Chapter 10: A story of his mother

If Time Could Stop The Moment We Met

            The next morning, So-hee walks into the room and sees Marshal Lee sleeping on the chair beside her father’s picture. Hearing the footstep closer and closer, Marshal Lee wakes from his sleep and sees So-hee standing just three feet away. So-hee greet Marshal Lee with a light bow.

            “Father. You must have been here all night.”

            Marshal Lee take a deep breath, “It has been a long time since I had a talk with him, so I thought before burial I should come and have a talk with him one last time.” He said.

            “I believe my father will be happy that his old friend spent the last minutes with him.” Said So-hee. “Father, you must be tired. It’s better if you stay home today.”

            “I’m fine.” Said Marshal Lee.

            A soldier enters the room hurriedly and bowed before he talks. “General, there a message for you. It’s urgent.”

            “It can wait.” Said Marshal Lee.

            “Father, you should go see it. Doojoon and I will take care of the rest. The walk is not short. It’s best if you stay home and rest. My father will understand.” So-hee said, persuasively.

            Marshal Lee sighed, “If you insist.” He said. He stands up and leaves the room.

            As Marshal Lee leaves the room, Nichkhun, Taeyeon, and Yeon-seo walk up to him.

            “Father.” Nichkhun greeted him with a bow. Taeyeon and Yeon-seo kneel a little with their head low to 45-degree.

            “You’re back.” Said Marshal Lee.

            “Yes, father.” Said Nichkhun. “Taeyeon and Yeon-seo were able to obtain the ring back from the Hwang.”

            Marshal Lee lightly nodded, “Good. Good.” He said. “Jaesuk will be happy. He can rest in peace now. The ring that belongs to his family is now back with him.”

            Seung-gi walks up to them and stands beside Yeon-seo. “Was the drive long and tiring?” He asked, worriedly.

            Yeon-seo shook her head lightly.

            “How did you get it back? Did General Hwang give you a hard time?” Marshal Lee asked.

            Yeon-seo opens and was about to speak but Nichkhun cut her off, “No. not at all.” Said Nichkhun. “Taeyeon and Yeon-seo just exchange a few words that’s all.”

            Taeyeon looks at him with a confused and surprised face from behind. Marshal Lee looks straight into Nichkhun’s eyes. Half of him knew Nichkhun as lying, but he did not push him to speak the truth.

            “Father, you look very tired. You should go rest. Nichkhun, Doojoon, and I will take care of the burial.” Said Seung-gi. Marshal Lee nodded before he walks away. “Everything is ready now. We should go.”

            “I’ll carry the picture out.” Said Nichkhun.

            “Alright.” Said Seung-gi. He holds Yeon-seo hand and walks to the front door. Nichkhun went to grab the picture from the wall and carefully carries the big frame out of the room. So-hee and Taeyeon follow him out of the house. Two rows standing opposite of each other, leaving the center path for Nichkhun as he carries the picture and place it in front of the coffin, Nichkhun bow before getting down from the vehicle and over to Taeyeon.

            “Let’s get in the car.” Said Nichkhun. Taeyeon nod. He opens the door for her. She entered the car. Kangin walks up to him. “You take the front seat.”

            “Yes, sir.” Said Kangin with his head down.

            Nichkhun entered the car and closed the door. The first car leads the way at a slow and steady speed of 8 km followed by the second and third car, and then the black truck that carries the coffin. The sky suddenly becomes gloomy and rains pouring down. Driving through the city with citizen standing on the side of the street. Suddenly a group of people blocking the road. The cars come to a stop.

            “Get out of the way.” Said the soldier loudly.

            The group did not move. Doojoon gets out of the car. A soldier walks up to him with an umbrella.

            “What’s wrong?” Doojoon asked.

            “There’s a group of people standing in the way.” The soldier reports.

            The group of people throw their umbrella away and hold up the rebellion flag. “Rebel against the Lee’s! Give us back our freedom!” They shout. The group of rebellion continues to shout the same phrase over and over.

            “The Legion Alliance.” Doojoon gritted his teeth as he glared at the group. He tilts his head to the side, “Clean up the road.”

            “Yes, sir.” The commander signals the soldiers to clear the road. Soldiers running up to the rebellion and try to push them aside.

            Sitting in the car, Nichkhun irritated watches the rebellion blocks their way. Taeyeon looks back and forth, frightenedly a little by the commotion.

            “What’s going on? Why are people running?” Taeyeon asked. Nichkhun glance out the window then looks at her. He did not answer.

             “Kangin, let get out of the car.” Said Nichkhun.

            Kangin looks back and nod. He leaves the car first. Nichkhun reaches for the door handle but stops when Taeyeon grab onto his left arm. Looking into her frightened and worried eyes, he knew what she wanted to say.

            “Taeyeon, stay in the car. I’m gonna go see what’s going on.” Said Nichkhun. He opens the door. A soldier walks up to him with an umbrella. He grabs it from him. Nichkhun walks up to Doojoon and looks at the rebellion group. “Today is Teacher’s Yoo burial. They dare to come and cause troubles.”

            Seung-gi joins them—standing on the other side of Doojoon. “How did they know?” He said.

            “It must be from an insider. We have a spy.” Said Nichkhun.

            Seung gi hissed. “One spy after another. When will it end?”

            “What matter right now is the rebels are blocking the way.” Said Nichkhun as he watches the rebels trying to break through the guard.  

            “I don’t care how many there is. Today is my father-in-law burial, I must bury him properly. Telling them to make road is nice enough already. If they don’t cooperate, don’t blame me for being cruel.”

            “Do whatever it takes to clear the road.” Said Seung-gi before he walks back to his car.

            Nichkhun sighed and looks at them one last time before he walks back to his car. Taeyeon rolls the window down. “What’s going on?” She asked, worriedly.

            “A group of people is causing trouble. Doojoon is handling the situation.” Said Nichkhun.

            The rebellion pushes and pulls, trying to break through the barrier. Doojoon grips his fists tightly as he glared at them. He pulls out his gun, holds up and pulls the trigger.

            Bang!

            The gunshot startle So-hee, Taeyeon, and Yeon-seo. Citizen seek for a hiding place after they heard Doojoon fire another bullet in the air. Nichkhun quickly pulls out his gun.

            “Move out of the way!” Doojoon shout in anger.

            The group of rebellion refuses to listen. Doojoon grips his fists tightly.

            So-hee grabs onto his fist, hoping to soothe his anger. “Doojoon, today is my father burial. Please don’t use gun or sharp object.”

            “I’m sorry. I won’t use gun.” Said Doojoon. He looks at the soldier holding the umbrella for her. “Take the second lady back to the car.”

            “Yes, sir.” Said the soldiers, holding the umbrella.

            “Doojoon.”

            “Don’t worry. Go back to the car. I’ll handle this.” Said Doojoon. So-hee hopelessly obeys and walks back to the car. He watches her get back in the car then turn and looks angrily at the rebellion group. “Beat them up!” He shouts in anger.

            A group of soldiers pull out their wooden stick and begin to beat up the rebellion. Kangin hurriedly runs up to the rebellion group and push as many as he can out of the way before the soldier beat them up with their wooden stick. Some begin to throw vegetables at Doojoon and the cars. One of the rebellion hit the picture and coffin. Doojoon turns and sees a couple eggs hit the coffin. He turns back at the crowds with fierce eyes. The soldiers push the rebellions aside and beat up them repeatedly. Doojoon throws the umbrella away, he walks up to the soldier and grabs the stick from him. He begins to beat the rebellion who stand in his way and disrespect his father-in-law. Seung-gi walks out of the car and grab a wooden stick from the soldier nearby and stay beside his car. Doojoon and his people successfully make way for the cars to move again, but slowly. People fall to the ground. Reporter runs to the scene takes pictures of the chaos. Nichkhun pushing the rebellion away from his car. Taeyeon gasps and frightenedly close her eyes her a moment.

            Kangin grabs one of the rebellion people collars, lift him up, and throw him to the side. A man tackles Nichkhun against the car. Nichkhun grunt in pain a little. Taeyeon sees, gasp, and cover . Nichkhun kicks the man away. He turns to check on Taeyeon and sees her frightened looks.

            “Do not allow them near the third lady!” Nichkhun shouts, fiercely.

            Soldiers come running to his car and surround the car as it moves forward. As the rain became heavier, more soldier comes running from the south of the road—pushing and pulling the rebellion out of the way. Ten minutes later, Doojoon and his soldiers clear the road. Doojoon gets back in his car, the car picks up the speed again driving to its destination. Arrived at the Royal Graveyard, the soldiers carry the coffin to the spot by the pond. Everyone surrounds the place as the soldiers place the coffin inside the hole and bury it. Everyone bows one last time before they leave the graveyard and head back home.

            As they walk to their manor.

            “Are you okay?” Taeyeon asked. She's worried yet she tries to hide her worriedness.

            “I’m fine. How about you?” He asked.

            “I’m fine.” Said Taeyeon.

            Nichkhun wraps his left arm around her waist and pulls her closer to him. “You were afraid early. Are you still afraid now?”

            Taeyeon shyly shook her head. “Today is the first time I see the second brother so fierce and angry. He showed no mercy today.” She sighed as she plays looks down at her intertwined hands. “I was scared.”

            Nichkhun smiles as he holds her close to him, comforting her. “Don’t be afraid. I’m here. No one will dare to hurt you.”

            Taeyeon turns and looks at him closely. “Back at Kimch’on and here today, I see a different side of you.” She said.

            “What side? I’m always the same.” He said with a light smile.

            Nichkhun opens the door. They enter their master bedroom. He escorts her to the couch and before walks over to the bar on the left of the room.

            “There was a lot of photographers today, it’s best that you don’t leave this house without escorts.” Said Nichkhun as he pours whiskey into a glass in front of him. Suddenly, he paused as shake his head a couple, shaking away the headache. He places the bottle on the table and rubs his temples head a little before he picks up the glass.

“Don’t drink anymore.” Said Taeyeon as she walks up to him. “Let me ask the maid to make your food.” She turns and heads to the door. Nichkhun grabs her wrist, stop her from leaving the room.  His hand was hot and his face with white as snow. Taeyeon lifts her right hand up and moves it toward his forehead. Nichkhun grabs her hand and stops her.

            “I’m not hungry.” Said Nichkhun in a weak and soft tone. “It’s already late. Let them rest.” He let go of her hand, “You should go rest.” He picks up his glass and takes a drink.

            “I’m not tired yet.” Said Taeyeon.

            “I have to go to the main camp later. You don’t have to wait for me.”

            “Can’t you wait till tomorrow? You have not  rest for two days now.” She said worriedly.

            Nichkhun place the glass down on the table and take a step closer to her, “Why are you worry about me now?” He said. “Why does it matter if I rest or not? Another day will not kill me.”

            “You—” Taeyeon paused for a second. “You are right. Another day pass won’t hurt you.” She changed her tone. “A man like you will still have the energy to go out and have fun. It’s pity that you waste all your teacher times on you. I can see the disappointment in your father eyes as well.”

            Nichkhun was hurt by her words, “Everyone sees me like that. You, my brothers, and father…. Except for my teacher.” He said. He sees the confused look on her, “Let me tell you a story…a story that causes the little boy’s mother lives. When the little boy was just 11-year-old, he barely learns to understand everything that’s happening in the mansion. The first wife of the general was a woman with two faces. She sweet and gentle in front of the general, but behind his back, as does every little-wicked thing to get rid of people that’s in her way. The little boy mother happens to overhear her secret and reported to the general, but the general refused to listen to her. Instead, the second wife was framed of having an affair with another man and kick out of the house. The second wife remains her innocent. The little boy runs to his mother ran to his mother after seeing his father pointed the gun at his mother. The little boy looks into his father eyes and knew half of him to want to fire the bullet. Teacher Yoo’s ran into the room and stop him. The general points the gun at the ceiling and pulls the trigger. Since then the little boy knew then that no matter what an innocent do to prove their innocent, no matter how hard the innocent tries to convince and protect their loved one…. Become a waste.” Nichkhun heartbrokenly turns away from and reach the table to support him up, he stares sadly at the open space. “After my mother died and buried, not once he visited my mother grave. Only putting all his focus into the military. Before I understand everything, I always thought my father was a courageous and brave man that fear nothing, but after my mother died, everything has become clear to me.” He turns around and looks at her with sorrow eyes. “He never once kneels in front of my mother grave. Never once visit her these years. Never once treated me like his real son.” He takes a step closer. Taeyeon could see the anger and fires burning in his eyes. “You tell me…. Tell me how I am supposed to be in front of his eyes. Tell what I should do? Teacher was the only that ever show me love and caring. The only thing my father ever care was his empire. He never sees me as his son.” Nichkhun raises his voice a little as he holds back his tears. 

            Taeyeon reaches her left hand out and grabs his right arm. She looks deeply into his sad eyes. Unable to say a word.

            “He treats me a little better now because he owes me a life. A life that gives birth to me.”

            She could see how hard he’s trying to hold back his tears. Nichkhun glares at the floor. His feel lightheaded and unstable. Nichkhun tries to walk away. He takes a few steps toward the door but lost his energy and fall forward. Taeyeon catches him.

            “Nichkhun!” She called him, but he did not respond. “Sunny, call the doctor!”

           

To be continued…………………………………….