            Marshal Lee sighed softly, “It’s better to carefully strategize our plan. Let’s stop here for today.”

            The three of them bow to Marshal Lee before they leave the room.

            “Doojoon, I would like to talk to you for a moment.” Said Marshal Lee with the cup of tea at his lips.

            Nichkhun watches Seung-gi walks to the back of the house, he follows him out to the garden. The door to the room closed.

            “Father?”

            “What you said to your brother earlier was unnecessary. I agree with training the soldiers more, but Ch’unch’on has been a quiet and peaceful place. We cannot mobilize all the soldier there.” Said Marshal Lee.

            “Father, I understand.” Said Doojoon with his head facing down.

            “I know you’re still angry and upset with the lost of Teacher Yoo. Why don’t you take a couple days off and spent it with So-hee? It has been hard for her these past days. She would want you beside her. He needs your comfort.”

            “Yes, father.” Doojoon nod.                   

[In the backyard- the garden]                                                                                                                     

            Standing in the patio, under the roof, Seung-gi looks at the field of colorful flowers. Nichkhun walks up to him and stands beside him.

            “Big brother, you don’t have to put all the words that second brother words to heart. I believe he didn’t mean what he says in the room.” Said Nichkhun.

            Seung-gi smiles calmly. “I know. He’s going through a lot of things right now.”

            “It’s good that you didn’t take his words seriously.” Nichkhun said with a soft smile.

            “However, Doojoon have been hotheaded. He takes things very seriously. Everything he does was to please father.”  Said Seung-gi. “He does think rationally. I worry that he will take the wrong path under someone else control.”

            “I understand what you mean. I have the lease military power in the family. Compare to big brother and second brother, I don’t match either of you. For years, I don’t want to a part of family power. I'm not interested in the family heirloom. I just want our family to live in peace.”         “I know. You always make ways for the second brother. You always make way for both me and second brother, however, as a man of the Lee family, we carry the burden of the world on our shoulders. We have to protect our family.”

            “Big brother, if we must go this way. I have a favor to ask.”

            Seung-gi turns his head and looks at him.

            “The only reason why I accept the military position was to protect Taeyeon. If one day we face each other, I don’t want us to go against each other to the point where one life and one die. If we were to fight for the family heirloom, I ask that you verbally fight for it, no harm to each other.” Said Nichkhun.

            “I promise.” Said Seung-gi with a light smile.  

* * * * *

            Walking into the master bedroom in the west hallway of the mansion, Doojoon sees So-hee sitting on the couch by the bed with Teacher Yoo picture in her hands.

            “So-hee.” He called her as he walks up to her.

            So-hee looks up and sees him. She places the frame down on the couch before she stands. “You’re done talking to father and your brothers?” She asked.

            Doojoon nod. “Yes” He walks over to the eagle statue that’s about 2 feet tall.

            “How did it go?” She asked.

            Doojoon sighed. “I had said some words that might upset big brother. But seeing them out in the garden, I feel a little insecure.”

            “Maybe, Nichkhun just want to comfort big brother.” Said So-hee. “What did you say to big brother?”

            “I suggested to train all the soldiers in Ch’unch’on, but he disagrees. I got a little hotheaded and threatened him. Now, the two of them are quiet and secretively talking to each other in the garden. Are they planning to go against me?”

            “Doojoon, you’re thinking too much. Nichkhun would never say or do such things to you. It’s normal for brothers to argue. Once you spoke, it’s hard to take it back. It could be that big brother feels uncomfortable and wanted someone to talk too.”

            Doojoon shook his head. “Big brother is very calm. If Nichkhun went to look for him, they might be planning something.” He said.

            “Stop overthinking. Why don’t you go talk to Nichkhun first and clear things out with him and big brother?”

            Doojoon turns and looks at So-hee.

            “What is it?” She asked.

            “So-hee, every time Nichkhun and I are in an argument you seem to always be on his side, defending him. You care for Nichkhun a lot.”

            So-hee shock by his words. She walks up to him and grabs his arm. “Tomorrow, I will go find Nichkhun and ask him to have a word with you so that you and he are resolved any thorn in you.” Said So-hee, changing the topic. “We’re a family. There shouldn’t be a rift between family.”

            Doojoon lightly nod, “Okay.”

* * * * *

        Nichkhun entered his and Taeyeon master bedroom and sees Taeyeon seating on the couch, reading a book. He walks to the bar and reaches for a bottle of whiskey that’s almost gone. He tries to hold his coughs in but unsuccessfully coughs a couple time. Taeyeon looks up and sees him putting down the bottle. She put the book done and walks up to him. He watches her reach for a glass pitcher of water and pour water into the glass cup. She replaces his glass of whiskey with water instead.

            “You’re not feeling well. You shouldn’t be drinking.” She said, trying not to look into his eyes. Nichkhun let out of soft smirk and take a sip of water. “Why did you take your medicine this morning?” She asked.

            “I was in a hurriedly. It’s just a small cold. Nothing to worry.” Said Nichkhun, putting the glass of water on the table. He looks past the bottle of water and sees a plate of pastry and a small of bowl brownish medicine. “Are you craving for pastry?” He asked.

            “No, I made it for you.” Said Taeyeon, looking into his eyes. “I know you don’t like bitter medicine, so I made it takes away the bitter taste away once you finish taking your medicine.”

            Nichkhun walks to her, standing in front of her with bowl his hand resting on the counter, trapping her between him and the counter. “When did you become so worried about me? How did you know I don’t like bitter medicine?”

            “It’s not that hard to figure it out. I asked the nanny what you like and what you dislike.” She lied.

            Nichkhun did not take his eyes off her. “I knew it. There’s no way you would pay attention to such useless things.” He said. His words were slightly hurt and harsh.

            “You should take care of yourself if you still want to impress father.” Said Taeyeon. She did not hold back either.

            “Why care about it? Worry that your husband won’t survive to keep you and father-in-law safe? Worry that you won’t be able to use me once I die?” He lightly smirks.

            Taeyeon pout, slightly mad by his words. “If that’s what you think. We both know what role we play in this marriage. You care and want the family heirloom. I want my father to save and remain as an advisor of the Imperial Government. Aren’t we use to each other?”

            Nichkhun tightens his grip as he looks into her emotionless coldhearted eyes. He takes a step closer to her. She can feel his hot breath brushing against her cheek. “Have you ever have me in your heart?”

            Taeyeon was taken back by his words.

            “Have you? Or was everything I see and hear are lies?” Said Nichkhun. “What is true? What is lie?”

            “If you know the answered, why bother asking me that question?” Said Taeyeon. She glances at the pastry she made for him since morning than back at him, “If you don’t want to eat it or take your medicine then don’t.” In a mad tone, she tries to push him away, but he refuses to budge.

            Nichkhun wraps his arms around her, pulls her to his embrace. He holds her tightly. Taeyeon feels her heart shaking and beating very fast as she stays still like a statue in his arm. He leans his head closer to her, leaving only an inch between them. “Can you open your heart for me…even just a little?” He whispered.

“Tell me… is our marriage just to cover your relationship with So-hee? You married me was not because of So-hee?”

            “There’s nothing between me and So-hee.” Nichkhun answered. “Why did you think I married you because of her?”

            “Forget what I just say.” Said Taeyeon. She pushed him away. Hiding her shy and blushing face, she walks toward the door but stops. “If you don’t want to take your medicine, you can tell Sunny to take everything away.” She leaves the room. Nichkhun watches her leaves the room then looks at the plate of pastry and the smell of medicine.

            Nichkhun walks over to it and looks at it for a short moment before he picks up the small bowl of medicine and chugs it down his throat. “This is so bitter. How can such taste exist in this world? I’ll kill that doctor if he gives me this bitter medicine again.” He whined. With disgusting face, he couldn’t handle the bitter taste of the traditional medicine and immediately take a bite of the pastry.

            Standing behind the door, Taeyeon watches Nichkhun eat her pastries with smiles. “Still act like a kid…but cute.” Taeyeon continues to watch Nichkhun finish one pastry after another, couldn’t help but keep smiling at his cuteness.

 

To be continued………………………………………………….