Ch. 7: A plan

If Time Could Stop The Moment We Met

              Nichkhun spent the morning at the main camp of the Lee’s Army, training and planning for the next war. Jackson enters the main tent and greeted Nichkhun before he joins the meeting.

            Doojoon enter the tent and sees Nichkhun working diligently with Major, Captain, and Lieutenants. He walks up to him and the two brothers greeted with a smile.

            “I’ve never seen you work this diligently before.” Said Doojoon.

            “I was never interested in conquering the world. I only wanted peace and live a normal life.” Said Nichkhun.

            “You can, but that will be hard for the third master of the Lee’s Family. You will be surrounded by enemy and threats.”

            “Leaving the country is also an option.”

            “Are you willing to do that? Leave everything behind.”

            Nichkhun hesitates to answer him. He takes a moment to quietly to think to himself. “Will she go with me if I choose to leave?”

            “Nichkhun.” Said Doojoon as he walks up to the three-dimension map lay on the table. He picks up a Yellow flag, “The world is in chaos. Where ever we go, there will be war. If you choose to hide, you will end up losing everything.”

            Nichkhun hissed and smiles. “Sometimes, taken a step back will secure everything. Every leader in the world is fighting for only one thing…. For peace. A few want to dictate, but the rest of the leaders in the world only want what’s best for their family and people.”

            “You speak like a true married man.” Doojoon chuckles lightly.

            “You got married nine months before me, the second brother.” Said Nichkhun. He grabs the flag out of Doojoon hand and put it back where it belongs. “Since we were kids, I’ve always been envious of you. Look up to you. You achieve so much. You are decisive and great leader with skills that make you are today. I’m proud to have a brother like you.”

            Doojoon smiles and patted his back. “You are no different Nichkhun. I’ve noticed you’ve changed a lot. Your wit and bravery save not only the city by the mountain but also the heart of the people. I admit, you out beat me at that.” He said. “Come on, father and the rest are waiting for us at the dining room.”

            “I’m not hungry. You can go.” Said Nichkhun.

            “A man needs to eat to fight the next battle.” Said Doojoon before he wraps his right around Nichkhun’s shoulder and drags him out of the tent to the vehicle waiting at the front gate.

 

At [the Lee’s Resident]

Walking to the grand dinning room, Doojoon and Nichkhun enter and sees every at the table. Doojoon walks over to the seat next to So-hee. Nichkhun glance at the father before he walks over to the seat next to Taeyeon. Marshal Lee pick up the chopstick but stop when he notices Nichkhun wearing glove while holding onto the gloves.

            “Take off your glove.” Said Marshal Lee.

            Nichkhun stops and glance at So-hee then at Marshal Lee before he takes off his glove.

            “You know the rules of the house. Take off your gloves.” Marshal Lee ordered.

            Nichkhun did as he was told. Marshal Lee sees the bite mark on Nichkhun’s hand.

            “What happens to your hand?” Marshal Lee asked.

            Everyone at the table notices the bite marks on his hand. Nichkhun remains quiet, not knowing how to answer him. Taeyeon glance at bit mark on his hand and recalled what she overheard last night. Nichkhun nervous yet able to remain calm at the same time, he lightly kicks Taeyeon’s left feet, pleading for help.

            “Father, we had a small argument last night.” Sad Taeyeon.

            Marshal Lee takes a deep breath as he looks at Nichkhun, who was unable to face him, then back at the bowl of rice in front of him. “Let’s eat.” He said.

            Everyone continues to eat. Nichkhun quietly sighed in relief.

            After dinner was over, Nichkhun and Taeyeon walk back into their room. He wanted to say his gratitude to her, but the stubborn hold him back. Taeyeon stops in the middle of the room.

            “Is there something you want to say to me?” She said in a jealous yet calm tone.

            Nichkhun walks up to her and faces her. “I want to thank you for helping me back there. The bite was….”

            “I know who bite you, so you don’t have to tell who it was.” Taeyeon said, cutting him off from finishing his words. “Please be more careful next time. But I’m curious, how did a normal girl like me end up catching your attention? We’ve been married for a year and only by words but not officially a married couple. What are the reasons you married me? To hide the relationship, you and her have for each other?” She looks at him with a pair of hurt yet jealous eyes. The feeling the unknowingly builds inside of her.

            “It’s not what you think.” Said Nichkhun.

            “If you like So-hee than you shouldn’t give up on her and give her to the second brother.” Said Taeyeon. “Especially, you shouldn’t use me like this.”

            Nichkhun reaches for her hands and holds them like a fragile pearl in his hands. “Whatever you saw or heard, I don’t love her.” He said.

            Taeyeon pull her hands back, “Don’t tell me you love me?”

            Nichkhun gritted his teeth as the words inside his heart itches to escape his mouth, yet once again, his stubbornness stops him. Leaving him looking into her eyes and her waiting for his honest words. Nichkhun looks away. Taeyeon takes a few steps away from him with her back facing him and holding her hands together hoping he would say something, but he did not. Instead, he walks out of the room. Taeyeon closes her eyes, inhale and exhale, as the feeling of sadness flares inside of her.

            Nichkhun, in anger, hurriedly to the vehicle and order the driver to drive him to Hani house at the main city. The ride was not long about 15 minutes away from the mansion. The vehicle comes to a stop, Nichkhun exit the vehicle. The doors to the house open and two male maids bow, greeting Nichkhun as he enters the house. Hani walks down from the stairs after she hears a vehicle stop in front of the house. Her superstition was correct. She sees him walking up to the couch and takes a seat on the double seat couch.  

            Hani grabs a bottom of red wine and glass from the mini bar by the stair before she walks over to the coffee table in the main room. She places two glasses on the table and pours wine in it.

            “What makes the second master come here at this time?” Hani asked. “Shouldn’t you be at home resting?”

            “There’s too much trouble at the Lee’s resident. Here is a little bitter than home right now.” Said Nichkhun. He takes the glass of wine from her and drinks it. She pours him more wine.

            “I met your second brother and uncle a couple days ago.” Said Hani.

            Nichkhun’s eyes narrow into dangerous gazes as he stares at open space in front of him.

            “Are you curious?” Hani asked as she takes on the single couch.

            Nichkhun hissed. “Curious about what? About what my brother is planning?”

            Hani smiles. “They didn’t say much. However, their intention was to change my mind?”

            Nichkhun glance at her before he takes another drink. “Your mind?”

            “Yes. They want to recruit me.”

            “Miss Ahn is known by many leaders in Korea. It’s not surprising they come looking for you. I knew this day will come.”

            “A woman like me have nothing but money and my background. True that I have a great connection with many leaders in this country. If I’m not wrong, they want to use me for something greater.”

            Nichkhun chuckles lightly before he gritted his teeth. “I knew my uncle never like me.” He said, putting the glass down on the table. “In his eye, I’m the troublemaker, the son of the mistress that will steal the Lee’s inheritance away from the two brothers who are the son of the rightful wife of Lee Yun.” He sighed.

            “Are you going to do something about it?” Hani asked.

            Nichkhun smirk, “I already have someone watching every one of his steps.” He said.

            Hani pours more wines into his glass. “I guess I worried for nothing.”

            Nichkhun smiles as he picks up the glass and drinks again.

* * * * *

            Soo Geun exit the car and sees Nichkhun’s vehicle pulling up to the front and stop just 10 feet away from his vehicle. Nichkhun exits the car and greet Soo Geun with a 45-degree bow.

            “Uncle.”

            “Woke up early, so you went for a drive?”

            Nichkhun smiles, “Yes. What brought you here this early morning?” He asked.

            “I just came to have a few words with your dad and brother.” Said Soo Geun.

            “I see. Excuse me, I have to go see my wife.” Said Nichkhun before he bows and walks away.

            Soo Geun flashes fake smiles as he lightly nods and watches Nichkhun leave. His facial expression changes into a hate yet fierce looks. Nichkhun tilts his head to the side a bit and glance at Soo Geun, who is still standing beside his car and watching him. Nichkhun knew Soo Geun was here to look for Doojoon and report to him whatever he has discovered. He keeps walking and walking to his manor and up to his room. He did not see Taeyeon.

            The maid enters the room. Nichkhun turns around and sees the maid walking in with a dust brush.

            “Third Master.” Sunny greeted.

            “Have you seen Taeyeon?” Nichkhun asked

            “My lady is in the back. I believe she’s in the garden sitting by the patio.” Said Sunny.

            “Thank you.” Said Nichkhun before he hurriedly out of the room. He strolls to garden at a very fast speed and finds Taeyeon sitting on the big room by the small pond. Nichkhun quietly walks over to her and sit beside her. Taeyeon was deep in her thought as she looks at the ground.

            “What are you thinking about?” Nichkhun asked.

            Taeyeon jump, startles by Nichkhun voices. “You scare me.” She said. She looks away.

            “What were you thinking about?” He repeated.

            “Nothing much.” She said.

            Nichkhun lowers his head to looks at her unhappy facial expression. He grabs her right hand and places along small box in her hand.

            “For you.” He said.

            “What is it?” Taeyeon asked. Nichkhun did not answer. She opens the box and sees a beautiful sparkly necklace. She loves it but did not show it. “So-hee or Hani did not want this, so you give it to me?” she hands the box back to him.

            Nichkhun threw the box away. “If you don’t like it. I can take you to buy another one.” He said.

            “Why spend money on me?” She said. Taeyeon looks at him, “What is it that you want from me this time?” There was a slight anger in her tone.

            “To stroll the street with me.” He said, grabbing her right hand and drag her with him.

* * * * *

            “Uncle, I was able to capture the spies that tried to assassinate father. I was unable to get anything from them. They committed suicide during tortures.”  Said Doojoon.

            “They are well trained. The leader must be powerful and is from the inside.” Said Soo Geun. “I also retrieved news from the people. They report the spies is from the Kang’s. Rumors around the city said it was from the Choi.”

            “It can’t be from them. The spies must be from within… it must be someone we know.” Said Doojoon as he carefully thinks to himself.

            “We can’t trust anyone nor the rumors. Right now, finding out who are spies is not important. What they are waiting is for your father to make a move. However, your father knows what they want and remain calm. Therefore, there’s nothing to worry. Next step is the next heirloom to the Lee’s family and the Yoo’s. A child that will earn you more favor from your fathers. For the spies, leave it to me.”

            A part of Doojoon felt uncomfortable yet knew what Soo Geun wanted him to do. “Uncle, my father-in-law had just died and not formally buried yet. So-hee is in a situation of left and death. She has lost part of her heart. Right now, I just wanted to be by So-hee side and comfort her. I don’t want to put any more pressure on her.”

            “Nonsense and overprotective. One day, Nichkhun will overshadow you and take everything away from you.” Said Soo Geun. 

            “Uncle, you’re thinking too much. Nichkhun is playful. Moreover, he knows his place in the family as the son of the mistress. He will not cause any trouble in the family. Most important, His relationship with Taeyeon is not connecting. They don’t understand each other. He won’t be able to have a child soon.” Said Doojoon calmly.

            “I'm just worried that if you continue to be this kind to Nichkhun, the future will drift farther away from you.” Said Soo Geun with worries. “I can see what he want through his eyes. Right now, he wants the Yoo’s territory and it’s power. Doojoon, you need to begin planning.”

            Doojoon walks over to the window and sighed that fill with stress and full of worries. Half of him is worry about the future and crave for the family inheritance, while the other half wishes peace in the world and the family with no bloodshed. He knows he can’t have both, but all he could think of is comforting So-hee in the time of needs.

* * * * *

            Nichkhun’s vehicle stop in front of the most famous jewelry store in Seoul. The butler opens the doors for them. They exit the car. Nichkhun holds her right hand and walks into the store. They stop at the jewelry counter.

The salesman greeted them with a 45-degree bow.  “Good Morning Mr. Lee, what can I help you with today?” Did he ask?

            “My wife here is looking for a necklace, something with blue crystal or stone will do. I don’t care about the price.” Said Nichkhun.

            “Absolutely. We have a few new items that arrive yesterday. Please give me a moment. I will be right back.” Said The salesman politely.

            Taeyeon tries to pull her hand back, but Nichkhun holds tight onto her hand. “There’s no need. We’ve been married for this long, you don’t have to be nice to me.” Said Taeyeon, upset looking away.

            “If the price is not a problem then I will grab out latest jewelry.” Said the salesman.

            “Please do grab the most expensive.” Said Taeyeon as she looks at him.

            She was trying to make him mad, but instead, her words please him more. Nichkhun smirks. “That’s more like it.”

            The salesman leaves for a short moment, grabbing a few necklaces that are on displace to present to Nichkhun and Taeyeon. He came back within a minutes and place four of the latest model on the glass counter. The salesman places the small round mirror at the middle and steps aside to let her try on the necklace. Taeyeon’s eyes on the blue stones necklace but started first with the left display. She grabs the necklace that fills with diamond all around. Nichkhun was attracted to the necklace with nine blue stones. He grabs it and unhooks the lock of the necklace. He steps behind her and places the necklace around her neck. Taeyeon freeze, shock by his action. He hooks the necklace and pulls her beautiful hair out. Taeyeon’s heartbeat nervously fast as she fills his hands rest on her shoulder and slowly glide downs to her hands. She tries to push him away, but he holds her hands tightly at the center of her upper abdominal, securing her in his arms. He closed his eyes and smells her aroma. The sense he loves and calms him when he’s with her. The shy Taeyeon looks down at the floor.

            “Don’t move.” Said Nichkhun in a soft tone. He rests his chin on her left side shoulder. She tilts her head a bit to him. “You look very pretty with this necklace.” He whispered, gently. He glances at the salesman, who does not dare to look up at them, “Wrap up this set for me.”

            The salesman bows and immediately went to get the rest of the blue stones set.

            “What are you doing? We’re out in public.” Taeyeon whispered, shyly.

            “So?” Said Nichkhun still observing her beauty through the mirror. “I want to display my feeling for my wife. I want to world to see and know that you are mine.”

            His words made her even shyer. She feels her heart about to burst any minutes soon. Taeyeon shakes him off her just in time the salesman comes back with boxes nicely wrap. She takes off the necklace and hands it back to the salesman. Nichkhun smiles seeing how shy she is, he takes out his wallet and paid the salesman for the jewelry. He grabs the boxes with one hand and held her hand with his other free hand. They walk out of the store together. Nichkhun hands the butler the boxes before they cross the busy street. An uneasy cross her mind, she stops and pulls her hands back.

Nichkhun turns and looks at her. “What is it that you want this time?” Said Taeyeon.

            “I want to take you to see someone.” Said Nichkhun.

            “Who? Your lover?”

            Nichkhun takes a couple step closer to her and smiles seductively. “Jealous?”

            “No.”

            Nichkhun grabs her right hand again and walks into a fancy restaurant. The host bows and them to the second floor and to a room in the corner. The doors open, Taeyeon was shocked to see Kangin in the room. He turns and looks at Taeyeon first before bowing to Nichkhun.

            “Third master.” Kangin greeted him.

            Nichkhun glances at Taeyeon and sees her shock yet nervously face when looking at Kangin. He feels jealousy but push it aside and walks with her to the double seated couch. Kangin takes a seat on a single couch.

            “Did you wait long?” Nichkhun asked.

            “No, it has only been five minutes.” Said Kangin. “There must be a reason why you called me here.”

            Nichkhun chuckles lightly. “There is.” He said. “I would like some friendly advice from you. For the past days, my father shows no concern about the spies. This makes it hard for me to choose whether I should pursue the spies or have a word with the Hwang family. My older brother chose to focus on the Lee’s army and sending people out to arrest those that are suspicious. The second brother is unknown right now. The Hwang have something that belongs to the Ahn’s family.”

            “Are you talking about the gold jade ring?” Said Kangin.

            “Yes.” Said Nichkhun. “It’s the Yoo’s inheritance pass down for generation. I must get it back before the burial.”

            “Hwang Chansung is at Taejon and training the soldiers.”

            “Marshal Hwang is also there as well. It takes one day to go back and forth.”

            Kangin looks at him with calm yet vicious eyes. “I’m guessing you plan on going.”

            Nichkhun looks at Taeyeon, “It depends on my wife and how well she does on convincing first sister.” He said.

            Taeyeon looks at him confusingly but soon realize what he meant and wanted her to do. Kangin worriedly looks at her, wishing that she will refuse it, but no words come out of .

Nichkhun reaches for her hands, place his over hers, “For my teacher, I must retrieve the gold jade necklace back. It’s the only thing I can do for him before he’s bury. Only you can convince the first sister to go and convince Marshal Hwang. I promise I won’t let anyone hurt you.” He said.

Taeyeon silently agrees to his plan.

* * * * *

            Marshal Lee circles around the small Well Flowers in the garden with a watering can in his right hand, watering the flowering gently. Nichkhun enters the Garden, looking for Marshal Lee. He walks around the place a little and finds him standing and observe the flowers.

            He walks up to him, “Father.” He greeted Marshal Lee.

            “You knew who the killer was.” Said Marshal Lee.

            “Yes.”

            “You’re planning to hunt him down.”

            “Yes.”

            “He’s a member of the Choi’s Army. Do you assume it was the Choi’s plan?”

            “No father. I believe there’s someone else behind it.”

            Marshal Lee put the watering can down on the ground before he turns and looks at the Nichkhun with serious facial expression. “Is revenge all you think about.” Nichkhun is wordless as Marshal Lee looks at him. “You think it’s the Legion Alliance?” He asked. Nichkhun could only silently nod.

            “Seung-gi is already ahead of me a step. He has already people to go arrest the Legion Alliance people.” Said Nichkhun.

            “You can only follow your brother steps?”

            “Father, Seung-gi is a talented and wits man. He’s very careful with every move he makes.”

            Marshal Lee turn around with his back facing him. “Leave.” He said in the cold yet unhappy tone.

            Nichkhun looks at Marshal Lee before he lightly bows his head and leaves. Marshal Lee disappointedly looks at the flowers.

 

To be continued……………………...