Chapter 14: Embrace of Love

If Time Could Stop The Moment We Met

[At an old house – approximately 8 miles away from the city.]

            Nichkhun’s awake from unconsciousness. He looks around the place. He tries to move but the rope around him was too tight. A body behind begins to move a little. He turns his head and sees So-hee laying on the hay behind him.
            “Second sister.” Nichkhun called.

            So-hee slowly opens her eyes.

            “Are you okay?” Nichkhun asked.

            Looking out the window as she gathers her consciousness. So-hee gets up and sits facing the opposite direction.

            “Where are we?” So-hee asked.

            “I don’t know.” Nichkhun answered. “Don’t worry.”

            So-hee giggles lightly. “I’m no worry at all. I’ve always wanted to with you…. Now, my dream has come true.” She said. “Nichkhun, I want to be you.”

            Nichkhun inhales and exhale. “So-hee, I only see you as a little sister. Nothing more.”

            “You’re lying.” Said So-hee, raising her voice a little.

            “The second brother love you very much. You should reciprocate his feeling for you.”

            “Love me?... If he loves me, why did he neglect me when we were kids. Everything he has done was only for himself and my father. He only wants to satisfy my father and take over his power. Now that my father is dead. I fear nothing. He does not have to listen to my father orders. Maybe, this kidnap was his plan as well, kidnapping us both.”

            Nichkhun hissed and shook his head lightly. “I don’t think so. The second brother won’t be this careless. He will never hurt you.” He said.

            “How would you know?”

            “Because if want my life, he doesn’t have to go through all this trouble to plan something so childish and useless to capture me. If he wants my life, he can shoot me from a mile away.” Said Nichkhun, “I grew up with him. I know how he is. He may be hot headed and stubborn, but he cares about the family and, mostly, about you.”

            “I don’t believe you.”

            “Since we were kids, he does everything to get you out of trouble. Help you with what you need.”

            “I don’t remember anything. I only remember you being there when I needed help.”

            “So-hee, think hard. Every time there’s trouble, he is there.”

            So-hee hesitate.

            “He never once left your side.”

            “You say whatever you want. I don’t care.” Said So-hee, sadly. “The only thing I know is being sacrificed in this sad and unhappy marriage.”

            “Teacher made the right choice. Marrying the second brother is the best choice. Teacher know I will never love anyone.”

            “You are lying. Why did you marry Taeyeon? Why do you have an affair with Hani? Why won’t you look at me?” Said So-hee loudly in an unhappy and jealous tone.  

            “Taeyeon is an exception.”

            So-hee bites her bottom lips jealously.

            “You love her?”         

            Nichkhun hesitates to answer her. So-hee waits for his answer.

            “If you don’t love her then why marry her in the first place?”

            “Because she comes from a family that no one will care. She’s a nobody.” He lied through his teeth as he stares at the floor. “But only I care.
            “You’re using her?”

            “No.” He said. Nichkhun shook his head. “You will get nothing from me. You will not have my heart… It belongs to her only.”

            Tears falling down her eyes.

 

[In the Third Master’s Manor: Master Bedroom]

 

A day have past, no letters, no words from the kidnappers. Taeyeon waits at the king size bed for Nichkhun’s new. Suddenly, she hears his voices whispering slowly inside her head.

 

“Can you open your heart for me… even just a little?”
“Not once you show me you care about me. Not once you show me you love me… You always doubt that our marriage was fake. You always say that our marriage was just a show to cover the truth in this house. A house is full of odium, lies, and fear. Your heart must be cold. If only you were with your lover, your heart is warm and love again.”

Nichkhun’s words continue repeats inside her head. She felt pain and sadness remember everything she said to him…. her words were knives trying to pierce through him.

 

* * * * *

Kangin walks into a church and sees a man holding onto his crane as he stands in front of the statue. Kangin walks down the aisle and greeted him with a bow.

            “You call me here for what reason?” Juk-suk asked.

            “I want to know if Nichkhun missing was your planned or not?” Kangin asked.

            Juk-suk turns around and looks at him, “No. I did not kidnap him.” He said.

            “Then who could it be?” Kangin question himself.

            Juk-suk lightly smirks, “Whoever it is, must be on the same boat as us.”

            “The kidnappers did not ask for anything in the letter. They only inform the Lee’s family that Nichkhun is in their hand.”

            “Yet.” Said Juk-suk. “Interesting. Someone dares to kidnap Nichkhun in public. They sure don’t know what death is.”

            “General, what should I do?” Kangin asked.

            “You want to him escape?” Juk-suk narrow the bridge gap between his eyebrows.

            “To help a friend out.”

            “A friend or a lover?” Juk-suk sighed. “This is a good opportunity to get rid of him”

            “General.” Kangin gulp.

            “To return a favor for helping in the past, I will not step in this time.” Said Juk-suk.

            “Thank you general.” Kangin bowed before he leaves.

            Kangin begins searching for any clues that will help him find Nichkhun.  Hyoyeon assists Kangin in searching for clues as well. They spend nearly a day searching for the whole city.  Hyoyeon strolls the busy street but stop when she caught a suspicious man covering his face as he enters the small valley. She follows him into the valley and stays hidden before a wall.

            “Big brother Baek, what should we do next? The Lee’s family has sent a small unit searching for Nichkhun.” Said one of the two men.

            “Good. Now we can make a demand from the Lee’s family.”

            “We were only supposed to kidnap Nichkhun. How did we end up kidnapping Second lady of the Lee’s family, the wife of the second master, Doojoon?” Said the second in a frightened tone.

            Baek smacks him in the back of the head, “Shut up. It happens already. There’s no going back. It’s was her bad luck, not our fault.”

            “Doojoon is someone we should not mess with.” Said the first man.

            “I don’t care. All I want now is money. Write them another letter demanding for money. I want 300 trillion won from them within two days. If they don’t have the money, then they can pick the body outside the city. Once we get the money will make another request from the other end that plan this. Also, let the other two know the plan and get ready to pick up the money from the Lee’s family. They are at the An-Yi hostel, right now.” Said Baek. “I’m going to check on them. Meet me there once you deliver the letter.”

            The two men bow before they leave. Hyoyeon quickly when behind another wall and watches the two men leave the small valley. She waited for the last one to leave then begin following him close out the city. Carefully not to get discovered, Hyoyeon manages to find out where the kidnappers have been hiding and hosting Nichkhun and So-hee hostage at. She quickly heads back to the city and meets up with Kangin at the living room of Nichkhun’s manor.

            “The letter should be on the way by now.” Said Kangin, “They demand 300 trillion from the Lee in two days. 300 trillion is not a small number.”

            “We pretend to agree to their deal. That will buy us enough time to rescue third master and second lady.” Said Hyoyeon.

            “Then we must hurry.” Said Taeyeon in an anxious.

            “Hold on. We have to do this carefully.”

            “We need to tell the first brother.” Taeyeon suggest.

            “No. If he knows, he will mobilize his people to the place. It will only piss the kidnappers off and kill the third master and second lady.”  

            “What should we do then?” Taeyeon suggest.

            “There are five kidnappers so far. We don’t know who else is also behind this.” Said Hyoyeon.

            Taeyeon looks at Kangin suspiciously. Kangin knew what she was thinking.

            Kangin inhales and exhale. “I will go.” He said.

            “Then I will go with you.” Said Taeyeon.

            “No, it’s too dangerous.” Kangin disagrees.

            “It was my fault that he’s in this situation. I need to see if Nichkhun is hurt or not.” Taeyeon insists. “He is my husband. I don’t care how dangerous it is, I must go.” She said, determinedly.

            “Kangin, you can’t change her mind.” Said Hyoyeon.

            Kangin sighed. “Okay, here’s the plan. Since the third master’s people know you, you will go and take as many as you can with you. Send a few to capture the other two kidnappers. Taeyeon and I will go to the kidnappers’ place. Remember, do not let anybody else know about this. We must lay low to successfully rescue third master and second lady.”

            Hyoyeon nod. She leaves the manor calmly. Shortly, Kangin takes Taeyeon with him to the place. He drives out of the city and down the rocky road into the forest.

            Kangin quickly glances at Taeyeon and sees worries look on her face.

            “If I had met up with you and take you away. We wouldn’t have to go through this.” Said Kangin.

            Taeyeon hesitates for a moment. “It wouldn’t the same. Our love in the past had no fear, no blind, no route. Only naïve would take that route.”

            Her words strike him, angers him a little. “Are you saying that our love was stupid, weak, and an opera for others to watch and enjoy.” He said as he steps on the brake pedal. He looks at her. “What am I to you? The things that I’m doing right now is for who?”

            Taeyeon looks away then get out of the car. She places both hands on the vehicle for support as she tries to hold back her emotion.

            Kangin got out of the car and sees her confused and sad face as if she’s about to fall any second. He slowly walks over to her and stands behind her.

            “Are you telling that you’ve never once loved me?”

            “If… if my dad did not take the wrong step… if only my mother was still alive… I wouldn’t be married into the Lee’s family. I would still be the old Taeyeon that once dream to make a change in this world.” Taeyeon said, emotionally. “We—there might be a possibility for us. But it’s too late.”

            “I am the past now?”

            “Yes.”  Said Taeyeon with her eyes closed, holding back her tears. “I promise my mother that I will marry the third son of the Lee’s family and help my day back on his righteous path in the government…. I had no other choice.”

            Kangin hands roll into tight fists. “I came late.”

            “No. Our time has passed. I made this choice.” Said Taeyeon as she turns around. “We are no longer the same.” She walks away, back into the car.

            “If you have one more choice?” He said loudly.

            Taeyeon stop. Kangin walks up to her and grabs her arms. She wings his hands away.

            “How could you say such a thing?” Said Taeyeon as she lets out her tears. “Right now, all I want is him to be alive… live for me. I really wish that the hostage was me instead of him. There would be so much burden on my shoulder if it was me.”

            “Don’t worry. They only demand money from the Lee’s.” Said Kangin, in a sad tone. “They won’t take his life.”

            “You are right. As long as they have the money… but if anything was to go wrong. He must die beside me. I want to see him leave peacefully.”

            Kangin looks away. He inhales and exhales as he looks around the place. Taeyeon wipes her tears away. We must be close by.” He said.

* * * * *

            Two men finally back from delivering the letter to the Lee’s resident. The walks into the house and sees Baek sleeping against the wall. One of the men walks up to the room, open the door a little, and take a peak. Both Nichkhun and So-hee are still tied up and sitting in the room. He notices how dry up So-hee lips are and went to get a cup of water.

            “What are you doing?” The second kidnapper asked.

            “Giving her water.” Said the first kidnapper.

            “Yi, just let her be.”

            “Our job is to keep them alive.” Said Yi. “Shouldn’t we give her a little water, Chun?”

            Chun sighed. “Fine.”

            Yi walks into the room, kneel on one knee and feed her water. He got up and walks toward the door.

            “Wait.” Said So-hee.

            Yi stops and looks at her.

            “Please let us go.” So-hee begged.

            “I can’t. It’s not up to me.” Said Yi.

            “What if I make a deal with you?” Said Nichkhun as he lifts up his head and looks at Yi. “I will tell you where the treasure is if you let us go.”

            Baek listens to their conversation. His eye flew wide open.

            “How about this? If you let her go, I will give you the half of the road to the treasure. She will take you the first half.” Said Nichkhun.

            Yi hesitates as he nervously looks at the floors.

            “Tell me, where is the treasure.” Baek demand.

            Nichkhun hissed. “Why should I tell you? I’m making a deal with him.” He said as he looks at Yi.

            “No big brother, there’s no deal between him and me.” Said Yi nervously.

            Baek takes out his gun and point at So-hee. “Tell me, where is the treasure?” He raises his voice.

            “Baek!” Chun grabs his wrist, stopping him from killing both Nichkhun and So-hee. “They must be alive. Remember we have the other two waiting to retrieve the money.”

            Reminded by Chun, Baek looks at Nichkhun again before he put his gun away.

            “Keeping me alive won’t get you anything. Only when I am dead, is when the Lee’s family will be affected.” Said Nichkhun.

            “What are you trying to say?” Chun asked.

            “It seems like you know nothing about the Lee’s family.” Nichkhun hissed and look at Chun. “Lee’s family is filled with wars, one fighting another for the inheritance. We don’t trust each other. Every moment is carefully thought to keep ourselves alive. My life… it means nothing.”

            “How can your life mean nothing when you are the third master of the Lee’s family? You’re lying.” Said Baek.

            “My life is a gamble. If I win every round I get to live longer. If I lose, my life is gone.” Said Nichkhun, calmly. “How about we play a game? Baccarat? If you win I will tell you where the treasure is, but if I win, you let her go.”

            The three of them looks at each other as they hesitate and think carefully before answering.

            “A treasure that lasts four generations.” Nichkhun added.

            “Deal!” Baek answered.

            “Then untied me.” Said Nichkhun with a smirk. “Don’t worry, I won’t run. I like to make friend with smart people. Plus, we have a game to play. It has been a long time for me. My hands are itchy to play it again.”

            Baek signal Yi to untie Nichkhun. They walk out of the room and sit at the table in the center of the family room. Nichkhun and So-hee walk over to the table. So-hee takes a seat by the window, while Nichkhun seated at the table. Chun takes out a deck of card and begins shuffling. He begins dealing with each person three cards.

            As Nichkhun pick up the cards, he glances at it quickly before placing it down on the table.

            “You guys seem very professional at this?” Nichkhun asked.

            Baek hissed, confidently.

            “Let’s make the game more interesting.” Said Nichkhun. The three of them looks at him, “Each round winner gets to ask a question.”            

            “Fine.” Chun agreed immediately.

            Yi unfolds his cards, Two jacks and a four. Chun had a seven, nine, and queen. Baek laughs as he smashed his cards on the table –a two, six, and a jack.

            Baek point at Nichkhun, “Unfold your card.” He commands.

            Nichkhun did as he was told. A pair of kings and a nine. “Man, I'm feeling lucky again.” He said, happily yet carefully observing the kidnappers. “Answer my previous question.” He said.    

            Baek smirks confidently, “We’ve done this a dozen of times. Kidnapping, killing, and stealing other peoples is what we do best.” He looks at Yi, “Even he has killed someone before. We’re criminals wanted by many cities.”

            Nichkhun nodded as he picks new cards. A few rounds pass, Nichkhun continues to win. Baek slowly losing his temper and growing impatient. He looks at Nichkhun fiercely.

            Baek smashes his palms on the table as he stands. “I don’t believe that you can every round we play.”  He said in anger as he pulls out his gun and point at Nichkhun’s head. “You must be cheating.

            So-hee jolt to her feet, “Don’t!” She shouts.

            Chun grabs his hand, stopping him. “You can’t.” He said.

            Nichkhun seizes the time, stand and grab Baek's hand, turning the gun toward Yi. Baek accidentally pulls the trigger and shot Yi at the heart. Nichkhun throws a punch at Chun's chest, sending him back against the door. Baek was still shocked. Nichkhun immediately takes the gun away from Baek. Chun runs to aid Baek but So-hee use her body to push Chun away. Nichkhun was slightly distracted by So-hee’s fall. Baek flips the table. Nichkhun retreats a few steps. Baek wraps his arm around him, trying to hold him still. Nichkhun right elbows Baek in the stomach a couple of times then grab his left hand, moving it away from him. Nichkhun escapes from his grip and pushes him against the wall. He immediately points at the gun at Baek.

            “Stop!” Chun said as he holds So-hee hostage.

            Nichkhun smirk. He grabs Baek and moves him in front. He kicks the back of the knee. Baek falls on his right knee.

            “Lee Nichkhun. You are smart.” Chun praise with evil looks.

Nichkhun smirk. “Done talking?” He said. “What should you do next?”

            “No more deal. I will not fall for your trick anymore.” Said Chun. “Release him and tell me where the treasure is.”

            “Treasure. You don’t know me. You’ve never seen me, yet you dare to kidnap me here.” Nichkhun hissed. “What makes you think I will tell you where the Lee’s treasure is. Tell me, who are you working for?”

            Chun moves the gun closer to So-hee neck. “If you don’t tell me where the treasure is I will shoot her.”

            “Tell him where the treasure is!” Baek said, breathing heavily.

            “Don’t be too greedy.” Said Nichkhun. He looks at Chun. “Let’s exchange hostage… or else” He pulls the trigger and shot Baek’s right leg.

            Chun gasps in shock. Nichkhun pulls Baek head closer and point the gun at the top of his head.

            “The nest bullet will be here if you don’t release her.” Said Nichkhun, ruthlessly.

            “Chun, save me.” Baek beg.

            “Don’t make me pull the trigger again. I can’t guarantee his life.” Said Nichkhun with cruel looks.  

            “Listen to him! If I die, the money we found from many years ago will be gone.” Said Baek frightenedly.

            Nichkhun smirk again. Chun moves the hostage in front of him. “Go!” He pushes her. Chun holds the gun firmly at her as she slowly walks over to Nichkhun.

            Nichkhun lightly nodded his head. So-hee push Baek to the side. Nichkhun shoot Chun at his heart. Baek grabs So-hee by the throat as he hides behind her.

            “Put the gun down! Or else I will kill her.” Baek command.

            Nichkhun gritted his teeth as he still holds the gun at them.

            “Nichkhun.”

            “Put the gun down!” Baek command again.

            Kangin and Taeyeon finally arrive at the house and heard gunshots. Taeyeon feels her heart about to jump out as she thinks of Nichkhun.

            “Shoot me!” So-hee shouted.

            “Put the gun down!” Baek slowly walks to the front door and open the doors.

            Kangin and Taeyeon hurriedly rush to the house.

            “Nichkhun!” Taeyeon shouted, worriedly.

            Kangin pulls the triggered. Bang! A loud noise echoes. Taeyeon turns and sees Kangin holding a gun and pointing it toward Nichkhun direction. Her heart stops for a second. She looks at Kangin in confusing and fear as she tries to breathe again. Kangin looks at her with sharp eyes as if his aim was meant at someone. He lowers the gun.

Nichkhun…” Taeyeon whispered his name inside her head as slowly turn her heard and pray that the bullet hit the kidnapper, not Nichkhun. She sees him still standing. Baek fatally falls to the floor. So-hee’s eyes were closed in fear after a loud bang. Nichkhun was shocked. So-hee’s open her eyes and looks at Nichkhun. Taeyeon breath heavily with tears circling her eyes. Nichkhun runs toward her. So-hee smiles seeing him running to her but disappear when he runs pass her. He was happy to see Taeyeon after a couple of days have passed. He runs to her and embraces her tightly. Both Kangin and So-hee look at them in shock.

            “Taeyeon.” Nichkhun lost his breath holding her warm body. “You’re here…. You’re actually here.”

            Taeyeon wraps her arms around him as tears gliding down her eyes.

            Nichkhun remembers So-hee still standing behind and looking at him. “Hold me tightly.” He whispered.

            Taeyeon was confused. Her arms are around, hugging him tightly. The emotion was real. The tears were real.

            “So-hee is looking at us.” Nichkhun whispered to her ear.

            Taeyeon glance at So-hee and sees her looking at him. Taeyeon closes her eyes tightly as tears continue gliding down her cheeks.

She begins hitting hit upper back and crying hard. “Do you know how sorry I was? I was frightened that I would never see you again.” She speaks through tears.

            Nichkhun feels a part of him question her emotion—her tear while the part of him take this time to hold her tightly in his arm. “I miss you, Taeyeon.” He whispered. His affection was real. “Sorry for making you worry. Everything is okay now.”

            Over five vehicles arrive at the house. Hyoyeon quickly gets out of the car and hurries over to Kangin.

            “Where are the kidnappers?” She asked.

            “Inside.” Said Kangin without taking his eyes of Nichkhun and Taeyeon.

            Hyoyeon looks at where he is looking and sees Nichkhun embracing Taeyeon.

            “They’re all dead.” Said Nichkhun without releasing the tearing Taeyeon. His men nodded and walk into the house, collecting the kidnapper’s bodies.

            “I saw your cars down the road.”

            “We were close by, so we walk instead. I didn’t want the kidnappers to hear us.” Said Kangin. “Let us take them back to the Lee’s resident.”

            Hyoyeon nod. She walks up to So-hee and escorts her to Kangin car. Nichkhun pulls Taeyeon away and sees her in tears. He gently wipes her tears away in happiness.

            “Let’s go home.” Nichkhun said softly.

            Taeyeon nods her head lightly. Nichkhun holds her left hand and walks to Kangin’s car. Seating in the back while So-hee sit on the passenger side and Kangin driving, Taeyeon rest her head on Nichkhun right shoulder with his arm around her, holding her close to him. The journey home was quiet. So-hee glancing at the mirror and sees Nichkhun resting his head on Taeyeon with his eyes closed.

            “Your tears…was the tears for me?” Nichkhun said inside his head.

            “Did you know… the tears were real? I was frightened… I couldn’t when I heard a loud bang. I thought I would never see you again.” Taeyeon whispered inside her head as she keeps her eyes close tight.

            Kangin keeps under control by looking at the road, making sure the drive is safe. The drive was a little than before. Taeyeon rests her arms around Nichkhun, playing the part of a worried wife, but the truth is she willing wraps her arms around him. She wants his sense close. It was the only to ease her worry beating heart.

            The sunset, skies turn dark. Ten minutes till eight, they arrive at the Lee’s resident. Yeon-seo and Seung-gi wait at the front. Kangin press on the break. The car stop. So-hee immediately steps out of the car and hurriedly into the mansion. Nichkhun exit the car first and walks over to the other side of the car and open the door for Taeyeon. He helps her out of the call and the two of them greeted Yeon-seo and Seung-gi.

            “First brother. First sister.” Both greeted them.

            Yeon-seo was ease to see both of them return safely home. She places her palm on Taeyeon right side of her face gently hers. “I thank god that both return home safely.” She said.

            “I am sorry for making the first sister worried.” Said Taeyeon, guilty.

            Yeon-seo shakes her head “It’s was family do. We worry and care for each other.” She said.

            “It must be hard for you and So-hee these couple days.” Said Seung-gi. “Did the kidnappers hurt you?”

            “No.” Nichkhun answered.

            Seung-gi nod. “Good. You must be tired. Why don’t you two go rest? I will inform father that you and So-hee arrive home safely with Taeyeon and your people.” He said.

            “Thank you.” Said Nichkhun with a light bow. He holds Taeyeon right hand. Taeyeon bow to Yeon-seo and Seung-gi before she leaves with Nichkhun to their manor.

            Seung-gi watches them leave a for a bit before he looks at Kangin, who immediately greeted him with a bow. He returns Kangin bow with a light bow.  

           

[Doojoon’s room]

            Upon hearing So-hee safely return home and in the master bedroom, Doojoon hurriedly run to the room and see her sitting in front of the dresser desk with an unhappy face.

            “So-hee.” Doojoon walks up to her and embraces her tightly. “You’re finally home and safe. I’m sorry I was useless. I want to send people to search for you. I wanted to go look for you, but father refuses and told to stay low. I was useless. I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you.”

            So-hee shed tears as she looks down at the desk. Doojoon grabs and holds both her hands.

            “Please yell at me. Hit me. I am willing to do anything to make you smile again.” Doojoon plead. So-hee did not say anything. She only shed tears quietly. “I promise you I would never leave your side. I would never let anyone hurt you. I promise I will find the person that kill your father and the one that dares to kidnap you.” Said Doojoon worriedly. So-hee wraps her arms around him, embracing him as she shed tears.

 

To be continued…………………………