Chapter 17: Can you tell?

If Time Could Stop The Moment We Met

          Nichkhun and Taeyeon wait for the train at the train station. Nichkhun’s soldiers surround the place, heavily guarding him and Taeyeon from the enemy.

            A soldier walks up to Nichkhun. He salutes before he begins to talk. “Lieutenant general.”

            “Speak.” Said Nichkhun without letting go of Taeyeon's hand.

            “The Kang Army has been heading South for the past three days. However…..”

            Nichkhun slightly turns his head and looks at the soldiers. “But General Kang is nowhere spotted with the armies heading South. The Kang armies are led by the major and lieutenant.”

            Nichkhun gone silent as he stares at the open space. “What is he up to? Not heading South with the armies? Could it be?”

            Taeyeon looks at Nichkhun’s serious face. He is deep thought as he stares at the blank space.

            “Lieutenant General?”

            “Keep an eye on them. Let me know immediately if they plan something.” Nichkhun ordered.

            The soldier salute with a bow before he leaves the train station. The train arrived. Nichkhun grabs and holds Taeyeon’s free hand.

            “Let’s go.” Nichkhun said in a half-worried, half-calm tone.

            They enter the train and is escorts to their VIP component room. The attendant bows and leave them alone. Nichkhun closes the door. He turns around and takes a seat next to Taeyeon, He reaches for one of her free hand and holds its tightly.

Taeyeon looks at him. “Is there something wrong? Something bothering you?”

            Nichkhun takes a deep breath. He shook his head lightly, ‘no’. He looks out the small 15 by 15 windows as the train moves. He sees a man dress in suit looking at his direction. The man pulls the hat down and covers half of his face. The man looks down, avoiding eye contact with Nichkhun.

            “Stay close to me no matter what.” Said Nichkhun as he looks at Taeyeon.

            Taeyeon nods her head lightly.

            Nichkhun let out a soft yet worries smile without letting go of her hand. “Maybe I should have let her stay behind. She will be a lot safer in the manor than with me.” Nichkhun whispered inside his head.

            He looks at Taeyeon again. “Rest. It’s going to be a long ride. I’ll wake you up when we arrive.” He said in a soft and calm voice.

            Taeyeon nods lightly. Nichkhun gently places his hand on the side of her head and guide it to his shoulder. She closed her eyes and rest her head on his right shoulder. Unknowingly, she feels at peace and safe beside him. Unknowingly, she has fallen deep asleep beside aside him.

            Nichkhun gently glides one arm around her shoulder and the other free hand place at her head. He gently repositions her body—with her head resting on his laps. He softly glides strings of hair aside Nichkhun inhales and exhales softly as he watches her sleep peacefully on his laps.

            “Taeyeon…. Tell me, what do I need to do to keep you safe…?”

            Nichkhun continues to watch her sleep, but then he recalls the face hidden under the shadow of the hat. The pair of eyes were still on him, watching him closely. He knew it was not someone he knows. Nichkhun’s calm face now turn into a serious and fierce as he grinds his teeth together.

            “I will not let anyone harm you, Taeyeon.” Nichkhun whispered inside his head.

            The door opens. Nichkhun looks up and sees the attendant bowing his head. Nichkhun places his index finger at his lips and signal him to remain quiet. He signals him to leave. The attendant lightly bows his head once and close the door.

 

[4 hours later… Kim’chon province]

 

            Nichkhun and Taeyeon walking through the crowded train station in Kim’chon. Four guards follow them closely behind. They look around the place, making sure no threat signs close by.

            Nichkhun came to a stop in front of the long bench and let go of Taeyeon's hand. “Sit here. I’ll be back.” He said before he turns around and walks away.

            Taeyeon watches him walks up to the register. Nichkhun exchange a few words with the man sitting behind the counter. A tall familiar with a hat covering half of his face walks through the crowded to the exit of the train station. Taeyeon’s eyes jolt wide as it follows the figure. Nichkhun approaches her. He looks where she was looking at but there were too many people. However, he did see a familiar figure hiding beneath the hat as it makes a right turn. Nichkhun grips his fist tightly as he looks away from the exit.

            With his presence, she looks away and back at him. “What were you doing up there?” Taeyeon curiously asks.

            Nichkhun holds two tickets in front of her. “For you.” He said.

            Taeyeon looks at the ticket but did not take it. “What is this?” She asked as she looks at the tickets’ details.

            “Two tickets to leave this place.” He said, avoiding her eyes.

            “We just got here. I thought this is the destination you want to…..”

            “Only you are leaving.” He interrupts her. Taeyeon took back by his word. “You were looking for him earlier weren’t you….” He continues. She did not speak nor give him and explanation. The whole journey is either with her eyes closed or looking at the sky thinking... “You both plan to leave together didn’t you?” He asked without looking at her again.

            Taeyeon speechless looks at him. Nichkhun chuckles lightly with slight hurtfulness in the chuckles. An announcement went live, announcing the next train soon-to-be arriving… the train that will be taking her away.

            “Perfect timing.” Said Nichkhun. He grabs her right hand and places the two tickets on her palm. “You two can leave together.”

Taeyeon stops and looks into his eyes that’s full of mix feelings. She can’t tell whether he’s happy or sad.

Nichkhun does his best to hide his true feeling from her…. The pain inside of him as he pushes her away from him for her safety.

“Isn’t this what you were waiting for? To be free? To be with someone you have been waiting for?” He said., hiding the sadness from her.

            “You—…” Taeyeon did not know how to react or what to say to him. Only a part of her happy while the other half of her is sad and hurt. She has always wanted to be free from him, but not so much after all the trouble she caused him. All the trouble that put him in a difficult and dangerous position not only in front of his father but also the in-laws. Nichkhun to near the entrance of the train and let go of her hand. He looks at her one last time with a calm facial expression.

            Taeyeon was lost at words. She does not know what to say to him or how to express her decrier not wanting to leave hi at this moment. However, she has always wanted to be free from him. From all this war and drama. The day has finally come, but she could not hold herself together in front of him.

            Nichkhun turns around with his back facing her. “Live free and happy... Taeyeon…” He said softly one last time before he walks away from her.

            She watches him leave... Leaving her alone. A sudden pain strikes her. A confusion strikes her. He has been so nice to her these past few days, but only to leave her behind today and give her the freedom that she seeks since entering the Lee family house. But why could she move her feet and enter the train? But only to watch him walk farther and farther away from him.

            His shadow was gone. He’s no longer in her sight, but still…she could not pull herself together and leave what she has believed a miserable place that suffocates her.

            “Taeyeon.” A man called her name from the right side.

            Taeyeon recognizes the tone and looks to her right. A tall man, just a little it shorter than Nichkhun, stands and smiles as he looks at her. He proceeds towards her. The man stops and bows his head lightly as he greets her. “What are you doing in Kim’chon?” He asked.

            “I—….” She pauses as Nichkhun crosses her mind. “He left me….” She whispered inside her head.

            “Taeyeon?” “The man called her again.

            Taeyeon looks at him. “I just happen to pass by this town. I was heading south.” She lied.

            “When is your next train? If you still have time, do you want to stop by my place? Aunty would be happy to see you. She’s also in town too.” Said The man.

            Taeyeon nods lightly before she follows him. As they walk through the lobby, Taeyeon sneakily and quickly throw the tickets that Nichkhun got for her in the trash can. She enters the car and sat in the back with the man. Nichkhun was still at the train station but seated in the car. He waited to make sure Taeyeon have safely left the town unharmed before leaving the station. The sound of the train honks loudly as it gets ready to depart. Nichkhun sign as he looks up and sees Taeyeon entering a car with a mysterious man. He’s eyes shock wide and curious. The man car begins driving away from the train station.

            “Follow them.” Said Nichkhun in a furious tone. “That man…it’s not him.” He whispered inside his head.           

            The driver presses on the gas pedal and follows the other car. He finds a short cut, driving through another alley. For about 50 kilometers, Nichkhun’s driver was able to cut the other man's car off the road. Both stomp onto the break. Nichkhun leaves the car furiously. The man and Taeyeon jolt forward and stop themselves from hitting the chair in front. Taeyeon sees Nichkhun proceeding toward them angrily. The man exits the car first to see what was going on, but only to receive a punch across the face from Nichkhun. Taeyeon hurriedly exits the car and step in between them. She grabs onto Nichkhun and pushes him back away from the man.

            “What’s wrong with you? How can you punch him?” Taeyeon said loudly.

            “I have every right to punch him in the face.” Said Nichkhun.

            “What right do you have?”

            “As your husband!” Said Nichkhun jealously.

            A short paused between them before the man walks up to Taeyeon.

            “Stop.” Said Nichkhun, glaring at the man.

            “He’s a relative. He’s my long distant cousin from my mother's side.” Said Taeyeon.

            Nichkhun was slightly taken back from her word.

            “You’re Lee Nichkhun, the third son of the Lee family?” The man asked.

            Nichkhun did not bother to answer him. His eyes and attention was focus on Taeyeon.

            “You said you give me freedom. Why are you here in front of me?” Said Taeyeon in an unknowingly upset tone.

            “I thought….. I”

            “I’m not a bad guy. My name is Kim Jonghyun. I was just in town with my mother and happen to bump into Taeyeon at the train station. I thought she was alone. I didn’t know you were here with here.” Said Jonghyun.

            “We were.” Said Taeyeon with an angry yet calm face.

            “I would like to invite you and Taeyeon back to the Inn where my mother is staying. She will be happy to see bot you and Taeyeon in town before leaving.”

            “I’m sorry, maybe next time. We are quite busy.” Said Nichkhun. He reaches for her hand and drags her away from Jonghyun to his car. He pulls her into the car and closes the door.

            “Drive.” Said Nichkhun.

            The driver steps on the gas, the cars move again leaving Jonghyun confusingly standing left behind.

            “Stop the car.” Said Taeyeon.

            Nichkhun ignores her.

            “I said stop the car.” She asked again but Nichkhun ignores her again. Taeyeon turns and grab onto the doorknob. She was about to open the door while the car is still moving, but Nichkhun stops her and pull her back. He wraps his arms securely around her, holding her tightly in his arms.

            “I take back my words. I’m not letting you go anymore.” Said Nichkhun.

            “You can’t do that.” Said Taeyeon, fighting to break away from his embrace back he was too strong for her.

            “I can. As your husband, I have the right to claim you as mine and hold you forever.” He said with his sharp yet charming eyes looking at hers.

            Unknowingly, her body becomes paralyze and speechless. She stays still in his arms.

            “Mianhe….” He whispered softly. He rests his head on her shoulder as he holds her tightly in his embrace.

            Taeyeon felt calm in his arms, but the sudden loud train sound wakes her up. She remembers him giving her the ticket to leave after they just arrive anger her. She pushes him away. begin walking out of the valley into the main road. Nichkhun quickly follows her. She ignores him and continues walking to the Exit-Entrance gate of the city.

            “Where are you going?” Nichkhun asked.

            “Anywhere away from you.” Said Taeyeon in anger.

            Nichkhun let out a soft smile after he caught her cute mad face.

            “Do you know this city well?” Nichkhun asked again.

            Taeyeon ignores him and continues to walk out of the city.

            About half an hour later, she stops beneath the big tree with beautiful yellow flowers field in front and behind her. She closes her eyes and inhales the sense that surrounds her from the beautiful flower. Nichkhun slowly walks up to her as he observes her beauty from the side. Taeyeon opens her eyes and looks up the blue sky. A kite stuck on the top of the tree caught her attention. It reminds her of what Kangin says to her the day before leaving the city. She remembers him saying that he would use a kite to symbolize him, a sign that he has arrived at Kim’chon.

            “He can’t possibly be here already.” Taeyeon whispered inside her head.

            Nichkhun looks at where she looks and sees a kite stuck in the tree. He walks up to the tree and begins climbing up the tree.

            “What are you doing?” Taeyeon asked as she watches him climbing on the tree.

            “Getting the kite.” Said Nichkhun as he continues to climb.

            “Get down.” Said Taeyeon worriedly.

            Nichkhun was already at the top of the tree. He reaches for the kite and successfully grabs the kite. He looks down at Taeyeon with a smile and a kite in the other hand.

            “Now carefully get down.” Said Taeyeon with her eyes on him, watching him getting down.

            Nichkhun steps on a branch but slip.

            “Nichkhun!” Taeyeon shout.

            In fear, Taeyeon covers her eyes.

            “ahh….” A soft cried in pain from Nichkhun who landed on his back.

            Taeyeon immediately rushes to him. She gets on her knees and helps him sit up. “Are you okay? You need to go to the hospital.” She said worriedly as her eyes scan for any blood.

            Nichkhun let out a soft and painful smile. “It hurt, but I don’t need to go to the hospital.” He said.

            “Yes, you do. We need to go to the hospital to see if any bone is broken or fracture.” Said Taeyeon.

            Nichkhun stands up on his feet. “See? I’m fine.” He said.

            Taeyeon stands up as well. Nichkhun hand her the kite. “You were looking at the kite, so I thought you wanted it.”

            “Why don’t you ever ask me if I ever want it or not? Why do you assume that I want the kite?” Said Taeyeon in a semi-upset yet sad tone.

            Nichkhun looks into her serious yet worries eyes. “I don’t know. The kite seems to remind you of something and it made you sad, so I thought getting the kite will cheer you up. But if you don’t want it, then you can just throw it away.” Nichkhun looks away. He begins walking back to the city with his right-hand place at his back.

Taeyeon turns and looking at his back. “It does remind me of something….of someone. Don’t you want to know who that is?”

            Nichkhun stop. His facial expression was filled with jealousy and mad.

            “Why don’t you just ask me who that person is? Why don’t you just ask me the name of that per….”

            Nichkhun turns around with a sharp and mad face as he looks at her. “I don’t want to know who he is or what his name is.” Nichkhun cut her off with a loud jealousy tone. “I don’t care about him. I only care about you.”

            Taeyeon stands speechless as she faces him.

            “Honestly, I hate him. I hate him for hurting you. I hate him for always being in your memory. I hate him and I’m jealous of him for having your heart.”

            Taeyeon looks into his fiery eyes that are filled with jealousy. Still, she couldn’t pull herself together and believe what she just heard.

            “What I desire the most….What I want the most…. You should know by now….” Said Nichkhun in a much calmer and soft tone.

            “You know from the start that our marriage what just a stage for the outsider to see and believe. You knew I married you to save my father.”

            Nichkhun hissed in a hurtful sound. He was disappointed and sad by her answer. “Is that what you really think?”

            “Yes.” Taeyeon gulp nervously.

            “Have you ever love me?” He asked.

            Taeyeon hesitate. Nichkhun's patient wait for her answer. He waited for a few minutes before he takes a step forward.          

            “Stop.” Said Taeyeon. “Your attention is confusing me. I don’t know when you are telling me the truth and when you are telling me lies. All I want right now is to be alone…away from you.”

            Taeyeon turns around and begins walking away—the opposite direction from the city. Nichkhun runs up to her—reach for her hand and grab a hold it. He stops her. She struggles to break free from his grip. He pulls her to him and forcefully kisses her, capturing her lips. Taeyeon tries to push his away. She gives one more push and succeeds in pushing slightly a bit away from her. She lifts her right hand in the air and slaps him across the fast. Shock by her action and hurt by his action. She turns around and walks away from him. He grabs her back by the hands and turns her body so that she faces him again.

            “Do you hate me that much?” Nichkhun said slightly in a loud tone. “Do you really not love me?”

            “What about you? Have you ever truly loved me?” Said Taeyeon in the same tone as his.

            “I have! I have!” Nichkhun explodes, letting out all his jealousy.

            Nichkhun inhales and exhales as he waits for her to say something… say that she loves him too, but the quite whisper pass them as the stand in the beautiful yellow flower field. He takes a couple of deep breaths to calm himself before he takes her right hand and placed at the center of his chest where his heart is beating.

            “Can you tell....” Nichkhun whispered as he looks into her eyes.

            Once again, she stands silently in front of him, but this time in her own lost world. She can’t tell her own feeling. She does not know if she loves him or not. However, she feels safe in his arms.

 

To be continued………………